H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

I wasn't planning on getting back into this..

I am thankful for all the companies that have put in time and money so I can make my cars look like they did 40 years ago(or so).
There wouldn't be an old car hobby as we know it if it wasn't for people or companies recognizing our needs.
If a person doesn't have enough brain power to know what is real and what is fake, they have no business getting into old cars ..or anything else. We've become a world of "pass the buck" and don't except responsibility for our own actions.

Lumping dishonest people with others(like me) that just like to have a "period correct" car really is unfair. As with anything, when it becomes valuable.. the riff-raff come out.

If we follow the logic represented to it's conclusion, there shouldn't be any restored cars being given awards because of FAKE paint marks, interior, trim, tires, paint and so on.
Just survivor type cars should be accepted. Regardless of condition.

just my penny's worth

Good point.. However, if I am reading this correctly, then only those with the "secret handshake" should be allowed to enter this realm of hobby car ownership(?). There are many upstanding folks who don't yet have the knowledge, yet have all of the enthusiasm(and $) and more than those of the "inner circle". Even the most omnipotent were all once "rookies".

Do we just chalk it up to "caveat emptor", or do we do our best to make it so that documents that are a crucial part of determining provenance, (and in some cases value), are ferreted out as fakes and subsequently frowned upon?

I am not particularly siding with anyone here, but I am kinda leaning in the direction that it's best to leave those items alone. if someone wants to make a sheet for his/her own personal enjoyment who am I to say anything about it? I guess the problem lies with the fact that if truly undetectable items like this exist, then it casts a shadow of doubt upon all documentation. That, in itself makes it a bad thing, in some respect. If you remember, it was the block stamping that was/is so prevalent among the Corvette crowd, that really put a damper on the "numbers matching" status of all collector Vettes.

MB

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Iceman01] #672197
04/25/10 05:25 PM
04/25/10 05:25 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
I just stumbled onto this thread. Can someone recap so I don't have to read the past 5 pages?

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Paul Jacobs] #672198
04/25/10 07:17 PM
04/25/10 07:17 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

I just stumbled onto this thread. Can someone recap so I don't have to read the past 5 pages?

Paul,either way it will take you a while!

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: 62maxwgn] #672199
04/25/10 07:59 PM
04/25/10 07:59 PM
State of retirement
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of retirement
Quote:

Quote:

who would of thought..

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: 52savoy] #672200
04/25/10 08:13 PM
04/25/10 08:13 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Just a bunch of us guys fighting for the tallest soap box

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: 52savoy] #672201
04/25/10 08:16 PM
04/25/10 08:16 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

who would of thought..

I think there is one somewhat angry person who says the Broadcast sheet is not that important, doesn't really add value to the car and he will reproduce one that will be perfectly undetecable in spite of everyone?

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: joelson6] #672202
04/25/10 08:32 PM
04/25/10 08:32 PM
KY USA
mopargem Offline
master
mopargem  Offline
master

KY USA
Quote:

hmmmmmm..............

i'm pretty sure that door stickers are being reproduced.

is that fraudulent or OK ? ? ? ? ?

A door sticker is a very visual "part" of the car that often needs replacement just like many other parts that are replaced if you want things looking nice. Pretty much next to impossible to remove an original and replace on fresh paint, therefore it shouldnt be to hard to spot a replacement on a restored car. Not much info on them anyway that could alter much. I embrace this particular correct reproduction or whatever you want to call it.

68 Polara 500...LL1 Y7 M6X
69 Hemi road runner...X9 X9 M6X
69 A12 road runner....R4 R4 M6X
69 ModTop FLORAL Super Bee...F
70 AAR 'cuda...EW1 EW1 H4X9
71 Duster 340...FJ6 V24 L6X9
71 road runner FC7 V1X M6X9

72 Rallye Charger B5 V1W

74 'cuda 360...KB5 V1X A6X9
08 SRT Challenger #234

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: mopargem] #672203
04/25/10 08:43 PM
04/25/10 08:43 PM
Pinelands , NJ
J
joelson6 Offline
super stock
joelson6  Offline
super stock
J

Pinelands , NJ
thanks,

i was being a bit sarcastic.

i'm happy i can find replacement "stickers". i got some from some of the guys on the site. looks nice. oh, that reminds me, i need to order a couple more

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672204
04/25/10 08:46 PM
04/25/10 08:46 PM
North Central USA (MN-WI area)
MuscleMopars Offline
master
MuscleMopars  Offline
master

Quote:

Quote:

Without it you don't know everything your car is supposed to be and with it you have the blueprint to change a "changed" car back to original.

