Moparts

upper control arm cam bolts

Posted By: MOPARCHAS

upper control arm cam bolts - 05/14/12 02:24 AM

dumb question does anybody have pictures of how your cam bolt washers on your upper control arms are facing (in-out) front and rear and left side versus right side
thanks Charlie
Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/14/12 03:53 AM

are you referring to the eccentric position or where the nut is located??

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/14/12 10:49 AM

yes sir thats what I am looking far
Posted By: Leigh

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/14/12 11:17 AM

This is out of a 1972 Service Manual.

Attached picture 7205503-img001(Large).jpg

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/14/12 12:49 PM

what I am looking for is pictures of how the accentic washers are facing on some of your cars
thanks Charlie
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/14/12 01:06 PM

Thats all dependent to what it takes to align.
Posted By: deaks

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/14/12 06:05 PM

You use your cam washers to set the alignment.
Mick
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/14/12 06:22 PM

Quote:

what I am looking for is pictures of how the accentic washers are facing on some of your cars
thanks Charlie

Typically, the bolt head is on the inboard sides of the UCA, with the nuts on the outboard side.

As for the rotational orientation of the eccentrics, that is all over the chart. It varies by each individual car and its caster/camber settings.
The correct position for your car is established by doing a proper front-end alignment.

(Which is what everyone here has been trying to say.)
Posted By: oldsklharo

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/14/12 08:30 PM

On my '66 Coronet 500 Vert the washer is on the inside of the A arm in the wheel well with the nut's facing forward and aft in the engine bay. Does that make sense?

What car are you working on??
Posted By: kentj340

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/15/12 04:50 AM

This is the factory installation on a 69 A body. This photo shows the driver side with bolt heads inward, nuts outward.

Attached picture 7206655-02FrontSuspension.Luppercontrolarm.1.jpg

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/15/12 04:57 AM

Passenger side front cam bolt head.

Attached picture 7206662-02FrontSuspension.Rfrontcambolt1..jpg

Re: upper control arm cam bolts - 05/15/12 05:24 AM

Passenger side front cam bolt, nut end.

I have about 1,500 disassembly photos, and that's not enough. I've gotten good use out of my cheap little digital camera.

When I re-assemble, I'll start my alignment with the cams as shown in these photos. This cam position, with the bolt at 12 o'clock on the cam, is the middle position as far as moving the UCA in/out. Consult your FSM, but the middle looks like a good place to start.

BTW, Google youtube videos on DIY front end alignment for some good ideas. The main thing is you need to get all four wheels to the exact same elevation with a level made from plastic tubing and a bucket. Use cheap linoleum squares to shim up your tire pads to the exact same water level in all four places. I think you put a garbage bag under each front wheel so you can steer without upsetting the linoleum squares.

Attached picture 7206691-02FrontSuspension.Rfrontcambolt3..jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums