Moparts

leaky trans pan gasket

Posted By: 65_gt_rag_402

leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 04:44 AM

say what are you guys using for the trans pan gasket on a 727 ?
buddys car leaked with the rubber gasket and we tried a cork with both side permatex high temp orange sealer and still leaked..
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 05:07 AM

You must make sure the pan is flat flat flat....especially around the bolt holes. The trick gasket to use the steel core rubber gasket for a 518 (P2464324). That said I have yet to see a trans pan that leaked because of the gasket. Usually the pan is the culprit.

I wonder if Quaden still has any on the shelf left over from the dealership days?
Posted By: 69superbee383

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 05:08 AM

I have been using one of the new reusable ones from Mopar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Lifetime-7...b5e&vxp=mtr
Posted By: 135sohc

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 05:17 AM

Quote:

Ditto... Those things are awesome. Should be a stocking item at any dealership if you got one locally.
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 05:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto... Those things are awesome. Should be a stocking item at any dealership if you got one locally.

Likewise, but that said, I'm using mine with a cast aluminum pan with a thick flange. Dry as a bone on the outside, after a couple of on/off cycles.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 12:23 PM

also be sure it is the pan gasket leaking.

I once thought that was what I was chasing down, went through 3 gaskets, 2 pans and thought it was still leaking, turned out to be the shaft seal.

others have seen it be the 0 ring at the dipstick tube.

don't waste a lot of time and money on the pan if you have not checked above it yet.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 12:37 PM

No gasket and just use permatex the right stuff. follow the directions never had one leak in 5 years.

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 09:55 PM

Thanks for all your responses on this issue you guys ..
has anyone ever tried permatex ultra Black gasket sealer ? .. it's Suppose to work good too on gaskets .. but Heard it dries hard and very hard to scrape off later .
heard the "right stuff" is good Too.
Thanks !
Posted By: bigD

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 10:22 PM

Quote:

I once thought that was what I was chasing down, went through 3 gaskets, 2 pans and thought it was still leaking, turned out to be the shaft seal.

don't waste a lot of time and money on the pan if you have not checked above it yet.

Same here(after 2 different pans & installing reusable gasket),it was the shaft seal,D
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 10:28 PM

Quote:

buddys car leaked with the rubber gasket and we tried a cork with both side permatex high temp orange sealer and still leaked..

Gravity is a funny thing , what may APPEAR to be the pan gasket leaking could be coming from a source above the pan ... and there are a few ... cooler line fittings , dipstick tube , shift shaft seals ...

Also if he has a chrome pan and has not removed the chrome from the gasket flange he is never going to get it to seal short of welding the pan to the trans.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/09/12 11:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gravity is a funny thing , what may APPEAR to be the pan gasket leaking could be coming from a source above the pan ... and there are a few ... cooler line fittings , dipstick tube , shift shaft seals ...

Also if he has a chrome pan and has not removed the chrome from the gasket flange he is never going to get it to seal short of welding the pan to the trans.

2X especially that pesky o-ring on the tube!
Posted By: BDW

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/10/12 12:28 AM

I'd be willing to bet it's not the gasket, I changed mine 3-4 times.
Finally discovered it was 3-4 OTHER places making it look like the gasket.

Posted By: crlush

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/10/12 01:11 AM

Quote:

thought my gasket was leaking turned out it was the dipstick oring.

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/10/12 03:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hahahaha .......everything is clean and dry around the pan area except where it is leaking .. It's not a chrome pan either ...guess that's a plus but yeah........ those seem to leak always for some reason .

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/10/12 03:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

2X especially that pesky o-ring on the tube!

NOPE .........not the o-ring on the dip tube .. even that was permatexted when Installed the 727 a year ago.. That is nice and dry there.

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/10/12 03:41 AM

no........ leaking right on the front edge of the trans plain as day and a drip on both the bolts that hold the manual shift cable to the pan with the 3/8" spacers..

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/10/12 03:47 AM

buy the way............ it's not a deep pan OR Aluminum pan just the stock/standard depth 727 Pan.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/10/12 04:07 AM

Quote:

I'd guess you have a leak other than the pan gasket,as either the cork or rubber pan gasket is more than enough to seal.
Posted By: Mike P

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/10/12 12:46 PM

Just went thru this on a non mopar. It was a rebuilt trans, so everything was clean and easier to see leaks. After going thru 3 gaskets I ended up doubling up the gasket and it’s now dry as a bone.

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/10/12 03:10 PM

Quote:

Just went thru this on a non mopar. It was a rebuilt trans, so everything was clean and easier to see leaks. After going thru 3 gaskets I ended up doubling up the gasket and it’s now dry as a bone.

That could be another option ! double gasket .
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: leaky trans pan gasket - 04/10/12 04:53 PM

The "right stuff" will seal it. I had the same problem on my 03 neon and the only way it would seal is with the "right stuff" sealant. http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm
© 2024 Moparts Forums