B
B1Ken Offline
top fuel
B1Ken  Offline
top fuel
B

Long Island, NY
Quote:

I feel that the CARS have the right of way over pedestrians. Guys may be coasting back to their spot to help speed cool down, and they don't want to hit the brakes as they would then need to re-fire the car. Also, they may be trying to get into the lanes quickly.

This is one of my pet peeves. Guys come FLYING through the pits or staging lanes with the engine shut off. My son almost got run over by Mark Dickerson at Cecil County one day. There IS a speed limit in the pits. My son said he didn't hear him coming and he must have been going 30 mph. I feel that people who do this should be thrown the f*ck out BEFORE they kill someone.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7478
11/27/03 09:35 PM
11/27/03 09:35 PM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
Anyone going 30 at our track will get a a$$ chewing from the owner.Not to smart but we have the ricers and they most of the time are not to smart. How old was your son?

If the MODS did their job I would not be hitting the notify MOD button. LOL
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B5 Bee] #7479
11/27/03 09:54 PM
11/27/03 09:54 PM
Walla Walla, WA
H
Hemi_Jack Offline
top fuel
Hemi_Jack  Offline
top fuel
H

Walla Walla, WA
SlantCecil, The turn off on that track is to the left that is why they specify for the left lane to turn off first. The main thing is never turn off in front of someone because you don't know how fast they might be going and if they could avoid you if you were to turn in front of them.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: slippery440] #7480
11/27/03 10:07 PM
11/27/03 10:07 PM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
At SIR we normally run at night and people who coast thru the pits with engines off, no lights, over that speed are idiots. If you hit someone you will quickly discover that the courts may not be sympathetic about your thinking you have the right of way because you are driving a race vehicle. 5 MPH in pits and return road is the rule here at SIR. That is to allow you to STOP if someone happens to wander into your path. At that speed you can probably not coast all the way to your pit location. Pedestrians in most states, and in AZ, have the right of way, not some smart a$$ in a race car. Further, the pits can be very crowded, and someone backing out of a space with the engine running may/can not hear or see you. Use a lot of caution.

Also the jerks that bring all their "quads, golf carts, and motorized bikes", and then let their kids and family cruze around the pits like it was their own race track. Personally if they outlawed all that stuff it would not bother me. At SIR the rule is that you have to be licensed to ride those things around anyway.

Pulling forward in the lanes with other cars, that depends. Here in Tucson the evening temps can exceed 100 degrees most nights. I DON'T start my engine and pull forward everytime the line moves. It is really no big deal if you don't do that. You are not going further than the front of the lane anyway until you are pulled out to the water box by the lane steward.

Most tracks require at least one rear light on the car after dark.

Staging depends on the track. We don't do courtesy staging here. Some tracks do, you should watch what the locals do. I like the autostart. It gets rid of the guys who like to screw around getting staged. I usually wait for the other lane to at least light the top bulb before staging the rest of the way.

68 RR 528" INDY MAXX 07 2500 CTD Southwest International Raceway - IHRA - Tucson, AZ
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: slippery440] #7481
11/27/03 10:26 PM
11/27/03 10:26 PM
Long Island, NY
B
B1Ken Offline
top fuel
B1Ken  Offline
top fuel
B

Long Island, NY
Quote:

Anyone going 30 at our track will get a a$$ chewing from the owner.Not to smart but we have the ricers and they most of the time are not to smart. How old was your son?

He's 28 now and he knows his way around the track and he's aware of his surroundings. He said Dickerson came within a few feet of him and he was just about to cross over the road when he went by. I've also seen this guy do this and I think it's time for me to give this guy a talking to. I almost got run over by someone on a motor scooter that had to be going 40 mph through the pits at Maple Grove. He came flying around a curve and I never saw him coming. Also kids drive quads and scooters through dirt pits stirring up all kinds of dust. If your working on your engine at the same time it can really piss you off!

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7482
11/27/03 10:37 PM
11/27/03 10:37 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
Quote:

Pulling forward in the lanes with other cars, that depends. Here in Tucson the evening temps can exceed 100 degrees most nights. I DON'T start my engine and pull forward everytime the line moves. It is really no big deal if you don't do that. You are not going further than the front of the lane anyway until you are pulled out to the water box by the lane steward.

I'm guilty of this, and will continue to do so. As Bill said, you can not go very far anyways. I'll wait at lest 5 car lengths, or move when someone waves me forward. Tearing up clutch discs, and heat in the motor, to go 5 feet is a waste.

