11/27/03 12:22 PM
11/27/03 12:22 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Etiquette for drag racers.....is there such a thing?

What things should a first time track user be aware of so they don't piss off the seasoned guys?

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7458
11/27/03 12:48 PM
11/27/03 12:48 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
The biggest thing would be to ask questions BEFORE going on track, or at least just watch the starting line for a while to see how things work.

Another big one is to make sure you know where the finish line and return road are so you can stop safely and get off track without crossing in front of the other car.

Read a rule book. Lots of good information in there.

It's up to us old-timers to help the newbies along, no matter hwat kind of vehicle they are driving. New blood is our future.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: slantzilla] #7459
11/27/03 01:10 PM
11/27/03 01:10 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

be sure you don't block someone elses pit space. I feel that the CARS have the right of way over pedestrians. Guys may be coasting back to their spot to help speed cool down, and they don't want to hit the brakes as they would then need to re-fire the car. Also, they may be trying to get into the lanes quickly.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7460
11/27/03 01:20 PM
11/27/03 01:20 PM
Wheels up, MO
N
nhramark Offline
master
nhramark  Offline
master
N

Wheels up, MO
Quote:

I feel that the CARS have the right of way over pedestrians. Guys may be coasting back to their spot to help speed cool down, and they don't want to hit the brakes as they would then need to re-fire the car. Also, they may be trying to get into the lanes quickly.

ABSOLUTELY!! Every track should have this posted.

Also if you have to bring your kids, dog, etc., keep track of them. The racetrack can be a dangerous place for innocents like that, and it's your responsibility to keep them out of harms way.

[image]http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/nhramark1/library/Racing[/image] 9.100 @ 150 mph 5.780 @ 120 mph
Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7461
11/27/03 01:26 PM
11/27/03 01:26 PM
Out of the State of Confusion
blue_stocker Offline
pro stock
blue_stocker  Offline
pro stock

Out of the State of Confusion
Real good valid points from all! Let's not forget about NOT leaving the cars in the staging lanes and wandering off to talk w/friends or check out something else, (jamming up the lanes when the staging director's trying to keep things moving smoothly) or blocking the staging lanes with ones pals in that ever-present 'Bull-Session', that can be addressed from another place, preferably out of the way! One note to the 'experienced' racers...try to remember the early days when we ALL made mistakes (like we don't do these things anymore?!), be patient and helpful to the new folks, they need it, as we STILL do ourselves! Have a great time...*varoom*

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

Freedom must be repurchased by every new generation
General Daniel Jones, WW2 Tuskegee Airmen
Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7462
11/27/03 01:34 PM
11/27/03 01:34 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Good points above.

ASk questions. Drag racers for the most part are very friendly folks. If you are not sure about something ask. After all we were all newbies at one time.

Watch the cars stage. Try to get a feel for where the pre stage and stage beams are.

My biggest pet peave is courtesy staging. What this means is do not rush in and light both your pre stage and stage bulbs before your opponent has pre staged. Wait until both pre stage bulbs have been lit before you pull in to stage. If the auto start system is on(does not happen much at most tracks)you have seven seconds before 3 of the bulbs are lit until the tree starts. Some feel if you light both bulbs before they prestage that you are trying to gain an unfair advantage on them by making them hurry. I dont feel this way personally. If it happens to me I make them wait even longer before I pre stage. Besides it is called Courtesy Staging for a reason

Be aware of where the finsh line is and where the return roads are and stay in your lane in the shut down area! In other words if you are in the left lane racing and the return road is on the right side the person in the right lane has the right of way. One of my only on track iincidents happened this way. I was in the right lane and was first to the finish line by over 1.5 seocnds. While slowing down in the shutdown area the other guy in the left lane continued to run under power in the shut down area. He cut in front of me to make the second return road and it was all I coudl do to avoid hitting him and ended up in the grass. Still not sure what his problem was. Just pay attention and know where things are at all times.

Also pay attention in the pits. Dont block someones car in or block a trailer. Watch for people on thier pit bikes, scooters etc, because they dont watch out for you. I wish folks walking and riding in the pits did but fact is they dont.

Go have fun, and dont be afraid to ask questions....Al

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: blue_stocker] #7463
11/27/03 01:38 PM
11/27/03 01:38 PM
CheddarHead till October
weedlayer Offline
master
weedlayer  Offline
master

CheddarHead till October
I almost rolled out of my car laughing when the newbie kept creeping forward until he was all the way down track, even with the tree, head hanging out the window,looking staight up at the tree, wondering when the stage light was coming on.

you should look to see where those light boxes are so you have some idea where you are pulling up to.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7464
11/27/03 01:52 PM
11/27/03 01:52 PM
Walla Walla, WA
H
Hemi_Jack Offline
top fuel
Hemi_Jack  Offline
top fuel
H

Walla Walla, WA
One of the 1/8th mile tracks I race at has track etiquette posted on their website. http://www.bonanzaraceway.com/Regulations/TrackEtiquette.asp
This might answer some of your questions.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: Hemi_Jack] #7465
11/27/03 01:58 PM
11/27/03 01:58 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Like Weedlayer said one of the HARDEST things to do as a new racer is to stage the car. Some tracks don't have lines painted and even if they do you have to know where the light beam box is. Pull up to it and inch your way into the beams. If you don't know where the box is your gonna embarass yourself for sure.

