05/21/10 10:47 AM
05/21/10 10:47 AM
minnesota
Kirby Offline OP
pro stock
Kirby  Offline OP
pro stock

minnesota
I'm still trying to get my Cuda' done for Mopars in the Park June 5th. I have it mobile now, and brought it down to a old school alignment guy. I didn't want some 19 YO tech working on my car. So I bring it in to this guy who's been doing alignments for 40 years. He looks it over for a couple hours, and tells me to come get it out of his shop. He feels that what I've done as far as adding the Hotchkiss uppers, has made my car dangerous! He claims that the way they've used the relocating boxes, without being welded in, will allow them to move around, and not hold an alignment, as well as putting too much pressure on the sheet metal, and the inner fender, andthat the frame will fail. This he feels is due also to the heim joints vs. the rubber bushed originals. He is an old school dude, and may have felt he just didn't want to deal with it- but he knows his stuff too-so he's making me nervous. He also said that to properly align it would require the removal and adjustment of the uppers so many times, that it would take forever. What are your thoughts? Anyone have these in? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm calling Hotchkiss once their open. I'm going crazy trying to get it done in time-----

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: Kirby] #704173
05/21/10 11:10 AM
05/21/10 11:10 AM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
I think the guy is so old-school that he doesn't trust anything new. I put adjustable uppers on my son's Barracuda. The alignment was very simple. I started with the recommended initial setup and the cams centered. I checked the alignment and found that I needed to lengthen the arms a little. After doing that I was able to get about 4 degrees positive caster with a slight negative camber.

With that said, I have no idea what the "relocating boxes" are or how these were installed.

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #704174
05/21/10 11:30 AM
05/21/10 11:30 AM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
Dodge B & E Body Geometry Corrected Tubular Upper A-Arms

Description:

Dramatically improve the cornering performance, traction, and steering response of your Dodge, with Hotchkis Sport Suspension Tubular A-Arms. Specifically designed to correct the excessive caster gain, and create the proper negative camber curve, this kit features a Hotchkis exclusive Laser Cut,Pick Up Point Relocation Bracket, and TIG Welded Light Weight A-Arms which are fully gusseted for strength and feature High Articulation Rod Ends for maximum adjustability. Finished off with high quality ball joints and a lustrous, "nickel look" powder coated Finish, blending form and function.

Features:

TIG Welded, Lightweight, 1 1/8" Tubing with laser cut reinforcement gussets.
High Quality, 5/8" High Articulation Rod Ends, and Ball Joints installed.
Laser Cut, CNC Bent Bolt In Relocation Bracket corrects excessive caster gain.
Lustrous, "Nickel Look" Powder Coated Finish.

Benefits:

Dramatically improves traction and steering response.
Lightweight Tubular A-Arms improve camber curve.
Laser Cut, Pick Up Point Relocation Bracket corrects excessive caster gain.
Reduced Bump Steer
Bolt In Installation

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #704175
05/21/10 11:59 AM
05/21/10 11:59 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

With that said, I have no idea what the "relocating boxes" are or how these were installed.

They've been driving a beating the heck out of their yellow T/A on the track and off. There's customer's cars that have run those for some time. Click the vids with Mopars that all have those A-arms http://www.youtube.com/user/hotchkis1#p/u

The "box" just relocates the front upper a-arm pivot to reduce the bump steer and caster changes.

The instructions have a ton of pictures and explain it pretty good: http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_files/1110instructions158file.pdf

Here's a picture of someone installing them out on a track.

