07/08/08 10:37 PM
07/08/08 10:37 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

So this is a swap in a 65 coronet convertible from a poly 318 to a magnum 5.9 with efi.

Some of you may remember last year painless offered someone a free efi system if they could get them a 98 and up magnum 360.

Well I got them one from a 2000 durango.

They mocked up a harness and got it to fire up and gave it back to me about 3 weeks ago or so.

You may have read the other posts about what a pain it is to drop this thing in a b-body already modded by me for other things.

Here are a few pics.

Here it is sitting in the car after all that fighting.

some questions.
What does this vacuum port normally go to. It is plugged by a sparkplug boot and bolt.

next, where does this valve cover port go to?

do durangos have 2 pcv valves, or does that go somewhere else.
The other pcv valve you can see here

with a nice port for the power brakes.

This is how much clearance in the front of the motor with the fan and rad out.

but the sides are way tight

There are apparently 2 types of brackets for the front accessories. I kind of mixed and matched on accident.
The vans have a different power steering bracket.

I used the one from the van on the left.
It lowers the ps pump a bit.
So as you can see it just clears the battery tray.

If you take a durango motor and put in a van ps pump, neither the durango or van belt work. The durango belt is too short and the van one is too long. We found one in the middle 070976 I think was the part number, but I will make sure later.

However this caused another problem. Since I switched to an aluminum radiator, and it was a dual pass set up for the poly, the ps pump now is right at the inlet.

and you can see the fan/rad clearance to the engine

That is a new fan btw. The old set I ran is the same as Feets set up on the tt440. It had to clear the pulleys on the old poly, but would have rubbed against the tensioner in the 5.9.

New fan feets is fitting to the rad. Still not happy about the water from the day before.

close up of this massive fan

You might have noticed that all the linkages are on the wrong side of the motor.
The whole thing is cable controled for the kick down and throttle on the other side.
You need these parts off the donor trucks transmission.

The top photo shows 2 sets of parts. One set from an early magnum van, the second from a later magnum van. The yard I went to didn't lable them well, so your guess is as good as mine.
The early set uses the shorter of the two brackets that hold the cable, and a linkage with a ball on the bottom. the taller one uses the one with the ball on top.
The ring piece holds the spring in front of the linkage, and the linkage has a hole for the other end of the spring. HAven't put it in yet, but will update with pics on that.
Got 2 nuts and bolts to try and hold it in place. a 9/16 x 1/2 inch bolt and I guess a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. Pics of that stuff later.

sensor changes that painless did to plug into their harness

Not sure if one of the second set is a stock one or not.

Since the 65 b puts all the heater hoses in the center on the drivers side, I had to get a new piece to allow a hook up from all the way over on the passenger side, due to that stand pipe they put in.

Anything I missed?
Don't have their harness yet, Feets and I have a bit more work to do to get it back to them for test and tune.
I will work on it over the next few nights and weekends.

Got the ps hoses and a/c all hooked up last night. Had a place make new hoses for the conversion. Was going to try and put in the heater hoses tonight, but I can't due to the storms.

After that some electrical work to stop the 120 amp alt from eating the rest of my car and set it up for the painless stuff.

Re: poly to 5.9 magnum swap pics and a couple of ?? [Re: Andrewh] #86166
07/08/08 11:07 PM
07/08/08 11:07 PM
Tampa , Fl
MoparJoe Offline
super gas
MoparJoe  Offline
super gas

Tampa , Fl
The vac port you have plugged on the front of the TB is for an emissions part, just needs a simple cap since it's above the throttle blades, the hose barb on the pass side goes to the air cleaner, if you pull it out a standard breather fits in the hole.

The 2nd vac hose on the dr side is for the brake booster.

Is painless still using the stock crank and cam sensors to run the engine?

Re: poly to 5.9 magnum swap pics and a couple of ?? [Re: MoparJoe] #86167
07/09/08 07:38 AM
07/09/08 07:38 AM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

Thanks. No they are not using the stock crank sensor. They are putting something in the distributer to get that.
That is why the distributer is missing right now. They still have it to build whatever it is they are putting in.