master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Quote:

hey guys,

the kit i bought is from coast high performance and it cost 1300 for probe forged pistons, rings, bearins, scat I beams, and the 9000 cast crank including internal balancing at no extra charge. The only reason im worried is because i saw someone on another forum snap one in two peices with a 4 speed...but, there are alot of guys with cast cranks it seems with good luck...seems like there is a good and bad...Im going to call coast high and see how much it will be to upgrade, but if its outta my range, im gonna cross my fingers and go for it with the cast

i was hoping to get real world experience with the cast and 4 speeds, but with the rarity of 4 speed racers, its kinda hard to.

thanks, and if anyone else wants to share i appreciate any and all input

I would be worried with the 4 speed nad just a note, for $2400 you could have had a forged stroker kit.

1000 dollars more aint in the picture lol

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: Streetwize] #905141
01/15/11 04:57 PM
01/15/11 04:57 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

I'd also put 500 hp at the limit, my 511 horse 427" small block Cobra has a cast crank with a 5 speed, but in a light car it's almost impossible to load the motor up very hard on the street.

The heavier the car the more resistence/load you have countering the inherent twisting motion of the crank, if you get into a detonation situation under full-hook/high load and bad things can happen. If you're going to run on street tires I think 500 is safe in an A body, but if you're running Drag Radials or better and really plan on thrashing it around invest in a little extra piece of mind.

As said by the time you balance a cast crank you don't wind up saving much over a forging

the balance job is free on the cast crank, im not paying for the internal balance

one question i have also is, in strength, would the stock cast crank be stronger than the scat? we all know that there are many PUSHING stock cast cranks hard in 360's, im wondering if the scat is more fragile

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: mshred] #905142
01/15/11 05:06 PM
01/15/11 05:06 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

I'd also put 500 hp at the limit, my 511 horse 427" small block Cobra has a cast crank with a 5 speed, but in a light car it's almost impossible to load the motor up very hard on the street.

The heavier the car the more resistence/load you have countering the inherent twisting motion of the crank, if you get into a detonation situation under full-hook/high load and bad things can happen. If you're going to run on street tires I think 500 is safe in an A body, but if you're running Drag Radials or better and really plan on thrashing it around invest in a little extra piece of mind.

As said by the time you balance a cast crank you don't wind up saving much over a forging

the balance job is free on the cast crank, im not paying for the internal balance

one question i have also is, in strength, would the stock cast crank be stronger than the scat? we all know that there are many PUSHING stock cast cranks hard in 360's, im wondering if the scat is more fragile

I trust the stock 360 crank more than I would the others. I do push mine pretty hard and know one day what could happen. now I don't know who made the early mopar cranks but they are pretty strong for what they are.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: Quicktree] #905143
01/15/11 05:10 PM
01/15/11 05:10 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I trust the stock 360 crank more than I would the others. I do push mine pretty hard and know one day what could happen. now I don't know who made the early mopar cranks but they are pretty strong for what they are.

when you say made the early mopar cranks, im assuming a not stock in the block one, but a mopar performance crank? if so, I have seen many say scat made the cranks, but im not 100% sure...I know scat makes the cast cranks in the MP crate engines

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: mshred] #905144
01/15/11 05:12 PM
01/15/11 05:12 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

when you say made the early mopar cranks, im assuming a not stock in the block one, but a mopar performance crank? if so, I have seen many say scat made the cranks, but im not 100% sure...I know scat makes the cast cranks in the MP crate engines

no bone stock cranks made in the 70s, I doubt they were made by scat I think the chinese were still farming rice back then.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: Quicktree] #905145
01/15/11 05:18 PM
01/15/11 05:18 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no bone stock cranks made in the 70s, I doubt they were made by scat I think the chinese were still farming rice back then.

LOL, well if thats what you referring to, then yes i would agree scat wasnt making them lol

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: mshred] #905146
01/15/11 05:23 PM
01/15/11 05:23 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

one thing that makes it easier on mine is I run very light weight pistons on eagle H beam rods. I have shifted it at 7200 rpms running 1040s in my challenger.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: mshred] #905147
01/15/11 06:45 PM
01/15/11 06:45 PM
Peru
cbarracuda Offline
mopar
cbarracuda  Offline
mopar

Peru
my cast crank was internaly balanced, it didnīt need heavy metal because of my light weight components. it lasted 2 years of racing, i use to take this up to 7200 rpm but I beleive my trans brake snaped the crank into two pieces between number 7 and 8 cylinders. The motor was still runing, no damage to the block. The two rods kept the crank together. To rebuild my motor I used the same block, two new rods and a scat forged crank.
At the time I built the motor, I didnīt have the money to go forged, so I build my motor with what I could aford, not expecting it to last for a long time however I enjoyed my car for 2 years

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: cbarracuda] #905148
01/15/11 06:53 PM
01/15/11 06:53 PM
SoCal
Brian Hafliger Offline
master
Brian Hafliger  Offline
master

SoCal
Tom at Scat has told me on more than one occasion that the sb mopar cast crank they sell will handle 600HP. This does mean with no detonation.

