Moparts

Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations

Posted By: Chi_Town_Runner

Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/14/12 10:48 PM

I'm looking to replace my exterior door handles on my '68 RR. Most I have seen have the chrome button. My car came with the black button.
I know I had seen some advertised but for the life of me I can't remember the vendor (old age I guess).

Anybody have recommendations where to purchase.

Thanks
Frank
Posted By: johnedod

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/15/12 03:55 AM

My replacements had chrome buttons so I took them apart and replaced them with my black buttons. I got one from a friend and bought one from R/T specialties. They're probably all about the same I'd just shop for the best price.
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/15/12 03:03 PM

Frank,

I pretty much did the same thing - just swap the black buttons over to the new chrome handles. While I had the buttons off the old handles I lightly buffed the plastic to make them look brand new again. I just looked through all my pictures but never took a close up shot of the door handles. Another upgrade I did was to install the reinforcement plates inside the door. They made a nice difference in making the handle feel more solid. I picked them up at Carlisle one year and I can't remember the vendor's name but I'm sure someone will chime in with the info.

Great looking car you have there...

Attached picture 7072331-DCP02460.JPG

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/15/12 06:00 PM

Thanks John & Jim,

I'm still undecided whether to have my originals re-chromed or just replace them. They function fine but the original chrome is very weathered.

BTW, Jim, I'll be talking to my paint guy this week about doing the hood black-out treatment you and I had talked about.

Thanks again,

Frank

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/15/12 09:21 PM

Frank,
I still have my original handles and even though the car was low mileage they still looked like 40 year plus factory chrome... I looked at my spread sheet and saw they I picked those up in July '04 for about $120/pair so I assume Carlisle and not sure if NOS/repro/new issue. I thought that the B-Body handles were same as Dodge truck???- can't remember... I did see that the reinforcement plates were just $30 (in '08) and made of stainless steel - again I think they are a nice upgrade.
Good luck with the painter.

Jim
Posted By: scamper340

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/16/12 01:30 AM

Hi Jim, it looks like you used a sealer between the door skin and the reinforcing plate. Was that just to hold the plate in place or was there another reason.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/16/12 07:41 AM

The "Mopar" repo handles are left overs from the B van and 70s trucks, they fit but not perfectly as the OEM ones..

I have heard the aftermarket handles fit better..

I used the Mopar handles , swapped the buttons, and they are not fittling exactly right...

The Mopar gaskets are not so nice either, so I bought some from soft seal, that were basically foam, that was junk and would up in the trash..I repained the 40 yr old gaskets and used them.

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/16/12 02:20 PM

Quote:

Hi Jim, it looks like you used a sealer between the door skin and the reinforcing plate. Was that just to hold the plate in place or was there another reason.

I noticed that too after I posted the picture. In all honesty I can't remember if I had a good reason at the time (present day senior moment...). I don't recall if the vendor mentioned it or not so so it may be nothing more that it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm pretty sure it is nothing more than regular RTV so functionally it would provide a seal in case water ever migrated down past the window whiskers, although not much of a chance of that happening as the car does not see much rain... The RTV could also prevent it from any rattles or vibrations. Good eye.

Jim

Attached picture 7073924-DCP02454.JPG
Posted By: chromedome426

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/16/12 04:53 PM

PG Classics has the handles with the black buttons, so I would assume BE&A would carry them too.

I like the idea of the plate.
Posted By: myrddin

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/16/12 05:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I noticed that too after I posted the picture. In all honesty I can't remember if I had a good reason at the time (present day senior moment...). I don't recall if the vendor mentioned it or not so so it may be nothing more that it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm pretty sure it is nothing more than regular RTV so functionally it would provide a seal in case water ever migrated down past the window whiskers, although not much of a chance of that happening as the car does not see much rain... The RTV could also prevent it from any rattles or vibrations. Good eye.

It's in the installation instructions, and the vendor is Dynamic Renovation

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 02/16/12 06:04 PM

Thank you to Travis (Chromedome) & Bill (myrddin) for the leads.

Jim,
I like the additional door handle support. Thanks again.

Frank
Posted By: dalescudashop

Re: Exterior door handle replacement '68 RR recommendations - 03/06/13 01:46 PM

We have them at Dales Cuda Shop on Ebay
© 2024 Moparts Forums