08/27/10 03:11 AM
08/27/10 03:11 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I wasnt planning on doing this BUT I took some time yesterday and earlier this evening (at the advice of Jason Repucci) to lightly sand down on the Challenger to see if any of the old paint from Lee Camerons paint scheme would be visible. Sure enough, it is there. Unfortunately, I could not find any lettering. For the nay sayers and skeptics, here you go. Now the interesting part, how much of a negative spin can you put on this? Let us watch as denial sets in..

Lees Paint Scheme

Some of you, not all, but some of you were beyond critical and quick to assume. The one thing I am certain of, there will be no apologies nor will any of the nay sayers be eating humble pie. With that said, my behavior was 110% inappropriate. I have met some great folks from Moparts and sadly enough, I've displayed my more ignorant and immature side for the whole world to see, primarily to that handful of people who I have nothing but a great amount of respect for. For that, I apologize. I won't deny the fact that I am bitter over the instant attacks and irrationally drawn conclusions but again, there is no excuse for the way I responded and again, for that, I apologize.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: LEE CAMERON LANDY CHALLENGER, FOLLOW UP! #785354
08/27/10 03:49 AM
08/27/10 03:49 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Shawn,
It sounds like you've made some interesting finds (paint colors) and good steps in the right direction on documenting it being Lee's Cameron's car.

You need to get any written documentation you can find which considering it's 40 years later will be tough but worth it in the end.

As I've said before anything you can find showing real proof of VIN ownership by Lee from 1970 will help alot.

The more you can document it's racing history and legacy the better.

Personally I think the Lee Cameron legacy of the car is far more important than the subsequent ownership by Landy unless it can be proved that he competitively raced the car.
It sounds mostly like he just flipped it to Clarence.

What's it's worth is still gonna be subjective.
It's a bad market right now, but it just takes that one right buyer. (something someones signature on here says)

Document, document document.
Those are the best words I can say about the car.

Hopefully everyone will play nice in this thread.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: LEE CAMERON LANDY CHALLENGER, FOLLOW UP! #785355
08/27/10 03:55 AM
08/27/10 03:55 AM
currently on moparts.
R
Race&Resto Offline
super stock
Race&Resto  Offline
super stock
R

currently on moparts.
Shawn there is no need to apologize to anyone here because you were provoked by almost everyone on here in the threads that came up about this car in the past. I remember everyone taking shots at it saying it's a rust bucket, or it needs a rebody, to it's only worth $5k to $10k. Some people just don't get it or know any better, and expect an old race car to be in perfect shape after 40 years. I also told you months ago in an earlier thread on this Hemi Challenger to sand down the paint because I noticed some different colors that were visible on the car when you were advertising it as the Landy built Challenger. And some people even had a fit over that claim, even though Landy actually bought it, updated it, and resold the car to his Hawaiian customer.

See More Sanding Pic's Here!

Re: LEE CAMERON LANDY CHALLENGER, FOLLOW UP! [Re: Race&Resto] #785356
08/27/10 03:58 AM
08/27/10 03:58 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well I really appreciate that and it is nice to hear someone come out here and say it but regardless, I should have never stooped so low. Not only was it petty on my part but It isnt the first time that I've dealt with it. I mean it is unavoidable with this business. You guys want to laugh, I just hashed it out with some guys over at the ADVRider.com forum. They were 10x worse and what was bad about it, I made it very clear that I had absolutely no clue about this bike we were selling. I catch grief on most forums, other then the CC forum and some others. I don't make it easy on myself when I do take things outside of the box (using models, cross promoting, etc.) so it is to be expected. Either way, I'm sorry to those I offended and for those who watched me behave like a complete jack #$ss.

Sputnik, I appreciate the encouragement. I'm working with the DMV in Sacramento to see if I am able to get anywhere in that direction. It was pretty exciting digging through the paint and finding the paint scheme. My father was actually with me and he too was excited. We are all pretty happy about it. It would be fantastic just to restore this car back to Lees specifications. It is something we are discussing and may possibly just go ahead and do. Before the market started shaking, Galen had put the car at around 250k restored back to how Landy had it. Now I agree with you, it doesnt hold a huge amount of value based on Landy owning it but I do believe it holds some. Obviously not as much as Lee Cameron setting records in it. Regardless, it would be remarkable to see it completely back to PDQ specifications.

Re: LEE CAMERON LANDY CHALLENGER, FOLLOW UP! [Re: Race&Resto] #785357
08/27/10 04:00 AM
08/27/10 04:00 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
I do have to ask, Lee's paint scheme looks white on the above the body line, your car looks more yellow.

Edit:
Looking more at your pic I do see white towards the front of the qtr.

Edit:
Looking more at your pic I do see white towards the front of the qtr.