Sorry to ruin your theory but I didn't use the Broadcast sheet as a reference to restore the car AT ALL. The vehicle was simply a rolling example of reproduction (aka fake) parts and pieces. If you understood the context of my post, the "correct" paperwork only added extra cost and pseudo value to an incorrect car! I paid top dollar for it (at the time) and STILL had to invest over $200K to straighten things out.

I understood the context of your post completely. You said that you bought the car thinking what could go wrong because it had all of the correct paperwork. So you DID care that it had paperwork and expected a car that was correct and documented by the paperwork. So WHY??? did you NOT use the paperwork as a reference to restore it then??? The paperwork added value to your car as it should but you failed to do your homework and personally inspect the car before you bought it and negotiate a price for it that was fair based on what you expected. If you had to spend $200K to just "straighten things out" then you really got taken...

Thanks,
Eric
email eric@musclemopars.com
715-426-HEMI (Shop)
612-669-CARS (Cell and Texts)

Go to my Moparts "Profile" to see my web site
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: mopargem] #672205
04/25/10 09:01 PM
04/25/10 09:01 PM
NJ
M
moparply Offline
master
moparply  Offline
master
M

NJ
Question?

Who has the most information collected on these cars? Galen?

Why doesn't he make all of his donated for free/collected info accessible to everyone? Just like Barry's site, Thanks Barry!

I'm sure he has a lot of documentation/paper work/build sheets/etc. on these cars that could be reunited.

Why not just have one database/registry instead of 20?

Now is the time, not in another 10 or 20 years!

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: MuscleMopars] #672206
04/25/10 09:04 PM
04/25/10 09:04 PM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

If you had to spend $200K to just "straighten things out" then you really got taken...

That's what I was thinking as well, but the guy's investing half a million into a 70 Valiant 4dr, so it's safe to assume money not really the deciding factor here....Just hate to be his one kid that gets stuck with the 4dr while the others get the cool cars

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: anlauto] #672207
04/25/10 10:09 PM
04/25/10 10:09 PM
Mid-Atlantic
S
Scatransit Offline
mopar
Scatransit  Offline
mopar
S

Mid-Atlantic
I think what the original poster is trying to do sounds kinda neat... We've all spent countless hours with our resource materials decoding build sheets...it's educational and a lot of fun...I've decoded mine 2 or 3 times and I always seem to learn something new...Doing it in reverse sounds like a real challenge...Get the parts books, service manuals, data tag info & so forth, all together and have at it!

As for ECS...In light of their philisophical position on build sheets, I do applaud their decision not to reproduce them. There are just too many gray areas.

[oo]======[oo]
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Scatransit] #672208
04/25/10 10:43 PM
04/25/10 10:43 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Quote:

I think what the original poster is trying to do sounds kinda neat... We've all spent countless hours with our resource materials decoding build sheets...it's educational and a lot of fun...I've decoded mine 2 or 3 times and I always seem to learn something new...Doing it in reverse sounds like a real challenge...Get the parts books, service manuals, data tag info & so forth, all together and have at it!

As for ECS...In light of their philisophical position on build sheets, I do applaud their decision not to reproduce them. There are just too many gray areas.

But he already HAS reproduced them, just decided not to offer them for sale! The way I see it Dave used this thread to make his final decision NOT to sell them, though they will always be out there now. Don't forget that we are just caretakers of these cars and they WILL be passed onto someone else eventually, or maybe Dave thinks he is going to live forever?

