Moparts

727 losing all gears

Posted By: ralphie361

727 losing all gears - 04/30/12 02:04 AM

Today I was cruising in the car and I came to a stop sign after about five minutes, the car felt like it went into neutral. I revved it a little and it came back in. Started for home and had to pull over because it was slipping so bad, shut it off to maybe let it cool. After a minute I started it up, put it in gear, and it felt good, went about a mile and did the same thing. Reverse was gone too. This car hasn't been on the road in ten years, but all of the shifts feel solid. Is it common for the filters to plug up and lose line pressure? Has anyone had a filter come apart or sludge up from sitting. This is a secondary project car, and I know that if the filter is plugged its probably from internals failing, but if I could get a summer around town out of it I would be pumped. Any thoughts?
Posted By: TheCragarKing

Re: 727 losing all gears - 04/30/12 02:07 AM

Maybe drop the pan and see whats going on?
Whats the dipstick saying?

Re: 727 losing all gears - 04/30/12 02:14 AM

Sorry, dipstick shows there is fluid within specs, but I didn't compare when the trans was working vs. not. I was happy to make it home. I probably won't get to drop the pan until Wed. night,(work, homework, bla bla) and that was going to be my first plan. I was going to replace the filter, torque the valve body, check the band adjustment and cross my fingers.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 727 losing all gears - 04/30/12 04:11 AM

Quote:

Sorry, dipstick shows there is fluid within specs, but I didn't compare when the trans was working vs. not.

Did you check fluid with it idling in neutral, at operating temp ?
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: 727 losing all gears - 04/30/12 02:28 PM

My gut feeling is you will find the oil pan full of converter crap which gets sucked up and clogs the filter. let it sit it drops away and allows you to move again.

could be a bad pump or broken pump gears
or
could be low on fluid but my gut tells me torque converter.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 727 losing all gears - 04/30/12 03:21 PM

Filter plugged with sludge.

Sheldon

Re: 727 losing all gears - 05/04/12 03:13 AM

Update! Filter was sludged up, and had remnants of a speedo gear that was lunched. Drained, refilled, and threw a pan with a drain plug I had laying around on it, and it shifts great again. I drove it around for about 20 minutes and had no problems. I know I am not out of the woods yet, I will probably drain and refill again after I drive it around for a while. There wasn't any shavings in the pan or filter, but I am still scared of what may be helping to plug the filter. Thanks for the advice!

Attached picture 7191541-DoorScoops.jpg
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: 727 losing all gears - 05/04/12 03:45 AM

Put a magnet in the pan...
Posted By: Yellow Fever

Re: 727 losing all gears - 05/04/12 03:58 AM

If you want to do a good flush, follow the forward cooler line to the rad and disconnect it and put a clear hose on it into a bucket. Start the car in neutral and keep adding while it's draining, if you have a clear hose you can see the color of the fluid. Flushed!
© 2024 Moparts Forums