06/10/10 02:44 PM
06/10/10 02:44 PM
garden grove, CA
J
justchillin562 Offline OP
justchillin562  Offline OP
J

garden grove, CA
first i would like to say that im new to moparts and to the classic car scene... i would like to say that id just purchase a 1950 dodge coronet gyromatic trans... and would like to know what kind of motor swap can i do to the car without modifying any engine brackets just to make fit.. i want a straight swap... i herd that you can swap out to a small block hemi... but would that do any good...as you all know the coronet is very very slow... obviously its a cruiser car.. but i would like to make it go at least past 70mph at times... and where can i get upgraded suspensions... cos i feel like im driving a big o boat on the street....hahaha... but please if you guys out there can help me out and give me some suggestions or links to where i can get these that would be nice.... thank you all and hope to hear from yallz... i live here in orange county california... so any place here close would be nice... thanks again

Re: hey guys i need help [Re: justchillin562] #720617
06/10/10 09:54 PM
06/10/10 09:54 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Welcome to Moparts.

You will find, nearly anything you might ever want to do with your car has been covered here before. For all practical purposes, almost all info you find covering any Mopar between 38 or 39 and 54 will be able to be applied to your car. There is a bunch of info on here covering the 46-48 cars, most of that info applies to your car.

The flathead 6 was a good reliable motor. It can be upgraded to increase the power output, as long as its in good shape. Splitting the exhaust manifold and adding a second exhaust exit to make your exhaust into dual exhaust helps a lot. You can also split the intake manifold and add a second carb.

Probably your biggest problem from a performance stand point is the transmission, its killing your performance. Installing a same vintage standard shift 3 speed or a vintage standard shift over drive (if you can find one) would make a huge improvement, and with the correct pieces it should all bolt up. I would presume a modern automatic transmission can be adapted to your motor, but I wouldn't know who or where such adapters can be found. A modern rear axle with more road friendly gears (your car likely has a 3:90 something gear in it) Gearing in the 3:23 range would get you up to highway speeds, but those gears are not available for your rear axle. The rear axle exchange would make working on the brakes a lot easier as well. 66-70 B body rear axles are a very close bolt in fit.

The front suspension on your car is the same basic setup that was used from the late 30 through the mid 50s. Look for information about 46-48 Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler suspension here on Moparts, there is as ton of info covering these years and that info will apply to your car as well. The single biggest improvement in the handling on your car is to relocating the front upper shock mount. That single thing makes a day and night difference in the ride and handling. There is a "kit" available that needs to be welded onto your frame, but its a pretty simple procedure, and would be worth the investment of paying someone to do it.

You can get a disc brake conversion for your car that really improves the brakes too.

Disc brakes, split intake and split exhaust manifolds at www.rustyhope.com I think he may have the shock relocation kit as well. I'm sure others will step up with some more web sites. Gene

Re: hey guys i need help [Re: poorboy] #720618
06/10/10 10:18 PM
06/10/10 10:18 PM
Amherst , Ohio
1972cudaguy Offline
Basement Office
1972cudaguy  Offline
Basement Office

Amherst , Ohio
try here also : http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/28-55MoparParts.html

welcome to the board !

Re: hey guys i need help [Re: poorboy] #720619
06/10/10 11:00 PM
06/10/10 11:00 PM
garden grove, CA
J
J

garden grove, CA
thank you very much... im still new to the scene so i understand very little of what youre saying... but will do some research... thank you so so much for your advice,....

Re: hey guys i need help [Re: 1972cudaguy] #720620
06/10/10 11:02 PM
06/10/10 11:02 PM
garden grove, CA
J
J

garden grove, CA
wow cool stuff.... got lots of great things... i do plan on lowering it... thank you