Moparts

Oil additive to use in a 72 440?

Posted By: NewbombTurkk

Oil additive to use in a 72 440? - 04/05/12 01:07 PM

I just bought a wagon with a 440 in it.....1972 model...was wondering what the safest oil is for it. another thread mentioned using zddp additive or brad penn? oil? thanks...
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Oil additive to use in a 72 440? - 04/05/12 01:22 PM

I used Valvoline VR1 with a little bit of ZDDP on my first oil change last year.

This year I am going to change the oil and just use Brad Penn.
Posted By: Junky

Re: Oil additive to use in a 72 440? - 04/05/12 04:17 PM

There is a ton of info on Moparts. Do a search for zddp or zinc.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Oil additive to use in a 72 440? - 04/05/12 04:53 PM

Typically the additives are most important on the first break in runs and for the first 3k miles. This is when the tappets and cam lobes need the zinc and phosphorus. Tim
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Oil additive to use in a 72 440? - 04/05/12 05:07 PM

IN REALITY, if it has stock valve springs in it and a stock cam you can put any oil in it and it will work just fine. Even the latest SN oils will lubricate with no problem. Literally millions of cars on the road are doing this and the only problems that come up have been on the high performance end of things where people run higher spring pressures on camshafts that accelerate the lifter much more rapidly than the stock cam in your 440.
Many will tell you to use Diesel engine oil.
I just spent a couple of hours studying Joe Gibbs Driven motor oil literature and they have some interesting points to make. The most interesting point is that ZDDP and motor oil detergents are in competition for spots on the metal surface to cling to. Diesel oil has a really high amount of detergents and so it is their contention that even though the Diesel oil has more ZDDP in it than SN gasoline engine oils, the ZDDP is less effective because not all of it can find a place to protect.
Several years ago on this board when the Diesel oil use was being discussed, one member, who was a professional engine builder, posted about a dyno run on an engine using the favorite brand of Diesel oil in which the engine failed due to a lubrication failure. He decided to switch to racing oils. Most of the other comments were that he must have made a mistake because Diesel oil was the best thing since canned peaches. But reading the Gibbs literature, I begin to wonder if he wasn't on to something.

R.
Posted By: NewbombTurkk

Re: Oil additive to use in a 72 440? - 04/05/12 05:31 PM

Good info....I figured a stock 440 wouldn't require a whole lot...I may add some zddp as insurance..........since I hate pulling motors in my older age.....
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Oil additive to use in a 72 440? - 04/05/12 05:41 PM

Quote:

IN REALITY, if it has stock valve springs in it and a stock cam you can put any oil in it and it will work just fine. Even the latest SN oils will lubricate with no problem. Literally millions of cars on the road are doing this and the only problems that come up have been on the high performance end of things where people run higher spring pressures on camshafts that accelerate the lifter much more rapidly than the stock cam in your 440.
Many will tell you to use Diesel engine oil.
I just spent a couple of hours studying Joe Gibbs Driven motor oil literature and they have some interesting points to make. The most interesting point is that ZDDP and motor oil detergents are in competition for spots on the metal surface to cling to. Diesel oil has a really high amount of detergents and so it is their contention that even though the Diesel oil has more ZDDP in it than SN gasoline engine oils, the ZDDP is less effective because not all of it can find a place to protect.
Several years ago on this board when the Diesel oil use was being discussed, one member, who was a professional engine builder, posted about a dyno run on an engine using the favorite brand of Diesel oil in which the engine failed due to a lubrication failure. He decided to switch to racing oils. Most of the other comments were that he must have made a mistake because Diesel oil was the best thing since canned peaches. But reading the Gibbs literature, I begin to wonder if he wasn't on to something.

R.

Well said....Hmmmm this seems to be becoming a habit!

Flat tappets, high spring pressures, new cam and lifters, aggressive profiles and modern low zinc oils set up a potential for problems. Worse perhaps with some oversees lifters and softer cam material.

In your case, I wouldn't worry about it though oil is cheap and it certainly wouldn't hurt to run something better.

Dave
Posted By: ChinooK440

Re: Oil additive to use in a 72 440? - 04/05/12 07:59 PM

Quaker State has a new oil out called "DEFY" that SUPPOSEDLY ??? has a higher amount of Zinc .
Higher than what ...i don,t know ,but it said BOOSTED levels of Zinc on Da bottle and was only $14.50 for a 5 quart jug at ChinaMart.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Oil additive to use in a 72 440? - 04/06/12 04:22 PM

Why bother with all the fancy crap? Rotella 10-30, any diesel oil. Cheap at Wallyworld. I use 10-40 Valvoline in the Cummins, 10-30 Rotella syn blend in the Corolla.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Oil additive to use in a 72 440? - 04/06/12 05:24 PM

Basically stock engine you will be fine with off the shelf oils. Don't need anything exotic. Just a 10/30 or 10/40 oil. I use a lot of store brand oils from Mills Fleet Farm or Walmart. Have for many years have never even had lifter noise with it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums