Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: quick77rt ] #779652
08/28/10 11:11 AM
08/28/10 11:11 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline OP
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline OP
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Great topic, and another ?

Which is a better manifold, the BB six pack or the small block manifold itself.

My slightly modified sb likes 7k max, ive run it to 7600 but it seems to fall of at 7.

Good Vid...pretty mild combo but the six pack works well..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxsguEwUgew

As far as stock for stock in the early 80s two friends, one had a very much stock 69 340/4 speed 3.91 Dart. Another an AAR Stock auto with 3.55s.

I know of no mods on the aar, the only thing we could tell on the dart was it had the big plastic spreadbore on it and it must of been lean as it got run hard and when running top end blasts you could eat a plug strap.

No getting back to the cars...I would say out of about 10 runs over a couple year period it was always the dart by a car length weather from a dead stop or a slow roll. stick/3.91 vs auto/3.55.

Both the aar and the dart were good running stockers and even in the early 80-s matching numbers, NOS, fender tags, never entered our minds just two cars on a country road doing what they were built to do...and them were some fun times.

Ive never run a tricked out T quad, but im leaning to one on a stock manifold/in a stroker motor in a driver project im working on.

I hate to ask the cost of a good 1000cfm unit, but then again it would still be cheaper then the full SP setup.

That would be an interesting topic! I think that the AAR was lacking in the gear department to run
EVEN with the Dart. The AAR might have had close
to 200 pounds extra weight to run with. Maybe the
combo of these factors could have been corrected
and the race would have been even, who knows. It
goes back to airflow, and how efficiently the motor breathes!! Seems like the stick/TQ combo
had a slight advantage over the auto/sixpack setup. Had the AAR ran 3.91's also, things would have been REALLY interesting!!!

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 08/28/10 05:04 PM.

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: quick77rt ] #779653
09/12/10 08:22 PM
09/12/10 08:22 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline OP
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline OP
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Great topic, and another ?

Which is a better manifold, the BB six pack or the small block manifold itself.

My slightly modified sb likes 7k max, ive run it to 7600 but it seems to fall of at 7.

Good Vid...pretty mild combo but the six pack works well..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxsguEwUgew

As far as stock for stock in the early 80s two friends, one had a very much stock 69 340/4 speed 3.91 Dart. Another an AAR Stock auto with 3.55s.

I know of no mods on the aar, the only thing we could tell on the dart was it had the big plastic spreadbore on it and it must of been lean as it got run hard and when running top end blasts you could eat a plug strap.

No getting back to the cars...I would say out of about 10 runs over a couple year period it was always the dart by a car length weather from a dead stop or a slow roll. stick/3.91 vs auto/3.55.

Both the aar and the dart were good running stockers and even in the early 80-s matching numbers, NOS, fender tags, never entered our minds just two cars on a country road doing what they were built to do...and them were some fun times.

Ive never run a tricked out T quad, but im leaning to one on a stock manifold/in a stroker motor in a driver project im working on.

I hate to ask the cost of a good 1000cfm unit, but then again it would still be cheaper then the full SP setup.

A GOOD 1000 cfm TQ setup would be equivalent to
the factory six pack setup, engine depending (cubes, compression, cam timing, exhaust tuning
and ignition setup/timing). The cost may be on a sliding scale depending on the engine also!! Either one you can,t go wrong!! Thanks for the
input, fellow members!! You have given me food for thought!!

"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #779654
09/12/10 08:30 PM
09/12/10 08:30 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Hyper ..... put DOWN that fattie and step-back from that keyboard ....and "eat" some of that food-for-thought !!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: dOc !] #779655
09/12/10 11:38 PM
09/12/10 11:38 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline OP
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline OP
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Hyper ..... put DOWN that fattie and step-back from that keyboard ....and "eat" some of that food-for-thought !!

Mediators please step in at any time!! I have ZERO tolerance for the sarcasm OR stupidity.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: dOc !] #779656
09/12/10 11:44 PM
09/12/10 11:44 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline OP
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline OP
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

If this is the thoughts and professionalism of a
Thermoquad expert, no wonder why so many members RUN HOLLEYS!! Scott Smith you've got my vote.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #779657
09/13/10 01:27 AM
09/13/10 01:27 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Oh Hyper ...

TAKE a chill-pill !! ...

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: dOc !] #779658
09/13/10 01:43 AM
09/13/10 01:43 AM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
They are addicting to a few of us these T-quads, I need a banana tool to adjust these bad boys. E-mail Doc??

6193209-022(1280x853).jpg (466 downloads)
Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: ademon] #779659
09/13/10 02:52 AM
09/13/10 02:52 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Damn a-guy ... those sure are nice-lookin-PlasticFantastics !..

