07/10/08 01:09 PM
07/10/08 01:09 PM
Fort Lee, VA
BattleCruiser71 Offline OP
mopar
BattleCruiser71  Offline OP
mopar

Fort Lee, VA
I hope this isn’t repeating a thread; I haven’t been a moparts regular for a long time.
Ok, so after a lifetime of using old Mopars for my daily driver to this very day, I realize that I’ll simply never be able to drive a Neon, Civic, Economy Car X or anything else as hard as I’ve tried. That said, funding fuel for old Mopars for the daily drive makes less sense as time passes and prices rise.

I’d like thoughts on these combination ideas for running old iron as efficiently as possible without going for a /6 Valiant (nothing wrong with that, it’s just not my thing right now).
Here's my answer to keeping my pride and my sanity without breaking the bank too badly on the car, the modifications, or the gas bill. Let me know what you think.

A “lightweight” B-body; (1966 Coronet 2-door with nothing but A/C for options)

Original 90,000 mile 273 in great shape (read, I’m NOT rebuilding the engine).

Modern Magnum heads on the LA engine; yes I know these require different lifters and pushrods, have different valve covers and need the Mopar Performance intake with the vertical bolts I’d obviously use the dual plane.

Dual exhaust (for better or worse, you gotta have it) thru the cast iron manifolds. I understand that headers are more efficient but need a richer mixture; I would use a little 2-bbl hydraulic cam (original 2-bbl ‘66 273 has solid lifters -right?) If the small cam and magnum heads would allow for headers without running rich, then I’d run them, but the idea here is staying in an old ride with a little small block rumble but best economy, not high performance (read, my objective is not performance here and I’m ok with that, I have a 383 Charger that goes fast just fine). What do you think headers would do for mileage?

I’d stick with the original trans and converter, works like a champ, and also keep the 2.76 gears.
Electronic ignition, new plugs, wires, perhaps a K&N filter element.

What carburetor? obviously a small 4-bbl with a choke that can be set up to run well on a non-performance application, obviously something that’ll run well a little bit on the lean side. I was thinking maybe a Street Demon if for no other reason than I hear tech support is outstanding.

Add electronic ignition, keep the tires inflated, (225/70R15s on 15x7 steel rims from an 88 5th avenue with dog dish) and use good low friction fluids in the trans and rear.

Since it’s a daily-daily, I was also considering getting the classic air A/C setup rather then messing with the original system. That should help out in the weight dept and also be a ton less parasitic power loss.

I do realize that the expense I go to here will mean it takes a while to realize any savings, but I’m ok with that. I figure as it sits, driven conservatively, the car should get about 14 and 22 MPG. I was thinking that the above mods might bump that up to maybe 16 and 26 mostly by leaner 4-bbl primary jetting, better heads, duals, and electronic ignition.

Am I smoking dope or am I in the ballpark? Remember, daily efficiency and reliability is the goal, NOT performance. As long as it’ll downshift and I can get a little kick from the secondaries, I’m good with it.

Ole' Ugly, my 1985 Gran Fury. Luke, my 39,000 mile 77 New Yorker, Darth, my 50,000 mile 60 New Yorker.
Re: daily driver engine package opinion question [Re: BattleCruiser71] #86758
07/10/08 01:18 PM
07/10/08 01:18 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
I think you're smoking dope man. What do you mean by you can't drive an economy car? Can you physically not fit into the car and drive it? If so, something tells me you have bigger(waistline) problems than car selection!

But it could be done, no matter what I don't think you could expect anything better than low 20's on the highway, especially at the speeds you americans fly at on the highway. But I guess the question comes down to whether you want to be spending all your time/energy/money into fixing a daily driver up into something you want or just driving your 383 car and putting the money saved into the gas tank instead of buying another car.

Re: daily driver engine package opinion question [Re: BattleCruiser71] #86759
07/10/08 01:21 PM
07/10/08 01:21 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Mobarge Offline
pro stock
Mobarge  Offline
pro stock

Los Angeles, CA
I like the idea. If it is a DD, I'd look for a 5.7 Hemi out of a wrecked Charger / 300, with all the modern electronics... but that is just me.

Your combo sounds good. I like the idea of a pretty mild cam and a 2 bbl carb. Stock exhaust manifolds should work well.

'71 SSP - SOLD!
Re: daily driver engine package opinion question [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #86760
07/10/08 01:27 PM
07/10/08 01:27 PM
Fort Lee, VA
BattleCruiser71 Offline OP
mopar
BattleCruiser71  Offline OP
mopar

Fort Lee, VA
hahaha, I'm one of those lucky 6 foot tall skinny guys (another reason I can't abide some little crap-mobile actually).

Yes, you're right about the time-effort-up-front-expense factor in doing this, there's much to consider, I gotta go pull the magnum heads from the yard, the car isn't perfect to begin with (but not bad either) but I think the 8-14 mpg in the large big block 71 with the 3.23's is prohibitivly expensive compared to what I think I might be able to get out of the Coronet.

I haven't decided if it's worth my time to do this, as builds-up go, it's not very extensive. all I do know is that I just can't buy a new car. I can't tell you how often I've walked onto a car lot intending to buy and walked away for no other reason than I just couldn't bring myself to buy a plastic jellybean like the rest of the sheeple own. I don't like little trucks, and I don't want or need a large truck, so here I am.

Ole' Ugly, my 1985 Gran Fury. Luke, my 39,000 mile 77 New Yorker, Darth, my 50,000 mile 60 New Yorker.
Re: daily driver engine package opinion question [Re: BattleCruiser71] #86761
07/10/08 04:29 PM
07/10/08 04:29 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
I guess you already have the Coronet, but an a-body would be an easier place to start and I'd really be thinking about an overdrive 833.

Now, what I have chosen for fuel mileage is k-car derivatives, specifically LeBaron convertibles. They are cheap and turbo 2.2 with manual transmissions are out there. They get about 20mpg in town and 30+ on the highway (it seems everywhere but here in California where they reformulated our fuel to get worse economy). The LaBarons are also big enough for reasonably tall people.