Moparts

No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help

Posted By: MonGoo$e

No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 02:16 AM

right when the real cold of winter flares up, my truck decides it doesn't need to keep me warm anymore. Basically it started the other day with ...stays cold after about 20 minutes of run time, then gets sorta warm...well tonight I ran it 50 minutes on the interstate and I could still see my breath in front of me as i got to the house..my toes are numb.

I noticed that the factory temp gauge would go from Cold...slowly crawl to Hot, then instantly drop down to a mid range level...seems to do it nearly everytime.

I checked the heater hoses after shutting it off..they are only warm from the engine heat...the top radiator hose is fairly warm..the bottom one is warm from the engine heat..nothing feels toasty hot.

Any input? 150,000 miles, i replaces pump about a year and a half ago.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 02:19 AM

replace the t-stat
Posted By: stumpy

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 02:23 AM

Check the water level and antifreeze mix. I had a weak af mix in one of my cars and it actually froze when I drove without letting the engine warm up. Darn near cost me a motor before I caught it.
Posted By: horsepower.2007

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 02:29 AM

If anyone has ever run stop-leak through the system there is a good chance the heater core is plugged. If so, you will have to remove both heater hoses and flush core both ways.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 02:30 AM

sounds like no coolant or air in the system
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 02:36 AM

Quote:

sounds like no coolant or air in the system

if the gauge went to hot then drops... its
low on coolant and then it got a slug of coolant
Posted By: 2cudabuck

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 02:50 AM

I've got the same problem in my 98 V8 dak. However, I noticed a tiny drip when I'm running the heater coming from a weep tube about middle of the firewall near the bottom. My diagnosis seems clear, someone put stop leak in it, it completely plugged it with the exception of the leak out of the condensate hose. I'll be putting in a new core and flushing.
Posted By: RV2

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 02:58 AM

I have a 92 with the same problem, haven't been worried about it but now its getting cold out.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 05:19 AM

The heater core gets easily clogged. If you don't flush the system regularly, just flush your heater core by disconnecting the hoses and running water thru the core. Chances are if you disconnect them at the firewall, you will see the blockage. Run the outlet hose into a catch can. I bet it will look like mud coming out. Do that before you change T stats or spend any money onany expensive service.
Posted By: MonGoo$e

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 06:52 AM

thanks for the advice guys, I'll try and mess with it tomorrow as I have another day off.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 06:03 PM

My 93 V6 would do the gauge thing, go from cold to almost pegged, than back down. It would fry your feet if kept at highest hot.

Sounds like a blockage or air. Have you put the hoses on backwards maybe?
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: No heat in 96 Dakota V6,,help - 01/03/12 11:58 PM

Sounds like your blower works, but no heat?

My '90 3.9 Dakota would not product heat brand new off the dealer lot. Defective thermostat was stuck open. New thermostat got the heat back. On a higher mileage truck though, I'd agree an air bubble or heater core blockage.

I did have a friend that had a F250 diesel with no heat. His problem was a big air bubble in the heater core, system had to be burped, then he had heat.
© 2024 Moparts Forums