Moparts

Zinc oil additive

Posted By: Anonymous

Zinc oil additive - 05/21/08 03:13 PM

Anybody know of a zinc oil additive for a flat tappet cam. I would hate to drain all of the Quaker State Synthetic Oil I just put in.
Posted By: stroked470

Re: Zinc oil additive - 05/21/08 03:28 PM

I just used an additive from Lucas to break mine in. There are several on the market, Jegs has several listed on there site.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Zinc oil additive - 05/21/08 03:37 PM

All the cam manufacturers sell it too.
Posted By: chagjr

Re: Zinc oil additive - 05/21/08 10:43 PM

ZDDPLUS

Re: Zinc oil additive - 05/24/08 07:39 PM

I use the comp cams stuff. They have it at my local Napa store.

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 12:39 AM

Gm EOS is back out. New part number is: 88862586

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=1052367
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 12:42 AM

Quote:

Gm EOS is back out.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=1052367

So anyone know if the chevy/pontiac etc parts departments are likely to have it on the shelf?

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 12:44 AM

Probably but you'll pay a lot more, $12.17 on my link, $19.99 at Jegs so.............
Posted By: rck850

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 03:40 AM

I just paid $21 for EOS, never again will I buy it

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 04:43 AM

Quote:

I just paid $21 for EOS, never again will I buy it

Because of the price? Care to elaborate?
Posted By: VanishPt

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 09:47 AM

i got 6 bottles of EOS from those guys a couple of months ago. Reasonable shipping.
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 10:01 AM

Quote:

Anybody know of a zinc oil additive for a flat tappet cam. I would hate to drain all of the Quaker State Synthetic Oil I just put in.

I'd just like to point out that GM E.O.S is an engine assembly lube and not a motor oil additive as stated by GM.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 10:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd just like to point out that GM E.O.S is an engine assembly lube and not a motor oil additive as stated by GM.

did they change the formulation? because the bottles I had (old part number that they quit making a few years ago) said that you can use it as engine assembly lube, and as an oil additive for engine break in.

if it's ok to put in the oil on engine break in, why can't you put it in the oil at every oil change to save your cam from zinc-less modern oils?
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 11:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

did they change the formulation? because the bottles I had (old part number that they quit making a few years ago) said that you can use it as engine assembly lube, and as an oil additive for engine break in.

if it's ok to put in the oil on engine break in, why can't you put it in the oil at every oil change to save your cam from zinc-less modern oils?

I think they've "rebranded" it - it can perform the same functions as before (break-in and/or oil additive) but they can't promote it as an additive any more for the same reasons they've taken ZDDP out of oil, namely damaging catalysts.

That's not to say whether they did or didn't change the formulation at all, I don't know about that, but I do think that's the reason for not marketing it as an additive.

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 11:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like GM has changed the recommendation on the E.O.S. I'm to understand it is currently marketed as engine assembly lube only. But I don't actually have a bottle in of it in hand to see what the current recommendation is.

For other thoughts on this, check out:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/473053/site_id/1
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 11:47 AM

This could actually be a good thing...

same old formulation that we want, with tons of zinc, but if they change the "application" to assembly lube only and NOT oil additive, then they don't need to take the zinc out to meet current EPA requirements on modern cat equiped vehicles.

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 12:34 PM

Quote:

This could actually be a good thing...

same old formulation that we want, with tons of zinc, but if they change the "application" to assembly lube only and NOT oil additive, then they don't need to take the zinc out to meet current EPA requirements on modern cat equiped vehicles.

Yes, it may be a good thing?

I’d just be a little cautious when going against manufacturers recommendations. If you decide to chance it, you’re on your own.

And, there’s always the old hot rodders adage, “If a little is good, then more is better.” Or is it? If you’re using a motor oil with a good known level of protection additives already blended in, then why worry about additives?

I reason that burnishing a new cam a lifters together for the first time is one application, normal engine operation is another. That said, I’d use the Engine Oil Supplement for the intended break-in use, drain, then add a motor oil with good ZDDP levels, and sleep soundly at night.

Posted By: SteveA

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 07:09 PM

[quote then add a motor oil with good ZDDP levels, and sleep soundly at night.

Any recommendations ?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 07:29 PM

stp oil tretment and the red bottle stp

and the stp oil stablizer in a quart bottle with a pic of king richard on it...the racers edge!

I gots about 2 doz quart bottles at a big lots 2$ a bottle...think it is not made any more though

I run the napa fleet oil in a 15-40 thats still up there in the zddp

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/26/08 09:08 PM

Quote:

[quote then add a motor oil with good ZDDP levels, and sleep soundly at night.

Any recommendations ?

Sure! The motor oils in the link are my recommendation:

http://www.competitionsynthetics.com/about/about.htm
Posted By: mrob

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/27/08 12:58 PM

Comp,
The general consensus seems to be that flat tappet engines need at least 1200 ppm of zinc dithiophosphate (aka zinc). It's hard to find such an oil in a normal retail parts store, but these should still be ok:
1) Chevron Delo 400le (non-synthetic), 15W-40, CJ-4 API rating, 1230 ppm zinc.
2) Valvoline Premium Blue (non-synthetic), 15W-40, CJ-4 API rating, 1291 ppm zinc.
I sure there are some synthetics with more than 1200 ppm of zinc and hopefully, someone else will chime in.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: Junky

Re: Zinc oil additive - 06/27/08 01:50 PM

Quote:

Comp,
The general consensus seems to be that flat tappet engines need at least 1200 ppm of zinc dithiophosphate (aka zinc). It's hard to find such an oil in a normal retail parts store, but these should still be ok:
1) Chevron Delo 400le (non-synthetic), 15W-40, CJ-4 API rating, 1230 ppm zinc.
2) Valvoline Premium Blue (non-synthetic), 15W-40, CJ-4 API rating, 1291 ppm zinc.
I sure there are some synthetics with more than 1200 ppm of zinc and hopefully, someone else will chime in.
Hope this helps.

Shell Rotella T 5W40 synthetic is 1300+ ppm zinc. $17 per gal.

Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic is 1300+ ppm zinc. $22 per 5 qt jug.
© 2024 Moparts Forums