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: weedlayer] #7466
11/27/03 01:59 PM
11/27/03 01:59 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
Mike, all the things mentioned are great advice, and there's lots more too.

I feel its best to go prepared, mentally and physically and also be well equipped. Lots of things you can do WEEKS ahead of time to prepare.

1st, have a gameplan!
what do you want to accomplish? You lookin' for 10's first time out or a nice straight launch?? You lookin' to cut a perfect lite or find your cars perfect shift point?? there's so much to this you'll only begin to learn the first time out.

Sit in the car and mentally go thru each step of the burnout, are you driving thru the water or around?? pre-stage, and stage, are you leaving on 2nd or 3rd yellow?? tbrake, footbrake?? Have you checked your tire psi, fuelpsi, ?? Make a checklist and go thru it every pass. As you accumulate data from your car and your driving skills you can then look to improve certain things like 60', rt, mph, etc.

also remember the tool you leave home will be the one you need. Its difficult if your driving the car to the track, if your trailering its much easier to bring what you need. Don't forget additional fluids for your car.

Most of all, have fun and make some friends, to me thats what racing's all about!

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: MegaDart] #7467
11/27/03 03:26 PM
11/27/03 03:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Wow thanks for the great advice so far!
I have found with the different sport activities that I have done over the years that there is an un-written set of rules to follow for common courtesy to your fellow participants.....and yes I would like to start out on the right foot , so thanks again for the heads up on the "do's and don'ts"

Every single reply so far has giving me a head start in perparing for the big day in Feb of 04 when I start test and tune at my local track. This is where I will apply the suggestion that you guys are giving me now, because I want to be as relaxed as possible for the Vegas at the Strip meet im March of 04.

I will be printing out this thread for myself so that I can read it daily for the next couple of months, and make the suggestions given, become 2nd nature to me before hitting the track.

Thanks for the help guys, I knew I could count on you.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7468
11/27/03 03:47 PM
11/27/03 03:47 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

All good advice. And some more little points:

(1) Unlock both front doors

(2) Roll up the windows before staging (I got yelled at the very first time to roll up the driver's window! )

In general, develop a routine that feels comfortable.

Have fun!

Happy Thanksgiving, too!

440shorty

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7469
11/27/03 05:02 PM
11/27/03 05:02 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

another thing- if it is a small track, and you get there early, see if you can have a chat with the starter. Let him know it is your first time, and that you'd would appreciate a bit of help. Keep your eye on him even if you do not talk to him. The guys running the water box at Englishtown, for example, are usually very good. They will put you in the right spot to start your burnout, let you know when to "hit it" and then let you know when to let off. Of course you can just do your routine and not completly follow their guidence such as a shorter or longer burnout. Sometimes they will even motion you (hand waving up, or thumbing up) to give a bit more throttle. When they know you are a rookie they will even help you into the beams.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7470
11/27/03 05:39 PM
11/27/03 05:39 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

No whining/sniveling.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: ProSport] #7471
11/27/03 06:07 PM
11/27/03 06:07 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Here is a tough one. When in the staging lanes, don't let big gaps (5 or 6 car lengths) occur in front of you, pull up. I prefer that everyone pull up at the same time, if the group of cars ahead of you pull up, don't sit and wait.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1
Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7472
11/27/03 06:23 PM
11/27/03 06:23 PM
Truckville, the capital of NY
85_Ram_4speed Offline
master
85_Ram_4speed  Offline
master

Truckville, the capital of NY
i really cant add any more to this then the others have said. i watched ALOT of racing before i did it---actually, i just finally got the nuts to go out and do it. study, study, study. like others have said, watch where the cars are on the line and see what they do. if you dont act like you know what you are doing and have attitude, then others will help you out. walk to the end of the track and see where the turn offs are, find the ticket booth AND , OBEY ALL TRACK SPEED LIMITS. countless times i have been almost hit by someone(usually a ricer) that was going far too fast in the pits.you will be nervous enough as it is so try to settle yourself down and dont forget to breath---seriously. i have been racing for a short time--about 10 years, but i love the feeling everytime i get to go down the track and get out of the car. experience is all for the taking here. good luck

