07/08/08 03:21 PM
07/08/08 03:21 PM
Elizabethton Tn
L
louie heaton Offline OP
louie heaton  Offline OP
L

Elizabethton Tn
Have a 96 two door neon, need to take the door panels off,, have a haynes book, it shows slipping a thin piece of cloth or shop towel under it between the panel and cranks and kind of sawing back and forth,, "work the cloth back and forth behind the handle to dislodge the retainer" this is to remove the window crank retaining clip. This didn't seem to work for me...it is of course a manual window model... whats the trick to this,, evrything else fell into place to remove the door panels except this...

70 T/A clone, Hensley built 440,(not much more than stock) Low 12's at Bristol,(17 miles from here)8 other various Mopars, used to have 800+ posts back around 2001.
Re: Neon window cranks [Re: louie heaton] #85825
07/08/08 04:57 PM
07/08/08 04:57 PM
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Dartslantsix Offline
super stock
Dartslantsix  Offline
super stock

Klamath Falls, Oregon
If you work it enough it will work. It is a pain though. You have to get the end of the clip to catch on the clothe which pulls it loose. Keep trying it, sawing back and forth all around the handle.

Re: Neon window cranks [Re: louie heaton] #85826
07/08/08 05:36 PM
07/08/08 05:36 PM
Elizabethton Tn
L
louie heaton Offline OP
louie heaton  Offline OP
L

Elizabethton Tn
Thanks slantsix, was only "sawing" at bottom, didn't try all around,, maybe it will work,,Oh then how do you put the clip back on.. I guess maybe start it and when you push the crank on it will seat itself????

70 T/A clone, Hensley built 440,(not much more than stock) Low 12's at Bristol,(17 miles from here)8 other various Mopars, used to have 800+ posts back around 2001.
Re: Neon window cranks [Re: louie heaton] #85827
07/08/08 05:42 PM
07/08/08 05:42 PM
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Dartslantsix Offline
super stock
Dartslantsix  Offline
super stock

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Once you get the clip out and the crank off...
There's a slot on the crank where the clip seats. Put it on the crank and when you push the crank onto the shaft, the clip will just snap into place. Really easy to put back together. (which is probably why they designed it that way...)

Re: Neon window cranks [Re: louie heaton] #85828
07/08/08 09:30 PM
07/08/08 09:30 PM
Elizabethton Tn
L
louie heaton Offline OP
louie heaton  Offline OP
L

Elizabethton Tn
Thanks again dartslantsix.. Once I pushed in on the door panel a little and looked I could see the clip,, I used my trusty snap-on double 45 pick to reach in there and it snapped right out, in the driveway,, found it but I didn't see how it went back in,, boy did I screw it up,, I thought it had to push through from the small end through both slots,, like to have never got it through,, then it looked like it would REALLY hold, with two sides on the inside to catch in the groove,,needles to say I couldn't hammer it on with a rubber hammer,, so much tension that way,, anyway when I popped the other one off,, I figured I'd try it a different way, just putting the two legs OUTSIDE the handle shaft,, didn't leave a lot to catch in the groove, but I guess it doesn't need much,, it popped right on just pressing with the heel of my hand, your right simple to get back on,, well finally after 30 minutes of trying got the other clip out,, all mangled up,, was able to bend it somewhat into shape, enough to I think hold it on...bet that is all of a .25 cent part.. if ANY thing can be had for a quarter these days..I'm sure the cloth deal would have worked if I had 'sawed" all the way around, I see how it will catch one end of the clip and just jerk it out.. Thanks again, looking back I wish you could have seen how I put that first clip back in ,, it was worth a good laugh...