01/02/11 01:47 AM
M
McCandlessboy Offline
super stock
McCandlessboy  Offline
super stock
M

Quote:

just to let you know it was a pump gas motor that was in a 3800 challenger with a 509 cam went 11.62 with a tunnel ram whith 600 holleys and again i was taking to herb and he told me that it would be faster with a single four barrel so i went and bought a 850 holley and tryed 2 intakes and the thing would only run 11.80.i am just stating what he told me not cutting on him but at the same time my buddy was going 10.20 with a peice weld on his pan. buy the way oil pans dont make horse power. as far as power goes you guys was all over the indy heads at the time but i remember that ken worked there he had b1 heads on his red daytona.

This was a thread about voting for an old story. Your two posts in this thread come off as a personal attack to my father. If you would like to create a thread and talk about who has done more for the mopar industry, my father or some random internet poster, then lets do so. Otherwise, just stay out of a thread that was meant to bring up old stories from a time when people actually raced their cars instead of keyboards.

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* [Re: McCandlessboy] #891389
01/02/11 02:17 AM
01/02/11 02:17 AM
MD
HEMI472 Offline
super stock
HEMI472  Offline
super stock

MD
Post deleted by HEMI472

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless [Re: HEMI472] #891390
01/02/11 02:22 AM
01/02/11 02:22 AM
M
McCandlessboy Offline
super stock
McCandlessboy  Offline
super stock
M

Living on my dads name? Haha. Yeah, because my dad had such a great history in the sports nutrition industry that I'm in. I self funded everything business wise I've done. I love my father and I respect him very much. If I sense someone making smart comments about my father, I'm going to defend him. Like any good son should do.

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* [Re: HEMI472] #891391
01/02/11 02:54 AM
01/02/11 02:54 AM
M
McCandlessboy Offline
super stock
McCandlessboy  Offline
super stock
M

Quote:

Post deleted by HEMI472

Deleting your post only to pm me cussing at me is still classless. Like I said, leave your wise cracks about my father out of this. Thanks to everyone for voting!

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* [Re: McCandlessboy] #891392
01/02/11 10:58 AM
01/02/11 10:58 AM
Tennessee
727builder Offline
super stock
727builder  Offline
super stock

Tennessee
Quote:

Quote:

Post deleted by HEMI472

Deleting your post only to pm me cussing at me is still classless. Like I said, leave your wise cracks about my father out of this. Thanks to everyone for voting!

Now that being done with and back on topic, Herb is still the man!

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* [Re: 727builder] #891393
01/02/11 04:19 PM
01/02/11 04:19 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I don't fawn over any celebrities & I respect alot of famous racers, so Mr. McCandless easily gets my vote..
Interesting thing---I've been fortunate enough to meet quite a few of the old Mpar "team" racers & they all were friendly, professional & took time to answer my (I'm sure to them) "stupid" questions.
ON THE OTHER HAND, years ago I was at E-town watching a match race when Grumpy was there with his Monza. He was trying to get a jack over to his car to change tires & naturally the crowd was in the way. One rather large guy ignored several requests to move & at one point simply turned around & stared at Grumpy. At that point Grumpy yells at him "Get the F&&k outta the way!". The guy jmped back & he proceeded with his work.
Now I don't care either way if someone curses or not, but from a "professional" standpoint, it WAS a bit much, albeit funny. No wonder Mr. Jenkins has THAT nickname.....

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless [Re: CHAPPER] #891394
01/02/11 06:27 PM
01/02/11 06:27 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Quote:

Quote:

i have a story for ya

it was 1988 when i was young i was building my 2nd motor and i called down to herbs place and talked to him about a 440. i told him what i was doing and what stuff i had and the first thing he told me to was tape a dollor bill to my moroso oil pan and throw it off the next bridge i crossed and for me to tell everyone i lost a dollor.because they was junk and my motor would not last. so now thats been 22 years ago now the motor has made hundreds of passes at the drag strip pluse thousands of street miles and has been in 2 cars.the motor still runs if he would like to go for a ride.

Sounds familar,,,,he told me about the same thing on solid rod ends on ladder bars. He said,,"put those solid ends in a vice and cut them in two pieces, throw one end in the river and drive accross the state and throw the other piece in a hollow somewhere,,that way, NOBODY will ever find the two pieces and weld them back together".
Another time in reference to a offset grind stroker crank in a 360,,he said,,"if you use the Chev rods they will break. They are the weak link and I LOVE telling people that. If you use a 'good' steel rod, you won't need bolts for the oil pan,,just weld it on 'cause you won't ever need to be in there again."
Sure do miss talking to Herb!!

.....similar story back in the day when I called him too on my RB build for my Mirada....guess he had enough of being bothered by young aspiring racers building mopars. No anomosity over it, but a funny story none the less. Funny to see others with the same memory. But to keep it on topic I'll go cast a vote for him.

Re: Vote for Herb McCandless [Re: J_BODY] #891395
01/02/11 08:11 PM
01/02/11 08:11 PM
MD
HEMI472 Offline
super stock
HEMI472  Offline
super stock

MD
first off i deleted the post to be nice. but i can see you dont want to let it go and i wasnt cussing you. but i can if you like. i never said any thing bad about herb.i was just telling you what he told me.

Last edited by HEMI472; 01/03/11 12:38 AM.
Re: Vote for Herb McCandless *DELETED* [Re: hemicop] #891396
01/05/11 10:21 PM
01/05/11 10:21 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

I don't fawn over any celebrities & I respect alot of famous racers, so Mr. McCandless easily gets my vote..
Interesting thing---I've been fortunate enough to meet quite a few of the old Mpar "team" racers & they all were friendly, professional & took time to answer my (I'm sure to them) "stupid" questions.
ON THE OTHER HAND, years ago I was at E-town watching a match race when Grumpy was there with his Monza. He was trying to get a jack over to his car to change tires & naturally the crowd was in the way. One rather large guy ignored several requests to move & at one point simply turned around & stared at Grumpy. At that point Grumpy yells at him "Get the F&&k outta the way!". The guy jmped back & he proceeded with his work.
Now I don't care either way if someone curses or not, but from a "professional" standpoint, it WAS a bit much, albeit funny. No wonder Mr. Jenkins has THAT nickname.....

I think that after quite a few repeated times of telling him move tactfully, that was more of an "attention getter", rather than being RUDE!!
However, the ultimate solution which is DEAD WRONG to do, would be to "tap" him with a tire iron!! I'm not promoting violence! Just stating a "could happen" situation that can materialize!!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3