northeast ohio
H
hulmule Offline OP
pro stock
hulmule  Offline OP
pro stock
H

northeast ohio
I want to stripe my AAR today.I have a kit that came with the car .3m material but no instructions.my friend used phoenix graphixs but he couldnt remember how much soap per oz of water . any help. thanks phil

1969 Dodge Coronet R/T Convertible
1979 LiL Red x2
2012 Yellow Jacket
2006 mega cab
1977 Trailduster
1979 Trailduster
Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: hulmule] #82540
07/01/08 07:59 AM
07/01/08 07:59 AM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Just put one or two drops of soap in a spray bottle if you got one.
The more water you use the longer it will take to dry. Trapped air bubbles may take days to go away.
The AAR stripe should be pretty easy to get all the air out.

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: anlauto] #82541
07/01/08 08:14 AM
07/01/08 08:14 AM
northeast ohio
H
hulmule Offline OP
pro stock
hulmule  Offline OP
pro stock
H

northeast ohio
my friend told me to wet the car and the back of the stripe . then get into place , wipe dry let stand for a few hour then pull the front paper off. sound right??

1979 LiL Red x2
2012 Yellow Jacket
2006 mega cab
1977 Trailduster
1979 Trailduster
Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: hulmule] #82542
07/01/08 08:59 AM
07/01/08 08:59 AM
Minnesota
72blubird Offline
master
72blubird  Offline
master

Minnesota
Yep just burnish water away from the middle out. I always hinge mine from the top with tape makes it easy to remove the paper. Don't worry about small air bubbles. When it sits in the sun those will work out.

What was I thinking....
Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: 72blubird] #82543
07/01/08 10:09 AM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Windex works too or if your brave you can do them dry.

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: hulmule] #82544
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

my friend told me to wet the car and the back of the stripe . then get into place , wipe dry let stand for a few hour then pull the front paper off. sound right??

Yep sounds good, but you should work out the water by rubbing it from the center-out with a plastic spreader

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: 72blubird] #82545
07/01/08 10:21 AM
07/01/08 10:21 AM
Ontario
C
Cudaworld Offline
super street
Cudaworld  Offline
super street
C

Ontario
All great points and like Alan said only a couple of drops of soap, I used dish soap. The AAR stripes I had were NOS, so I was pretty concerned about "stickage". The fatter stickers will stick but you have to watch the corners of each strobe as they get smaller to almost pinstripe width.

If your not careful you will pull or lift it. Instead of using a hard plastic squeegee (spelling)? I used a soft outside MACTAC squeegee that won't scratch the car. As you squeegee the water will run out the bottom. Let it dry a little, if your using Repops they will stick pretty fast... Peel the "premask" off on a 45 degree angle with the premask close to the body. Basically making a 180 angle from vinyl to premask. Slow and steady will help with bubble and wrinkles.

AAR - Start with Doors, around the handles, then rear quarter, then the most crucially important straight front fender. If this is not straight you will hate thos stickers forever. LOL.

Here's pics of mine in action.

Chris

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: anlauto] #82546
07/01/08 10:22 AM
07/01/08 10:22 AM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
If it has transfer paper on it you don't want to get it wet. It will make it very difficult to remove. Tape it at the top and then fold it back over, apply the water to the car, pull the backing paper off and squeegy from the top down. If you start at the middle when it's still taped to the car with the backing paper still attached your asking for wrinkles or an alignment issue.

For aar type stripes you can tape the whole thing to the car and then cut between the stripes and do it in sections to make it more managable.

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: hulmule] #82547
07/01/08 10:23 AM
07/01/08 10:23 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
First clean the paint with alcohol or DX330. Then postion the decals with masking tape and apply half at a time. Tape acts as a hinge. You can use the lub as a release agent that will allow the paper to come right off imediatly. Just spray it on top of the paper and it will release it.
I've applied many decals over the years and have always let the decal dry then removed the paper. I watched my painter apply these strips in about 10 mins, paper off rightaway at the show floor.No BS

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: Challenger 1] #82548
07/01/08 10:03 PM
07/01/08 10:03 PM
northeast ohio
H
hulmule Offline OP
pro stock
hulmule  Offline OP
pro stock
H

northeast ohio
thanks guys, well ididnt get to them today , got the dash installed and gauges, new gas tanks and some paint work. got to check on my son at boy scout camp tomorrow and see how he's doing..glad i waited some great tips thanks again!!phil

1979 LiL Red x2
2012 Yellow Jacket
2006 mega cab
1977 Trailduster
1979 Trailduster
Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: Neil] #82549
07/01/08 10:11 PM
07/01/08 10:11 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Quote:

If it has transfer paper on it you don't want to get it wet. It will make it very difficult to remove. Tape it at the top and then fold it back over, apply the water to the car, pull the backing paper off and squeegy from the top down. If you start at the middle when it's still taped to the car with the backing paper still attached your asking for wrinkles or an alignment issue.

