Moparts

Car shuts off when it warms up

Posted By: DANA60

Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/15/12 06:42 PM

Just finished a car with someone, and it starts fine then shuts down when it warms up a bit.

Where do we start?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/15/12 06:49 PM

Determine if its electrical (likely) or fuel (less likely)
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/15/12 07:51 PM

Choke?
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/15/12 07:59 PM

overloading your fusible link?.....when it cools down...it resets and you can start it again? Must have a leak somewhere in the wiring.

possibly
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/15/12 10:01 PM

If it was the old Lean Burn system, that would be my first thought. Second thought would be the coil. Really a little more info like year and engine would help.
Posted By: DANA60

Re: Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/15/12 11:33 PM

70 Challenger, 383, just helped him put it all together. He installed Mopar elect ign. Not choke, but the coil sounds like a maybe.
Posted By: davenc

Re: Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/16/12 01:34 AM

When it shuts off, will it restart? Have you confirmed whether spark is present? I just went thru something similar and last evening found the root cause to a an intermittent connector to the distributor. Apparently the thermal expansion as the motor got up to temp, combined with the vibration of the motor running would cause the connection to open, killing the pulses from the distributor to the ignition box.
Posted By: TinCuda

Re: Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/16/12 01:47 AM

I just went through this. Mine would start and run fine for 20 minutes then die at idle. It would start right back up but die if I put it in gear. Let it cool down and repeat.

I replaced the coil and it fixed the problem.

Posted By: RangerDan440

Re: Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/16/12 03:45 AM

if its not an ignition problem (orange box?) than dont rule out the carb. I had problems with the floats on my old Holley and they would routinely stick and flood itself out after some spirited driving.
Posted By: GreenGlow

Re: Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/16/12 04:50 AM

If it has electronic ignition check the pick up in the distributor. I had one go bad on me and it was doing exactly what your talking about.
Posted By: FK5

Re: Car shuts off when it warms up - 04/16/12 05:25 AM

Quote:

If it has electronic ignition check the pick up in the distributor. I had one go bad on me and it was doing exactly what your talking about.

+1
Hall effect in the distributor is a common problem with FWD Mopars and I've had similar symptoms when they went bad.
© 2024 Moparts Forums