Moparts

What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors

Posted By: bronco9588

What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/17/12 09:01 PM

So I have been shopping around for a mini-starter and can't help but ponder the ebay mini-starter motors. They have just as good claims for starters being 3X the cost on summitracing. Are they just going to burn up after 5 starts, or are they actually descent motors?
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/17/12 10:10 PM

I got mine off ebay from DB Electrical. Used it all last season. Been awesome so far.
Posted By: Belvedere2

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/17/12 11:48 PM

Got mine from the same place; DB Electrical. Been good so far.
Posted By: MY340

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/18/12 12:09 AM

Quote:

2 years on mine.
Posted By: bronco9588

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/18/12 01:30 AM

Good to know... Looks like they are $76 on ebay.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/18/12 11:56 AM

Probably all from the same factory (China) anyway.

If you want to spend more money, get a Denso made-in-Tennessee one.

Rick
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/18/12 03:53 PM

Quote:

same here.
I have 2 of them in service with no complaints.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/18/12 04:37 PM

i got mine off ebay,cant remember the name but in the add he claims to REBUILD the starters in the USA i only paid 35.00 5 years ago,its on a 10.to1 compression street motor.i think the last one i bought last year from the same guy was up to like 45 bucks.their not new starters but when he says he rebuilds them the guy must know his stuff cause mine work great.i think the guys ebay name is: A-1 truck:
Posted By: cjskotni

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/18/12 04:43 PM

Do what I did. I bought my starter from Autozone or Advance for 60$ or so. It works great on my 499 stroker with 10.5:1 compression.

Get the OEM starter for a early 90's Dodge RAM with the 5.2L.....same exact item as the mini-starter...bolted right up to my BB.

Lifetime warranty, local returns....done!
Posted By: bonefish

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/18/12 04:59 PM

Quote:

Do what I did. I bought my starter from Autozone or Advance for 60$ or so. It works great on my 499 stroker with 10.5:1 compression.

Get the OEM starter for a early 90's Dodge RAM with the 5.2L.....same exact item as the mini-starter...bolted right up to my BB.

i never have much luck with the az or comprable alts or starters.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/19/12 03:11 PM

Those ebay $70 starters are the same as Mancini's $125 starters.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/19/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i never have much luck with the az or comprable alts or starters.

Guess it's just the luck of the draw. I never had any problems and can just pick em up. No waiting for the UPS truck. I get em from Car Quest but I would think they all get em from the same rebuilder. Can't they be had new from the dealer still?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/19/12 03:25 PM

Quote:

Those ebay $70 starters are the same as Mancini's $125 starters.

Yup, and they're all the same as junkyard magnum truck engine starters that you can pick up for $15 and they never seem to die!

as much as I hate Ebay, it seems that with all this off-shore manufacturing, whatever we can buy from our "trusted mopar parts supplier" we can find it on ebay at half price for the exact same item.

I bought a set of hughes roller rockers for a Magnum headed small block... he had the best price that I had seen on all the roller rockers, $250 for the set.

they came in and have "350" etched into them, and the box said "chevy parts" then I find out that on Ebay, the exact same roller rockers are being sold, advertised as a small block chevy roller rocker, and the whole set is only $100.

Hughes is marking them up $150!!!!
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/19/12 04:45 PM

FWIW you can walk into any parts store and get a re-manned unit for cheaper. I've used a few w/o issue.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/19/12 08:13 PM

And years after use the usual wear items {contacts and plunger} are dirt cheap...Less than 20 bucks...Can't go wrong with a mini...
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/19/12 09:48 PM

We bought 2 of them from the rebuild guy on ebay one for the hemi and one for my cuda it spins the hemi over like its a 4 cyl. Lol think it was 30-40 bucks
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/24/12 06:23 PM

Quote:

We bought 2 of them from the rebuild guy on ebay one for the hemi and one for my cuda it spins the hemi over like its a 4 cyl. Lol think it was 30-40 bucks

Got a name?
Posted By: BDW

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/25/12 01:28 AM

Contact this guy directly, picked up mine for $55 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-MINI-START...=item231900d0a8

A1 Truck & Auto Parts
3510 Atwater Blvd
Atwater, CA95301
(209) 357-8973
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/25/12 01:34 PM

Been a customer and supporter of DBElectrical in Johnson City, TN on here for quite a while.

Great price, reliable parts, excellent Technical service if you need it.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/25/12 02:35 PM

Quote:

I agree, did the same thing, except with Pepboys. Luckily haven't had to return it yet but if I ever burn it up, getting another one free is hard to beat.
Posted By: Barnabas_Kriss

Re: What is the Catch with ebay Starter Motors - 01/25/12 07:25 PM

I bought one off ebay too, have been using it for a year. Works just as well as the OEM Mopar one in my other car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums