12/07/10 12:29 PM
12/07/10 12:29 PM
minnesota
Kirby Offline
pro stock
Kirby  Offline
pro stock

minnesota
Um- I'm thinking it would have been great to have 4 wheel disks in the Barracuda. Since when is having more stopping power a bad thing?

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: Kirby] #870617
12/07/10 01:09 PM
12/07/10 01:09 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Um- I'm thinking it would have been great to have 4 wheel disks in the Barracuda. Since when is having more stopping power a bad thing?

Exactly.. Everyone thinks more power is better, why not the biggest possible brakes...

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: hooziewhatsit] #870618
12/07/10 02:09 PM
12/07/10 02:09 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Quote:

Well the comment made was "the best way to improve an old cars braking"....and ABS does not improve braking.
If you're saying that braking with non-locked wheels is better than locked wheels, then yes of course it is, I doubt anyone is arguing that. But it doesn't take ABS to avoid locked wheels - proper set up and threshold braking.

ABS makes stopping faster in panic situations for people who haven't practiced panic braking and keeping the brakes right at that threshold. Every winter on an empty stretch of slick road I'll practice how fast I can punch the brakes and stay on the edge of locking them up.

The current set up on my truck ('72 W200, discs all the way around), I can't lock up the fronts. But that may be more due to the 32s and dry pavement This spring I'll get a pressure gauge and do some more testing.

I don't doubt that you guys can stop your vehicles better than an average dummy in your vehicle standing on the pedal with the wheels locked.

The question is - can you stop your vehicle faster than it could if it had ABS? I've not met a human being yet that could modulate braking individually to 4 wheels with one brake pedal. Although I've not met everybody yet.

Overall, I'm always amazed at the $$ some guys will spend on their car but refuse to at least upgrade to OEM discs.

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: Fury Fan] #870619
12/07/10 07:50 PM
12/07/10 07:50 PM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well the comment made was "the best way to improve an old cars braking"....and ABS does not improve braking.
If you're saying that braking with non-locked wheels is better than locked wheels, then yes of course it is, I doubt anyone is arguing that. But it doesn't take ABS to avoid locked wheels - proper set up and threshold braking.

ABS makes stopping faster in panic situations for people who haven't practiced panic braking and keeping the brakes right at that threshold. Every winter on an empty stretch of slick road I'll practice how fast I can punch the brakes and stay on the edge of locking them up.

The current set up on my truck ('72 W200, discs all the way around), I can't lock up the fronts. But that may be more due to the 32s and dry pavement This spring I'll get a pressure gauge and do some more testing.

I don't doubt that you guys can stop your vehicles better than an average dummy in your vehicle standing on the pedal with the wheels locked.

The question is - can you stop your vehicle faster than it could if it had ABS? I've not met a human being yet that could modulate braking individually to 4 wheels with one brake pedal. Although I've not met everybody yet.

Overall, I'm always amazed at the $$ some guys will spend on their car but refuse to at least upgrade to OEM discs.

I'd venture to say it would be unusual in the extreme for four wheels to lock at the same time - i.e. ABS will not usually need to modulate 4 brakes at the same time. If it does, the driver probably buried the pedal in a limited traction situation (e.g. ice) and maybe shouldn't be out in those conditions!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against ABS per se, but the suggestion was made that ABS would improve braking, which is not the case. Is it useful in some circumstances - yes. Would I pay a lot of money to retrofit it to my car, no way, I could achieve much more worthwhile improvements (braking or elsewhere) for the $$. Plus I don't generally take out my classic Mopar when it is sheet ice everywhere (actually I don't take it out at all while it is still in bits ).

Under normal conditions with a well set up system - yeah I'd take on an ABS system and not expect to lose out.

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: OzHemi] #870620
12/07/10 08:14 PM
12/07/10 08:14 PM
QLD Australia
Keith Black® Offline
pro stock
Keith Black®  Offline
pro stock

QLD Australia
Quote:

Quote:

Here's a video of the SLR's carbon ceramic brakes glowing after a single stop from 120 mph.

That is pretty cool looking.

I need to make up some duct work for mine actually...the front spoiler I have already has the opening for the brake cooling ducts (the touring/road race cars used them) Just need to run some hose from there to some sort of mount behind the rotor.

that's amazing... so that little Holden can actually get those big brakes moving..?
cool!
you could duct-tape some cardboard flaps to the wheels may generate a breeze to cool them too.

