07/06/10 07:57 AM
07/06/10 07:57 AM
Baton Rouge, La.
StandOnIt Offline OP
super stock
StandOnIt  Offline OP
super stock

Baton Rouge, La.
Has anyone tried to swap in an F body complete K member into an older A body for the disc brake upgrade and torsion bar clearance so you can run any header? Does anyone know if the bolt holes match up from A to F bodies? I have seen alot of people use the F body K's to build other streetrods like old Ford pickups and such. Just wondering if it would bolt in a Dart without too much fabrication. Thanks everyone.

76' Volare, 5.9 magnum w/Iron heads. New best 10.68 at 123 mph 1/4 mile.
Re: K Member Swap [Re: StandOnIt] #741452
07/06/10 10:27 PM
07/06/10 10:27 PM
NEW JERSEY
D
dynamite Offline
pro stock
dynamite  Offline
pro stock
D

NEW JERSEY
I did that F body K frame swap into my 56 plymouth,,was fairly easy and worked great..rides nice and with the disc brakes it stops great also..headers were a problem , but are ok now ..

Re: K Member Swap [Re: StandOnIt] #741453
07/08/10 01:49 AM
07/08/10 01:49 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Pull out a tape measure and see for yourself. I think that even if the width is close, there are far more drawbacks to this swap than advantages. The bent bar conversion was only poplular because it was a self contained structure. The design moved weight forward more than any A body setup, and Police spec models had alignment problems. The "clearance" gained by moving the torsion bars cost you in other ways. Sure, with some moderate skills, you may be able to adapt it to fit. The hard part might be figuring out how to attach the later "cradle" to A body frame rails. If you are off by even a small amount, the motor will be too far forward or to the rear.Now the trans mount wont line up.
I like fabricating and using junkyard tech whenever I can, but there may be a reason that few people have ever tried this "improvement".

Re: K Member Swap [Re: Kern Dog] #741454
07/08/10 07:55 AM
07/08/10 07:55 AM
Baton Rouge, La.
StandOnIt Offline OP
super stock
StandOnIt  Offline OP
super stock

Baton Rouge, La.
Quote:

Pull out a tape measure and see for yourself. I think that even if the width is close, there are far more drawbacks to this swap than advantages. The bent bar conversion was only poplular because it was a self contained structure. The design moved weight forward more than any A body setup, and Police spec models had alignment problems. The "clearance" gained by moving the torsion bars cost you in other ways. Sure, with some moderate skills, you may be able to adapt it to fit. The hard part might be figuring out how to attach the later "cradle" to A body frame rails. If you are off by even a small amount, the motor will be too far forward or to the rear.Now the trans mount wont line up.
I like fabricating and using junkyard tech whenever I can, but there may be a reason that few people have ever tried this "improvement".

I have the F bodies and a guy I know just bought a dart with drum brakes and wants the disc brake setup from the F body. I was just wondering if the whole K member could be just thrown in there. I'm not sure what he will do with the car, race or driver. If he will race it, I would push him to just do the brake thing since it took me alot of thinking and work to make the F body K member start to work on the no-electronics car (making it leave nice). If he will just drive it and the K will just bolt in, easier job. I heard that the disc brakes will just transfer over to the A body nicely tho.

76' Volare, 5.9 magnum w/Iron heads. New best 10.68 at 123 mph 1/4 mile.