08/28/08 03:05 PM
St. Louis, MO
DodgeMaterial Offline
enthusiast
DodgeMaterial  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
Dave - well said!

What seems to be intentionally overshadowed by a few is the fact that this car has HELPED the hobby and those of us who desire BETTER parts and components than have been available in recent years. Items like the carpet are due to your efforts to help the hobby and ALL of us... thanks! Dave

DodgeMaterial - Dave JS29U0B - FK5 - 440-4 Auto WS23V0A - EB5 - 440-6 Auto
Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #77603
08/28/08 06:03 PM
08/28/08 06:03 PM
U.S.A.
C
Captain Flapjack Offline
mopar
Captain Flapjack  Offline
mopar
C

U.S.A.
Thanks for replying

Im sorry but i guess I should have addressed my questions to the judge(s),

but going by a previous post of yours when you listed what points you got “dinged” for, and i didn’t see the carpet listed, + you are forthcoming about the use of the carpet, I was just wondering how the judging rated components like that, maybe the judge can chime in

I am confused as to your response. It sounds like you had some kind of point deduction for c-body parts on your
e-body???

Also bodywork that was done + covered with non original paint.??
Please don’t tell me you that you lost points for not having found 40 year old paint to use, that’s absurd.

Im sorry but im not sure if im following you on those issues

I agree 100% with what you said, its not just great parts but also great workmanship, research + detail that make a great restoration, the whole package!!

Your Picasso reference is right on

And as previously mentioned, I do want to say thanks for the help with all of the high quality reproduction parts that you and your restoration has developed or has helped to develop, they will be an asset to all who want to put the best readily available reproduction parts on their cars!!

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: Captain Flapjack] #77604
08/28/08 06:19 PM
08/28/08 06:19 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

I am confused as to your response.

I very seriously doubt that you are. As much as you try "beast" you will never talk or wish this one away.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #77605
08/28/08 06:29 PM
08/28/08 06:29 PM
U.S.A.
C
Captain Flapjack Offline
mopar
mopar
C

U.S.A.
dude, i have no idea whats going on + im even more confused now

i just dont get it

talk or wish this one away???

what in the world are ya talking about?

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: Captain Flapjack] #77606
08/28/08 07:23 PM
08/28/08 07:23 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

im even more confused now

I doubt that is possible.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #77607
08/28/08 07:45 PM
08/28/08 07:45 PM
U.S.A.
C
Captain Flapjack Offline
mopar
mopar
C

U.S.A.
then please enlighten me and explain your last couple of postings

instead of trying to respond to the valid points i addressed, youve decided to skate around the questions and start making insults

so i guess all is well as long as your being bowed down to and compliments are abound, but if you sense the slightest bit of scrutiny that you dont want to answer, you treat them like personal attacks.

ive made many compliments about your cars restoration, + services/items in your business, and i just ask a question in reference to the judging + you start responding with jibberish (to me at least) so i ask for an explanation + you continue to write nonsense

man, maybe youve lost it after all of the intensive hours youve put in on your car

chillllllllll

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #77608
08/28/08 08:10 PM
08/28/08 08:10 PM
St. Louis, MO
DodgeMaterial Offline
enthusiast
DodgeMaterial  Offline
enthusiast

St. Louis, MO
Quote:

I believe Keith Rohm was absolutely clear when stating that components were scored (twice) for both originality and condition. If it is original but in less than pristine condition, then it scores as “correct” but possibly gets a deduction for condition. If it is reproduction, it cannot receive points for originality but can receive points for pristine “condition“.

It looks to me like Dave W. did answer the question. I do not believe that the OE Judges return the actual judging sheets to know how a specific component scored. How is that skating around the question?

DodgeMaterial - Dave JS29U0B - FK5 - 440-4 Auto WS23V0A - EB5 - 440-6 Auto
Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #77609
08/28/08 08:24 PM
08/28/08 08:24 PM
boogie down bronx, ny
S
stevenjuliano Offline
enthusiast
stevenjuliano  Offline
enthusiast
S

