08/29/10 04:42 PM
08/29/10 04:42 PM
Sacramento, Ca
Darius Offline OP
master
Darius  Offline OP
master

Sacramento, Ca
I am STUPID when it comes to auto electrical issues so here is my question for those of you who "get it"
If my battery reads 11.9 when the engine is NOT running and 11.7 when it IS running does this mean my alternator is failing?
I have a less than 6 month old battery in the car. I replaced it when the map light switch failed and completely drained a new battery I had installed the week before (I did not notice the map light on). Since then I have driven the car several times, one 250 mile round trip and several around town kind of things. Last week I noticed the starter not wanting to turn over and although it finally did, when went to start it after sitting a week it did not have enough charge to crank enough to get fuel to the bowl and start before it died.
yesterday I charged the battery to 12.03 and this morning I took it for about a 20 mile drive all freeway. When I got back the battery was reading 11.9 engine off and 11.7 engine on. I also noticed the amp meter registering barely on the white hash mark to the negative side.
Thanks for the help!

Driving modern convenience in classic beauty
Re: Alternator question [Re: Darius] #787136
08/29/10 04:48 PM
08/29/10 04:48 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
You have a charging system problem but whether or not it's the alternator is the question. It coule be the regulator or the alternator or some wiring glitch. Take the car to the local parts store and have them test the charging system. Most chain parts stores will do it for free.