Outcast Dodge guy.
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: 85_Ram_4speed] #7473
11/27/03 07:24 PM
11/27/03 07:24 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I can't really add anything either, But stress the watch, listen and learn factor. And don't concentrate on how much smoke the guy is making in the waterbox, watch him watch his tach and pull gears. and don't be amazed about how big a wheelie a guy just pulled. watch when he reacted to the light. Get the feel for everything going on. There is a bunch of things you need to remember when going racing. and a bunch of things you must do from the time you pull out of the staging lanes, until you shut it off in the pits.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7474
11/27/03 07:40 PM
11/27/03 07:40 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well, I thought we covered everything but, I just remembered this little note for first timers. DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT IF YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING OR ARE HUNGOVER, OR UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ANY KIND OF DRUG THAT CAN SLOW YOUR REACTIONS. It takes 100 percent of your concentration. If you break a axle, blow a tire, or find a greasy spot, you need to be able to react. And one more thing. If you blow something up, get it on the shoulder as quick as you safely can. I've seen people blow them up and let it roll down the track surface, causing a hell of a mess and making it dangerous for everybody after them.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: Hemi_Jack] #7475
11/27/03 08:15 PM
11/27/03 08:15 PM
Pangaea
B5 Bee Offline
master
B5 Bee  Offline
master

Pangaea
After reading the rules in the link from Hemi Jacks post, #11, shut down area rules, has never been clear to me. I've been drag racing off and on for 30 years. I've heard all possible solutions to who should pull off the track first in the shutdown area, or who has the right of way. I feel if the turnoff is to the RIGHT, the right lane should turn off ahead of the left lane so the left lane racer can see it's clear to turn off. In some cars it's hard to see out of the right rear, so the right lane, with it's good visibility out of the left window needs take control and exit first and in front of the left lane so the left lane racer knows it's clear. And if the turn off is to the left, the left lane racer goes first and in front.
Anyone have any other ideas of shut down area rules.

Cecil

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7476
11/27/03 08:25 PM
11/27/03 08:25 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Here's a couple more;

Don't do an across the starting line burnout if you have front brakes!!! Stay in the burnout area.

Most tracks have a guy that waves you into the water box when it's time. If they don't, don't just sit in the lanes until the cars ahead of you take off towards the finish line, you need to be sitting in the water box, ready to do a burnout, when the cars ahead of you take off. Watch the car ahead of you, when he's obviously finished doing his burnout, fifteen dryhops, and is pulling his car into the beams, it's time to pull into the burnout box.

Make sure that your neutral safety switch is working and make sure that your car is in park or neutral before trying to start it. I saw where a guy was letting his wife drive his car. She had been pulling the car forward in the lanes. When they were about one car away from their turn, she hit the key and nothing happened. In a huge panic, the guy jumps under the hood and starts the car at the relay. When the car started (the wife had left the car in gear) it lurched forward and almost hit some people.

This sounds simple, but, keep it in your head that if you go through the finish line and the throttle stays wide open, just turn off the ignition. I've seen guys panic and go a long way past the finish line before they realize what to do, some have even wrecked.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7477
11/27/03 08:55 PM
11/27/03 08:55 PM
Long Island, NY
B
B1Ken Offline
top fuel
B1Ken  Offline
top fuel
B

Long Island, NY
Quote:

I feel that the CARS have the right of way over pedestrians. Guys may be coasting back to their spot to help speed cool down, and they don't want to hit the brakes as they would then need to re-fire the car. Also, they may be trying to get into the lanes quickly.

This is one of my pet peeves. Guys come FLYING through the pits or staging lanes with the engine shut off. My son almost got run over by Mark Dickerson at Cecil County one day. There IS a speed limit in the pits. My son said he didn't hear him coming and he must have been going 30 mph. I feel that people who do this should be thrown the f*ck out BEFORE they kill someone.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7478
11/27/03 09:35 PM
11/27/03 09:35 PM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
Anyone going 30 at our track will get a a$$ chewing from the owner.Not to smart but we have the ricers and they most of the time are not to smart. How old was your son?

If the MODS did their job I would not be hitting the notify MOD button. LOL
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B5 Bee] #7479
11/27/03 09:54 PM
11/27/03 09:54 PM
Walla Walla, WA
H
Hemi_Jack Offline
top fuel
Hemi_Jack  Offline
top fuel
H

Walla Walla, WA
SlantCecil, The turn off on that track is to the left that is why they specify for the left lane to turn off first. The main thing is never turn off in front of someone because you don't know how fast they might be going and if they could avoid you if you were to turn in front of them.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: slippery440] #7480
11/27/03 10:07 PM
11/27/03 10:07 PM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
At SIR we normally run at night and people who coast thru the pits with engines off, no lights, over that speed are idiots. If you hit someone you will quickly discover that the courts may not be sympathetic about your thinking you have the right of way because you are driving a race vehicle. 5 MPH in pits and return road is the rule here at SIR. That is to allow you to STOP if someone happens to wander into your path. At that speed you can probably not coast all the way to your pit location. Pedestrians in most states, and in AZ, have the right of way, not some smart a$$ in a race car. Further, the pits can be very crowded, and someone backing out of a space with the engine running may/can not hear or see you. Use a lot of caution.