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: Kirby] #704176
05/21/10 12:12 PM
05/21/10 12:12 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I'm still trying to get my Cuda' done for Mopars in the Park June 5th. I have it mobile now, and brought it down to a old school alignment guy. I didn't want some 19 YO tech working on my car. So I bring it in to this guy who's been doing alignments for 40 years. He looks it over for a couple hours, and tells me to come get it out of his shop. He feels that what I've done as far as adding the Hotchkiss uppers, has made my car dangerous! He claims that the way they've used the relocating boxes, without being welded in, will allow them to move around, and not hold an alignment, as well as putting too much pressure on the sheet metal, and the inner fender, andthat the frame will fail. This he feels is due also to the heim joints vs. the rubber bushed originals. He is an old school dude, and may have felt he just didn't want to deal with it- but he knows his stuff too-so he's making me nervous. He also said that to properly align it would require the removal and adjustment of the uppers so many times, that it would take forever. What are your thoughts? Anyone have these in? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm calling Hotchkiss once their open. I'm going crazy trying to get it done in time-----

The relocating bracket is still bolted to the adjuster cams. The frame there is the same frame that holds the factory upper control arms mounts. And they way the relocator is situated, it has less leverage than the factory mount. It's actually triangulated in there.

For the alignment the technician can still use the rear cams for fine adjustment. The heims will get you in the ballpark.

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: autoxcuda] #704177
05/21/10 12:38 PM
05/21/10 12:38 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
This seems like a pretty impressive alignment guy familar with aftermarket stuff in Bloomington MN: http://www.thealignmentguy.com/album.htm

Might reseach this one too.
http://www.hooverwheelalignment.com/

The best thing is to find out where all the local autocross guys get there alignments done at. That will be a shop that is not bothered by custom stuff and treats the cars with care.

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: autoxcuda] #704178
05/21/10 04:17 PM
05/21/10 04:17 PM
minnesota
Kirby Offline OP
pro stock
Kirby  Offline OP
pro stock

minnesota
I talked to Hotchkiss (Drew) and he convinced me that my guy is just too "old school" to want to deal with it. Thanks for the input! I'm going to another shop with a bigger set of kahoonies!

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: Kirby] #704179
05/21/10 05:44 PM
05/21/10 05:44 PM
dracut mass usa
S
sparcy Offline
enthusiast
sparcy  Offline
enthusiast
S

dracut mass usa
my car was alined last month at a shop that all they do is alighnments and they race a bush north car he sad he worked on it most of the day and it was alot of work but its all set . cost me 260.00 dollars . so far so good still working on all the little stuff but the car handles as good as my daily 2007 magnum just alot louder time for hush thrush mufflers .

IF YOU ARE NOT WRECKING STUFF YOU ARE NOT LEARNING !
Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: sparcy] #704180
05/21/10 05:58 PM
05/21/10 05:58 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Quote:

my car was alined last month at a shop that all they do is alighnments and they race a bush north car he sad he worked on it most of the day and it was alot of work but its all set . cost me 260.00 dollars . so far so good still working on all the little stuff but the car handles as good as my daily 2007 magnum just alot louder time for hush thrush mufflers .

I'm sorry, that would offend me A LOT. It doesn't take a good alignment guy that long to get one of these right. I had one shop want to charge me double because their guy wasn't familiar with Chrysler suspensions. As I walked out I told him that I was NOT paying to train his employee. Now, if you needed some parts replaced that's another story, but I can get one set right in about an hour on my floor with my $40 gauge. It would be faster on an alignment rack.

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: Kirby] #704181
05/21/10 07:03 PM
05/21/10 07:03 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
I hope these arms don't have any problems. They're next on my list of improvements. I was this close >< to buying them at the Spring Fling, but I couldn't get my questions answered. I just need to know if they will improve my current setup.

Are there any other people here who would benefit from a "performance clinic" event or service, where your car could be assessed and the correct parts recommended? Maybe if we got enough people, with money in hand & interested, it would be worthwhile for the manufacturer(s) to host.

Jim

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #704182
05/21/10 07:51 PM
05/21/10 07:51 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Are there any other people here who would benefit from a "performance clinic" event or service, where your car could be assessed and the correct parts recommended? Maybe if we got enough people, with money in hand & interested, it would be worthwhile for the manufacturer(s) to host.

Jim

Hotchkis had a Mopar open house last summer: http://www.hotchkis.net/press_release.html?ID=25

Man I never read that, I got noted for asking so many questions.

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #704183
05/21/10 08:00 PM
05/21/10 08:00 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Jim

Interesting concept though. But at Spring Fling we try to get all those manufactures and services out there.