Quote:

Staging depends on the track. We don't do courtesy staging here. Some tracks do, you should watch what the locals do. I like the autostart. It gets rid of the guys who like to screw around getting staged. I usually wait for the other lane to at least light the top bulb before staging the rest of the way.

Courtesy staging, should be done at EVERY track. I do like the auto start also.

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: slantzilla] #7483
11/27/03 11:26 PM
11/27/03 11:26 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
Quote:

The biggest thing would be to ask questions BEFORE going on track, or at least just watch the starting line for a while to see how things work.

Another big one is to make sure you know where the finish line and return road are so you can stop safely and get off track without crossing in front of the other car.

Read a rule book. Lots of good information in there.

It's up to us old-timers to help the newbies along, no matter hwat kind of vehicle they are driving. New blood is our future.

coming from a guy who hasn't had much time to go race I can say this is great advice,when I finally had time to go I went to the line and watched the guys stage,watched where the first yellow came on then the second,also watched when the lights came down and at what point the guys were taking off,then looked at the reaction to see who was doing it right,after watching for at least an hour I went and got my car,pulled right up as if I had been doing it for years and when the light came down pulled a .530 for my first ever light

Once I get done with this damned house I am going to get a car ready and start trying to go racing much more often,for the first time in many years I have a job where I have weekends off

who is that guy?
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7484
11/27/03 11:33 PM
11/27/03 11:33 PM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
You need to talk to the track owner.Ya those scooters are a pain in the a$$ here to.Like I said the tracks around here will not put up with that.Scares me after its dark and my car has few lights and little kids if not watched will run out into the pit roads.

If the MODS did their job I would not be hitting the notify MOD button. LOL
Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7485
11/28/03 12:36 AM
11/28/03 12:36 AM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Best bit of advice I can give, aside from all the other comments, is to make your first time racing at the track on a test and tune night. Usually the atmosphere is a little slower, no great rush to get everyone's time trial in before eliminations, not as many cars typically, and you can embarass yourself in front of fewer people in the stands. Get the bugs out of your car, and you, on test and tune nites. When you are ready and know the drill, try elimination day.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: Sixpak] #7486
11/28/03 12:58 AM
11/28/03 12:58 AM
Taylor, Michigan
1BadLiLCharger Offline
top fuel
1BadLiLCharger  Offline
top fuel

Taylor, Michigan
How about, take someone with you that knows their way around a dragway.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: JERICOGTX] #7487
11/28/03 12:59 AM
11/28/03 12:59 AM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
Quote:

Courtesy staging, should be done at EVERY track.

Jeff..

I agree with that, its just that unless the track enforces that it just doesn't happen. At some of the meets thats the rule and you are DQd if you fail to do so. I think that if Courtesy staging is in effect, the auto start should be on too.

Bill

68 RR 528" INDY MAXX 07 2500 CTD Southwest International Raceway - IHRA - Tucson, AZ
Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7488
11/28/03 01:09 AM
11/28/03 01:09 AM
Livermore, CA
D
Dduster Offline
mopar
Dduster  Offline
mopar
D

Livermore, CA
Here are some things to consider. First, find out which side of the track the turn-outs are located on, go down and familiarize yourself with them before you do any time shots, laps or race. Make sure that you do not cross over in front of the other car when you conclude the run. Let the car closest to the turnout get out first then follow. Second, please obey 'courtesy staging'and go in or follow to Stage in a timely fashion. Don't hang someone up getting your head screwed on, revving the motor, dry hops,...before the run: Be ready. Finally if you do not have slicks drive around the water box. Water dripped from street tires under a hard hitting car with slicks is never fun to experience after a solid launch. Like the other guys mentioned; go over your Starting Line sequence mentally in the car before you get up there. It will become habit but at first you are nervous and anxious. Be safe and have fun.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7489
11/28/03 03:41 AM
11/28/03 03:41 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

How about being carfull when your opening your doors in the staging lanes. Some of the lanes are quite narrow without much room to open your doors all the way. I have a nice little scratch and ding about the size of a quarter in my passenger door from someone in the Sportsman class flinging the door open into mine. Show some respect for others property. Also dont be leaning on someone elses car or hanging your head through the window.........cant tell you howmany times I have had someone leaning against my car when I come back from using the bathroom.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7490
11/28/03 08:35 AM
11/28/03 08:35 AM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Very good point, my drivers door needs some serious body work, one year the previous owner was at Norwalk, a tech guy opened the door on a windy day to tell him something, the door flies open and wedges itself into another car. Norwalk did nothing to pay for the damage.