I believe it, however...I won't use the cast crank in a trans brake application, and I recommend if your going to build more than 500HP AND use a 4 speed not to use the cast crank.
NOS is another no-go for the cast crank IMO...it really depends on the application, intended use and how well the owner takes care of it/drives it.

If it's a driver that might see the track once or twice a year with a 4 speed or small NOS kit and it's used properly it'll last a long time.

Be HONEST with yourself about how you will use the engine and then make the choice that makes sense.
Easy!!
Brian

Brian Hafliger
Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: Brian Hafliger] #905149
01/15/11 08:05 PM
01/15/11 08:05 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
The big question is this..........would you rather save until you have another 1,000.00 or see 2,700.00 laying on the asphalt in a puddle of oil under your car ?
Factor in block machining and hope and pray it doesn't spank a head and wreck something upstairs , you will have the potential to ruin a 4,000.00 bill in no time.
That is if it is kind and scatters in the first 30 feet of your pass.
Once you're out a couple hundred feet or better , you have a bit of momentum working against you too............and you bring the other lane into play too.
Scat recommends a lot of things.........and I can't think of a single car running a dry sump or blower that uses a cast crank.
But I'll bet they are out there.
As mentioned in other posts , a REALISTIC look at what you are going to be doing with it is first.
To be fast , you need to be safe.
And smart doesn't hurt either.........actually makes the first two a lot easier.
And that gem of wisdom is coming from a real dummy , so take it for what it's worth.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: tubtar] #905150
01/15/11 08:07 PM
01/15/11 08:07 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

The big question is this..........would you rather save until you have another 1,000.00 or see 2,700.00 laying on the asphalt in a puddle of oil under your car ?
Factor in block machining and hope and pray it doesn't spank a head and wreck something upstairs , you will have the potential to ruin a 4,000.00 bill in no time.
That is if it is kind and scatters in the first 30 feet of your pass.
Once you're out a couple hundred feet or better , you have a bit of momentum working against you too............and you bring the other lane into play too.
Scat recommends a lot of things.........and I can't think of a single car running a dry sump or blower that uses a cast crank.
But I'll bet they are out there.
As mentioned in other posts , a REALISTIC look at what you are going to be doing with it is first.
To be fast , you need to be safe.
And smart doesn't hurt either.........actually makes the first two a lot easier.
And that gem of wisdom is coming from a real dummy , so take it for what it's worth.

I appreciate the words of wisdom guys, and I will say, I am going to step up to the forged...ive thought about it lots, and im only 21- even though its alot of money, its the last time i want to do this for a while, so i mine as well suck it up now to not worry about it later

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: mshred] #905151
01/15/11 08:30 PM
01/15/11 08:30 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
Good call.
My biggest fear is that my motor I am currently doing will scatter , because I have sunk a lot of money in it.
It has taken me a long time and I haven't cut any corners , so if it does , at least I will be able to look in the mirror and know that it wasn't my wallet's fault.

Last edited by tubtar; 01/15/11 08:31 PM.
Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: Quicktree] #905152
01/15/11 09:04 PM
01/15/11 09:04 PM
Alberta
R
rustbuckett68 Offline
mopar
rustbuckett68  Offline
mopar
R

Alberta
I had looked into this ~15 yrs ago, and the 360 crank allegedly came from 2 suppliers. IIRC the one reputed to be a bit stronger was marked CFD, for Central Foundry Division from the General. Not sure if the other was in-house or not, but still strong.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: rustbuckett68] #905153
01/16/11 01:11 AM
01/16/11 01:11 AM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
The SCAT crank will take more HP than the stock 360 cast crank. The stock crank has oil grooves(stress risers) all the way around the rod journals. The minimum diameter is significantly smaller on the stock crank than the radiused journal on the SCAT cast crank so there is just plain more meat there and NO stress riser. SCAT also uses better metal, cast steel VS cast iron so the SCAT is much stronger than the factory 360 crank. Also since the SCAT crank is a 4 inch stroke you will end up with a much lighter piston even if the motors make the SAME HP and it will turn fewer RPM at the same HP so ther is much less load on the crank. Balancing is not more expensive if you externally balance it and beleive it or not there are still a lot of motors out there that last a long time that are externally balanced.