Also the jerks that bring all their "quads, golf carts, and motorized bikes", and then let their kids and family cruze around the pits like it was their own race track. Personally if they outlawed all that stuff it would not bother me. At SIR the rule is that you have to be licensed to ride those things around anyway.

Pulling forward in the lanes with other cars, that depends. Here in Tucson the evening temps can exceed 100 degrees most nights. I DON'T start my engine and pull forward everytime the line moves. It is really no big deal if you don't do that. You are not going further than the front of the lane anyway until you are pulled out to the water box by the lane steward.

Most tracks require at least one rear light on the car after dark.

Staging depends on the track. We don't do courtesy staging here. Some tracks do, you should watch what the locals do. I like the autostart. It gets rid of the guys who like to screw around getting staged. I usually wait for the other lane to at least light the top bulb before staging the rest of the way.

68 RR 528" INDY MAXX 07 2500 CTD Southwest International Raceway - IHRA - Tucson, AZ
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: slippery440] #7481
11/27/03 10:26 PM
11/27/03 10:26 PM
Long Island, NY
B
B1Ken Offline
top fuel
B1Ken  Offline
top fuel
B

Long Island, NY
Quote:

Anyone going 30 at our track will get a a$$ chewing from the owner.Not to smart but we have the ricers and they most of the time are not to smart. How old was your son?

He's 28 now and he knows his way around the track and he's aware of his surroundings. He said Dickerson came within a few feet of him and he was just about to cross over the road when he went by. I've also seen this guy do this and I think it's time for me to give this guy a talking to. I almost got run over by someone on a motor scooter that had to be going 40 mph through the pits at Maple Grove. He came flying around a curve and I never saw him coming. Also kids drive quads and scooters through dirt pits stirring up all kinds of dust. If your working on your engine at the same time it can really piss you off!

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7482
11/27/03 10:37 PM
11/27/03 10:37 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Quote:

Pulling forward in the lanes with other cars, that depends. Here in Tucson the evening temps can exceed 100 degrees most nights. I DON'T start my engine and pull forward everytime the line moves. It is really no big deal if you don't do that. You are not going further than the front of the lane anyway until you are pulled out to the water box by the lane steward.

I'm guilty of this, and will continue to do so. As Bill said, you can not go very far anyways. I'll wait at lest 5 car lengths, or move when someone waves me forward. Tearing up clutch discs, and heat in the motor, to go 5 feet is a waste.

Quote:

Staging depends on the track. We don't do courtesy staging here. Some tracks do, you should watch what the locals do. I like the autostart. It gets rid of the guys who like to screw around getting staged. I usually wait for the other lane to at least light the top bulb before staging the rest of the way.

Courtesy staging, should be done at EVERY track. I do like the auto start also.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: slantzilla] #7483
11/27/03 11:26 PM
11/27/03 11:26 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
Quote:

The biggest thing would be to ask questions BEFORE going on track, or at least just watch the starting line for a while to see how things work.

Another big one is to make sure you know where the finish line and return road are so you can stop safely and get off track without crossing in front of the other car.

Read a rule book. Lots of good information in there.

It's up to us old-timers to help the newbies along, no matter hwat kind of vehicle they are driving. New blood is our future.

coming from a guy who hasn't had much time to go race I can say this is great advice,when I finally had time to go I went to the line and watched the guys stage,watched where the first yellow came on then the second,also watched when the lights came down and at what point the guys were taking off,then looked at the reaction to see who was doing it right,after watching for at least an hour I went and got my car,pulled right up as if I had been doing it for years and when the light came down pulled a .530 for my first ever light

Once I get done with this damned house I am going to get a car ready and start trying to go racing much more often,for the first time in many years I have a job where I have weekends off

who is that guy?
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7484
11/27/03 11:33 PM
11/27/03 11:33 PM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
You need to talk to the track owner.Ya those scooters are a pain in the a$$ here to.Like I said the tracks around here will not put up with that.Scares me after its dark and my car has few lights and little kids if not watched will run out into the pit roads.

If the MODS did their job I would not be hitting the notify MOD button. LOL
Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7485
11/28/03 12:36 AM
11/28/03 12:36 AM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Best bit of advice I can give, aside from all the other comments, is to make your first time racing at the track on a test and tune night. Usually the atmosphere is a little slower, no great rush to get everyone's time trial in before eliminations, not as many cars typically, and you can embarass yourself in front of fewer people in the stands. Get the bugs out of your car, and you, on test and tune nites. When you are ready and know the drill, try elimination day.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: Sixpak] #7486
11/28/03 12:58 AM
11/28/03 12:58 AM
Taylor, Michigan
1BadLiLCharger Offline
top fuel
1BadLiLCharger  Offline
top fuel

Taylor, Michigan
How about, take someone with you that knows their way around a dragway.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: JERICOGTX] #7487
11/28/03 12:59 AM
11/28/03 12:59 AM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
Quote:

Courtesy staging, should be done at EVERY track.

