08/07/10 01:33 AM
08/07/10 01:33 AM
United states wisconsin
bigblockbryan Offline OP
super stock
bigblockbryan  Offline OP
super stock

United states wisconsin
okay last week you guys gave me some advice get a timing light.i bought a craftsman one digital one now how do i use it.I now how to hook it up i now it cant be that complacated but sometimes i just have bad habbit of making things more complicated then have to be. also any suggestions were to get a good tuneing book thanks bryan

Re: 440 timing [Re: bigblockbryan] #767397
08/07/10 04:09 AM
08/07/10 04:09 AM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Hook the cables up to the battery. Hook the third cable that clips onto something onto the number 1 plug wire (drivers side, front). The wire should run through a hole in the clip. Start the engine (make sure the wires wont get hit by the fan, dont ask how I know). When you pull the trigger it should flash a light. If you want to give someone a seizure try using one at night, its pretty freaky. Anyway, on the passenger side of the harmonic balancer you should have a timing tab. There is a line scribed into the harmonic balancer. Point the light at the tab and look at where the line is relative to the tab. The tab is marked for 5 degrees after top dead center, 0 degrees, 5 degrees before top dead center, and 10 degrees before top dead center. Move the timing until its where you want.

If you have a dialback light adjust the dial to whatever advance you want, and then make sure the scribe on the balancer lines up with 0 degrees on the tab.

If you have a mopar electronic distributor you will want between 10 and 14 degrees of intial timing as I recall, they have 24 degrees of advance built into them.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: 440 timing [Re: GTX MATT] #767398
08/07/10 10:26 AM
08/07/10 10:26 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

If you want to give someone a seizure try using one at night, its pretty freaky.

I gotta try that. Might loop the clamp that goes on #1 around the hood torsion bars to keep the wire from falling on the manifolds which it always seems to do. I have to replace mine and it's (almost) as much as the (sears) light was

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth