04/27/10 08:59 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Guess how I voted...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Sssnake383] #681626
04/27/10 09:06 PM
04/27/10 09:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

After reading all the posts on this subject in the various threads I can see no reason for this poll.

1. Dave Walden and I disagree on many things but from all I can surmize about him is that he is an honorable man. He has stated that he will only reproduce them for people that HAVE AN EXISTING ORIGINAL ONE. So, unless you dispute what he is saying all of this is mote.

2. My question is, why would anyone WANT to buy one if they already have one? What is wrong with simply making a color copy that cost $2.00 to use for display to guard your original???

3. If you have your original even in poor condition, what difference does it make? IF it is not readable in some areas and a reproduction is made that "corrects" this problem then that opens up another can of worms about this.

4. The majority of the members on Moparts that think the BS is so important don't even understand how much of it is specific to THAT particular car. Example, lets use a 1969 Charger R/T. It came with either a 440 or a Hemi, which is coded in the V.I.N. Other items that are specific to THIS particular car that will be different from any other 1969 Charger R/T on the BS are the specific options that were ordered. The Hemi engine triggered certain items over the 440 and were reflected on the BS, but these very same items are identifable on the subject car by simply reseaching GGs white books which are basically just a cumulative source of info gathered from parts books and sales codes so what do you really need a BS for? Sure there is a VON and a sequence number on it and if the fender tag is missing you won't know these thing, but why do we really care? Why do we care what position it came down the line vs. any other car? We know that the SPD portion of the VON is just a GUESS as to when it was actually made so why do we care if we know the true SPD given by the factory. If it is really important to someone they can research registries for their car and compare V.I.N.S/VONS of other cars assembled at the same plant to determine just as accurate a time period. My point is that there is VERY LITTLE that the BS tells us that we can't figure out based on what we already know from the V.I.N. info that really effects the value of the car or can't be figure out from scrutinizing the particular car. Yes, there are some exceptions for some models/years regarding options like a shaker hood for value and some codes that are effected by things like axle packages but these codes are also easy enought to determine what triggers them on a specific car.

5. I have always said, PUT YOUR FAITH IN THE V.I.N. which many have poo pooed. They claim that it too can be reproduced or changed. Yes, that is true, but it is the ONE thing that carries HEAVY FEDERAL PENALTIES for doing so. The ONLY legal identifier for an old auto is the V.I.N. plate and it's matching title. The title is easily obtained but the V.I.N. plate is an entirely different item. Mopar owners of these old car are lucky that the V.I.N. spells out the model and engine that account for 90% of the value (or potential value) of thes old cars. For the most part the trans. and the color combo (which is a matter of taste) are the only things that really make any kind of economic sense regarding the value of most specific cars. Why? because the cost of adding an option to a car is outweighed by the cost of purchasing and installing it, so there is no economic advantage, only something someone would do for their own enjoyment.

To ME, the bottom line is that for MOPARS the broadcast sheet does not carry NEARLY the weight that it does for some other makes that don't have the luxury of a model and engine identifing V.I.N.
WAY TOO MUCH value is given to a broadcast sheet.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: rayztoy] #681627
04/27/10 09:28 PM
04/27/10 09:28 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
Quote:

I'm as to why such a fuss?

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681628
04/27/10 09:29 PM
04/27/10 09:29 PM
Arizona
69rrconvert Offline
mopar
69rrconvert  Offline
mopar

Arizona
Quote:

After reading all the posts on this subject in the various threads I can see no reason for this poll.

1. Dave Walden and I disagree on many things but from all I can surmize about him is that he is an honorable man. He has stated that he will only reproduce them for people that HAVE AN EXISTING ORIGINAL ONE. So, unless you dispute what he is saying all of this is mote.

2. My question is, why would anyone WANT to buy one if they already have one? What is wrong with simply making a color copy that cost $2.00 to use for display to guard your original???

3. If you have your original even in poor condition, what difference does it make? IF it is not readable in some areas and a reproduction is made that "corrects" this problem then that opens up another can of worms about this.

