Print Thread
That thingy fell of the thing... #68989
06/07/08 12:06 AM
06/07/08 12:06 AM
Townsville
3_wheelie Offline OP
3_wheelie  Offline OP

Townsville
Well this is my first post on here and so that means I must be the new owner of a 67 dart! So lets revell in todays event, shall we?
I picked up the car today and started on my way home with my mother following me. The whole ride was horrible due to the fact that I thought a connecting rod had let loose(the guy I bought it off of told me he thought a rod was knocking so i got a huge discount), the whole dam car was shaking.
So about halfway home the most incredible thing happened... the right-front passenger wheel made the notion to loose all its lugnuts and haulass past the car into a ditch and i was forced to slam on the brakes and skid into some driveway!
I was laughing my man-titties off after i realized what happened and my mom was about as pale as flour when she pulled up next to me.
I was amazed that none of the studs were broke (Ive always been told those shaft mount nuts is junk)
Well anyway I tore all the drum brake stuff off and popped the wheel back on so we could get it onto the tow truck and now it sits in my garage waiting to be fixed.
*NOTE* I know that driving a motor with a serious problem like that is pretty dumb, but i got another motor lined up anyway and i think im to young to worry AND i know i shouldn't laugh when my newly bought car just lost a wheel doing 40 down the road.
Sorry for the long read but i had to tell somebody...

So i ask can i just purchase wheels with a conical seat and matching lugnuts and bolt them to the hubs on thier so I never have to worry about this again? Or is a conical seat wheel change mean new hubs/spindle/etc.?

YutKillYut Grozny lives!
Re: That thingy fell of the thing... [Re: 3_wheelie] #68990
06/07/08 12:40 AM
06/07/08 12:40 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Well, one problem will quickly raise it's ugly head. 63-72 Darts, and some 4-doors made after 1972 have a 4" lug bolt circle, so very few wheel will actually fit. Problem #2 is you did not mention which wheel fell off, one side is left hand thread on early Mopars. Please give us more info, and we will be glad to help you out. BTW, I have been beating the crap out of early Darts for 30 years now, and can probably get you going quickly, as well as many others on this here board.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: That thingy fell of the thing... [Re: Rhinodart] #68991
06/07/08 12:58 AM
06/07/08 12:58 AM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
He did mention that "the right-front passenger tire" fell off, so concerning the one that fell off, the left hand threads aren't an issue. However, if he replaces all the wheels with the conical style holes, then he has two options: he can either get left-hand threaded nuts for the left side of the car, or he can replace all the studs on the left side with right hand threaded studs (an option I've used myself). As far as finding wheels with the right bolt pattern - good luck.

Re: That thingy fell of the thing... [Re: Rhinodart] #68992
06/07/08 01:01 AM
06/07/08 01:01 AM
Townsville
3_wheelie Offline OP
3_wheelie  Offline OP

Townsville
Quote:

Well, one problem will quickly raise it's ugly head. 63-72 Darts, and some 4-doors made after 1972 have a 4" lug bolt circle, so very few wheel will actually fit. Problem #2 is you did not mention which wheel fell off, one side is left hand thread on early Mopars. Please give us more info, and we will be glad to help you out. BTW, I have been beating the crap out of early Darts for 30 years now, and can probably get you going quickly, as well as many others on this here board.

It was the passenger side front and it is regular thread( i remeber using the righty-tighty method).

The plan IS/SHOULD BE to run to Summit and get a Willwood disc brake conversion kit and according to the web site the hubs are drilled for both the 5x4.5" and 5x4.75" bolt patterns.Later on get some matching axles from Strange for the rear.

As far as getting started on a nice car its pretty much thier performance wise. Its got a built 727 with full manual-reverse Cheetah valve body, 8-3/4 rear with 4.10s and Suregrip, B&M ratchet Shifter, MSD 6AL box with MSD distributor, 750 Holley DP, carbon fiber hood, etc. Need the interior redone (its currently got a racing seat in it and some gauges and thats about that) and patch some surface rust (havent found a hole yet). She was a steal for $1700

Last edited by 3_wheelie; 06/07/08 01:02 AM.

YutKillYut Grozny lives!
Re: That thingy fell of the thing... [Re: 3_wheelie] #68993
06/07/08 11:00 AM
06/07/08 11:00 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Keep the lug nuts tight and the wheels won't fall off. No need for any special style of wheel.

Re: That thingy fell of the thing... [Re: stumpy] #68994
06/07/08 11:30 AM
06/07/08 11:30 AM
Florida
M
mopar346 Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
mopar346  Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
M

Florida
Quote:

Keep the lug nuts tight and the wheels won't fall off. No need for any special style of wheel.

Sounds like a great buy, and by the way welcome to the board.

Careful, your character's showing!
Re: That thingy fell of the thing... [Re: stumpy] #68995
06/07/08 11:39 AM
06/07/08 11:39 AM
Townsville
3_wheelie Offline OP
3_wheelie  Offline OP

Townsville
Quote:

Well i was planning on doing a disc brake conversion for this car even before i got it, but this event just made that step way up on the to-do list. And i think every wheel that I can get for a 5x4 is fugly, even the cragars on it.

YutKillYut Grozny lives!