Email coming at-cha' !!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #779660
09/13/10 02:54 AM
09/13/10 02:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

six pack will only open the outboards either too fast, to slow, or just what the engine needs (ie not fully open), depending on the spring.

thermobogs put all four blades on end when you firewall it, and the air valve open fairly fast without the dreaded "bog".. as long as a wanna be tuner never touched it.

so my vote goes to the T-bog.

YAY!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? #779661
09/13/10 10:50 AM
09/13/10 10:50 AM
ne
B
broncobra Offline
mopar
broncobra  Offline
mopar
B

ne
As far as looks go, the ONLY thing that looks better than a TQ is a Hilborn setup.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: broncobra] #779662
09/13/10 11:06 AM
09/13/10 11:06 AM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I am a very firm belelver in the T-Quad, I love them and I put them on everything but even I have to admit, they are THE ugliest carb EVER made!

I think the Holley HP carbs look the best but I can never get them to run right and they sure drink gas too.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? #779663
09/13/10 11:09 AM
09/13/10 11:09 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

six pack will only open the outboards either too fast, to slow, or just what the engine needs (ie not fully open), depending on the spring.

thermobogs put all four blades on end when you firewall it, and the air valve open fairly fast without the dreaded "bog".. as long as a wanna be tuner never touched it.

YAY!

I've run both. Both will bog and both will not open fully if they are not set-up. It has nothing to do with the equipment it has to do with the operator. AND I CAN SAY that when the outboards open on a 6-pack it's WAAAAAAY more of a kick in thattail than when the 2ndaries on a TQ open. Not even close.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: HotRodDave] #779664
09/13/10 11:28 AM
09/13/10 11:28 AM
ne
B
broncobra Offline
mopar
broncobra  Offline
mopar
B

ne
Quote:

I am a very firm belelver in the T-Quad, I love them and I put them on everything but even I have to admit, they are THE ugliest carb EVER made!

I think the Holley HP carbs look the best but I can never get them to run right and they sure drink gas too.

I may be wacky, but I have a TQ sitting on a Holley Street Dominator that will be going on a stroked 400, sitting on a table in my bedroom. The TQ is a beautiful work of art. It is the first thing I see when I get up and the last thing I see when I sack out. To help inspire me to get things done. Plus it fits in with my scheme of aluminum and black for the engine, with black AN fittings and SS braided hose. Won't get it sent to DemonSizzler until I get the engine specs worked out, though. At least I didn't roll the wheels and tires in here, they are out in the kitchen where they belong. lol.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #779665
09/13/10 11:47 AM
09/13/10 11:47 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

YAY!

I've run both. Both will bog and both will not open fully if they are not set-up. It has nothing to do with the equipment it has to do with the operator. AND I CAN SAY that when the outboards open on a 6-pack it's WAAAAAAY more of a kick in thattail than when the 2ndaries on a TQ open. Not even close.

well I've driven BOTH and I can tell you that the T-bog gives WAAAAAAY more of a kick in the A$$ then the six pack. Not even MEGAclose.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? #779666
09/13/10 12:22 PM
09/13/10 12:22 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YAY!

well I've driven BOTH and I can tell you that the T-bog gives WAAAAAAY more of a kick in the A$$ then the six pack. Not even MEGAclose.

six pack must not have been setup right. Never seen a t-quad outrun 1 holley at the track let alone 3 of them.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #779667
09/13/10 12:34 PM
09/13/10 12:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YAY!

six pack must not have been setup right. Never seen a t-quad outrun 1 holley at the track let alone 3 of them.

ha! obviously you don't get out much,,,
wanna be t-bog tuners always crack me up..
unwind the spring.. hell take it out THATS GOTTA be better LMAO.
I'll put my butt ugly t-bog up against a 6-pakshaquer anytime.

but the 1/24th of a keg does look GOOOOD siting on an engine.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #779668
09/13/10 12:41 PM
09/13/10 12:41 PM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YAY!

Thats an intelligent statment a lot of the buick guys use them in place of the QJ for more flow on the 455 http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=168155

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: dOc !] #779669
09/13/10 01:53 PM
09/13/10 01:53 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Quote:

Quote:

Any temperature fluxuation and I had to tinker with that air door again.

DOOR tinkering ...do it once ..and do-it correct ...with the RIGHT tool !

where do you get one of those tools?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: cogen80] #779670
09/13/10 01:58 PM
09/13/10 01:58 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Henry ...email coming at-cha !

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? [Re: dOc !] #779671
09/13/10 02:16 PM
09/13/10 02:16 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Henry .. you will have to email me ... the one I sent to you bounced-back to me ...

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8