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Rhinodart] #672209
04/25/10 10:55 PM
04/25/10 10:55 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
This post has gone from bad to worse! Enough already for Gods sake!!
Look, despite everyones opinions, you guys making personal attacks on each other is taking it a bit too far.
Dave Walden is a friend of mine, and we disagree on things. In fact, I happen to love broadcast sheets-they are very helpful when restoring a basket case with little other documentation.
Jim Rinehart is a friend of mine and WE disagree on things.
I have a lot of friends on here and we see things differently.
It is not necessary, to agree on all things, to still be civil on a board, in which we all want to learn and help the hobby.
This board should not be a platform of "who can prove their point the greatest".
It's a fact that we are all very passionate about these cars, but it's a bit fruitless, if we lose the respect of our fellow enthusiast by our attitudes.
The worst part about this is the original poster is a friend of mine. He's kinda new to the hobby and is one of the most honest people I have ever met. Some of the responses here have made him question whether he should ever post here again!!

To all on here, thanks for your inputs on this subject-each one has been interesting reading.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: MuscleMopars] #672210
04/25/10 11:35 PM
04/25/10 11:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I understood the context of your post completely......So you DID care that it had paperwork and expected a car that was correct and documented by the paperwork.

I find your selective perception quite amusing. If you HAD paid attention you would have realized that my comments referenced 2002 and not present day. NOW, I choose to think for myself rather than listen to a group of self serving opportunists. (You do understand the meaning of the word "NOW" don't you Eric?) Being "bitten" by the ordeal only helped to expedite my change of heart. And Eric....that $200K was the best "taken" that ever happened to me. Once again had you paid attention, THAT ordeal was the catalyst that catapulted my company to be where it is today! Looking back, I wish I could find TEN more "taken" scenarios exactly like that one. Sorry if you find that disappointing!

Guys like you can moan and groan all you like. The bottom line is that I took the time to do things right and followed the proper channels to become licensed. I manufacture and legally represent all of the products I sell under the Chrysler Brand! They are completely aware of the Broadcast Sheets and were even willing to grant permission to offer them under certain conditions. Who are you to lecture me about what you seem to think I should or shouldn't feel about them?! Until you have controlling interest in Chrysler Eric, I guess you will just have to live with this.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Paul Jacobs] #672211
04/25/10 11:52 PM
04/25/10 11:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

This post has gone from bad to worse!

No Paul, it has NOT gone from bad to worse. It is about time that someone stood up to the moronic rhetoric that has plagued us for quite some time. I have listened to this nonsense for YEARS but no one has been willing to take the bull by the horns and stand up for what is right! Did you read the earlier post where a Gentleman was told his all original survivor car was basically worthless (and only good for a parts car) because it didn't have the fender tag or a Build-sheet?!? If you give certain people perceived authority they will take it. I am NOT trying to change anyone's feelings about how they should perceive the value of a Broadcast Sheet. I would only hope that fellow hobbyist will STOP looking down their noses at those members who don't have a Hemi this or that with a Build-sheet or a 440 Six Pack with a build-sheet or a Superbird with a Build-sheet, etc.... I personal find my Slant Six Valiant a more desirable car than my Hemicuda or Challenger R/T. People's cars are valuable for WHAT THEY ARE not because "someone" subjectively dictates their importance based on a piece of paper shoved in a seat!

PS...when are you coming up?

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672212
04/26/10 01:47 AM
04/26/10 01:47 AM
MuscleMopars Offline
master
MuscleMopars  Offline
master

Quote:

Quote:

I understood the context of your post completely......So you DID care that it had paperwork and expected a car that was correct and documented by the paperwork.

I find your selective perception quite amusing. If you HAD paid attention you would have realized that my comments referenced 2002 and not present day. NOW, I choose to think for myself rather than listen to a group of self serving opportunists. (You do understand the meaning of the word "NOW" don't you Eric?) Being "bitten" by the ordeal only helped to expedite my change of heart. And Eric....that $200K was the best "taken" that ever happened to me. Once again had you paid attention, THAT ordeal was the catalyst that catapulted my company to be where it is today! Looking back, I wish I could find TEN more "taken" scenarios exactly like that one. Sorry if you find that disappointing!