For aar type stripes you can tape the whole thing to the car and then cut between the stripes and do it in sections to make it more managable.

Have you EVER striped an AAR??????????????

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #82550
07/01/08 10:19 PM
07/01/08 10:19 PM
northeast ohio
H
hulmule Offline OP
pro stock
hulmule  Offline OP
pro stock
H

northeast ohio
no i havent, but i'm going to learn!!put 2 motors together by myself and one ran 13:40 in the 1/4.ran that motor at 6200 to 6500 till some told me not to run a big block that high! LOL so i think if i lay it out, check my lay out, take my time i just learned something!!

1979 LiL Red x2
2012 Yellow Jacket
2006 mega cab
1977 Trailduster
1979 Trailduster
Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: hulmule] #82551
07/01/08 10:43 PM
07/01/08 10:43 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Phil.... slow down. You need a plan. Some of the above advice is pure bovine excrement.
I have striped an AAR, and other mopars.
The soap and water works, but I have had better success with a weak solution of WINDEX (not Glass Plus) By weak I mean about 1 part windex to 2 parts water..in the spray bottle. You WANT it wet, it allows EXACT placement.
Make sure the paint surface is very clean. Any dust nibs in the paint sould have alread been removed. Obviously wax free.
The AAR stripe comes in three pieces per side. You begin with the door. BEFORE you peal off the adhesive backing center the handle opening over the door handle (shown very well by the excellent photos above!) and measure the drop at the front of the door. I am sorry but I don't have the spec but there IS a factory distance from the shoulder door line and the top of the stripe--if you can't get it , then figure out what pleases you and make a reference mark or better yet write the distance down so you can measure as you go. Obviously the front fender stripe BEGINS with your choice of placement here so take that into account. BUT, its possible and desireable to incorporate the door to fender gaps into the stripe so that the actual segment that spans the gap ends up being the same width! Understand that! You will be pleased with the result! The front fender begins where the door ends and proceeds to the front where again there is a factory spec but this distance is really up to personal preference IF you don't use the spec. I prefer the tip to be about equidistant from top fender line to the beltline--do what you like, or factory--I have seen a LOT of variance.
The rear Is the same as the front, again with a fatory spec for the rear of the top edge of the stripe to the rear quarter line, just know what you want BEFORE you peal off the backing and get things wet.
Once you know your desired placement, begin with the door, use a squegee, bondo spreaders work great. Get things wet, it will allow you to move things around a bit. Be gentle. Once satistied with position start squeegeeing out water from the center out (not real critical with an AAR cuz the area of each segment is small) be gentle till you're sure its not moving anymore and then using increasing firmness. The whole time you are doing this the cover/facing paper is still on the stipe of course. Again...door first...THEN the fenders.
When you are done, (you're not DONE of course) LET IT DRY overnight. I suppose it temps are high and you're on a schedule you could do it later the same day, but overnight is good. THEN carefully peal off the facing paper. There should be NO lifting. MAke sure edges at the door are wrapped nicely. Admire your work. Be proud. Looks freakin nice doesn't it?

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #82552
07/01/08 10:46 PM
07/01/08 10:46 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

Have you EVER striped an AAR??????????????

Nope, but I know I could do it or any other mopar stripe since I worked at a sign shop doing vinyl graphics work for two years. I'm used to applying 4' wide by 15'+ long sheets of vinyl so a musclecar decal is small to me.

The fact that you can cut the AAR stripes into smaller more managable sections would make it very easy for a first timer compared to the longitudinal stripes found on the 70 challenger r/t for example. Can't cut one of those in half.

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: Neil] #82553
07/01/08 10:57 PM
07/01/08 10:57 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
If any of these mopar graphics have transfer paper on them use it to your advantage.

Tape the decal exactly where you want it to land. Use the top 1" or so to apply the tape. Try and keep the tape off your graphic if possible.

Fold the decal up over itself. Use a corner of tape or a helping hand to hold it up off the car.

Wet the car body.

Peel the backing paper off.

Carefully start squeegying the graphic from the top down. Don't let ANY of the decal touch the car unless you have used the squeegy to push it down. If you like wrinkles or bubbles ignore this part.