Is it you are looking for a one to one hands on analysis? You are asking the questions while you are doing a walk through with your car? Or maybe a test drive is involved?

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: autoxcuda] #704184
05/21/10 09:05 PM
05/21/10 09:05 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Jim

Interesting concept though. But at Spring Fling we try to get all those manufactures and services out there.

Is it you are looking for a one to one hands on analysis? You are asking the questions while you are doing a walk through with your car? Or maybe a test drive is involved?

I remember hearing about the Hotchkis event last year. I was hoping they'd do another this year.

What would be ideal (for me) would be I bring my car to the manufacturer. They examine it and/or test drive it, and then provide an educated assessment of the parts/mods the car would benefit from. If it was not an event, but a service, I'd be happy to pay for the service.

I have some specific issues I'm trying to hammer out on my car, but throwing parts at it is a little bit like shooting in the dark. If a knowledgeable person were to drive my car and give me their opinion, that would be extremely valuable.

I had assumed (incorrectly) that Hotchkis would have a big warehouse/garage where you could pull a car in and have them work it over with all their parts, ala XV. I even asked XV if they had partnered with anyone in the LA area where I could drop off my car, write a check, and have a new Level II suspension installed. The answer was no.

I'm in a (fortunate) position right now of having cash to spend and a need for work, but I can't seem to find the right service provider.

Jim

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #704185
05/21/10 11:04 PM
05/21/10 11:04 PM
Seattle, WA
375inStroke Offline
Special needs person
375inStroke  Offline
Special needs person

Seattle, WA
So how does this affect our suspension geometry, and how does it help handling? I believe the angle of the upper control arm attach points is to increase anti-dive. It's not a big deal to reduce that? It looks like there is still some there, so perhaps the original engineers were concerned about other factors, which I could totally understand, since they made undersprung cars for people that didn't want to drop their cigarette ashes when they hit a pot hole. As one enters a turn, the outside wheel moves up, the upper control arm moves up, and back, increasing caster. That causes that wheel to camber negatively more than if it kept the same camber. Problem is that the exact opposite is happening to the inside wheel. That wheel is moving down, the caster is changing towards the negative, and that causes the camber to move towards the positive. Perhaps it would be better if the static positive caster was greater, and the dynamic caster change less. I'd rather do this by modifying the attach points themselves, but that would change the angle of the upper ball joint in relationship to the spindle, but since the upper control arm isn't moving back as much, the angle would still be in the normal range.

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: 375inStroke] #704186
05/21/10 11:43 PM
05/21/10 11:43 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

So how does this affect our suspension geometry, and how does it help handling? I believe the angle of the upper control arm attach points is to increase anti-dive. It's not a big deal to reduce that? It looks like there is still some there, so perhaps the original engineers were concerned about other factors, which I could totally understand, since they made undersprung cars for people that didn't want to drop their cigarette ashes when they hit a pot hole. As one enters a turn, the outside wheel moves up, the upper control arm moves up, and back, increasing caster. That causes that wheel to camber negatively more than if it kept the same camber. Problem is that the exact opposite is happening to the inside wheel. That wheel is moving down, the caster is changing towards the negative, and that causes the camber to move towards the positive. Perhaps it would be better if the static positive caster was greater, and the dynamic caster change less. I'd rather do this by modifying the attach points themselves, but that would change the angle of the upper ball joint in relationship to the spindle, but since the upper control arm isn't moving back as much, the angle would still be in the normal range.

Yes, it's a bump steer issue. Because the upper control arm has so much anti dive it creates caster change while traveling up and down. That caster change moves the tie rod position relative to the car and as a final result make bump steer.

Tough to explain, but here is a video that shows what is going on with measurements. Hotchkis Bump Steer Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzxPWrdPlt0&feature=player_embedded

Also they have a real good Mopar FAQ located on their web page here I just spotted: http://www.hotchkis.net//mopar_b_e_body_faq.html

That anti dive isn't a total bad thing. We run some in our circle track race cars. And most racing sedans do. The factory runs so much because that same geometry is used in some heavy 71 Satelite Custom Station Wagon that runs a soft suspension that can run loaded with 9 passengers, a car top carrier, and towing a camper.