Last edited by Sputnik; 08/27/10 04:17 AM.

Re: LEE CAMERON LANDY CHALLENGER, FOLLOW UP! [Re: SNK-EYZ] #785358
08/27/10 04:06 AM
08/27/10 04:06 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

You know, I've been just steadily analyzing these photos and you can see in some of the other photos that it appears to be more of a pale yellow and I too thought the same thing. Like it is just a little too light but if you notice, they painted over the yellow with what appears to be a silver. I have not found any traces of the silver nor did we find anything on the passenger side door. I believe it was swapped. I havent began digging around on the other side of the car.

Oh and another thing, that light blue over the top, that blue is everywhere underneath that paint, at least on the top side of the car. It is hard to see in the photos but in person, I mean you can just see it all over. It seems like they did a lot of work on the top side of the car. Specifically betwen the back window and both rear pieces of glass, where the body would torque.

Either way, one thing is for certain, they painted that car with so many different colors as you can see in the photos. I believe they just kept layering over one another starting with the yellow and orange as the base.

Re: LEE CAMERON LANDY CHALLENGER, FOLLOW UP! #785359
08/27/10 04:10 AM
08/27/10 04:10 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

Well I really appreciate that and it is nice to hear someone come out here and say it but regardless, I should have never stooped so low. Not only was it petty on my part but It isnt the first time that I've dealt with it. I mean it is unavoidable with this business. You guys want to laugh, I just hashed it out with some guys over at the ADVRider.com forum. They were 10x worse and what was bad about it, I made it very clear that I had absolutely no clue about this bike we were selling. I catch grief on most forums, other then the CC forum and some others. I don't make it easy on myself when I do take things outside of the box (using models, cross promoting, etc.) so it is to be expected. Either way, I'm sorry to those I offended and for those who watched me behave like a complete jack #$ss.

Sputnik, I appreciate the encouragement. I'm working with the DMV in Sacramento to see if I am able to get anywhere in that direction. It was pretty exciting digging through the paint and finding the paint scheme. My father was actually with me and he too was excited. We are all pretty happy about it. It would be fantastic just to restore this car back to Lees specifications. It is something we are discussing and may possibly just go ahead and do. Before the market started shaking, Galen had put the car at around 250k restored back to how Landy had it. Now I agree with you, it doesnt hold a huge amount of value based on Landy owning it but I do believe it holds some. Obviously not as much as Lee Cameron setting records in it. Regardless, it would be remarkable to see it completely back to PDQ specifications.

It's easy for people to get angry when reading posts on here.
That's why they have a button for "ignore this user".
I've used that on on rare occasions.

As far as the car, what ever you can do to document how Lee raced it the better and that's how it needs to be restored to.

Re: LEE CAMERON LANDY CHALLENGER, FOLLOW UP! #785360
08/28/10 04:30 PM
08/28/10 04:30 PM
currently on moparts.
R
Race&Resto Offline
super stock
Race&Resto  Offline
super stock
R

currently on moparts.
It's also interesting that this car started out as a B5 blue 70 Hemi Challenger R/T with a Hemi 4-speed and Dana 60. But when Lee Cameron owned/raced it he swapped and installed a automatic trans and 8 3/4 rear end, as seen in this old article on the PDQ Hemi Challenger.

I'm also curious but did you ever find out if the Swift Dodge dealership sold or supplied him with the car, what type of sponsorship exactly. Also who are the 3 guys in the photo, and which ones are Lee & Jim.

Re: LEE CAMERON LANDY CHALLENGER, FOLLOW UP! #785361
08/28/10 10:05 PM
08/28/10 10:05 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Good for you sanding through, I recall mentioning that in a previous thread and recieved several rebukes,even though back in the day we basically scuffed them up and painted them.
Given everything, it's neat you pinned some heritage. Now, it seems to me, the new owner will have to decide to make it a racer, or stocker.
Either way it's a major project and may likely end up a transplant.

Re: LEE CAMERON LANDY CHALLENGER, FOLLOW UP! [Re: srt] #785362
12/23/10 08:26 PM
12/23/10 08:26 PM
California
H
hemibill Offline
enthusiast
hemibill  Offline
enthusiast
H

California
2 of my co-workers used to work at Swift Dodge and both remember the car in question. I am attaching a picture of one of them, back in the day. Maybe he can be of use in verifying this car once and for all. Here is his info he sent me:

I used to work for Lee Cameron in 1972-3. Worked on this car, rode in it at Sac raceway. It’s interesting to see it after all these years. Loren Lingren [lclingren@sbcglobal.net]

6374272-PDQ_Dodge01.jpg (222 downloads)

Stop making excuses... start making SOLUTIONS!