If you are useing a SCAT I beam and reasonably light pistons you will be fine at 500 hp. The stock cranks worked fine for years with heavy stock rods and heavy TRW style pistons and the SCAT crank is significantly stronger. If you notice the guys in this thread (and most other threads) that have experianced cast crank failure were doing stuff they were not supposed to do like breaking trannys and running them in powerful dirt track cars and nitrous...

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: HotRodDave] #905154
01/16/11 01:19 PM
01/16/11 01:19 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

The SCAT crank will take more HP than the stock 360 cast crank. The stock crank has oil grooves(stress risers) all the way around the rod journals. The minimum diameter is significantly smaller on the stock crank than the radiused journal on the SCAT cast crank so there is just plain more meat there and NO stress riser. SCAT also uses better metal, cast steel VS cast iron so the SCAT is much stronger than the factory 360 crank. Also since the SCAT crank is a 4 inch stroke you will end up with a much lighter piston even if the motors make the SAME HP and it will turn fewer RPM at the same HP so ther is much less load on the crank. Balancing is not more expensive if you externally balance it and beleive it or not there are still a lot of motors out there that last a long time that are externally balanced.

If you are useing a SCAT I beam and reasonably light pistons you will be fine at 500 hp. The stock cranks worked fine for years with heavy stock rods and heavy TRW style pistons and the SCAT crank is significantly stronger. If you notice the guys in this thread (and most other threads) that have experianced cast crank failure were doing stuff they were not supposed to do like breaking trannys and running them in powerful dirt track cars and nitrous...

Hey man, you make very good points. I had thought the same thing that the scat stuff would be stronger than the old stuff (only makes sense i thought?) but others say nay...In all honesty though, i think even if i might be okay, atleast if i upgrade to forged the worry about possible crank breakage and the rest of my motor going with it is out of my mind (although still possible i guess).

I still have to call Coast High though and see if they will refund the kit for me...that may be a challenge in its self..crossing my fingers now

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: mshred] #905155
01/16/11 01:52 PM
01/16/11 01:52 PM
Peru
cbarracuda Offline
mopar
cbarracuda  Offline
mopar

Peru
If you have the kit, use it and do not worry about it. You are talking street car with 4 speed, you will be ok. My car is a drag car with 33 inches slick and 9 second time slips, trans brake. I will use the scat crank in a street aplication all day long and not worry about it.

Note: the trans brake is worse than 4 speed. Like dave says because of the radius, the scatt scrank is stronger than any factory 360

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: cbarracuda] #905156
01/16/11 02:00 PM
01/16/11 02:00 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

If you have the kit, use it and do not worry about it. You are talking street car with 4 speed, you will be ok. My car is a drag car with 33 inches slick and 9 second time slips, trans brake. I will use the scat crank in a street aplication all day long and not worry about it.

Note: the trans brake is worse than 4 speed. Like dave says because of the radius, the scatt scrank is stronger than any factory 360

Plans are to only up the power from here on out though, and id rather have a rotating assembly that i wont have to worry about (block will be next obviously)...Let's put it this way, im convinced to going forged now, lets not reverse that lol

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: mshred] #905157
01/16/11 02:02 PM
01/16/11 02:02 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Plans are to only up the power from here on out though, and id rather have a rotating assembly that i wont have to worry about (block will be next obviously)...Let's put it this way, im convinced to going forged now, lets not reverse that lol

you are on the right track, it's easy to say it will be fine when it's not your money. if it was a street car only I would use it. but I bet you want to go to the track with it.

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: Quicktree] #905158
01/16/11 02:05 PM
01/16/11 02:05 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline OP
master
mshred  Offline OP
master
M

Toronto
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you are on the right track, it's easy to say it will be fine when it's not your money. if it was a street car only I would use it. but I bet you want to go to the track with it.

yes, it will see the track hopefully atleast a couple times this year, and im hoping if i can get a truck and trailer for the next summer (2012) I can possibly run the 11.90 index class at my local strip...I love racing, sooo much fun!

Re: Scat 4" cast crank? Will it break? [Re: Quicktree] #905159
01/16/11 02:10 PM
01/16/11 02:10 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

if your plans include upgading the power, put the good stuff in the shortblock

My situation is different....it's just a li'l street cruiser/brawler...lol with no intensions of upgrading

Rickster

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4