Jeff..

I agree with that, its just that unless the track enforces that it just doesn't happen. At some of the meets thats the rule and you are DQd if you fail to do so. I think that if Courtesy staging is in effect, the auto start should be on too.

Bill

68 RR 528" INDY MAXX 07 2500 CTD Southwest International Raceway - IHRA - Tucson, AZ
Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7488
11/28/03 01:09 AM
11/28/03 01:09 AM
Livermore, CA
D
Dduster Offline
mopar
Dduster  Offline
mopar
D

Livermore, CA
Here are some things to consider. First, find out which side of the track the turn-outs are located on, go down and familiarize yourself with them before you do any time shots, laps or race. Make sure that you do not cross over in front of the other car when you conclude the run. Let the car closest to the turnout get out first then follow. Second, please obey 'courtesy staging'and go in or follow to Stage in a timely fashion. Don't hang someone up getting your head screwed on, revving the motor, dry hops,...before the run: Be ready. Finally if you do not have slicks drive around the water box. Water dripped from street tires under a hard hitting car with slicks is never fun to experience after a solid launch. Like the other guys mentioned; go over your Starting Line sequence mentally in the car before you get up there. It will become habit but at first you are nervous and anxious. Be safe and have fun.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7489
11/28/03 03:41 AM
11/28/03 03:41 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

How about being carfull when your opening your doors in the staging lanes. Some of the lanes are quite narrow without much room to open your doors all the way. I have a nice little scratch and ding about the size of a quarter in my passenger door from someone in the Sportsman class flinging the door open into mine. Show some respect for others property. Also dont be leaning on someone elses car or hanging your head through the window.........cant tell you howmany times I have had someone leaning against my car when I come back from using the bathroom.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7490
11/28/03 08:35 AM
11/28/03 08:35 AM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Very good point, my drivers door needs some serious body work, one year the previous owner was at Norwalk, a tech guy opened the door on a windy day to tell him something, the door flies open and wedges itself into another car. Norwalk did nothing to pay for the damage.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: Dduster] #7491
11/28/03 08:41 AM
11/28/03 08:41 AM
Swamps of South Jersey.
W
wildcargo Offline
master
wildcargo  Offline
master
W

Swamps of South Jersey.
I guess this is one of the things that ticks me off that a lot of people do is spin the hell out of street tires in the watter, which gets thrown up in to the wheel wells when you go to the line it drips down leaveing a trail of watter the next person goes through after doing there burn out. so when thay get to the line no hook just spin. this happens most times at the mopar events, old time drags, exct. becaus of the cars running street tires I know that thay are there to have fun so am I I like to kid around in the stageing lanes I dont get mad if I get beat Ill come over and shake your hand if you win and I can find you, but it ant no fun going up in smoke on the line

Bud www.wildcar-go.itgo.com
64 DODGE
60' 1.433,
1/8 6.38 at 107.4,
1/4 10.08 at 132.02
foot brake, leaf springs
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: wildcargo] #7492
11/28/03 11:35 AM
11/28/03 11:35 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Every reply to this post is excellent info. I would like to copy and compress it into a document form for the tech archives, for the first timers, if that would be Ok and Tom would agree to that, unless he's already doing that.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7493
11/28/03 02:25 PM
11/28/03 02:25 PM
Mad River CA
F
fcminc Offline
super gas
fcminc  Offline
super gas
F

Mad River CA
As a tech inspector, I would like to add a couple things to some great advice. Have your tech card ready and filled out when you get to tech, we are not the pencil police. Second, walk the race track. i have seen racers go 200 mph and have never walked down the track. Show up early and take a look at the surface, bad spots, grass growing thru, sand. Most important, stay safe and have FUN!!! Jon

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7494
11/28/03 02:55 PM
11/28/03 02:55 PM
Long Island, NY
B
B1Ken Offline
top fuel
B1Ken  Offline
top fuel
B

Long Island, NY
Here's one I haven't read here. DO NOT do your burnout with a car sitting on the starting line. Most times the guy in the water box will signal you, but sometimes there won't be anyone there. My son used to run the tree at the local track here on Long Island. The owner was too cheap to hire a water box guy, so my son had to be the policeman. Some guy did a burnout with the two cars still on the line. My son walked over to him and had him shut it off. He respectfully reminded the guy, who was an experienced racer, not to do that anymore. Needless to say, the guy was not apologetic. He resented my 23 year old son telling HIM how to behave. There was also a group of street racers there with a $hit box T-bird with a heavily sprayed BB Chev. in it. They gave him a HARD time when he was tech'ing their car. REALLY threatening! The first time down the track the car got out of shape and crossed over into the other lane. The A-Hole got back on it and continued the run in the wrong lane. When admonished for doing this (not kicked out mind you) he said "WTF are you talking about? I went straight down the track! The owner, as I said, was too cheap to hire any security and wuold never turn anybody's entrance fee down. I wasn't too happy that my son had to put up with this Bull$hit, I can tell you.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7495
11/28/03 05:15 PM
11/28/03 05:15 PM
Westbury, NY
B
bumps440 Offline
super gas
bumps440  Offline
super gas
B

