07/17/10 12:54 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

The chart is one of many taken from: A Study of Automotive Gear Lubes - pdf. link

Quote:

This study is published by Amsoil Inc., and, surprise, Amsoil Severe gear 75W-90 comes out on top.

Really? Did you look at the study? Did you notice how Amsoil does not come out on top in every category?

Quote:

I'll take this one with a large grain of salt, thank you.

Bob

Take it as you like, but before you disregard it completely, consider the following quotes taken from the study regarding it's validity in testing and reporting accuracy.

Quote:

“The testing by which the gear lubes were evaluated was done in accordance with American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) procedures, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J306 requirements and Federal Test Method Standards. Other than the oxidation filter patch procedure, performance testing was conducted by an independent laboratory. Physical-property testing (viscosity, viscosity index, pour point and foaming after oxidation) was conducted in-house. A notarized affidavit certifying that the results are accurately reported is included in Appendix 1. Gear lube pricing was obtained from the manufacturers or distributors, and a notarized affidavit certifying that those prices are reported as obtained is included in Appendix 2.” - page 3

Quote:

“I further affirm that the tests requested followed procedures approved by the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM), Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and Federal Test Method Standards that are referenced in the paper.” - Appendix 1: Signed and Notarized affidavit - page 21

In other words, results of the study can repeated by any "independent" laboratory capable of running ASTM and SAE test methodologies.

Re: 8 3/4 gear oil, whats the best? [Re: hemirdrnnr] #748905
07/17/10 12:58 AM
07/17/10 12:58 AM
Pacific NW USA
CompSyn Offline
pro stock
CompSyn  Offline
pro stock

Pacific NW USA
Quote:

I have Royal Purple in my Dana and it is noise ,I am going back to the stinky stuff.

What weight of gear lube caused the noise?

Page 2 of 2 1 2