06/18/10 01:19 PM
06/18/10 01:19 PM
SRQ, FL
8valves Offline
8valves  Offline

SRQ, FL
Quote:

It's all over my head.....
I'm just going to put a bigger spring in the wastegate and let it ruin all of my velocity while I keep my volume the same but increase the pressure.

Velocity. We don' need no stinking velocity. We gots boostage!

Funny, but lots of people would be far better off if they ignored math that may or may not be fully understood and go with that method!

Aaron M
Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: furious70] #721178
06/18/10 01:26 PM
06/18/10 01:26 PM
SRQ, FL
8valves Offline
8valves  Offline

SRQ, FL
Quote:

Quote:

Haha! No, not needed at all, but I will certainly try to make it simpler yet for you.

That's how a boosted engine makes power. That's why I've put together several 122 CID setups that make more power than your car, or any of mine for that matter. The cylinder pressure increases exponentially, yet the 1200 HP 122 CID motor is still moving X CFM, just like the 1200 HP 500 CID motor. Same CFM. Just a different pressure to get it.

Once more: CFM is a measurement of volume. It IS DIRECTLY effected by pressure.

This still has nothing to do with your original post/question, but I figure someone ought to stand up in a thread where people are discussing calculating airflow velocity theories and ideas, when this basic principal was jumped right over.

I'm not sure why anyone coming across as a self appointed turbo expert would be talking in terms of volume instead of mass???
Quote:

Once more: CFM is a measurement of volume. It IS DIRECTLY effected by pressure.

While not untrue, this is a very confusing statement to make as the formula for cfm has no ability to describe this effect.

lbs/min makes a lot more sense than cfm to me when trying to accurately describe the air being consumed by an engine with a turbo on it. I would like to see your math laid out that shows the 2 engines you describe above consume the same cfm (in order to do so I believe you are going to have to make a whole host of assumptions- the very crux of the problem here- trying to use a unit of volume measure when a unit of mass measure is required)

Does an engine use mass efficiency, or volumetric efficiency?

As I said above half kidding, if people thought outside of the math that can become quite overwhelming they often get alogn pretty well just on logic alone.

But, here.

V(cu.ft./min) = n(lbs/min) x 10.73 x T(deg R)/(29 x P(psia))

That is why I'm speaking in CFM. Because it's a function of lb/min. I was trying to make this as simple as possible. Since most engine builds calculate in CFM (head flow, for instance) instead of turbo guys calculating compressor flow in lb/min.

Furthermore, Feets, if math is all we're going to argue with here then the proof is there for you. Pressure is directly involved in the equation to find volume.

What more can I offer?

I'm not getting riled or mad or anything, just trying to point out some things since people around here respect your opinion and look to it as truth. To make the statement "pressure has NOTHING to do with volume" is wrong, however you want to argue it.

This isn't a d*ck measuring contest either. The small engine comparison was for demonstration purposes. No braggign needed, I'm not looking for a pick-me-up. If anything this should be a good read for some.

And as a final note to ponder, lets make this very simple, once more.

A throttle body flows 600 CFM at 28" depression on a flowbench. Does it change how much it flows if it is done at 10" depression. How about 10 psi? 30?

Aaron M
Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: 8valves] #721179
06/18/10 01:45 PM
06/18/10 01:45 PM
Motor City
S
Shaker223 Offline
enthusiast
Shaker223  Offline
enthusiast
S

Motor City
Quote:

Quote:

It's all over my head.....
I'm just going to put a bigger spring in the wastegate and let it ruin all of my velocity while I keep my volume the same but increase the pressure.

Velocity. We don' need no stinking velocity. We gots boostage!

Funny, but lots of people would be far better off if they ignored math that may or may not be fully understood and go with that method!

That's the way I think!!

Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: Shaker223] #721180
06/18/10 03:09 PM
06/18/10 03:09 PM
north cakalaky
I
instigator Offline
super stock
instigator  Offline
super stock
I

north cakalaky
CFM don't mean squat..throw an A or an S before it and then we may be able to help out.....

65 Barracuda
All aluminum Indy HEMI with some boost!
COMING TO A TRACK NEAR YOU!

Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: instigator] #721181
06/18/10 03:23 PM
06/18/10 03:23 PM
SRQ, FL
8valves Offline
8valves  Offline

SRQ, FL
Should I ask what correction, smoothing, and dyno type your sig is based off of as well, then?

Oh, and let's move to measuring in psia too!

PS- Badass car, looking forward to seeing how the new setup responds. I would think quite well.

Aaron M
Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: 8valves] #721182
06/18/10 03:35 PM
06/18/10 03:35 PM
north cakalaky
I
instigator Offline
super stock
instigator  Offline
super stock
I

north cakalaky
Don't remember the details..was a dynojet....whatever it was it was enough to go 128mph in the 1/8th at 3500lbs!...

will the friction loss stay the same with a proportional increas of mass due to a proportional increase of pressure as long as temp stays the same????this is the question.

65 Barracuda
All aluminum Indy HEMI with some boost!
COMING TO A TRACK NEAR YOU!

Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: 8valves] #721183
06/18/10 03:56 PM
06/18/10 03:56 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

A throttle body flows 600 CFM at 28" depression on a flowbench. Does it change how much it flows if it is done at 10" depression. How about 10 psi? 30?

A pressure differential across a restriction will increase flow rates.