Westbury, NY
OHHHHHHH but now you hitting a soft spot with me........I can attest to the A.. hole owner of that track. which is why I willl NEVER < NEVER go back there,

Basically at this point in time , the track is not sanctioned by anybody and the owner, as ken said just likes to take in money and most of the "clientell" are street racers, that blow up their JUNK all over the track . and of course the owner doesnt have any good way to clean it up SO .....DAY OVER< go home

SORRY I didnt want to get started on that guy . So I drive twice as far to race at MUCH better tracks on the MAINLAND... LOL

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: 1BadLiLCharger] #7496
11/28/03 08:27 PM
11/28/03 08:27 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Like 1 Bad said, this is one of the best things
you can do, because you cant remember all of the
stuff the first time out, take someone that has
done it before(hopefully a feeeww times), he can
help with tires, refueling and checking your
coolant over flow bottle and other things, YOU
as a beginner just cant remember ALL of it, have
fun and ALWAYS be SAFE

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: MR_P_BODY] #7497
11/28/03 09:56 PM
11/28/03 09:56 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
Have a working neutral safety switch!
from time to time someone will start their car in gear while in the staging lanes,this leads to bent sheet metal,I know a guy this happened to,worse yet you squish a guy inbetween cars.

who is that guy?
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: Brian_wo] #7498
11/28/03 11:53 PM
11/28/03 11:53 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Have a working neutral safety switch!
from time to time someone will start their car in gear while in the staging lanes,this leads to bent sheet metal,I know a guy this happened to,worse yet you squish a guy inbetween cars.

I hear an echo!!!

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: MRMOPAR] #7499
11/29/03 12:32 AM
11/29/03 12:32 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

This is one of my pet peeves. Guys come FLYING through the pits or staging lanes with the engine shut off. My son almost got run over by Mark Dickerson at Cecil County one day. There IS a speed limit in the pits. My son said he didn't hear him coming and he must have been going 30 mph. I feel that people who do this should be thrown out BEFORE they kill someone.

i NEVER said speeding or driving with the lights off was OK, yet you make it appear as if I feel that it is OK. My point was that pedestrians need to pay attention to what is going on, and not assume that a driver will stop for them or that they can just walk around not paying attention.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7500
11/29/03 10:41 AM
11/29/03 10:41 AM
Cambridge Vt.
mark_gates Offline
master
mark_gates  Offline
master

Cambridge Vt.
All good advice here, and I think this was mentioned already, but if you bring small children, PLEASE keep them under control at all times. This summer our track announcer recounted an incident the previous week where a racer leaving his pit space backed over a 2yr old, killing her. The racer left his car at the track, walked home and shot himself in the head. I believe the child belonged to a spectator. I'm not against bringing children, but the pits are a dangerous enough place for adults, let alone small children.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7501
11/29/03 10:47 AM
11/29/03 10:47 AM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Yea I can't believe "Jerks" bring their quads, golf carts, and bikes to the track so that their friends and families will actually come out to the track since they rarely do because of the miles and miles of walking that goes along with a day at the track. Give me a break, slow down in the pits and take a few extra seconds to get back to your pit area. Every car should be able to make a run and get back to the pit area w/o over heating, if not they need a new cooling system or a quad to pull them back to the pit area slowly. The mopar nationals looks like the golf cart nationals and it doesn't bother me a bit, just more people to watch you rumble by.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7502
11/29/03 10:52 AM
11/29/03 10:52 AM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Nobody wants to hit somebody or be hit by a car. A race car with a full roll cage and the driver strapped in a 5 point harness, neck brace, etc. simply can't see everywhere all the time. People need to be careful, and drivers are people too.

Walking in the pits requires extra care. I think it is impolite for pedestrians to wander around like they are in California (not looking out). Don't go near a running car (they may back out). Don't go more than 5-10 mph in the pits either.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: bumps440] #7503
11/29/03 11:00 AM
11/29/03 11:00 AM
Long Island, NY
B
B1Ken Offline
top fuel
B1Ken  Offline
top fuel
B

Long Island, NY
Bobby, this is not the theme of this thread but this topic (Westhampton)is what gets Long Island racers boiling mad! There is a huge population of racers on Long Island that would LOVE to stay home and not fight the traffic on Staten Island & the BQE. It IS a crying shame that we can't have a decent track to run (or at least test) on.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7504
11/29/03 11:22 AM
11/29/03 11:22 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan

The pits is NOT the place to check converter stall speed, practice your burnout, or see how your car hooks up.

