04/13/10 12:33 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline OP
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline OP
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
All,

I'm thinking about making a few improvements to my 71 Sebring's suspension and I'm looking at the Hotchkis upper A arms. My goal would be improved tracking and much reduced bump steer.

I've already modified the suspension of my car with the following:

205 lb/inch torsion bars
1 1/4" anti-sway bar
Polygraphite everywhere
Rick E's disk brake swap, 11.75"
Fast ratio pitman and idler
KYB shocks
255/45-17's all around

So I'm wondering if the Hotchkis arms would be a good addition to what I've already done. My car bump steers like crazy!

Thanks.

Jim

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #668786
04/13/10 12:47 PM
04/13/10 12:47 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
If you have bump steer issues then call the guys at Firm Feel and talk to them. They are probably the most experienced Mopar suspension folks around.

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #668787
04/13/10 01:06 PM
04/13/10 01:06 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
I have them and for the most part like them.

Get the tie rod bump steer kit and the get their shocks instead of the KYBs or buy mine so I can get the Hotchkis shocks.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #668788
04/13/10 07:20 PM
04/13/10 07:20 PM
Sante Fe Springs, CA
H
Hotchkis Offline
enthusiast
Hotchkis  Offline
enthusiast
H

Sante Fe Springs, CA
We'd recommend swapping out the KYBs for a more high performance shock like Bilstein. The cheaper shocks just don't perform well and for a few more dollars a performance shock will provide considerably better service for years to come. Definitely one of those "you get what you pay for" situations - even if you don't use ours.

As far as your tracking and bumpsteer issues go, a combination of tubular control arms (for extra caster) and our adjustable tie rods will dramatically reduce bumpsteer and improve tracking. Each car is different, but we can offer recommendations on spacer settings for the tie rods.

A third thing is to find an alignment shop that can actually work on your car. Most modern shops really don't do a very good job of aligning vintage muscle cars.

Stock Challenger Before and After

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: Hotchkis] #668789
04/13/10 08:56 PM
04/13/10 08:56 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline OP
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline OP
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

We'd recommend swapping out the KYBs for a more high performance shock like Bilstein. The cheaper shocks just don't perform well and for a few more dollars a performance shock will provide considerably better service for years to come. Definitely one of those "you get what you pay for" situations - even if you don't use ours.

As far as your tracking and bumpsteer issues go, a combination of tubular control arms (for extra caster) and our adjustable tie rods will dramatically reduce bumpsteer and improve tracking. Each car is different, but we can offer recommendations on spacer settings for the tie rods.

A third thing is to find an alignment shop that can actually work on your car. Most modern shops really don't do a very good job of aligning vintage muscle cars.

Stock Challenger Before and After

I forgot to mention that I already have tubular upper A arms in the car, but not the ones you offer. If the corrected geometry arms make a big difference, then they're worth it to me.

I currently run the C-body tie rods.

I have a good shop for alignment - Bagge & Sons in Culver City, recommended to me by autoxcuda of CPW fame.

What would help me the most, quite honestly, is for someone who knows their stuff to ride or drive my car and make recommendations. I actually called Hotchkis last week and asked if that service was available, or if you'd be hosting any performance clinics. I was transfered to a voice mail and left a message, but have not heard back yet.

I'm not afraid to spend the money, but I need some insight into the value/improvement I'll be getting from the product. I don't like shooting in the dark.

Jim

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #668790
04/13/10 09:12 PM
04/13/10 09:12 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

Do they lower the point where they attach to the control arm? Are they ajustable to your ride height? The tie rod ends that Hotchis sells is not to beef up the tie rod ends. They are there to correct the bumpsteer.

Doing this maybe a worth while upgrade, esp if your concern is bumpsteer.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: HealthServices] #668791
04/13/10 10:06 PM
04/13/10 10:06 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline OP
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline OP
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Do they lower the point where they attach to the control arm? Are they ajustable to your ride height? The tie rod ends that Hotchis sells is not to beef up the tie rod ends. They are there to correct the bumpsteer.

Doing this maybe a worth while upgrade, esp if your concern is bumpsteer.

Well, yeah, they don't do any of that. I was just adding what I forgot to put in my opening post.

I want to get my car to ride and handle the best it possibly can, within reason. I just want to see some kind of cost/benefit beforehand.

Jim

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #668792
04/13/10 11:23 PM
04/13/10 11:23 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
I just have the arms so far, and for me there is a noticeable difference. I think my only gripe is one of the dust boots fell off during one of the adjustments. It did not even make it around the block before this happened. And I'm afraid that I will have to remove the arm just to re-attach the boot.

I hope this is not going to be a re-occurring problem. These are 'Made in America' right?

5924454-DSC05190.jpg (64 downloads)

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: HealthServices] #668793
04/13/10 11:30 PM
04/13/10 11:30 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Although I picked mine up, they were packed very well.

