Moparts

RAM TRANS SHIFTING ISSUES

Posted By: MoparGary7272

RAM TRANS SHIFTING ISSUES - 03/05/12 03:10 AM

I replaced my blown 93 d150s trans(a518) with one from a 94... All I needed to replace was the input shaft. The trans shifts fine under regular driving but when you floor it to pass it's hangs up in gear and feels flat . Also going up hills it dogs it up and on the highway it struggles getting to 70... Fluid is correct atf +4 and level. can the TV cable be adjusted on the 318 magnums? Is this a solenoid failure? How can I get the truck to run accurately again?
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: RAM TRANS SHIFTING ISSUES - 03/05/12 03:14 AM

I'm not sure what the problem is in your case, but I don't think your truck should have solenoids. I think they started in 96 when everyone went to OBDII. It should still be a straight juice (hydraulic) transmission. Why did you have to change the input shaft? Was your original tranny a non lockup? Is so, why didn't you just change the TC and all and make it a lock up?
I replaced the solenoids in my 96 tranny cause the symptom was because it would hang onto gears like it was in eternal kick down mode. I would have to take my foot all the way off the throttle to make it shift, sounds like you have a different problem
Posted By: MoparGary7272

Re: RAM TRANS SHIFTING ISSUES - 03/05/12 03:25 AM

The TC was the one with the trans the shaft I changed was the one on the driveshaft cuz the splines were different.. I'm pretty sure there's a solenoid in it... Behind the trans filter... It does hang up at times. When I go to accelerate it should do so smoothly... And not rev high with out moving hardly faster
Posted By: 383man

Re: RAM TRANS SHIFTING ISSUES - 03/05/12 04:02 AM

Is the trans downshifting when you floor it and then does it upshift when picking up speed ? Ron
Posted By: ralphie361

Re: RAM TRANS SHIFTING ISSUES - 03/06/12 04:44 AM

I don't know if it is the cause of your problem, but the tv cable can be adjusted. There is a button where it latches onto the throttle body and it slides to adjust length. I don't know if they have different ratio levers on the transmissions like the older 727s, but it might be worth comparing the new one to your original also.

Attached picture 7105413-tvcable.gif
© 2024 Moparts Forums