4. The majority of the members on Moparts that think the BS is so important don't even understand how much of it is specific to THAT particular car. Example, lets use a 1969 Charger R/T. It came with either a 440 or a Hemi, which is coded in the V.I.N. Other items that are specific to THIS particular car that will be different from any other 1969 Charger R/T on the BS are the specific options that were ordered. The Hemi engine triggered certain items over the 440 and were reflected on the BS, but these very same items are identifable on the subject car by simply reseaching GGs white books which are basically just a cumulative source of info gathered from parts books and sales codes so what do you really need a BS for? Sure there is a VON and a sequence number on it and if the fender tag is missing you won't know these thing, but why do we really care? Why do we care what position it came down the line vs. any other car? We know that the SPD portion of the VON is just a GUESS as to when it was actually made so why do we care if we know the true SPD given by the factory. If it is really important to someone they can research registries for their car and compare V.I.N.S/VONS of other cars assembled at the same plant to determine just as accurate a time period. My point is that there is VERY LITTLE that the BS tells us that we can't figure out based on what we already know from the V.I.N. info that really effects the value of the car or can't be figure out from scrutinizing the particular car. Yes, there are some exceptions for some models/years regarding options like a shaker hood for value and some codes that are effected by things like axle packages but these codes are also easy enought to determine what triggers them on a specific car.

5. I have always said, PUT YOUR FAITH IN THE V.I.N. which many have poo pooed. They claim that it too can be reproduced or changed. Yes, that is true, but it is the ONE thing that carries HEAVY FEDERAL PENALTIES for doing so. The ONLY legal identifier for an old auto is the V.I.N. plate and it's matching title. The title is easily obtained but the V.I.N. plate is an entirely different item. Mopar owners of these old car are lucky that the V.I.N. spells out the model and engine that account for 90% of the value (or potential value) of thes old cars. For the most part the trans. and the color combo (which is a matter of taste) are the only things that really make any kind of economic sense regarding the value of most specific cars. Why? because the cost of adding an option to a car is outweighed by the cost of purchasing and installing it, so there is no economic advantage, only something someone would do for their own enjoyment.

To ME, the bottom line is that for MOPARS the broadcast sheet does not carry NEARLY the weight that it does for some other makes that don't have the luxury of a model and engine identifing V.I.N.
WAY TOO MUCH value is given to a broadcast sheet.

Finally..........A breath of fresh air and sensibility

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Morty426] #681629
04/27/10 09:42 PM
04/27/10 09:42 PM
Mid-Atlantic
S
Scatransit Offline
mopar
Scatransit  Offline
mopar
S

Mid-Atlantic

I think Dave has been very clear on this item. You have to have an original BCS to get a reproduced copy. Plain and simple.

Clear, plain, & simple huh?
Funny, this is the 3rd thread on the subject...

I agree with Eric...they are what they are, and should be left alone.

I was just curious about what plans may have been discussed regarding validation & authentication.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

If it's ever gonna happen, I'd rather it be with a reputable company, with a system in place that would protect the hobby and our investments.

[oo]======[oo]
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Scatransit] #681630
04/27/10 10:05 PM
04/27/10 10:05 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Quote:

I think Dave has been very clear on this item. You have to have an original BCS to get a reproduced copy. Plain and simple.

Clear, plain, & simple huh?
Funny, this is the 3rd thread on the subject...

I agree with Eric...they are what they are, and should be left alone.

I was just curious about what plans may have been discussed regarding validation & authentication.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

If it's ever gonna happen, I'd rather it be with a reputable company, with a system in place that would protect the hobby and our investments.

Well since I'm a Process Engineer I have the same question.

How would this work?

Do you need to send your original BCS to ECS for verification before you are issued a "replica"?

I think that's the only way you can do it and maintain the integrity. But the big problem here is I just don't see the market here. I'll just make a copy of BCS if I want to display it. How do you compete with a $1 copy machine?

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: MuscleMopars] #681631
04/27/10 11:42 PM
04/27/10 11:42 PM
Wisconsin
A
Aero426 Offline
I Live Here
Aero426  Offline
I Live Here
A

Wisconsin
Quote:

A broadcast sheet is the only thing that should not be reproduced to look like it might be an original. As everyone knows, it was hit or miss if a car got a broadcast sheet put in it at the factory and if you got one, you have one, and if you didn't, well, then you don't. If you have a 1/2 of one, you have a 1/2 of one. If the mouse chewed yours up, the mouse chewed it up. They are what they are and they should be left alone. End of story.