Read: Brady Bunch Grand Canyon Trip!. When that wagon full of Brady's slams on the brake that front end is going to go from sky high to the k-member almost kissing the pavement. The factory is trying to keep wagon from pitching forward so fast it tosses Cindy Brady out the back window!

Does this look like your Challenger/Cuda/Road Runner? It's got the same front end geometry though...

Would you agree that Satelite Wagon is being used a little different manner than this Challenger?

Last edited by autoxcuda; 05/21/10 11:58 PM.
Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #704187
05/22/10 02:23 AM
05/22/10 02:23 AM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jim

I remember hearing about the Hotchkis event last year. I was hoping they'd do another this year.

What would be ideal (for me) would be I bring my car to the manufacturer. They examine it and/or test drive it, and then provide an educated assessment of the parts/mods the car would benefit from. If it was not an event, but a service, I'd be happy to pay for the service.

I have some specific issues I'm trying to hammer out on my car, but throwing parts at it is a little bit like shooting in the dark. If a knowledgeable person were to drive my car and give me their opinion, that would be extremely valuable.

I had assumed (incorrectly) that Hotchkis would have a big warehouse/garage where you could pull a car in and have them work it over with all their parts, ala XV. I even asked XV if they had partnered with anyone in the LA area where I could drop off my car, write a check, and have a new Level II suspension installed. The answer was no.

I'm in a (fortunate) position right now of having cash to spend and a need for work, but I can't seem to find the right service provider.

Jim

Any competent performance shop should be able to install the XV, an AlterKtion, or the Hotchkiss stuff. None of it is rocket science and the engineering is already done (if you were closer I'd do it and I don't have a shop, but I am confident enough in my abilities to get it done and done right). The thing about the three systems I mentioned is that, unlike their other competition, their stuff has the reputation of fitting right the first time.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #704188
05/22/10 03:37 PM
05/22/10 03:37 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

Any competent performance shop should be able to install the XV, an AlterKtion, or the Hotchkiss stuff. None of it is rocket science and the engineering is already done (if you were closer I'd do it and I don't have a shop, but I am confident enough in my abilities to get it done and done right). The thing about the three systems I mentioned is that, unlike their other competition, their stuff has the reputation of fitting right the first time.

What are you trying to accomplish?

I haven't found the right shop, then. I'e worked with a bunch of places in LA, but the ones that know the older Mopars typically do engine work, and the ones that do autocross and oval track cater to Porsche and BMW people.

Diagnosing and solving suspension and chassis issues on older Mopars (or muscle cars in general) seems to be such a narrow speciality. I just don't know of a place that can do what I need.

Jim

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #704189
05/22/10 03:59 PM
05/22/10 03:59 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
There are several shops in the Portland, OR area that would do that type of work so I'm sure there must be at least a few shops in the LA area.

I know a couple of shops around here that specialize in muscle car performance upgrades. They do a lot of GM and Ford stuff of course but if a Mopar rolls in the door they don't turn them away.

Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: autoxcuda] #704190
05/22/10 04:58 PM
05/22/10 04:58 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
I have these on my car and have a couple gas tankful of runs with them...

For the most part they are great. A little pain in the butt to remove the arm every time you need to make a change, but at least you can do it.

90% of the time you never feel that you have rod end up there, but sometimes if you hit something right, it feels like you did not have a tire when you hit a bump. It is that solid.

Until Steve mention the lack of anti dive, I did not realize that that may be what cause my oil pan to hit while doing a dry hop after a burn out. Boy this thing came down hard.

I like them so far and can't wait for the tie rod kit they have. just no money at this moment to do something like that.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: More problems? Hotchkiss A-Arms? [Re: HealthServices] #704191
05/22/10 05:30 PM
05/22/10 05:30 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
I forgot to mention I found the printout from the last alignment left Castor -.5, right was +.5

Afterwards i have +4 Castor on both. I wanted more but got tired of removing the a arms to adjust them.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Page 1 of 2 1 2