Once it's on carefully pull the transfer paper off while watching for any signs of corners lifting. If your solution was a little too soapy or you didn't press down hard enough this may happen in spots. Don't panic. Just use the squeegy to iron it back down and then try pulling the paper back off again.

Stand back and pat yourself on the back for not having to pay somebody for something you CAN do yourself.

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: Neil] #82554
07/01/08 11:53 PM
07/01/08 11:53 PM
Far Northeast.
mymcodebee Offline
master
mymcodebee  Offline
master

Far Northeast.
Windex and soap and water work but if you really want to make it a breeze stop by your local decal or sign shop and get a bottle of Sur-Tak(spelling?). You will not regret it.

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: Neil] #82555
07/02/08 12:15 AM
07/02/08 12:15 AM
Ontario
C
Cudaworld Offline
super street
Cudaworld  Offline
super street
C

Ontario
Quote:

If any of these mopar graphics have transfer paper on them use it to your advantage.

Tape the decal exactly where you want it to land. Use the top 1" or so to apply the tape. Try and keep the tape off your graphic if possible.

Fold the decal up over itself. Use a corner of tape or a helping hand to hold it up off the car.

Wet the car body.

Peel the backing paper off.

Carefully start squeegying the graphic from the top down. Don't let ANY of the decal touch the car unless you have used the squeegy to push it down. If you like wrinkles or bubbles ignore this part.

Once it's on carefully pull the transfer paper off while watching for any signs of corners lifting. If your solution was a little too soapy or you didn't press down hard enough this may happen in spots. Don't panic. Just use the squeegy to iron it back down and then try pulling the paper back off again.

Stand back and pat yourself on the back for not having to pay somebody for something you CAN do yourself.

You know what, I also worked at a sign shop when I was younger and the center tape, fold in half way of installing stripes was the only way I would install a sign on plastic, trucks etc... An AAR stripe is entirely different. Because the stripe is so long and needs to be super straight you really need to apply wet. I don't think anyone disagrees.

Get a water bottle, drop a couple drops of your favorite dish soap, fill it up 3/4 and give it a shake. It's better if you have another pair of hands helping you. Peel the backing paper off the stripe completley, wet the car and wet the sticky side of the stripe.

Starting with the door, lay it up till it looks right then make sure a second time. Once your comfortable with placement careful rub the stripe down to remove the water. Simple!

The next 2 panels are important. Don't forget to hold the folds around the door cause sometimes the don't like to stick.

I did my car 2 days ago, it was stressful in the beginning but in the end very rewarding to know their straight, no bubbles and no wrinkles.

Good luck man!

Chris

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: Cudaworld] #82556
07/02/08 05:51 AM
07/02/08 05:51 AM
Medina, Ohio
HEMICUDA Offline
top fuel
HEMICUDA  Offline
top fuel

Medina, Ohio
Quote:

All great points and like Alan said only a couple of drops of soap, I used dish soap. The AAR stripes I had were NOS, so I was pretty concerned about "stickage". The fatter stickers will stick but you have to watch the corners of each strobe as they get smaller to almost pinstripe width.

If your not careful you will pull or lift it. Instead of using a hard plastic squeegee (spelling)? I used a soft outside MACTAC squeegee that won't scratch the car. As you squeegee the water will run out the bottom. Let it dry a little, if your using Repops they will stick pretty fast... Peel the "premask" off on a 45 degree angle with the premask close to the body. Basically making a 180 angle from vinyl to premask. Slow and steady will help with bubble and wrinkles.

AAR - Start with Doors, around the handles, then rear quarter, then the most crucially important straight front fender. If this is not straight you will hate thos stickers forever. LOL.

Here's pics of mine in action.

Chris

Hey Chris, is that the NOS stripe I sent you for your car? It's about time you got busy and put it on. Slacker.

Mike

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: mymcodebee] #82557
07/02/08 09:12 AM
07/02/08 09:12 AM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Car's looking great Chris...Can't wait to see it next weekend in PA!

Re: applying AAR stripes ? how much soap to water?? [Re: anlauto] #82558
07/02/08 09:57 AM
07/02/08 09:57 AM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
If that were mine I would probably cut in between the graphic every foot or so and lay it on dry in several sections. So long as the tape holds the transfer paper in place you can cut it 100 times and it will all lay down the same as it would intact.

If the graphic is longer than your arm span the soapy water or windex is the way to go as it's much more forgiving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2