Moparts

not running smooth

Posted By: Tadams

not running smooth - 03/16/12 08:00 PM

My 95 Dodge Ram just will not run smooth. It has 125000 miles and seems to be in good shape. I changed the oil and filter, the air filter and replaced the plugs. The old plugs looked good as does the wires. What do I need to check now?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: not running smooth - 03/16/12 08:03 PM

ever replace the timing chain?
Posted By: moparjo68

Re: not running smooth - 03/16/12 08:14 PM

When you say "plugs look good", have you checked the gap? Ever done a compression check? Have you checked the ECU for fault codes? Just something to get you started.
Posted By: Tadams

Re: not running smooth - 03/16/12 10:27 PM

Plugs were gapped correctly. The old ones were not dirty or oil covered. The timing chain has been replaced, but I don't remember exactly how long ago, maybe a year, but not that many miles have been driven in that time. There are no codes showing. I
used the truck for errands until about 8 weeks ago when I went back to work. I drive now 50 miles a day 3 days a week.
Thanks for your help.
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: not running smooth - 03/18/12 02:42 PM

if the 125k mile truck has orig.plugs,wires dist.cap.i would replace them all to start with.complete tune up too start with.
Posted By: roe

Re: not running smooth - 03/18/12 05:10 PM

Maybe the wires. I thought my wires were still good but they were shot. New wires took care of a crappy idle and running real shaky when dropping the hammer. Seemed to do it only under a heavy load so the typical pop the hood in the dark and look for a light show didn't show me the wires were bad.
© 2024 Moparts Forums