I could not agree more.

What happens another 40 years down the road when the 100 percent accurate reproduction sheet has aged like the real one? How will the next generation of collectors tell the difference? (I know which piece of paper I would want.) Three owners down the line, the car changes hands and for whatever reason, the real build sheet is withheld or unintentionally lost in the "safe" place, and the reproduction is passed along. I would not want to be the buyer stuck in that position.

Until now, the broadcast sheet has been the one thing that hasn't been able to be accurately duplicated. I'm perfectly fine with this. While the build sheet is not the only factor in determining value in a car, it's mightly weighty, and I feel it is something that should not be touched by the reproduction industry.

Of the reproduction items currently available, the window stickers and fender tags are nice to have, but add little to no value - because, well, you know what they are. In my opinion, to offer a reproduction build sheet compromises the integrity of the original.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Aero426] #681632
04/27/10 11:53 PM
04/27/10 11:53 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
First. I don't think they should be created under ANY circumstances for reasons that I and others have already noted in this and the previous related threads.

Having said that, if duplicates were reproduced using an original as a pattern, what methods would be used to determine that said originals are in fact authentic or unaltered? What if someone submitted an authentic unaltered original that had an unreadable or missing area, would the blanks be filled in as (whomever) chooses?

Can-O-Worms that should never be opened IMO

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #681633
04/28/10 12:03 AM
04/28/10 12:03 AM
albany ny
05dakota Offline
I Live Here
05dakota  Offline
I Live Here

albany ny
and that point was made 100 posts ago.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: 05dakota] #681634
04/28/10 12:14 AM
04/28/10 12:14 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington

Quote:

Which is why I included this:

Quote:

for reasons that I and others have already noted in this and the previous related threads.

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: 05dakota] #681635
04/28/10 12:34 AM
04/28/10 12:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Actually Ted we are right back where this originally started! Forget the fact that a piece of junk reproduction "fake" car is completely acceptable as long as the assembly instruction sheet says that it is real! (Keep in mind that Broadcast Sheets are NOT a document and were NEVER intended to be anything but a disposable build instructional guide some 40 years ago.) The "Sheep" have all followed this backwards brainwashing over the years! I have never seen such a ridiculous, more contradictory, oxymoron way of thinking in my life. If you have a re-bodied car with no paperwork than you are considered weasel and a crook. If you have a re-bodied phony car and a "real" Broadcast sheet to authenticate what it is, then you are okay in everyone's book! We have become an industry of collecting paper....the heck with the car! Fake the car and have original paperwork.... Get reproduction paperwork that represents an all original car.... What a perfect and logical way of thinking!

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681636
04/28/10 12:37 AM
04/28/10 12:37 AM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline
mopar

San Antonio, TX
I got a really easy way to fix this. Why don't those who are producing these BCS just put "reproduction" somewhere on the sheet. Jeez making a big deal out of it. Just put something on it to say it is a repro and call it a day.

Goes with the saying "Build the car the way you want it". In this case, the owner can do whatever he wants if the car is his.

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681637
04/28/10 12:52 AM
04/28/10 12:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For whatever reason many of the experts are completely ignoring the Ten Ton Elephant that is sitting in the room. You guys ABSOLUTELY know that almost every restored vehicle out there has almost NO remaining original parts BUT are "authenticated" by the original Build sheet. In past threads you have preached how a car "can only be original once" and a restored car should NEVER rank over an all original one. But NOW you want to pull back from that position when the Build sheet comes into play. NOW the build sheet actually DOES make a reproduction, non-original car worth more. WITHOUT the Build sheet a "reproduction car" is nothing but a reproduction "fake" car. WITH the build sheet it is magically transformed into representing and authenticating an "all original vehicle". If not for absence of linear logic or rational thought, I would think all of this as nothing more than a bad punchline to an Automotive joke!

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: CurYellowBird] #681638
04/28/10 01:02 AM
04/28/10 01:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I got a really easy way to fix this. Why don't those who are producing these BCS just put "reproduction" somewhere on the sheet. Jeez making a big deal out of it. Just put something on it to say it is a repro and call it a day.

