Mechanicsburg, PA
L
LemonTwiist Offline OP
super stock
LemonTwiist  Offline OP
super stock
L

Mechanicsburg, PA
I posted a couple of weeks ago about a thermoquad issue on a 340 that I thought I had. Well it turns out that the problem is with the lifters. I could not get the engine to run right so I had another carb installed that worked, and still a rough idle. I took the valve covers off today and discovered a lifter had come apart and the plunger cap was laying in the lifter sidways. Has anyone else had problems with the Mopar Performance cams and lifters?

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem [Re: LemonTwiist] #88122
07/14/08 06:57 AM
07/14/08 06:57 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a thermoquad issue on a 340 that I thought I had. Well it turns out that the problem is with the lifters. I could not get the engine to run right so I had another carb installed that worked, and still a rough idle. I took the valve covers off today and discovered a lifter had come apart and the plunger cap was laying in the lifter sidways. Has anyone else had problems with the Mopar Performance cams and lifters?

i had the same thing happen with an MP 484 smallblock cam .

you better get out the wrenches because when that happenes it stops the lifter from rotating and flattens the cam lobe in short order , the reason for your rough running issue .

motor has to come out and be completely gone thru , metal is everywhere

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem [Re: JohnRR] #88123
07/14/08 11:11 AM
07/14/08 11:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

it could have been a preload problem. If you run too little preload, the lifter cup will smack against the retainer clip and eventually pop it out

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem [Re: JohnRR] #88124
07/14/08 10:09 PM
07/14/08 10:09 PM
Mechanicsburg, PA
L
LemonTwiist Offline OP
super stock
LemonTwiist  Offline OP
super stock
L

Mechanicsburg, PA
Quote:

you better get out the wrenches because when that happenes it stops the lifter from rotating and flattens the cam lobe in short order , the reason for your rough running issue .

I don't think I damaged the cam yet. The lobe looks good. The motor hasn't run long enough to do any damage, hopefully

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem [Re: LemonTwiist] #88125
07/14/08 10:35 PM
07/14/08 10:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think I damaged the cam yet. The lobe looks good. The motor hasn't run long enough to do any damage, hopefully

Would you really want to take the chance?

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem [Re: LemonTwiist] #88126
07/15/08 08:52 AM
07/15/08 08:52 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

i'll assume you pulled the intake and took a good look at the cam ?

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem [Re: JohnRR] #88127
07/16/08 10:18 PM
07/16/08 10:18 PM
Mechanicsburg, PA
L
LemonTwiist Offline OP
super stock
LemonTwiist  Offline OP
super stock
L

Mechanicsburg, PA
Quote: i'll assume you pulled the intake and took a good look at the cam ?

Well last night I got the bent push rod out and went to put all new ones in
and found a collapsed lifter in the same cylinder (#8). I pulled the lifter
and saw that the lifter was worn through so bad that it had a hole in the
lifter. I pulled the intake tonight and the cam is gone. I have four
really worn lifters on the passenger side. None on the drivers side. I'm
going to have to pull the engine and tear it done and start over, Too much
metal through out. Any ideas as to why only one side and only four lifters?

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem [Re: LemonTwiist] #88128
07/16/08 11:59 PM
07/16/08 11:59 PM
Edmonton , Alberta
S
swingin Offline
swingin  Offline
S

Edmonton , Alberta
Possibly too much spring pressure? A few years back I had the unfortunate luck of wiping out four or five cams in one season. The spring pressures were supposedly good, lifters turned nicely in their bores, engine always started easily, used proper break in procedures.......blah, blah, blah. The ONLY thing I never verified was my spring pressures. I trusted the builder. Finally scrapped those heads and used an untouched set of X heads, no problems since. I killed two Purple Shafts, and three Comps. Same lifters every time.........

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem [Re: swingin] #88129
07/17/08 06:26 AM
07/17/08 06:26 AM
Mechanicsburg, PA
L
LemonTwiist Offline OP
super stock
LemonTwiist  Offline OP
super stock
L

Mechanicsburg, PA
I guess anthing is possible ,but it seems odd that this has happened on only the passenger side. If the degrees were off could this be one theory?

