Moparts

Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee

Posted By: Dougsmopars

Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 12:26 AM

Marker lamps on fenders and lamps in front bumper all work with headlamp switch in parking lamp position. When head lights are turned on fender markers go off but bumper lamps stay on. Car has a new headlamp wire harness no spliced wires. I don't know who made the harness it was in the car when i bought it. Where should i start looking for the problem? Headlamp switch may be from a 69 unsure how to tell or if there is even a difference. Second question is shouldn't the lamps in bumper go off when head lamps are turn ed on? I thought in 68 they did but 69 they didn't. Car does have a 69 style rallye dash which is why i think the switch will be a 69. Is there a difference in the head lamp switch which might cause my problem?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 01:34 AM

IMHO,you are right in that in 68 the went off and 69 they stayed on.

sounds like you have mostly 69 with the side marker swaped with the bumper lights.

just cut/splice the leads and swap them around so markers stay on and bumper light go off like a 68.

do the side markers blink with the front turn sigs?

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 02:21 AM

I'll have to check that. Hate to start cutting and splicing a new wire harness. I'd like to find out why the side markers go out with head lights on. I'm still wondering if the difference is in the headlamp switch. Bumper lights is a 2 wire plug. There are 2 one wire ends one for the side marker and the other is for fender mounted turn signals. It must be in the switch or some sort of ground issuse.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 06:13 AM

Proper behavior for a 1968 B is front markers on in parking light position, and OFF with headlights on. Side markers on both positions.

Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 12:42 PM

I think the two middle wires on the plug end may need to be reversed.

http://www.auto-wiring-diagram.com/608-charger-electrical-wiring-diagram-of-1968-dodge-6-and-v8.html

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 02:10 PM

Thats what i thought. I know that how the Plymouths are. Mine the front markers stay on in both positions like a 69 and front side markers are on in park position and go off with lights on. Looking to find the difference between 68 and 69 . Did they change the headlamp switch? I know 69 didn't have lighted side markers so the harness is correct for 68 it has the pigtails for the markers. It's a new harness and uncut.
Posted By: GTSfanatic

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 02:11 PM

Quote:

Marker lamps on fenders and lamps in front bumper all work with headlamp switch in parking lamp position. When head lights are turned on fender markers go off but bumper lamps stay on. Car has a new headlamp wire harness no spliced wires. I don't know who made the harness it was in the car when i bought it. Where should i start looking for the problem? Headlamp switch may be from a 69 unsure how to tell or if there is even a difference. Second question is shouldn't the lamps in bumper go off when head lamps are turn ed on? I thought in 68 they did but 69 they didn't. Car does have a 69 style rallye dash which is why i think the switch will be a 69. Is there a difference in the head lamp switch which might cause my problem?

You say that the fender markers go off when headlights turn on. Does the 1/4 markers go off too?

I'm not an electrical expert but. If the rear side markers do go out, I'm willing to bet the problem is either the headlight switch and/or dash wiring. If they stay on I would start troubleshooting the repro headlight harness.

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 02:13 PM

Tomany62's which plug are you speaking of? Harnes end has a 2 prong plug for front marker turn lamps in bumper and then the 2 single prong ends 1 for side marker and one for fender mounted turn signal. Mine doesn't have the fender mounts so plug is unused.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 02:15 PM

If the side markers go off with headlight switch fully on, I would think there are two wires switched at bulkhead or at switch itself. 68 dodge definitely lose park lights in front when headlights are on. Side markers should stay on in any light position, other than off.

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 02:21 PM

I don't have a 68 manuel to trace the bulkhead wires only a 69 and that won't help.
Posted By: GTSfanatic

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 02:57 PM

If indeed the 69 switch is different, I don't believe that you would have front markers at all. 69s didn't have sidemarker lights, they had reflectors.

I would say something is definetly crossed.

The yellow wire is the power feed to the park circut of the park/directional lights. The dark green is the feed to the side markers. The rectangle to the right is the head light harness bulkhead connector. I would start by visually looking at the connector and make sure that they yellow and green wires are going to their correct spaces.

If they are. Follow the yellow wire and make sure that it does go to the one of parklamp connectors.

If they both are are correct you'll need to pull off the bulkhead connector, and either use test light or voltmeter and check the operation there. If it continues it definitly in the headlight switch/or dash harness. hope this helps.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 07:32 PM

Quote:

Tomany62's which plug are you speaking of? Harnes end has a 2 prong plug for front marker turn lamps in bumper and then the 2 single prong ends 1 for side marker and one for fender mounted turn signal. Mine doesn't have the fender mounts so plug is unused.

It would be where the harness plugs into the bulkhead. Take a look at the wiring diagram I attached. It appears your parking lights are doing what you want the side markers to do and the side markers are doing what you want the parking lights to do. I think pins 2 and 5 are reversed at the bulkhead end of the harness.

Re: Front marker lights question 68 Dodge super bee - 05/19/12 08:51 PM

The yellow and green are in the correct positions at bulkhead. I'm gonna try swapping them and see if problem goes away.
© 2024 Moparts Forums