Don't give everyone in your party a mini bike, quad, or other motorized vehicle and allow them to spaz out with it in the pits, and piss off racers.

Re: walking the track, great idea but I don't think anyone would take too kindly to stopping the program to let me walk it. And it isn't like I can walk it when there is a race going on, so when is a person supposed to do that? Get there before anyone else does, and just do it without asking? That would also be frowned on.

Agree 100% on courtesy staging, and right-of-way to the turnouts.

Easy instructions for courtesy staging: Do your burnout, then light the prestage light ASAP, then wait for the next guy to prestage and/or stage.
In other words, whoever finishes their burnout first should prestage (only) and wait for the other guy to pull in before he stages the car.

I have never seen the autostart turned off, ever. It always says it's on, on the timeslip.

I'm guilty of not being 100% ready at the perfect time, and having to take an extra second to cinch the helmet down. I wear glasses, and in the summertime they can fog up something awful when the car isn't moving, so I tend to wait. I figure I am better off taking an extra second rather than trying to drive blind.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: ZIPPY] #7505
11/29/03 01:07 PM
11/29/03 01:07 PM
T
TMP66 Offline
super stock
TMP66  Offline
super stock
T

Zippy pretty well covers it all.The bottom line is common sense and courtesy in general.Remember, Murphys law is just waiting to happen.
Speaking of common sense or lack of it,one evening a moron in line for tech not 3 feet behind the car in front of him was going wide open throttle against the trans brake.How can any one be THAT stupid ??

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: ZIPPY] #7506
11/29/03 01:12 PM
11/29/03 01:12 PM
Mad River CA
F
fcminc Offline
super gas
fcminc  Offline
super gas
F

Mad River CA
Zippy, maybe stay after the race and walk it or show up early. I have never been thrown off a track for walking it and i normally find some debris to pick up. Just a safety concern that most people don't think about at speed. Jon

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: ZIPPY] #7507
11/29/03 06:13 PM
11/29/03 06:13 PM
Long Island, NY
B
B1Ken Offline
top fuel
B1Ken  Offline
top fuel
B

Long Island, NY
Quote:

I have never seen the autostart turned off, ever. It always says it's on, on the timeslip.

They only turn the autostart off when you're testing a Super Gas car and your interested in your reaction times. That's when you get quick bulbed and you waste a run. If you complain, they'll likely give you a 5 second wait on your next run.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: ProSport] #7508
11/29/03 07:50 PM
11/29/03 07:50 PM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
Quote:

since they rarely do because of the miles and miles of walking

Perhaps, In Jay Leno's words's, as one of the "fattest" nations on the earth, a little walking would do us some good.

You might also want to think about the fact that if you or someone in your family "hits" someone, you will probably be involved in a law suite. The tracks insurance does not cover you, the racer, and your own insurance frequently has a clause that allows them to hang you out to dry in such cases - participation in contest of speed. You could own a whole lot less assets in the future if that happens.

Most tracks with a web page, also have a first time racer page.. here is one:

http://www.sirace.com/rules/newracer.htm

Some key things, that have been covered before are:

1. NHRA requires at minimum a state drivers license.
2. Seatbelts - they may need to be SFI date coded and 3" width if your ET is 11.99 or quicker (13.99 or quicker if a convertible).
3. Safe tires (no cord showing)
4. All lug nuts in place. The wheel studs have to protrude thru the wheel and into the nut at least the diameter of the stud - and the nut will have to be open ended to allow the inspector to verify that.
5. No wheel covers
6. Radiator coolant overflow catch canister (the factory one may be OK) min 16OZ
7. No fluid leaks
8. Battery tied down
9. Long pants (no shorts allowed), and no tank tops.
10. If your car runs faster than 13.99 you will need an approved (SNELL 90 or better) helmet.
11. Opreational neutral start switch.
12. One functional rear tail-light for night operations.
13. 13.99 or quicker - drive shaft loop (on street tires your OK to 13.00)
14. If floorshifter - need a reverse lockout on the shifter.
15. Battery in trunk - you need a battery cutoff switch.

Your track may have other requirements too, and the tech inspector has the final say...

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: MRMOPAR] #7509
12/09/03 02:03 AM
12/09/03 02:03 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I know sometimes it is un avoidable... I know that, but at local small time drags/weekend deals. Shut the damn car off for the national anthem. Nothing worse than a couple of reds leaning over a Chivy Nova revving it to 8000 during the anthem. Nascar issues fines.
As far as safety...... nothing like a leaky overflow/fuel cell overflow..

