Moparts

Looking for a compact traveling jack.

Posted By: 71autoxr

Looking for a compact traveling jack. - 06/14/12 12:56 AM

Got a long road trip coming up and don;t want to be without a reliable jack in the event of roadside repair or tire change. The original Dart bumper Bender is never going back in the trunk no matter what you tell me. I'm also not carrying around a full size aluminum jack. California Car Cover has a nice small and compact jack, but big on price:

http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=231

I thought there must be a reasonable substitute. Anyone have a newer car with a usable jack? The smaller the better.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Looking for a compact traveling jack. - 06/14/12 01:02 AM

I had a '95 Nissan that had a nice screw jack in it, there is probably a good one in the back of my Toyota now too but I haven't even looked.

If I going that route, I'd just hit a junkyard and see what you find in the trunk of a medium to large car. They will be compact and capable of lifting a Dart. You should have plenty of choices.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Looking for a compact traveling jack. - 06/14/12 01:37 AM

Quote:

I had a '95 Nissan that had a nice screw jack in it, there is probably a good one in the back of my Toyota now too but I haven't even looked.

If I going that route, I'd just hit a junkyard and see what you find in the trunk of a medium to large car. They will be compact and capable of lifting a Dart. You should have plenty of choices.

I have one out of a '80s Toyota. Strong enough - apparently - for a B-body and compact enough that it fits inside the diameter of a 16" compact spare rim. 15-1/2" overall length of the screw.
Take your tape measure with you. Obviously, don't forget the crank that goes with the jack, and some of them have some slick bags for jack/crank/lug wrench/spare tools...
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Looking for a compact traveling jack. - 06/14/12 03:58 AM

90's Chevy pickups have a nice scissor jack that works good and isn't to big.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Looking for a compact traveling jack. - 06/14/12 04:48 AM

I bought a hydraulic jack at Wallyworld. I carry it in the trunk of the Corolla. Light. I have used it once already.
© 2024 Moparts Forums