--------------------------------
Darren Beale
Keith Black Racing Engines®
Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: Keith Black®] #870621
12/08/10 12:48 PM
12/08/10 12:48 PM
Glendale, AZ
69L78Nova Offline
Banned. Forever.
69L78Nova  Offline
Banned. Forever.

Glendale, AZ
4 wheel drums on my Charger. Thats what is staying on it. Been to the track more times than I can count, and street driven almost every day. Never had a problem. To me, it stops well

1969 Nova
454/M21/3.31
Mild mid-11 second weekend cruiser

1994 F150 XLT Super Cab 2WD
5.0/4R70W/3.55
(Daily driver)
Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: DPelletier] #870622
12/08/10 01:39 PM
12/08/10 01:39 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

Don't worry Feet's; firstly, I'm not going to be jacknifed in the middle of the road, and secondly, your little car isn't going to squash me like a grape!

for the record, I have nothing against you building your car as you like with 16" brakes if that's what you choose. The point I'm making is that you don't need that to be safe driving amongst traffic.

I guess you've never seen a travel trailer on it's side after the driver ran over the moron that cut in front of him. The really nasty part is when another car slams into the roof of the overturned pickup. That makes for a nasty mess involving the highway shut down for hours and a visit by the coroner. Needless to say, they weren't home for the holidays.

Properly set up drum brakes will feel great until you get into a car with properly set up dic brakes. Either arrangement will work for the vast majority of the muscle car crowd. For those of us with a more spirited driving style only the discs will do. That doesn't mean we're a nusiance on the highway. I do enjoy playing a bit when there's nobody around.
My daily commute has put me in situations where GOOD brakes saved my bacon. When the guy entered the freeway and hit the left lane between 15 and 20 mph while I was moving along at 65 mph things got... puckery. I was able to slow the hot rod down but couldn't see the guy's tail lights over my hood. That was close. It's also just one of the many idiots I have to deal with on the roads.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: 69L78Nova] #870623
12/08/10 01:56 PM
12/08/10 01:56 PM
In the twisties
R
RokketRide Offline
super gas
RokketRide  Offline
super gas
R

In the twisties
Quote:

4 wheel drums on my Charger. Thats what is staying on it. Been to the track more times than I can count, and street driven almost every day. Never had a problem. To me, it stops well

Wrong track for this discussion.

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: Mike H] #870624
12/08/10 07:34 PM
12/08/10 07:34 PM
Orange County, CA
M
Mike H Offline OP
enthusiast
Mike H  Offline OP
enthusiast
M

Orange County, CA
As the OP, can I cancel this thread? I don't know how though. I have learned all I need to know, and it's definitely going south.

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: RokketRide] #870625
12/08/10 07:42 PM
12/08/10 07:42 PM
San Jose, California
D
DennisH Offline
Vacation
DennisH  Offline
Vacation
D

San Jose, California
Quote:

Quote:

Wrong track? Cars with air bags and traction logic are safer too. Better just park the old cars. After driving my modern Mopars w/modern brakes, I transition to the 69 w/11" hemi drums.

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: Mike H] #870626
12/08/10 07:50 PM
12/08/10 07:50 PM
Amherst,NY
challengermike Offline
super stock
challengermike  Offline
super stock

Amherst,NY
I have had cars with 4 wheel drums that stop great and others that didnt.I dont know why some did and didnt stop well.Now the ones with good brakes would start to fade/heat soak after stop light to stop light racing after about 10 -12 lights of jamming the brakes to stop in time to race again.This was many years ago.But on another note my 99 dakota has 33 inch tires on it and they would also heat soak the front discs.I upgraded to drilled and slotted rotors and they never get hot now.

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: DennisH ] #870627
12/08/10 08:30 PM
12/08/10 08:30 PM
In the twisties
R
RokketRide Offline
super gas
RokketRide  Offline
super gas
R

In the twisties
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong track? Cars with air bags and traction logic are safer too. Better just park the old cars. After driving my modern Mopars w/modern brakes, I transition to the 69 w/11" hemi drums.

Yes wrong track. I dont see the need for your comment of overstatement when you misunderstand the context. Go ahead and drive a 4-drum car at the strip all you like, you only have to stop once.

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: Mike H] #870628
12/08/10 08:48 PM
12/08/10 08:48 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

As the OP, can I cancel this thread? I don't know how though. I have learned all I need to know, and it's definitely going south.

Nope, you can PM a moderator though and ask.