boogie down bronx, ny
ok guys you got me. i have rec'd too many emails with links to this thread. i have happily watched from the distance. now it's time for my 2cents worth. this will be my ONLY response no matter who cuts me up or down. how many components make up a 70 challenger? the number is endless. how many of those components have all the "experts" found wrong on daves car? not enough to fill 2 hands. yes the battery cables arent 100% and the carpeting is reproduction. the battery cables on my hemi cars are C and E BODY 440. YES i take cables that are 100% correct for 440 cudas, challengers, and furys and splice them under the insulation to create hemi cables. has anyone ever seen an nos hemi ebody cable for sale in the last 20 years? i havent. do i deserve full credit for this @judging. of course not. theres a few more small minor things on daves car that can be up for debate. whats that.....an hour of work to rectify? an hour!!! on a car that has countless manhours?? woopie. so, if it were my car this is how i would respond to the people who are seeking the truth on whats right or wrong. "YES I BOUGHT NOS BUT NOT 100% CORRECT FROM NEW BATTERY CABLES, YES I DONT HAVE AN NOS BATTERY (BY THE WAY NOBODY DOES AS THEY WERE NEVER SERVICED)YES I AGREE THAT I SHOULD GET DINGED A POINT OR 2 FOR HAVING REPOP CARPET (SINCE THE GUY NEXT TO ME MAY HAVE ORIG CARPET HE DESERVES MORE POINTS THAN I) AND YES TO THE WIPERS, AND YES TO A FEW MINOR THINGS THAT GOT BY US.
so there you go. if i were dave thats what i would say. i wouldnt question these guys about why they dont go after my paint and processes. why would i? the fact that they dont question them shows me they know it's the best thats been done to date by anyone including the "pros" (quotes deliberate).

now heres what i, steven juliano, have to say ONCE AND ONLY ONCE about daves challenger. i will keep this short and sweet:

IT'S BEEN SAID A CAR CAN BE NEW ONLY ONCE. BASED ON THE UNPARALLED WORKMANSHIP IN DAVE WALDENS 1970 CHALLENGER I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT FOR THIS TO BE TRUE DAVE'S CHALLENGER MUST HAVE BEEN DRIVEN DOWN THE ASSEMBLY LINE IN 1970 BECAUSE TODAY IT IS NEW.

copy it, print it, quote me in magazines, line your toilet, just please remember it when you email me and try to start fights....if you dont understand my quote above then i cant help you.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: DodgeMaterial] #77610
08/28/08 08:29 PM
08/28/08 08:29 PM
U.S.A.
C
Captain Flapjack Offline
mopar
mopar
C

U.S.A.
hi

my question was in regards to the judging in reference to the reproduction carpet + no mention of a points deduction.
thats all

dave did say he was told of what the point deductions were and the carpeting wasnt mentioned

its not worth it if it ruffles feathers,

so enjoy, all is good

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: Captain Flapjack] #77611
08/28/08 09:28 PM
08/28/08 09:28 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
It's actually a good point that Beast brings up....
The current OE Judging has to evolve every year to compensate for the imporovements in reproduction parts.

Lets take the "NEW" reproduction rear parcel shelf which is soon coming to the market thanks to Dave's efforts at ECS.

Up until this time the current REM parcel shelf was generally used unless you were fortunate enough to have a perfect original, or a NOS one. So...How would the car be scored
Would the new repro which is (I assume) an exact copy of the originals score the same as an original (or NOS) one , or would it score the same as an incorrect REM piece?

Same can be asked about the reproduction carpet....I would assume you would score perfect if you had an original perfect carpet or a NOS one.....but how would you score with a exact reproduction carpet from ECS vs a reproduction one from ACC or TrimParts? Would it truly come down to fit and finish?
Lets say there were three cars competing ...A,B, and C.
A=Perfect original carpet
B=ECS's Factory correct carpet
C= ACC's basic $100 floor mat

How would they score differently?

Are there any OE Judges out there reading this?

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: Captain Flapjack] #77612
08/28/08 09:41 PM
08/28/08 09:41 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

my question was in regards to the judging in reference to the reproduction carpet + no mention of a points deduction.
thats all

dave did say he was told of what the point deductions were and the carpeting wasnt mentioned

Please stop this charade Mr. D.! Have the guts to say what you feel (as you) rather than using your snide little digs to point out things in an attempt to maintain YOUR "crowning" superiority. I think you interject YOUR need for greatness into my demeanor. I don't care if I decided to use ACE Hardware green Astroturf for automobile carpet! I don't owe you ANY explanation for what we did regarding this car. Besides, had I found NOS blue carpet, I STILL would have had to re spray the forty year old weathered “junk“. You’d be nit picking THAT if it were the case. I also don't think that the other hobbyist who will benefit from my efforts will have the same bothers/concerns as you do. Let me take this time to say that I sincerely apologize for my piece of junk Challenger using this hideous reproduction carpet. You might even consider suing all of us who were involved with the car's restoration for laying such a bothersome scenario on your shoulders. Hope this next gesture satisfies your obvious need for attention and accreditation:

