07/05/10 11:32 PM
07/05/10 11:32 PM
WA 98043
thecarfarmer Offline OP
super stock
thecarfarmer  Offline OP
super stock

WA 98043
Hey all, my friend Jon is building a 440; asked me a question that I thought I'd put out for the engine builders out there.

He's thinking of cutting a hole in the web between the L and R bank lifter bores at the rear of the block to provide a place for oil to drain that gets piled up there under acceleration.

Engine in question is stock stroke, steel rod 440; probably run around 6K RPM, baffled stock pan w/ windage tray.

My personal opinion is that he won't collect more than several ounces in that area under acceleration, and that it won't really make much difference. However, I like the idea of some small holes in the webbing at the bottom of the lifter valley, to allow oil to driop on ALL the cam lobes (Jon's going to start with a hydraulic flat tappet; may or may not ever upgrade from that).

Have guys ever got into trouble cutting in this area on an OE block?

Anybody got any suggestions?

-Bill

Seduce the attractive, and charm the rest. ****** 489 C.I.D., roller cam, aftermarket heads, tunnel ram, stock '54 Dodge rear axle assembly: which of these doesn't belong?
Re: B/RB block oil drainback question. [Re: thecarfarmer] #741307
07/05/10 11:58 PM
07/05/10 11:58 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I use to drill holes in all of the low spots in the lifter valley, finally realized that was allowing the oil to drip down onto the crankshaft and rods, not so good. Better idea is to fill the holes bewtween banks and let it drain at the rear or front when acceleratiing or stopping. tell him to go ahead and drill the holes at the very rear of the block by the cam plug area Make sure it has a big enough oil pan to not allow all of the oil to be upstairs when driving or racing it

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: B/RB block oil drainback question. [Re: Cab_Burge] #741308
07/06/10 02:21 AM
07/06/10 02:21 AM
WA 98043
thecarfarmer Offline OP
super stock
thecarfarmer  Offline OP
super stock

WA 98043
Hey Cab, yeah, I was thinking about the windage thing, too... in fact, a buddy of mine locally recommends putting a baffle under the cam (space permitting w/ some engines) to keep the "cam drippings" off of the crank.

I'll have to ask Jon what he plans to do for a pan; probably just a deepened stocker.

BTW, got the truck running that you sold me the roller cam for... runs a little healthier than the '00 Crown Vic I'd been rolling around in.

-Bill

Seduce the attractive, and charm the rest. ****** 489 C.I.D., roller cam, aftermarket heads, tunnel ram, stock '54 Dodge rear axle assembly: which of these doesn't belong?