Moparts

HP loss 1 1/2" Shorty v 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers ?

Posted By: finadk

HP loss 1 1/2" Shorty v 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers ? - 02/09/12 08:05 PM

My engine is a 408 Stroker with Edelbrock Aluminum Heads (Out of the box with a bit of clean up work in the ports) 10:1 compression, Cam is a Racer Brown 236/236 @ .050. Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake and FAST EZ-EFI. The car is a 56 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer. My best guess is that this combo will be in the 500 HP range.

My only option for headers is to use shorty truck headers with 1 1/2" tubes. How much HP am I be leaving on the table by going with these as opposed to 1 7/8" long tube headers?

you can see from this pic but the Upper control arm is much closer otthe exhaust port thant it looks.
Posted By: kick_the_reverb

Re: HP loss 1 1/2" Shorty v 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers ? - 02/09/12 08:32 PM

How about this, looks like it might work:
http://www.spintechmufflers.com/headers/street-car-headers/dodge/cat_63.html
Expensive but might be worth it.

They have other models at 1 3/4" if you click around.

Ran

Re: HP loss 1 1/2" Shorty v 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers ? - 02/10/12 05:11 AM

Thanks,
I will look into them but I tried a set of A body Mopar Performance long tube headers and there other inference issues such as hitting the floor and issues around the steering linkage.

Re: HP loss 1 1/2" Shorty v 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers ? - 02/11/12 12:20 AM

Did you look at the link I gave you?
These are DAKOTA headers. They look totally different than A body headers, so I am not sure why you are telling me about your A body header fitment experience. I looked at the picture you posted of your vehicle and thought that what I suggested would work.

Ran

Re: HP loss 1 1/2" Shorty v 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers ? - 02/11/12 03:32 AM

Thank yon Ran,
Sorry I was looking at it on a iPhone and missed that they were Dakota headers. Don't know where I got A body from.
Looks like you managed to find exactly what I am looking for.
Scott

Re: HP loss 1 1/2" Shorty v 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers ? - 02/13/12 01:10 AM

Het Ran,
Thanks again on the lead to the Dakota headers, I got an ebay deal last night for a set of Doug Thorley Tri- Y's for a great price.

Re: HP loss 1 1/2" Shorty v 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers ? - 02/13/12 11:32 PM

Good to hear, hope the Tri-Y's work well for you.
Anyway, for anyone looking for shelf 1 7/8" headers with a totally different routing then the normal car headers, check out the Spintech (probably cheaper than paying to custom build).

Good luck,
Ran

Re: HP loss 1 1/2" Shorty v 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers ? - 03/06/12 05:04 AM

The Doug Thorley's were a beautiful piece but did not fit, they ended up hitting the firewall.

It looks like the Spintech mid-length Dakota/Durango Headers might do the trick. They are a bit expensive but they include a port plate so the tubes are not squished.

Thanks again for the info on them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums