07/17/08 04:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I agree with what you are saying here.

If you look at the scans above of the crash book sheets it does give times fro R&R trim etc.

You may not have read this entire thread or the previous one that I posted that became argumentative.

Here is a quote of mine from this thread that pretty much sums things up for me.

"Apparently you missed it in the other thread where I stated that the cars were to be painted in the original enamel paint, so new paint and procedures don't apply. Time is time, it doesn't matter if it was 40 years ago or today. In fact, if anything, you should be able to to things quicker simply because there are a few new tools that can save some time.
Yes, I am looking for a better finish than was applied by the factory, but I am also willing to allow additional time for this.
Please don't assume that I am not listening or don't understand what I am doing."

The bottom line is I am looking for these book times as a baseline and will figure additional time depending on the higher level of job I want.

Re: 1966-1970 CRASH BOOKS #87283
07/17/08 05:07 PM
07/17/08 05:07 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline
super stock
MadMatt  Offline
super stock

Nampa, ID
For what it's worth, , "back in the day" we didn't go with just adding up the panel paint times because painting an entire car is a different sort of thing. Anyway, generally on a car like yours we would start with about 24 hours paint labor, 8-10 hours to R&I the trim, 2 hours to mask, and 2-4 hours to sand and buff if it was a "nice" car. Materials were figured separately based on the 24 hour paint time. (That was for exterior paint, if you need the jambs painted, engine compartment etc., figure at least another 8-10 hours.) Usually those times were agreed to with little or no negotiation, the only real negotiation was usually over prep time. Which was entirely dependent on the condition of the existing paint and what is hiding underneath.

That is my best recollection of how we did it when I started in the business back in 1981. And here in So. Cal. there were still PLENTY of cars like yours on the road for me to write estimates on.

Those were the days...

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: 1966-1970 CRASH BOOKS [Re: MadMatt] #87284
07/17/08 06:01 PM
07/17/08 06:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I think the times you have indicated above are pretty much "industry standards" and that you got no complaint or argument because the shops felt that they could beat that time. So using your example of 40 hours above and adding another 4 hours for for jams which is generous (the engine compartment and trunk is already done.) Then 50 hours should give you a "nice" (your word) paint job. The work nice is very subjective. You being in the business of cutomer satisfaction to some degree, leads me to believe that we are talking about a finished product that you should be able to proudly display at an enthusist type parking lot show.

As I stated earlier, I am not looking for a PPG best of show type paint job. I am however expecting a smooth, no DA marks, no orange peel job. Yes, it will require blocking and will be sprayed in an original type enamel product. I could see up to possibly another 50 hours for that, but not really on these cars as both are original, virgin sheet metal. One of the cars will be stripped and that cost has not been calculated into the above.

Page 2 of 2 1 2