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: anlauto] #77613
08/28/08 09:57 PM
08/28/08 09:57 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Hi Alan,
Excellent points. The judges are just that....judges. They don't ask you if parts are NOS or not. They look at these parts and it is their job to tell if it is original or not. When parts like "generic" carpet is installed and it is done correctly, it is almost impossible to tell the difference. The only way to really tell is because it looks too nice to be old and original. How far can you take this line of thinking? Look at all the people who say their car is 100% original when in fact they use hardware from AMK or R/T specialties. Many times the hardware is made by the same supplier but it is manufactured in modern times. How can a judge tell the difference when they are exact? And are the owners of the car "lying" when they say that the car is 100% original regarding repo screws or gaskets? Maybe not intentionally. I don't think that these items are even included in the thought process when someone is asked about originality. It goes back to some parts getting a "pass" while others are scrutinized to the nth degree. Concerning my carpet, I advertised MONTHS in advance as to what I was doing. Really now....what blue carpet did everyone think I was having made and for what reason? Same thing with the package trays. I didn't hide a thing! And again, I did have original used package trays that I decided NOT to use because they would have pulled the appearance of the car down. Those are decisions others may have dealt with in a different fashion but I opted to do things the way I did. That is pretty much the story in a nut shell. The question is.....what TYPE of nutshell did I use and was it the correct one?

PS....Original parts, in good cosmetic condition will ALWAYS take top billing!!!

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #77614
08/28/08 10:41 PM
08/28/08 10:41 PM
PA
B
BS27ROB Offline
enthusiast
BS27ROB  Offline
enthusiast
B

PA
This is about restoring a car to an as new condition. If a part when installed on the car has the exact appearance as the original, what would it matter if it is a reconditioned original, NOS, or exact reproduction. If it appears and functions exactly as original and by visual inspection it can't be determined which of the above it is, why should it matter?

Cy

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: BS27ROB] #77615
08/28/08 10:50 PM
08/28/08 10:50 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Hello Cy!

You are preaching to the choir my friend! Amen.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #77616
08/29/08 10:51 AM
08/29/08 10:51 AM
Thunder Bay,ON
LilRedDave Offline
super stock
LilRedDave  Offline
super stock

Thunder Bay,ON
Back to the car, what kind of history do you have on it? Being such an out of the norm color combo it must have been a special order? Also, when do you think we'll see the car in print?

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: BS27ROB] #77617
08/29/08 01:31 PM
08/29/08 01:31 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Quote:

This is about restoring a car to an as new condition. If a part when installed on the car has the exact appearance as the original, what would it matter if it is a reconditioned original, NOS, or exact reproduction. If it appears and functions exactly as original and by visual inspection it can't be determined which of the above it is, why should it matter?

Cy

If the judge can't tell a reproduction part from an original, then NO points should be deducted.

Maybe Dave's repro carpets are really that good?

Tav

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: LilRedDave] #77618
08/29/08 01:48 PM
08/29/08 01:48 PM
USA
E
ECS Offline
David Walden
ECS  Offline
David Walden
E

USA
Quote:

Back to the car, what kind of history do you have on it? Being such an out of the norm color combo it must have been a special order? Also, when do you think we'll see the car in print?

There is one other car with the same exterior and stripe color but has a white vinyl top. The magazines have done quite a bit of coverage that is in the works and will show up some time over the next couple of months.

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: ECS] #77619
08/29/08 02:23 PM
08/29/08 02:23 PM
Illinois
CRE2004 Offline
super gas
CRE2004  Offline
super gas

Illinois
WOW.....stunning to say the least. I have some questions, feel free to use round numbers...

#1. What was the total cost for this adventure?
#2. What do you do with something like this once it's done? It's obvious that driving it would undo the work and deteriorate the condition.
#3. Where do you go from here?

Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: CRE2004] #77620
08/29/08 02:30 PM
08/29/08 02:30 PM
West Coast, CA
T
Troy Offline
master
Troy  Offline
master
T

West Coast, CA
Quote:

WOW.....stunning to say the least. I have some questions, feel free to use round numbers...

That is a good question.

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!
Re: Taking it to the next level? Wow! [Re: Troy] #77621
08/29/08 03:04 PM
08/29/08 03:04 PM
N. of 8mile, S. of heaven
Spike Offline
Go Blue!!
Spike  Offline
Go Blue!!

N. of 8mile, S. of heaven
Quote:

Quote:

That is a good question.

After all the questions/comments ESC took on this forum about this car- some good, some...well?!! you get the point.

I think if they ever decided to do another car, they might just not tell anyone, show up at the Nationals with it under and assumed name and take pride in a job well done and enjoy the accolades without all the BS.

Page 43 of 46 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 46