Guys like you can moan and groan all you like. The bottom line is that I took the time to do things right and followed the proper channels to become licensed. I manufacture and legally represent all of the products I sell under the Chrysler Brand! They are completely aware of the Broadcast Sheets and were even willing to grant permission to offer them under certain conditions. Who are you to lecture me about what you seem to think I should or shouldn't feel about them?! Until you have controlling interest in Chrysler Eric, I guess you will just have to live with this.

Dave, I'm a customer of yours and I do appreciate some of your products but I don't appreciate your arrogance to anybody that try's to reason with you. I also don't appreciate the way you dangle out in front of everybody here your personal perceived power to ruin what an original broadcast sheet does for documenting real original cars with your counterfeit sheets IF you wanted to because Chrysler officially authorized you to do so. I don't think I'm alone here. You know what a negative effect it would have if you did offer them and that is why you don't, but quit acting like you might. You should put your efforts into detecting fake sheets since you are the expert at faking them. I don't think anybody here would argue with you if you were to become the Official Chrysler Licensed fake broadcast sheet detector! Don't take offense to this, just munch on it a bit and hopefully it might make some sense to you without you coming back at me and bashing me for being concerned...Now be nice

Thanks,
Eric
email eric@musclemopars.com
715-426-HEMI (Shop)
612-669-CARS (Cell and Texts)

Go to my Moparts "Profile" to see my web site
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Rhinodart] #672213
04/26/10 06:21 AM
04/26/10 06:21 AM
Mid-Atlantic
S
Scatransit Offline
mopar
Scatransit  Offline
mopar
S

Mid-Atlantic

But he already HAS reproduced them, just decided not to offer them for sale!

I was referring to filled out and packaged - such as with window stickers.

I too am concerned about the message being sent here to folks that may be new to the hobby and/or this board.

Lets have our opinions, accept the fact that others have theirs, and try to find common ground somewhere.

[oo]======[oo]
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Rhinodart] #672214
04/26/10 07:52 AM
04/26/10 07:52 AM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Quote:

But he already HAS reproduced them, just decided not to offer them for sale!

The sheets Dave made (about 5 years ago it sounds like) have no affect on the hobby and no affect on the cars they were made for. No information on the sheet was guessed at or changed. They are basically a fancy color copy of an already existing sheet. An extra copy of a broadcast sheet has no affect on a car that already had a sheet with it. An extra copy of a broadcast sheet also has no affect on the future of the hobby. If someone else gets there hands on one of Dave's sheets in 50 years, even if it's not with the car anymore, because the codes on the sheet are exactly the same, it would be no different from having one of the many copies the factory made for each car.

Barry Washington said earlier in this thread that his definition of reproduction included nothing being changed or guessed at from original. These sheets meet that (and every other) definition. They are true reproductions.

Even if they don't always agree with each other 100%, Barry Washington, Galen Govier, & Dave Walden are the three people I trust to never change a cars documents. (I could probably add a few more to that list also, Scott Smith, Dan, etc...)

It sounds like Dave did a marvelous job selecting the correct paper, ink, & font, while also formatting and aging the document, but the real tell about a fake sheet will always be the information that goes in the blanks. Some options don't go with other options, and what was coded on the sheet along with how it was coded changed over time. Not just from year to year, but also early vs late in the year.

Tav

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: cataclysm80] #672215
04/26/10 11:33 AM
04/26/10 11:33 AM
Ontario
C
Cudaworld Offline
super street
Cudaworld  Offline
super street
C

Ontario
Dave, is there anyway to put a little ECS Logo on the back of your broadcast sheets in order to spot the fake from original? Your products are spot on correct and I have used them on my car. (Thank you)

I suppose my thoughts are if you can make a sheet with some kind of tell tale sign it is a "copy" "reproduction" etc... then that would be great. We would know then based on your integrity that nothing was changed on the Broadcast sheet, no options were added to the car, your strict criteria for developing and selling the completed sheet were met.

Then it's a novelty item someone can have made for their car. Just an idea...

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12