If a throttle body is fed pressure at 10 psi on a flow bench it isn't seeing pressure under it, assuming my impression is correct.

An intake manifold is different than a flow bench. The flow bench sucks the air out and it's out of the equation after it passes the blades and get measured.

In a boosted engine, you have pressure above and below the throttle body. The throttle body is still a restriction.

Assume the there is 12 psi above the throttle and 10 psi in the manifold. The throttle body can't flow enough cfm to accomodate the full capacity of the induction system. This results in a 2 psi restriction.

Is that going to be different than pushing air on top of the throttle body at 2 psi and having no pressure in the intake manifold? Will the rate of flow be significantly different?

I haven't got a clue. I never played with a flow bench.

If the flow rate (cfm) of the throttle body is the same at 10 psi as it is at 40 psi the same volume of air will pass in the same amout of time. The thing that changes is the mass of air that has moved.

Gaseous compression is a fickle mistress. You have to make sure you maintain the same unit of measure. Mass and volume are two totally different measurements.

I would hate to see the pressure (and resulting temperature) required to compress air into a near solid form.

Saying pressure and volume had nothing to do with one another was a little too generic. When dealing with the typical street engine induction system the differences between absolute flow rates should be negligible.

This discussion started by talking about the velocity of air moving between a turbo and an intake manifold.

Naturally, a tiny throttle body will kill performance and create a nightmare of turbulence.
I seriously doubt that I'll be able to get a higher flowing thottle body for my application so that's a fixed restriction.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: instigator] #721184
06/18/10 04:04 PM
06/18/10 04:04 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

will the friction loss stay the same with a proportional increas of mass due to a proportional increase of pressure as long as temp stays the same????this is the question.

When you cool the compressed air don't you lower the pressure? If you can cool a higher pressure to the same temperature you're making good improvements. I think friction would still increase due to the increased mass.
Considering the pressures we are dealing with I doubt the increase in friction will be significant.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: feets] #721185
06/18/10 06:40 PM
06/18/10 06:40 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Technical shmechnical.
My main point was to enlighten people to the fact that a turbo or supercharger does not have a positive effect (more speed) on velocity.
I always think about an imaginary dyno room, where the atmosphere is 100% under my control. I could remove the throttle plate on the engine, and control idle speed by (my word) "de-densification", or max power by pressalizin.
Think about what a throttle plate actually does. It changes the density in the manifold.
An engine ran in my fantasy dyno room would have a very similar torque CURVE at all levels of pressure(including vacuum) just at different levels. This would indicate similar air speeds through the engine at similar rpms.
Go ahead beat me up for living in a fantasy world

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: TRENDZ] #721186
06/18/10 09:31 PM
06/18/10 09:31 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline OP
Senior Management
feets  Offline OP
Senior Management

Irving, TX
My original question was about air velocity between the turbo and engine. The size of the intake tube will determine velocity. Is there a point where the air is moving too fast?

We kinda got sidetracked on semantics.

- Stu Harmon
Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: feets] #721187
06/19/10 12:20 AM
06/19/10 12:20 AM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
I guess one of the "non-math" but experience based question/answer would be: What if anything changes by going to larger or smaller boost tube from the blower or turbo to the intercooler then airhat. Quicker response? Loss of response? Temperature/density change? What does changing this do positively or negatively?

Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: feets] #721188
06/19/10 08:25 AM
06/19/10 08:25 AM
IL
furious70 Offline
top fuel
furious70  Offline
top fuel

IL
Quote:

My original question was about air velocity between the turbo and engine. The size of the intake tube will determine velocity. Is there a point where the air is moving too fast?

My copy is buried somewhere in our den, but Corky directly addresses this with some guidelines in Max Boost, no?

70 Sport Fury
68 Charger
69 Coronet
72 RR
Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: feets] #721189
06/21/10 06:56 AM
06/21/10 06:56 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Online content
Still wishing...
Twostick  Online Content
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

According to a friend of mine who is way smarter about this stuff than I am, and if I understand him correctly, once it goes supersonic, flow will stall, that is it wont flow anymore CFM no matter what pressure is behind it.

I think a turbo map (hieroglyphics to me ) kind of explains that theory ie once the compressor wheel reaches a certain speed efficiency drops off a cliff. I'm pretty sure that speed equals or approaches supersonic. Or not .

Kevin

Re: post turbo air velocity? [Re: instigator] #721190
06/21/10 12:04 PM
06/21/10 12:04 PM
Summit, NJ
W
whiplash Offline
master
whiplash  Offline
master
W

Summit, NJ
Quote:

CFM don't mean squat..throw an A or an S before it and then we may be able to help out.....

Absolutely correct....

CFM is NOT a measure of Volume. It is a measure of FLOW....

This whole post is riddled with gray areas of physics.

It would be a lot easier if we all talked in terms of Mass flow. That's what auto engineers do. It takes a lot of the CFM SCFM ACFM PSI PSIG PSIA BS out of the equation. CFM is only "so" imporatnt because most people can't get their heads around grams/sec or lb/hour.

• 67 coronet 4dr, 383/727/GVOD, blown, EFI, daily driver
  • 230/238, 114°LSA cam, 1.6 rollers, 9:1 comp, 8 psi boost
  • NEW BEST ET - 12.40@110mph...
Page 2 of 2 1 2