Moparts

What spark plugs do you like?

Posted By: lahatte

What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 01:00 AM

I need to change the plugs in my 440, low compression engine. Holley 750 DP Carb. What plugs do you like for this application?

Oh, stock electronic ignition.
Posted By: roe

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 01:06 AM

I have Autolite Platinums in my smallblock with PertronixII ignition. I also run the bosch platinums. I think Im going to try the Autolite Double Platinums next and see how I like em. Ive never had anyproblems with the Autolites

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 01:08 AM

Ultimately, my engine is developing a miss. Since it's liely the factory build, it could be due to a failing lifter. But I thought I would change the plugs and wires first.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 01:48 AM

I like NGK plugs, most parts stores sell them.

Might want to pull your valve covers and make sure that you don't have a cam lobe going flat. By pulling of the coil wire you can crank the engine and watch each valve go up and down to eliminate that possibility. I think it is hard to do a compression test on a 440 with headers, a compression test would be best. Good luck with it.

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 01:50 AM

This one has the stock manifolds, but a compression test is still a bit of a pain.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 02:41 AM

NGK or Champions. Autolite is Chinese now. Bosch and any platinum plug is a bandaid unless the system was designed to run them.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 02:46 AM

Stock heads RJ12YC champions
Posted By: 383man

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 04:38 AM

Been using Autolites since the late 70's. Ron
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 04:58 AM

Quote:

I need to change the plugs in my 440, low compression engine. Holley 750 DP Carb. What plugs do you like for this application?

Oh, stock electronic ignition.

Your best off sticking with Autolites using the stock electronic ignition

I myself run Bosch Platinum single or double eletrode on my cars, but they are Petronix equipped
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 04:59 AM

For a standard (non-platnum) plug, I have been using NGK brand and I have not had any spark plug related problems. For the newer cars where spark plug changes are 60,000 miles or more I have been using the Autolite Double Platnum plugs. I never really compared different brands of double platnum plugs, so I'm not sure of whos brand is good or bad?
Posted By: therocks

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 12:32 PM

I ran Autolites since the 60s.Changed to NGKs.Better idle and seems to have a bit more go also.Just put a set in the wifes PT also.Ran Champions and Autolite platinums and would develop an intermitten miss.NGKs so far no miss.Rocky
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 01:36 PM

Quote:

I myself run Bosch Platinum single or double eletrode on my cars

You're joking, right?

Why run a double?
Posted By: DennisH

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 02:08 PM

NGK.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 02:11 PM

N G K, CHAMPION!
Posted By: ireland383

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 02:29 PM

I run Champs and Mexican Autolites.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 02:49 PM

Champion , or NGK for Mopars, Autolites, or AC for GM, and motocraft for the ferds, also NGK for Ferds.

Kasey
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 03:19 PM

Always used Champion on my mopars.
Posted By: chargincharles

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 03:56 PM

Mopars use Champion.
Period.

Every Mopar I have ever owned (or currently own) ran better using them.

Old Mopars- all my Chargers, Trucks and current 5th ave- standard copper Champions as called for by the service manual.
Newer Mopars- my SRT, Caliber, Stratus- same as above. But I did use Champion Platinum in the SRT and Caliber. Stratus has the good ol' copper ones.

CC.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/01/12 04:00 PM

Quote:

Mopars use Champion.
Period.

Every Mopar I have ever owned (or currently own) ran better using them.

Old Mopars- all my Chargers, Trucks and current 5th ave- standard copper Champions as called for by the service manual.
Newer Mopars- my SRT, Caliber, Stratus- same as above. But I did use Champion Platinum in the SRT and Caliber. Stratus has the good ol' copper ones.

CC.