Goes with the saying "Build the car the way you want it". In this case, the owner can do whatever he wants if the car is his.

How about this....you have a real car, you are only allowed to have a real build sheet. You have a restored "reproduction" car, you can get a reproduction build sheet! Or should the logic work in only one direction?

(No I am not having a change of heart. Just trying to add a little common sense to a one sided way of thinking!)

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: CurYellowBird] #681639
04/28/10 01:05 AM
04/28/10 01:05 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

That's kind of what I was thinking, but the word reproduction had to be somewhere where it can't be removed.

The fact is, it's a reproduction BCS no matter what.
If it's only for display purposes and not for trying to scam someone into believing it's an original BCS does it have to be perfect?

If you have an original BCS scan it and display the scanned copy or your choice is display a BCS that says reproduction on it.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: Aero426] #681640
04/28/10 01:11 AM
04/28/10 01:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Of the reproduction items currently available, the window stickers and fender tags are nice to have, but add little to no value....

....but an "original" Broadcast Sheet adds value to the "reproduction" parts used to restore a car! I sure wish I was able to determine which reproduction parts are valuable with an original Build Sheet and which ones are of "little to no value...." without one. This gets really confusing for me!

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: SNK-EYZ] #681641
04/28/10 01:19 AM
04/28/10 01:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If it's only for display purposes and not for trying to scam someone into believing it's an original BCS does it have to be perfect?

Once again, why not use that same logic with the other factors of these cars? Why do most people complain when the Good Mark fenders don't fit "perfect"? Why do people scrutinize and criticize our other decals and paper products if they don't want them to appear original or look "perfect"? Should we assume that anyone who restores a car to look like new or "perfect" is actually trying to scam someone into thinking that it is original? Who gets to make the new rules for what can look authentic and what should look altered?

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681642
04/28/10 01:24 AM
04/28/10 01:24 AM
San Antonio, TX
CurYellowBird Offline
mopar
CurYellowBird  Offline
mopar

San Antonio, TX
Chances are that not everyone here has a car that is as correct as the day it rolled off the showroom floor. Unless you did a point-for-point "gold" resto on your car (which is stupid IMO cause it is probably spending its life on a trailor) then this whole repro argument doesn't mean anything.

Why don't people make such a big deal out of repopped fender tags or window stickers? I know my car is completely original (minus wheels) but luckily I have a scrap left that has the code "3" letting me know it came with magnums. So I could easily just walk around the car and write down all the options and have a repro made. Or just print one out of the tech archives and just write the numbers in lol

Project War Bird: 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner 383 4 speed with air conditioning GY3 Curious yellow All original
Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? [Re: CurYellowBird] #681643
04/28/10 01:33 AM
04/28/10 01:33 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Chances are that not everyone here has a car that is as correct as the day it rolled off the showroom floor.

THANK YOU for finally stating the reality to all of this! All of these guys who are content with an unoriginal car are all bugged up over having an original piece of paper that no longer represents the actual vehicle! That is exactly what I have been waiting for someone to say. Now....can anybody that feels this way, please explain the warped logic for requiring a piece of original paperwork that represents their "fake" car but the opposite scenario is NOT ALLOWED?!

Re: Broadcast Sheet Poll - are repros a good idea? #681644
04/28/10 01:34 AM
04/28/10 01:34 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Quote:

Quote:

Once again, why not use that same logic with the other factors of these cars? Why do most people complain when the Good Mark fenders don't fit "perfect"? Why do people scrutinize and criticize our other decals and paper products if they don't want them to appear original or look "perfect"? Should we assume that anyone who restores a car to look like new or "perfect" is actually trying to scam someone into thinking that it is original? Who gets to make the new rules for what can look authentic and what should look altered?

I completely understand your logic on this.

The thing about a BCS is that it's used to correctly restore a car to the way it left the factory, or it can be used to try to document a bogus car.

The other parts for the car don't have that distinction, they just bolt or weld on.

You can restore a car to exactly the way it left the factory, but it's still restored car any way you look at it.

It's been said many times, a car is only original once.
Unless it's an unrestored survivor that hasn't been touched (and that opens a whole different can of worms) it's restored.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9