Moparts

Which mufflers flow the best?

Posted By: bogusracer

Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/11/12 06:50 AM

Looking at getting mufflers for my Cuda. Wanted to know if the Dynomax Ultra Flow SS Polished mufflers flow better than the Magna Flow SS mufflers? Trying to get the best performing muffler I can and still look relatively stock. Exhaust pipe diameter is 2.5"

Thanks for your input in advance.

Bogusracer
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/11/12 06:55 AM

This question was asked a few months back, and a helpful member posted a sheet of the top selling mufflers and how they fared against each other. The Dynomax welded Ultra Flow mufflers were tops.

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/11/12 07:16 AM

Not looking at the welded Ultra Flows. The polished stainless steel are constructed like the oem type mufflers. Those are the type I'm looking at. Any comparisons between those and the Magna Flows?

Thanks,

Bogusracer
Posted By: Tom Hand

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/11/12 02:42 PM

Bogus, the 2.5" st. st UltraFlos have a slightly larger internal pass tube and outflowed the equivalent sized Magnaflow by a few percent when comparing airflow directly through them.
Tom

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/12/12 01:50 AM

Thanks for the info Tom. I appreciate it.

Posted By: astjp2

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/12/12 02:38 AM

You can look at Jones mufflers. Tim
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/12/12 03:09 AM

Nope - Jones doesn't have anything like the Ultra Flows. The SS Ultra Flows have the spun-locked heads & they are straight through & NOTHING on the market will flow a higher cfm flow rate.
Posted By: Sixgun

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/12/12 03:22 AM

Yup.
The walker guys at MATS a few years ago said theirs were the only TRUE zero loss muffler.
That's a what they said...(three dots, no more)
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/12/12 04:54 AM

Quote:

Yup.
The walker guys at MATS a few years ago said theirs were the only TRUE zero loss muffler.
That's a what they said...(three dots, no more)

Do you believe the marketing types? I don't Test and tune to see what results you get I have a set of the older Magnaflow 14x7 inch ovals 3 inch side inlet with 3 inch center outlet on my car, it ran .03 to .04 (3 hundreds to 4 hundreds) slower in th 1/8 mile with the complete exhaust sytem on, the muffs are mounted at the rear bumper behind the rear end, and .1 to .2 MPH different. The car ran a best of 7.01 with the sytem on and a best of 6.97 with it off the weight was probally most of the gain, not the back pressure
Posted By: jeff57

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/12/12 11:14 PM

both mufflers work well,not a big diff either way. [i own a muffler shop]go with the best deal money wise and the muff's will take of themselves.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/12/12 11:29 PM

Magnaflows are cheaper knock-offs of the Dynomax welded series Race Magnums. They are straight-through. I've heard lots of complaints of Magnaflows droning really bad, sounding too quiet & "flat", & also read complaints of the outer skins splitting open from fatigue.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/13/12 02:45 AM

I noticed alot of FAST racers use the Ultra-Flows so thats why I looked at them and liked them. So I use the Ultra-Flows with a 3" X-pipe system out to the rear bumper. I always race thru the pipes as I never uncap it so I really dont know if it slows the car any. Ron
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/13/12 03:53 AM

Just for the sake of discussion-

Last time I looked at mufflers, I noticed that the box, I think Dynomax, said they flowed either 500-700 CFM.

So if you have two mufflers, does it really make any difference if you are running a 650-800 CFM carb?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/13/12 12:47 PM

Quote:

Nope - Jones doesn't have anything like the Ultra Flows. The SS Ultra Flows have the spun-locked heads & they are straight through & NOTHING on the market will flow a higher cfm flow rate.

ever flow your own mufflers to see how they do?
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Which mufflers flow the best? - 03/13/12 01:26 PM

got these charts from another site a while back..

2 1/2" mufflers http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/muffler%20flow/2.5%20muffdata.xls

3" mufflers http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/muffler%20flow/3%20muffdata.xls
© 2024 Moparts Forums