Moparts

Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440?

Posted By: 74RALLYE

Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 06:36 PM

What's the best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440 with iron heads and a Performer RPM intake?
I don't think I need the heat as this is a sunny day car.
Thanks.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 06:41 PM

get a valley pan w/o the holes in it. Or you can cut up and old one and block them off yourself.

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 06:43 PM

Just cut a rectangle and glue it in place?
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 06:50 PM

Mopar performance part number P4286825
Summit has it listed for $19.95
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4286825/

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 06:54 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 06:57 PM

You should be able to buy it local thru felpro and save on the shipping .
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 06:59 PM

Felpro 1215.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 07:02 PM

i did this.

Attached picture 7034938-100_0288.jpg
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 07:02 PM

Quote:

Just cut a rectangle and glue it in place?

that will work.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 07:32 PM

Quote:

i did this.

Lewt I like that & I'm gonna try it. I like mileage/cold weather driveability on my DD

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 08:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i did this.

Lewt I like that & I'm gonna try it. I like mileage/cold weather driveability on my DD

best of both worlds!
Posted By: feets

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 10:22 PM

Quote:

get a valley pan w/o the holes in it. Or you can cut up and old one and block them off yourself.

I had one of those FelPro valley pans. The ports were stamped but not removed.
One of them blew out of the valley pan, went through the exhaust port, traveled down the header, and took out one of my turbos.
When you've got a turbine blade spinning at 100,000+ rpm it's not a good idea to toss a little chunk of sheet metal in there.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/24/12 10:44 PM

I have never done it this way but I have had a Bud weld-in(tac-in) ONLY ON ONE SIDE a little square plate IN the intake cross-over port.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 07:58 AM

I just have my intake welded up. Ron
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 08:09 AM

I did this...

Attached picture 7036035-cc60919cnc60929.jpg
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 09:21 AM

Aluminum heads do a good job of removing that pesky crossover
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 11:33 AM

Quote:

I did this...

Me too

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 01:45 PM

I like the idea of plugging the heads. It seems like that would keep more heat away from the intake. I may be able to have the ports on the intake welded shut instead as my heads are cast iron.

What driving conditions benefit from having the exhaust crossover open? Is it needed?

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 03:16 PM

Quote:

I like the idea of plugging the heads. It seems like that would keep more heat away from the intake. I may be able to have the ports on the intake welded shut instead as my heads are cast iron.

What driving conditions benefit from having the exhaust crossover open? Is it needed?

Cold mornings , cold weather driving .
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 03:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i did this.

best of both worlds!

WOW! NICE!.

done at manifold I guess! I don't find a place in head to make that

Wondering about leaks through the lever shaft hole ?

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 06:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i did this.

best of both worlds!

WOW! NICE!.

done at manifold I guess! I don't find a place in head to make that

Wondering about leaks through the lever shaft hole ?

its done in the manifold. no leaks, noise or carbon tracking. lets me drive in hot or cold weather. i believe the manifolds need a certain amount of heat to drive properly. the challenge is regulating the heat. complete block offs aren't any good in cooler temps, 50's or below. fully open heat isn't any good 70's and above. the valve in the intake gives the driver choices. i have used the blocked heat gaskets and drilled or punched a 1/2"-5/8" in the block offs to get some heat without going overboard. its a compromise but does help. i used to do the complete block off back in the day but got away from that years ago.

Attached picture 7036426-100_0289.jpg

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 07:16 PM

thinking that using an aluminum head without a heat crossover will cure the intake manifold heat problem isn't true. people who buy aluminum heads don't put cast iron intakes on them,.. well normal people don't. aluminum soaks up and radiates heat. an aluminum intake will just soak the heat from the heads. if the head runs 180f the intake will be very close to that. 180f is too hot for today's fuels. i can only think of two paths to go here. heat spacer under the carb for summertime (manifold still gets too hot), or some intake manifold mods. take a que from the victor or air gap intakes. removing material from around the plenum can reduce heat transfer and let a little air circulate around the manifold. still no real world multi-purpose cure but a step in a "cooler" direction.

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 09:49 PM

Quote:

thinking that using an aluminum head without a heat crossover will cure the intake manifold heat problem isn't true. people who buy aluminum heads don't put cast iron intakes on them,.. well normal people don't. aluminum soaks up and radiates heat. an aluminum intake will just soak the heat from the heads. if the head runs 180f the intake will be very close to that. 180f is too hot for today's fuels. i can only think of two paths to go here. heat spacer under the carb for summertime (manifold still gets too hot), or some intake manifold mods. take a que from the victor or air gap intakes. removing material from around the plenum can reduce heat transfer and let a little air circulate around the manifold. still no real world multi-purpose cure but a step in a "cooler" direction.

Any of the new vehicles I have been in run the water temp at 210* , there has to be some heat transfer even if the intake is plastic of some sort .

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/25/12 09:58 PM

john, plastics, phenolic or whatevers don't transfer or hold heat like metal. this isn't an apples to apples comparison. fuel injection, better designed induction, VVT, computers, no fuel bowls or related stuff laying stagnant. this is like comparing a mule to a thoroughbred. i stand by comments.
Posted By: bfury

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/26/12 12:34 AM

This is old school cheap and dirty. I'm sure some will dismiss it but it works. Make an aluminum foil ball and push it into the crossover port in the head. Cut a rectangle of thin sheet metal to go over the crossover port and use a paper type gasket. It always worked.

Re: Best way to block off exhaust crossover on a 440? - 01/26/12 06:42 PM

Quote:

i did this.

I like the valve in the intake!
Are both sides blocked off with separate valves?
How did you get the seal to work for the rod through the manifold?
© 2024 Moparts Forums