The new champions suck,imo they are not the same plug as they were years ago. Use NGK they are worlds better, I'm sure.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/02/12 02:18 AM

I use Autolites in a DD tho as said prob outsourced & I'm sure there's a better plug avail for my "good" car. No probs so far
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/02/12 03:02 AM

Best plug I have used so far is Denso iridium plugs,always have liked NGK or Denso plugs in every engine.
Gus

Attached picture 7049078-savoyburnout.jpg
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/02/12 03:19 AM

You have got to be joking ! Someone who thinks Bosch are OK? Those are the worst plugs I have ever seen! By far! I am a full time mechanic and have been for the last 15 years and have seen sooooooooo many people do there own tune-up and bring us the car a week later and want to know why it runs worse than it did with 100,000 mile (any brand)old plugs, %99 of the time it is because they put some Bosch plugs of some sort in it. I only remember that happening one time and it was not a Bosch, it was an autolite. Personally I like NGK or Denso and every engine works fine with them, either a company makes good plugs or they don't, just like oil filter companies make good filters (everything but Fram) or they don't(Fram). I see no middle ground in either product. Really good advertising and crappy products or vise versa, that is the same reason you see so many Fords on the road, good advertising crappy product. We install NGK as a standard practice in my shop and have never had a comeback for them.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/02/12 03:26 AM

I like Champions but I never had a problem with Autolites either.

Some people say run Champions in SB's and Autolite's in BB's.
Posted By: rallye73

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/02/12 04:41 AM

I run Champions in everything except my SRT-4. I run NGK in the SRT. The Champions do hold up better when using race fuel than the NGK's. I've ran both in the SRT, and could only get about 5k out of the NGK's during race season. The Champion showed no sign of wear with the race fuel. Only reason I run the NGK now is Mopar recommends them with the Stage 3 turbo upgrade.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/02/12 05:46 AM

Quote:

Stock heads RJ12YC champions

Posted By: dOc …

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/02/12 05:52 AM

I beez liking my J11Y Champions
Posted By: therocks

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/02/12 04:53 PM

Hot Rod Dave I agrre with you 110%.Bosch are total junk.I cant count how many I replaced at work because they were missing.My buddy put a set that were like 8 bucks each in his old Buick.I replaced them with ACs and it eliminated the miss he had.They were like a month old.Ive probally replaced a few thousand in the last 30 years because they are junk.My kid put a set in a 61 Polara BB we had.Rant them for like 3 months.Wouldnt start and always didnt idle smooth.I put a set of Autolites in and it fired right up and smoothed out.Rocky
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/02/12 05:44 PM

I prefer the Champions. I tried Autolites once when there was a thread like this and the consensus seemed to be that Autolites were better but the car did seem to run better with the Champions. I know that as long as the heat range is the same it should not matter, but the Champions just seemed to idle cleaner and had sharper response. Also the Champions dont turn all rust colored like the Autolites and they are easier to read because they are nickel plated or whatever they, instead of black oxide coated like the Autolites.

On another note I will say CHAMPIONS DO NOT SWIM! If you foul them they WILL NOT WORK RIGHT EVER AGAIN! I've fouled Autolites and they will work, just not well. Ive fouled Champions and the engine just flat out refuses to run.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: What spark plugs do you like? - 02/03/12 06:14 PM

I have been having really good luck with AC plugs lately. I also run a lot of Autolite 86s and I've still got some Champion RJ17YC in the rotation, got'em for $10 for a carton of 50 some years ago at the Winter Swap Meet in Denver. I use an extended tip spark plug whenever I can. My '64Dog uses so much oil that I am changing plugs often. I thought the super hot Champions were going to do the trick but they aren't any better and after a couple of cycles of cleaning have about a 30% failure rate. Bummer. The Autolites and the ACs work and will clean up and work again.
Tip: Put the dirty plugs in the oven at 550 or if you have a self-cleaning oven run them through a cycle, although I haven't tried that higher temp yet. I also found that soaking them in Ospho first aids the cleaning process.

Also, if you're willing to do the work there are usually many vintage new plugs on the 'bay.

R
© 2024 Moparts Forums