Moparts

Major Paint Problem need Help!

Posted By: cool_cuda

Major Paint Problem need Help! - 04/08/12 05:46 PM

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a 71 Duster, but I need to do some 1/4 panel work and have encountered a problem. The car was painted in the mid- late 80's with tremclad and was wondering how can I paint over this without striping the whole car? Is this even possible?

I'm in Canada and its become even harder to find base/ clear so I will probably end up having to use water base. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: Major Paint Problem need Help! - 04/08/12 10:47 PM

This is probably more of a bump for you than an answer, but I have to question whether you even need to be concerned what kind of paint is on the car currently? It's 25 years old, it's probably all dried up and no longer reactive, certainly not like it would be if it were pretty fresh...
Posted By: Dougsmopars

Re: Major Paint Problem need Help! - 04/08/12 11:04 PM

If your going to paint the whole car just prep it and seal it before color and you will not have any problems. Use the sealer recomended for what ever top coat your going to use.
Posted By: 76Beeper

Re: Major Paint Problem need Help! - 04/09/12 12:55 AM

Quote:

I recently bought a 71 Duster

Lets see some pic's Kyle.
Posted By: Mopargnome

Re: Major Paint Problem need Help! - 04/09/12 01:56 AM

Quote:

If your going to paint the whole car just prep it and seal it before color and you will not have any problems. Use the sealer recomended for what ever top coat your going to use.

I disagree with this. I just did a 66 Nova, did not strip it, sealed it (which is something I dont generally do), then painted the car. It has been 2 months and my paint is cracking. I dug the problem areas out and its cracked below the paint I painted over. When you sand a paint job, you open it up. The solvents from the products you apply over it will seep into problem areas. It's like waking the dead. You can paint over an old finish but your rolling the dice.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Major Paint Problem need Help! - 04/09/12 02:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I disagree with this. I just did a 66 Nova, did not strip it, sealed it (which is something I dont generally do), then painted the car. It has been 2 months and my paint is cracking. I dug the problem areas out and its cracked below the paint I painted over. When you sand a paint job, you open it up. The solvents from the products you apply over it will seep into problem areas. It's like waking the dead. You can paint over an old finish but your rolling the dice.

Asking for trouble..... The stuff was never intended to be used a automotive paint...
Posted By: cool_cuda

Re: Major Paint Problem need Help! - 04/09/12 07:12 PM

Thanks guys im just going to strip her and hope I dont find more crap to deal with
© 2024 Moparts Forums