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem [Re: LemonTwiist] #88130
07/17/08 07:36 AM
07/17/08 07:36 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I dont believe you said what cam this was. What was it? what springs were in it? did you check the installed height of the springs? did the lifters spin easy in the bores? did they slide into the bores with a slight THUMP when they hit the cam? doid you use ZDDP or EOS as a cam lube? Did you break in the cam by running it between 2500 and 3500 for 20 to 30 minutes? what pistons are in it? did you check valve to piston clearance?

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem UPDATE!!! [Re: LemonTwiist] #88131
12/16/08 01:24 PM
12/16/08 01:24 PM
Mechanicsburg, PA
L
LemonTwiist Offline OP
super stock
LemonTwiist  Offline OP
super stock
L

Mechanicsburg, PA
Well here is what was wrong with the lifters and cam. After removing the cam and finding out I had wiped it out, I stopped by Mopar Performance at the Nats to show them what had happened. They took the cam and lifters back to inspect them. I got a call about a week later from them and they admitted that I had received a high lift cam in a stock application box. They did give me a new cam and some parts to compensate me for the issue. It turns out that I'm not the only one who this has happened to. I have a friend who got a stock cam for a six pack engine but ordered a roller cam. The box came with roller rockers and a stock cam. BEWARE before you install any Mopar cam to be sure to verify what you want is what you got. As a side note, I did get the engine back together and fired it this past weekend. Runs like a champ

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem UPDATE!!! [Re: LemonTwiist] #88132
12/16/08 01:28 PM
12/16/08 01:28 PM
Mechanicsburg, PA
L
LemonTwiist Offline OP
super stock
LemonTwiist  Offline OP
super stock
L

Mechanicsburg, PA

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem UPDATE!!! [Re: LemonTwiist] #88133
12/16/08 03:45 PM
12/16/08 03:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Well here is what was wrong with the lifters and cam. After removing the cam and finding out I had wiped it out, I stopped by Mopar Performance at the Nats to show them what had happened. They took the cam and lifters back to inspect them. I got a call about a week later from them and they admitted that I had received a high lift cam in a stock application box. They did give me a new cam and some parts to compensate me for the issue. It turns out that I'm not the only one who this has happened to. I have a friend who got a stock cam for a six pack engine but ordered a roller cam. The box came with roller rockers and a stock cam. BEWARE before you install any Mopar cam to be sure to verify what you want is what you got. As a side note, I did get the engine back together and fired it this past weekend. Runs like a champ

man, thats nuts!!

I ordered a MP cam bolt and washer and the bolt that was in the package was METRIC. i couldnt figure out (at first) why it wouldnt screw in. then i looked at it and said [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] is this all about? kinda strange for them to be packaging mertric bolts. a cam is a pretty big mistake

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem UPDATE!!! [Re: LemonTwiist] #88134
12/16/08 04:06 PM
12/16/08 04:06 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Hi Drew, I remember talking to you about that cam issue back in the summer at the Zembo car show we were at and guess what ???....Same deal, my buddy asked me to take a look at a MP purple cam he had ordered and turned out to be the wrong cam in the box !! ...I caught this one before it went in the engine luckily...No matter how they compensated you it still is'nt acceptable{and a major pain in the you know what} to recieve the wrong parts then have to chase down someone that will correct the problem...Not to mention {in your case} building the engine for the second time... What a mess....

Re: Mopar Performance Lifters Problem UPDATE!!! [Re: screamindriver] #88135
12/16/08 06:40 PM
12/16/08 06:40 PM
Mechanicsburg, PA
L
LemonTwiist Offline OP
super stock
LemonTwiist  Offline OP
super stock
L

Mechanicsburg, PA
Quote:

Hi Drew, I remember talking to you about that cam issue back in the summer at the Zembo car show we were at and guess what ???....Same deal, my buddy asked me to take a look at a MP purple cam he had ordered and turned out to be the wrong cam in the box !! ...I caught this one before it went in the engine luckily...No matter how they compensated you it still is'nt acceptable{and a major pain in the you know what} to recieve the wrong parts then have to chase down someone that will correct the problem...Not to mention {in your case} building the engine for the second time... What a mess....

Hi Colin What was concerning to me was the remark that was made when I brought the cam into the Mopar booth at the nats. Some guy said to the tech I was talking to "another bad cam?" My friend purchased his cam from Jegs and they wouldn't do anything about it. Fortunately he builds engines and can use the cam he got wrong in another engine. You have to wonder how many other packaging errors are out there just waiting to ruin someones rebuild?