5924469-arms.jpg (64 downloads)

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: HealthServices] #668794
04/13/10 11:35 PM
04/13/10 11:35 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
I ended up doing my own alignment. I just dropped a plumb bob from the lower ball joint, Chalked up 20 degrees...

I'm sure the actual pivot point is a inch or so out from this point depending on the the location of the upper ball joint but this will give me a estimate and good starting point.

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: HealthServices] #668795
04/13/10 11:41 PM
04/13/10 11:41 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
I used a wheel dolley or gojak (on all 4 tires to make car level) for a turn table and I had a old Camber caster guage I used. You can get these for less than $200 in the off brands. Before I thought of using the wheel dollies for turn tables, I was going to use some tile pieces with grease between them. I also had a friend with some real turn tables but it turned out the balls were worn out.

Oh, I have aluminum hubs so the guage would not stick on the hubs without some help.

I guess I should have asked 68HemiB to give me a hand but I'm a little stubborn about working by myself sometimes.

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: HealthServices] #668796
04/13/10 11:53 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Before

5924509-driversbe.jpg (67 downloads)

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: HealthServices] #668797
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
After

5924511-drivers.jpg (81 downloads)

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #668798
04/14/10 12:08 AM
04/14/10 12:08 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

What would help me the most, quite honestly, is for someone who knows their stuff to ride or drive my car and make recommendations. I actually called Hotchkis last week and asked if that service was available, or if you'd be hosting any performance clinics. I was transfered to a voice mail and left a message, but have not heard back yet.

I'm not afraid to spend the money, but I need some insight into the value/improvement I'll be getting from the product. I don't like shooting in the dark.

Jim

I think that is a good idea. I bet your issue or more non bump steer related. Like shocks.

I think you could get the Hotchkis shocks for around $400 for 4. Not hard to install yourself, and you wouldn't need to re-align the car or pay labor to install the uppers.

Maybe bring your car out to Spring Fling and maybe after 1pm when the midway activity dies down some someone there could could drive it? Just a suggestion.

You can drive mine after 2pm or so. But I don't have any Hotchkis stuff on my car though.

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: autoxcuda] #668799
04/14/10 12:54 AM
04/14/10 12:54 AM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline OP
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline OP
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Jim

I think that is a good idea. I bet your issue or more non bump steer related. Like shocks.

I think you could get the Hotchkis shocks for around $400 for 4. Not hard to install yourself, and you wouldn't need to re-align the car or pay labor to install the uppers.

Maybe bring your car out to Spring Fling and maybe after 1pm when the midway activity dies down some someone there could could drive it? Just a suggestion.

You can drive mine after 2pm or so. But I don't have any Hotchkis stuff on my car though.

Hmmm, possibly. This year I'll be bringing my Road Runner to the Spring Fling, but maybe I can bring the RR on Saturday and the Satellite on Sunday, assuming someone is there to assess the Satellite.

Jim

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A a [Re: JF_Moparts] #668800
04/14/10 01:07 AM
04/14/10 01:07 AM
In the twisties
R
RokketRide Offline
super gas
RokketRide  Offline
super gas
R

In the twisties
Yeah, assuming you can locate him, he'll be running around like a crazy person all weekend!

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #668801
04/14/10 01:46 AM
04/14/10 01:46 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Hmmm, possibly. This year I'll be bringing my Road Runner to the Spring Fling, but maybe I can bring the RR on Saturday and the Satellite on Sunday, assuming someone is there to assess the Satellite.

Jim

Maybe talk to the Hotchkis guys on Saturday and see if you could set a time or something up for Sunday.

Quote:

Yeah, assuming you can locate him, he'll be running around like a crazy person all weekend!

This is true. But by 1-2pm on Saturday I've calmed down a bit.

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: JF_Moparts] #668802
04/14/10 02:30 PM
04/14/10 02:30 PM
Sante Fe Springs, CA
H
Hotchkis Offline
enthusiast
Hotchkis  Offline
enthusiast
H

Sante Fe Springs, CA
We'll be at the Fling both days, so come talk to Drew on Sat and see if you can set up time to look at your car on Sunday.

Elana's blue Challenger had C-body tie rods and while they are beefier, they aren't adjustable, and when we swapped in the Hotchkis parts, the car drove much straighter. She said she noticed it especially on the dragstrip, where the car used to move around at mid track, it now goes totally straight. She'll be at the show, and is usually pretty willing to let people drive her car.

Health Services - All the parts are made in the US. Have you called the tech line about your dust boot?

Re: Has anyone used the Hotchkis geometry-corrected A arms? [Re: Hotchkis] #668803
04/14/10 02:44 PM
04/14/10 02:44 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Have not yet, still on my lift after changing the u joints yesterday. I'll call right now.