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7510
12/09/03 02:09 AM
12/09/03 02:09 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

This is really going to hurt some feelings too, but you asked..
"10. If your car runs faster than 13.99 you will need an approved (SNELL 90 or better) helmet."
You have a 12 point roll cage, you bought a simpson 3 layer fire suit, you bought $140 simpson 2 layer gloves, you bought the No fear foil/heat shoes........ Yet your wearing a motocycle helmet... Its Snell 2000, but it is designed to take a different style of a hit and most important to me, is that it is not Nomex interior !!!!! Motorcycle is different.
As for people walking in the pits, if you walk in the pits like a wondering Gomer, then wonder in straight lines and be predictable. Seriously, be predictable.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: ZIPPY] #7511
12/09/03 01:32 PM
12/09/03 01:32 PM
Annapolis, MD, USA
V
Vert Offline
master
Vert  Offline
master
V

Annapolis, MD, USA
Great thread! I'm learning lots here.
Zippy, re your glasses fogging, any dive shop or ski shop shoud sell anti-fog for glasses. Good stuff. Come to think... optometrist shops may sell it.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: Vert] #7512
12/09/03 02:35 PM
12/09/03 02:35 PM
Almost Heaven
B_Body_Bob Offline
Master of nothing
B_Body_Bob  Offline
Master of nothing

Almost Heaven
Quote:

any dive shop or ski shop shoud sell anti-fog for glasses.

Often under the brand name "cat crap". No, I'm not kidding.

Proof

Last edited by B_Body_Bob; 12/09/03 02:40 PM.

Everybody makes fun of a hillbilly until they need something fixed
Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7513
12/09/03 07:10 PM
12/09/03 07:10 PM
Long Island, NY
B
B1Ken Offline
top fuel
B1Ken  Offline
top fuel
B

Long Island, NY
Quote:

Nothing worse than a couple of reds leaning over a Chivy Nova revving it to 8000 during the anthem.

I call this a Chevy "tune up". At our local track there's ALWAYS some maroon leaning over the engine snapping the throttle open right after they pull it out of the trailer. We have a real noise issue with the residential locals near this track and yet every Sunday these guys still have to wing the engine in the pits for no apparent reason other than to listen to their own noise. I've had guys do this right next to me in the pits, while I was leaning down to check tire pressure. Like to blow my f**kin' ear drums out! PISSES ME OFF!

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7514
12/09/03 07:47 PM
12/09/03 07:47 PM
Weatherford, Texas
RapidusMaximus Offline
top fuel
RapidusMaximus  Offline
top fuel

Weatherford, Texas
Checking the trans brake for operation in the staging lanes...no sh%t...actually saw a guy in the staging lanes do this at WOT..let go of the button and went into the car ahead of him plus about three others...police had to be called to control the near riot that broke out...incredible...

Last edited by RapidusMaximus; 12/09/03 07:49 PM.

1968 Plymouth GTX
1974 Dodge P/U Long Bed Stepside 318
2019 Ram 2500 6.4, auto, 4WD
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7515
12/09/03 07:51 PM
12/09/03 07:51 PM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
Quote:

Like to blow my f**kin' ear drums out!

Another good point. It may not be apparent when your 20 but exposure to engine noise like open headers will damage your hearing.

I keep a bunch of the soft disposable ear plugs around. I use them in the pits and on the track and throw them away when they get dirty. If you cut them short you can pull your helmet on without taking them out. They transmit enough sound so you can hear whats going on around you.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: MRMOPAR] #7516
12/09/03 11:16 PM
12/09/03 11:16 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

WHAATTT?? SPEAK UP!! Actually, yes, I already have permanent partial hearing loss due to (1) a bicycle tire inner tube exploding in my right ear (2) Playing in rock bands, and (3) hanging around loud race cars. It sucks. Wear ear protection!

440shorty

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7517
12/09/03 11:42 PM
12/09/03 11:42 PM
Hot Rod Ridge
FastmOp Offline
master
FastmOp  Offline
master

Hot Rod Ridge
I hate the Chevy tune up's too

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: FastmOp] #7518
12/10/03 10:41 AM
12/10/03 10:41 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

FASTMOP, that lil Valiant looked like an altered at first. That thing has stance !! Cool.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: 1BadLiLCharger] #7519
12/10/03 10:52 AM
12/10/03 10:52 AM
SE Nunya
Bubba Offline
master
Bubba  Offline
master

SE Nunya
Quote:

Listen very carefully and Ask questions to people like pat. They will not steer you in the wrong direction.
He was very helpful this year at the classic.......Thanks Pat..

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: Bubba] #7520
12/10/03 06:06 PM
12/10/03 06:06 PM
Taylor, Michigan
1BadLiLCharger Offline
top fuel
1BadLiLCharger  Offline
top fuel

Taylor, Michigan
Your welcome, Todd...always nice to help.

Hey, are you gonna make that a 10 second ride anytime soon?

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: 1BadLiLCharger] #7521
12/11/03 09:56 AM
12/11/03 09:56 AM
SE Nunya
Bubba Offline
master
Bubba  Offline
master

SE Nunya
Not too soon Pat,

I'll keep slummin' around in the 12's for awhile....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4