A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

The guy did put new plugs in. I'm wondering if the car really did run after he worked on it or if maybe he got it back together and it had the miss and he was upset he couldn't figure out how to fix the miss and sold it. If he really drove it for a few weeks and then it sat the plugs or wires wouldn't have suddenly gone bad from sitting for a month would they? I have some plugs for my sisters 2000 neon I can try in my car, we didn't get them installed in her car before she got rid of it. Maybe I should go ahead and get a new set of plug wires. Should I just get some after market ones or do you need to get Mopar ones?

I had a little time to mess with it last night. The check engine light does come on with the key so it should be working. I tried to get the codes by doing the key on-off thing but I couldn't get any codes to come up. I must have been doing it wrong because it did nothing at all. The engine does idle fine so the problem seems to just be when it's under load. Hopefully that eliminates the timing belt maybe being installed wrong. From what I could tell all the injectors were clicking but I went ahead and unplugged them one at a time and each one had an effect on how the motor was running so it seems that at idle all the cyliders are getting fuel and spark.

Do these cars have a jack to plug in a code reader? A friend of mine has a reader and would check the codes that way for me since I can't get the key method to work. Although if there were any codes to read shouldn't the check engine light be on all the time?

If he put plugs in but not wires that may be the problem. The "good quality" parts store wires do OK for a couple of years or at least one plug life. The OE last longer. I would stay completly away from the "value price" parts store wires.

Re: Testing a 1995 neon coil pack? *more info* [Re: DaveRS23] #898014
01/11/11 04:20 PM
01/11/11 04:20 PM
Madrid, IA
H
hellrzr Offline OP
top fuel
hellrzr  Offline OP
top fuel
H

Madrid, IA
I can't tell if it's a particular cylinder or not. Maybe I can have my Dad come down and rev the engine in drive and I can see if I can figure out if it's a particular cylinder.

I think I'm going to get new plug wires next than. I don't think they are too expensive and maybe with some luck that will solve the problem. I probably won't be able to mess with it again until Thursday. Thanks for the continuing help!

Re: Testing a 1995 neon coil pack? *more info* [Re: DaveRS23] #898015
01/11/11 04:53 PM
01/11/11 04:53 PM
Manheim PA.
M
mopardad Offline
pro stock
mopardad  Offline
pro stock
M

Manheim PA.
Quote:

Your Neon is OBDII so the scan tool will work. If you have a current problem that the computer detects it will set the CEL lite. Even if everything is good to go you should get a code 55 (end of codes) and usually a code 12 (battery disconnect within 50 start cycles).

I thought it was 96 when they started using OBDII, if so OBDI would not set a misfire(spark or injector)code would it?

Re: Testing a 1995 neon coil pack? *more info* [Re: mopardad] #898016
01/11/11 10:48 PM
01/11/11 10:48 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
All Neons (even 95s) were OBDII. The government didn't mandate OBD compliance until the 96 model year, but that didn't mean the manufacturer couldn't initiate it earlier.

Master, again and still
Re: Testing a 1995 neon coil pack? *more info* [Re: DaveRS23] #898017
01/12/11 02:25 AM
01/12/11 02:25 AM
Woodburn Oregon
T
Two Lane Offline
Two Lane  Offline
T

Woodburn Oregon
I know that new plugs were put in from what you said but, pull the wires from the plugs one at a time and check for oil on the wires or if the plugs are submerged in oil. I just did 2 neons last week with the same problem. The valve cover o- ring seals like the /6 leak often and soak the plugs. Good luck!

"Do you know why I stopped you?"- "No" - "Your license plate was laid down"- "Oh that,- that only happens when I Floor it"
Re: Testing a 1995 neon coil pack? *more info* [Re: Two Lane] #898018
01/12/11 11:29 AM
01/12/11 11:29 AM
Madrid, IA
H
hellrzr Offline OP
top fuel
hellrzr  Offline OP
top fuel
H

Madrid, IA
I've been keeping an eye on the oil/plug issue. When I first pulled them there was a light coat of oil on all the plug wires but #2, is was bone dry. The guy told me that after he got it together that #2 was leaking oil and he got another new grommet to fix it. Maybe the other grommets are bad now from sitting for a month??? I wiped the plug wires down and they haven’t been soaked with oil but then it’s not like I’ve had it running for long periods of time while testing, just like 2-5 minutes to test something and then shut the car off. I think I’m going to get home tomorrow night to mess with it. Maybe I need to spray down the tubes with brake cleaner, or carb cleaner, and get in there with a rag best I can to make sure they are free of oil and then let it run for a while to see if any oil shows up. Maybe between some oil in the tubes and marginal plug wires lies the problem.

Re: Testing a 1995 neon coil pack? *Update* [Re: hellrzr] #898019
01/17/11 12:59 PM
01/17/11 12:59 PM
Madrid, IA
H
hellrzr Offline OP
top fuel
hellrzr  Offline OP
top fuel
H

Madrid, IA
This weekend I messed with the car some more. It seems to be fixed now! I changed the plugs and it appears to have done the trick. He had Autolites in it and I replaced them with Champions and the car seems to like them much better. The plugs he had in were pretty dark with carbon so I’m a little worried about that. He said he put new plugs in but I’m not sure that he really did. I don’t know how the plugs could have been working fine before it sat for a few weeks and then stopped working so that bothers me. So now I have to get it licensed and insured and start driving it and hope it continues running good. Thanks again to everyone for all the help!

Page 2 of 2 1 2