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: feets] #870629
12/09/10 10:19 AM
12/09/10 10:19 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Properly set up drum brakes will feel great until you get into a car with properly set up disc brakes. Either arrangement will work for the vast majority of the muscle car crowd.
My daily commute has put me in situations where GOOD brakes saved my bacon.

These 3 sentences by Feets sum it all up IMHO.

And as someone else mentioned, I also have had some drumbrake cars that stopped well (and some that didn't). But I have never had a discbrake car stop bad.

I have one drumbrake car left, and I drive it only on low-speed errands near the house - so I can drive it like a baby carriage.

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: feets] #870630
12/09/10 11:57 AM
12/09/10 11:57 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass

Properly set up drum brakes will feel great until you get into a car with properly set up dic brakes. Either arrangement will work for the vast majority of the muscle car crowd. For those of us with a more spirited driving style only the discs will do.

...The majority of the resto/musclecar crowd is content to armchairing it at shows, or parade driving, so they're content with drum brakes, and can't comprehend the need for discs, or even 4 wheel discs, or OD transmissions for that matter as well,.....for those of us who enjoy putting the speedometer in the triple digits on the road or track, 4 wheel discs, and large capacity rotors/calipers are mandatory

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: DAYCLONA] #870631
12/09/10 12:11 PM
12/09/10 12:11 PM
Holly/MI
D
Dean_Kuzluzski Offline
master
Dean_Kuzluzski  Offline
master
D

Holly/MI
Nobody mentioned yet..........

the REAL problem with retrofitting ABS onto a non-original application is the software development required for the "controller" to read and respond to the vehicles weight and suspension. Not to mention most systems incorporate a "fast shock" system too with sensors know as "pitch" and "yaw" sensors.

I agree, the factory drums are for the more "relaxed" crowd. Once my old 69 Rr started running low 13's, playing around out on the boulevards got a bit too hair raising to not upgrade. And keeping up with the morning traffic on the interstate was living on borrowed time. Not worth the risk of wadding my old ride after all the work.

Going overkill is another macho deal. Cool for some, not necessary for me. So to speak, I buy enough truck to haul the load, the factory Mopar big brakes and an adjustable prop valve is very adaquate for my lightened B-body (3440 lbs).

But I only do my go fast driving in a straight line.

R.I.P.- Gary "Coop" Davis 02/09/68-05/13/04
Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: Mike H] #870632
12/09/10 12:34 PM
12/09/10 12:34 PM
Under My Car
Mopar_Country Offline
pro stock
Mopar_Country  Offline
pro stock

Under My Car
Well, I guess it all depends on WHAT you are doing with the car. With that said for the person just out cruising, driving defensively and obeying the traffic laws "properly" maintained drum brakes should be fine. There are several factors involved:
1- being quality shoes and properly surfaced drums
2- being how well the hydraulic system is maintained, brake fluid loves moisture in the short term up to 2% of your fluid can be water in the long term if not changed at least annually can be up to 8%, now that's a lot of water to have in your system and
3- tire width. A narrow tire can allow lockup whereas a wider tire that grips the road better will tend to turn more in a harder braking situation thus alleviating some lockup.

So again if you are just a normal Sunday driver you should be fine with a drum system that is well maintained.

IF you are in situations where repeated braking is required then disc/disc or disc/drum is THE way to go. 80% of your braking power is in the front.

Through research and development disc has been proven overwhelmingly better than drum simply because they can and will dissipate heat better. Heat is your enemy.

My car has OEM disc/drum and for a normal driver I find it adequate. IF I were to road race or I lived in an area where I had to do repeated stops in traffic I would at the very least upgrade the front disc to something more modern as there capabilities of removing heat are much better.

Just my

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: Mike H] #870633
12/09/10 01:00 PM
12/09/10 01:00 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

What would you want to go and do a thing like that for? We're just getting warmed up. Welcome to Moparts in the winter.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: feets] #870634
12/09/10 01:09 PM
12/09/10 01:09 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Feets, I think you just became the winner again.

Re: So, how much braking do you really need? [Re: DAYCLONA] #870635
12/09/10 01:58 PM
12/09/10 01:58 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

...The majority of the resto/musclecar crowd is content to armchairing it at shows, or parade driving, so they're content with drum brakes, and can't comprehend the need for discs, or even 4 wheel discs, or OD transmissions for that matter as well,.....for those of us who enjoy putting the speedometer in the triple digits on the road or track, 4 wheel discs, and large capacity rotors/calipers are mandatory

Proporationing valve mounted under the dash which helps this car with factory Disc/ drum brakes perform great. I can lock all four at the same time.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7