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: Dduster] #7491
11/28/03 08:41 AM
11/28/03 08:41 AM
Swamps of South Jersey.
W
wildcargo Offline
master
wildcargo  Offline
master
W

Swamps of South Jersey.
I guess this is one of the things that ticks me off that a lot of people do is spin the hell out of street tires in the watter, which gets thrown up in to the wheel wells when you go to the line it drips down leaveing a trail of watter the next person goes through after doing there burn out. so when thay get to the line no hook just spin. this happens most times at the mopar events, old time drags, exct. becaus of the cars running street tires I know that thay are there to have fun so am I I like to kid around in the stageing lanes I dont get mad if I get beat Ill come over and shake your hand if you win and I can find you, but it ant no fun going up in smoke on the line

Bud www.wildcar-go.itgo.com
64 DODGE
60' 1.433,
1/8 6.38 at 107.4,
1/4 10.08 at 132.02
foot brake, leaf springs
Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: wildcargo] #7492
11/28/03 11:35 AM
11/28/03 11:35 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Every reply to this post is excellent info. I would like to copy and compress it into a document form for the tech archives, for the first timers, if that would be Ok and Tom would agree to that, unless he's already doing that.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7493
11/28/03 02:25 PM
11/28/03 02:25 PM
Mad River CA
F
fcminc Offline
super gas
fcminc  Offline
super gas
F

Mad River CA
As a tech inspector, I would like to add a couple things to some great advice. Have your tech card ready and filled out when you get to tech, we are not the pencil police. Second, walk the race track. i have seen racers go 200 mph and have never walked down the track. Show up early and take a look at the surface, bad spots, grass growing thru, sand. Most important, stay safe and have FUN!!! Jon

Re: Etiquette for drag racers #7494
11/28/03 02:55 PM
11/28/03 02:55 PM
Long Island, NY
B
B1Ken Offline
top fuel
B1Ken  Offline
top fuel
B

Long Island, NY
Here's one I haven't read here. DO NOT do your burnout with a car sitting on the starting line. Most times the guy in the water box will signal you, but sometimes there won't be anyone there. My son used to run the tree at the local track here on Long Island. The owner was too cheap to hire a water box guy, so my son had to be the policeman. Some guy did a burnout with the two cars still on the line. My son walked over to him and had him shut it off. He respectfully reminded the guy, who was an experienced racer, not to do that anymore. Needless to say, the guy was not apologetic. He resented my 23 year old son telling HIM how to behave. There was also a group of street racers there with a $hit box T-bird with a heavily sprayed BB Chev. in it. They gave him a HARD time when he was tech'ing their car. REALLY threatening! The first time down the track the car got out of shape and crossed over into the other lane. The A-Hole got back on it and continued the run in the wrong lane. When admonished for doing this (not kicked out mind you) he said "WTF are you talking about? I went straight down the track! The owner, as I said, was too cheap to hire any security and wuold never turn anybody's entrance fee down. I wasn't too happy that my son had to put up with this Bull$hit, I can tell you.

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: B1Ken] #7495
11/28/03 05:15 PM
11/28/03 05:15 PM
Westbury, NY
B
bumps440 Offline
super gas
bumps440  Offline
super gas
B

Westbury, NY
OHHHHHHH but now you hitting a soft spot with me........I can attest to the A.. hole owner of that track. which is why I willl NEVER < NEVER go back there,

Basically at this point in time , the track is not sanctioned by anybody and the owner, as ken said just likes to take in money and most of the "clientell" are street racers, that blow up their JUNK all over the track . and of course the owner doesnt have any good way to clean it up SO .....DAY OVER< go home

SORRY I didnt want to get started on that guy . So I drive twice as far to race at MUCH better tracks on the MAINLAND... LOL

Re: Etiquette for drag racers [Re: 1BadLiLCharger] #7496
11/28/03 08:27 PM
11/28/03 08:27 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

How about, take someone with you that knows their way around a dragway.

Like 1 Bad said, this is one of the best things
you can do, because you cant remember all of the
stuff the first time out, take someone that has
done it before(hopefully a feeeww times), he can
help with tires, refueling and checking your
coolant over flow bottle and other things, YOU
as a beginner just cant remember ALL of it, have
fun and ALWAYS be SAFE

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4