Moparts

Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel

Posted By: hemiclone

Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 02:27 AM

Regarding the Tuff Wheel, who has the best wheel at the best price? If I remember correctly there was a new one that came out but it had the holes near the grips(looked funny) because the leather was not riding up as high on the spokes as it should have. I have been out of the loop for a while so any input on this would be great.. Thanks
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 02:46 AM

Grant and Flaming River are the only new ones on the market that I have heard of..
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 04:01 AM

Flaming River has the holes in the spokes. But I have seen some of their recent ads, and they don't show the holes, so they might have changed them. They are pricey, though. You may want to check out the Grant...
Posted By: hemi_harvester

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 04:11 AM

I just bought a grant it is nice enough for me for my driver. The only think I don't like is I bought the spacer and it has a cheap rubber cover instead of being steel like a orginal. Its plastic or rubber and it streachs over the spacer to LOOK steel..

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 04:22 AM

Doesn't the grant have a larger diameter on the wheel? I would like the same (I believe was14"?) as the original.
Is that a cat stuck in the frame of your car!!?
Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 06:05 AM

Quote:

I think that may be the firewall where the wiper motor mounts so the cat would be under the dash.

But then again...I might be wrong.

Great picture
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 01:00 PM

Grant makes the repro which is the least expensive. However, the diameter is not original, it's slightly larger than original, which was enough to make me uncomfortable with it. I think the Dales Cuda Shop wheel @ 250 is the nicest out there in terms of grip, spokes and size accuracy.
Posted By: plumbeeper

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 02:43 PM

PG Classics has them also for $205. I have not viewed them up close yet. It might be a good idea to contact Mike Ross at www.beaparts.com to get an accurate description and price before you order.

Dave
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 02:47 PM

Flaming river wheel $$$$ Ouch .
BUT, quality may be reflected in price in this case. Me personally, I'd look at them all and buy the best one

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd340.htm
Posted By: hemi_harvester

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 03:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think that may be the firewall where the wiper motor mounts so the cat would be under the dash.

But then again...I might be wrong.

Great picture

You are Correct sir, He was in the car LQQKING thru the wiper motor hole.

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 03:34 PM

Quote:

Doesn't the grant have a larger diameter on the wheel? I would like the same (I believe was14"?) as the original.

I just measured my original Tuff wheel, and the diameter is 14 1/2"...
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 10/25/08 04:15 PM

forgeet about everything has been told. THIS is the propper one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-PLY...p4506.m20.l1116

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-AND...p4506.m20.l1116

there was couple mor of ebay sellers with those available, but they have not listed right now ( like QUICKSILVER )

Frederick carries a chromed option too.

There are a couple more originals on ebay right now, one supposelly NOS

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/10/08 04:55 PM

I just received my new $169.00 plus shipping tuff wheel from Fredrich Dodge on ebay, they said it was a accurate reprodution. The diameter is good, the spokes are good, but the grip is molded plastic! so Im now kicking myself.
I just noticed PG Classics has a wheel listed at about $200.00 and they say leather grip.
Anyone know about this wheel?
Thanks
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 12:08 AM

I have a grant, it is a bit larger but not much.
The grip is better then the original that I have and it looks close enough for me and my summer driver.
I don't like the seams position on the original grip always disliked it.
Posted By: fig426

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 01:32 AM

what about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MoPar-Tuf...A1%7C240%3A1318

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 01:36 AM

or this, a buck cheaper... I think it might be Dale's, or that guy Josh that used to sell Dale's stuff.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-TUF...p4506.m20.l1116
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 01:37 AM

Quote:

I just bought a grant it is nice enough for me for my driver. The only think I don't like is I bought the spacer and it has a cheap rubber cover instead of being steel like a orginal. Its plastic or rubber and it streachs over the spacer to LOOK steel..

oh that spacer they hve is terrible. i uesd a rim blow dadapter i had laying around. looks like the car came stock with it.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 01:40 AM

Quote:

is it bigger? i didn't know that. i know my grant tuff wheel is the same size as the stock wheel that was in my car. i love the grant. it feels great driving.

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 01:43 AM

and this one from same seller, but $179 compared to $88. I don't know what the difference between the 2 is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-PLY...06947QQtcZphoto

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 02:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

is it bigger? i didn't know that. i know my grant tuff wheel is the same size as the stock wheel that was in my car. i love the grant. it feels great driving.

Yes, the Grant is bigger. It is 15", and the orig Tuff wheel is 14 1/2". It's close, only a 1/4" bigger all the way around the perimeter.

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 04:01 AM

1/4" or possibly 1/2" doesn't sound like much but there is a big difference(my opinion)

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 04:04 AM

Quote:

and this one from same seller, but $179 compared to $88. I don't know what the difference between the 2 is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-PLY...06947QQtcZphoto

Same wheel I just purchased, different vender and different shipping cost.

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 04:08 AM

LOT OF DIFF between them... beside the ratio I THINK CHEAP ONE ( GRANT ) IS NOT THE SAME DEEP THAN THE ORIGINAL and of course the accurate repro ( or at least was in that way on earlierrs products by Grant ). Beside that, the simulated seam all around on inner edge and spokes, is REALLY GREAT on the expensive one and unexistant on the cheap one.

I saw both at Carlisle and althought I was convinced on get the expensive one by the pics when I am ready, MY CHOICE was CONFIRMED once I looked at personally both.

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 04:11 AM

Quote:

but the grip is molded plastic! so Im now kicking myself.

mmm I remember that I was able to squeeze the grip on the wheels I checked... hard to do it but still was able
Posted By: Sunroof 340

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 06:06 AM

I replace my original with the hard gripped one I purchased from Megaparts. Very pleased with it although, I used my original horn button, repop was all black, missing the white ring.

Attached picture 4805657-73340DartSport012_640x480.jpg
Posted By: Sunroof 340

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/11/08 06:13 AM

another view

Attached picture 4805665-73340DartSport011_640x480.jpg
Posted By: Suregrip

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/12/08 02:56 AM

I put a Grant re-pop on my Warlock to replace the dog-chewed original. At a glance it looks correct but it is slightly larger maybe 1/2" in diameter and the grip is not really soft foam but fairly tough but flexable.
I bought a Tuff-Wheel from Year One for my 71 Cuda project and it seemed very acurate, it was expensive and had no discounts either. Really nice reproduction though...
Posted By: 70dart360

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/12/08 03:29 PM

I got mine from a boneyard, $25. Perfect condition. Was on a later Valiant and i didnt have the tools with me to get it off, so he gave me the whole column. I have used the Grant ones, there a tad bigger bit nice for the price.
Posted By: birdboy

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/15/08 01:34 AM

Quote:

LOT OF DIFF between them... beside the ratio I THINK CHEAP ONE ( GRANT ) IS NOT THE SAME DEEP THAN THE ORIGINAL and of course the accurate repro ( or at least was in that way on earlierrs products by Grant ). Beside that, the simulated seam all around on inner edge and spokes, is REALLY GREAT on the expensive one and unexistant on the cheap one.

the $180 looks like a black horn button and the $89 looks to have the white ring. which one is correct?

Re: Looking to buy a Tuff Wheel - 11/15/08 07:16 PM

is not white ring, is silver paint in the grove. the correct finish is the silver paint, but thats a piece of cake to make by yourself
© 2024 Moparts Forums