Moparts

Need photo of exhaust tip hangers for Challenger

Posted By: Texican

Need photo of exhaust tip hangers for Challenger - 04/03/12 07:55 PM

I have a new trunk pan in my 70 Challenger and need the correct placement (measurements or photo) of Exhaust Tip Hangers.

I would also like to know if they were originally painted or bare metal ?

Thanks for any help
Mike

Re: Need exhaust tip hanger location for Challenger - 04/04/12 01:20 AM

Cuda & Challenger do not appear to use the same location.

If I follow the measurements for the Cuda (See Photo in Link), it does not measure up. The hangers can not go into this location..

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/4947311-Trunkholes.JPG

Thanks
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Need exhaust tip hanger location for Challenger - 04/04/12 01:27 AM

Re: Need exhaust tip hanger location for Challenger - 04/04/12 02:20 AM

Awesome car

Would you happen yo have any photos of the trunk pan so I can see exactly where to drill the holes, or the general placement of the hangers ?

Good pictures of the underside though.
Thanks!
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Need exhaust tip hanger location for Challenger - 04/04/12 02:35 AM

If you look at the first photo you can clearly see the depressions where the hanger bracket mounts, it should be present on your new pan & the hole locations should be dimpled...

Re: Need exhaust tip hanger location for Challenger - 04/04/12 03:18 AM

My trunk pan is from Good Mark and does (not) have the dimples. I may just mark and drill the holes from the bottom side so I'll be sure they are lined up correctly.

Thanks
Mike

Re: Need exhaust tip hanger location for Challenger - 04/25/12 08:47 PM

Since no answer was given, thought I would detail the steps involved to locate the (exact) location of where the holes should be drilled through the trunk pan for the exhaust tip brackets / hangers.

1.) Mount the exhaust heat shield to the frame rail.
The large single tab on the back of the heat shield goes to the same size hole on the rear frame. Secure it with a bolt. The hole should line up.

2.) Run self-tapping screws through the side of the heat shield into the holes on the side of the frame rail (they should line up)

Note: The two main tabs with elongated holes on the back of the heat shield should now be in place and the holes for your exhaust hanger bracket gets mounted in the middle of those tabs.

3. Use a Sharpie and mark the center of each tab (Distance should be exact dimension of your bracket studs)...

4.) Drill the holes a little larger than the diameter of the studs that go through the trunk pan.

5.) Insert bracket through trunk pan (Studs facing down for the mechanically declined) ...You might want to put something heavy on the bracket to hold it in place while you crawl back under car to bolt it in.

6.) Once you see the studs sticking through the trunk pan, you need to place the exhaust tip "hangers" with rubber grommet over the studs, then push the heat shield over the studs.... then bolt them in place.

Perfect Fit.
Good Luck
© 2024 Moparts Forums