Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

They make carb'd intakes for new Hemi's so I don't see why not.

You don't see why you can't simply remove a stepper motor from the system because you don't know, or want to know, how EFI and ECUs work. Your answer to everything is a carburetor, and that's not what the OP is trying to do here.

oh boy you again....I know how it all works. I was stating that there are intakes and carbs on the market for this application, if one wants to do away with the drive by wire. I didn't even get into mounts, exhaust, x-member, trans tunnel and all the other mods that will need to be done to install that driveline in an old e-body.

maybe he should read the post about EFI'ing a 5.9 before he tries to tackle this "upgrade"

I would think that you could replace the drive by wire with a cable. The engine is not going to know if it is being opened up by a cable via your right foot or a solenoid/servo via a wire.
People see these fancy nice cars in magazine and think wow that's cool I should do that. But most have no idea on how expensive and challenging the work will be. That needs to be considered before one spends dime one.

Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: Mr.Yuck] #667735
04/15/10 07:57 AM
04/15/10 07:57 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

I would think that you could replace the drive by wire with a cable. The engine is not going to know if it is being opened up by a cable via your right foot or a solenoid/servo via a wire.
People see these fancy nice cars in magazine and think wow that's cool I should do that.

It may not know how it opened, but it will know if it opens improperly compared to what was commanded. If the ECU is sending a command to a stepper motor, it corresponds to a certain throttle opening, which is fed back via a TPS signal. (I have heard some DBW systems have 2 TPS for redundancy).

If that TPS signal doesn't match the command, which it probably won't because the TPS signal is now coming from a cable-controlled TB, do you think the ECU will just ignore it? No, it will have some response, and I'd bet that response will involve a commanded drop in engien power. It's a safety issue.

It's already been mentioned that the throttle lag was programed in for drivetrain protection, so the ECM is expecting a lag in TPS feedback. MAF and MAP would confirm that throttle opening exceeded command.

This retrofit is significantly tougher than a 5.0->5.9, which is 20-year old EFI stuff.

Quote:

But most have no idea on how expensive and challenging the work will be. That needs to be considered before one spends dime one.

I think most of these responders know that and are trying to help. Your most frequent response to most of these questions is 'put a carb on it', which does not come across as helping someone be aware of, or work thru, the challenges that lay ahead. IMHO you should explain your POV instead of just throwing out an answer with no explanation.

On top of that, the carb induction then requires an aftermarket ECU for ignition control.

Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: Fury Fan] #667736
04/15/10 08:17 AM
04/15/10 08:17 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Fury, Zippy pretty much said the same thing.

"I'm not a naysayer and I like EFI, you can do this any number of ways depending on what makes sense to you..But I have to say I'm also partial to a carb setup because it reduces the cost and complexity so much. You get a carb which you probably already have, an intake, msd box, msd harness, and you're done...it runs, and you can set the timing and fuel anywhere you want whenever you want instead of sending the OE computer out and hoping they get it right which does not happen every time."

That's great if you can get all this to work. You know yor stuff and I'm sure you know how to make it all work. It is a very complex swap. People equate EFI to move drivable. Any well tuned carb'd engine is just as effefficient, drivable and dependable. The OP's post was about drive by wire, I suggested using a carb becuase it is going to save him lots of time and money. Carbs are not for every application, I'd like to build a boosted 440 next that will have EFI. I probably would have on this build but I'm at 11:1 so I spent my money on the 6-pack.

Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: pishta] #667737
04/15/10 04:17 PM
04/15/10 04:17 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

I cant answer this but I got a question, why would you want this? Seeing Toyota has their issues with runaway throttles...I would trust a cable over a wire. good luck on what ever you choose, and be safe.

I agree, for that reason I’d rather have a cable.

About 10 years ago at my last job I needed to install a remote foot throttle on a GMC truck (one of the last 454s, and it was DBW EFI) and the PTO provisions in the ECM were not configured for a variable throttle. So we took a 2nd footpedal and wired relays in each of the TPS wires -- each relay switched between the corresponding wire on one pedal or the other. All the relays were triggered by the same circuit (with a few safety interlocks), and they switched over so quickly that the engine ECM didn’t know the difference.

I told you all of that so when I tell you all of this it’ll make more sense:
I would bet that a person could install one (or several) normally-closed relays inline with 'something' on the engine and wire those relays to open via a 'kill' switch on the dash. Perhaps in the power wires to the throttle stepper motor (assuming there is a return spring somewhere), perhaps in the power to the injectors (some or all), maybe to the fuel pump (although that could cause a few seconds of lean AFs and possible engine damage, but if the throttle runs away for some reason I think that could be a smaller concern). If a crafty person put some thought to it I’d bet he could create a simple electrical circuit that would allow you to kick the engine into reduced power or a closed throttle.

Probably should go for the reduced power in case you get stuck on railroad tracks.

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Dealer Information [Re: ledft79] #667738
04/15/10 04:23 PM
04/15/10 04:23 PM
Columbus, OH
SixBBL69Boy Offline
enthusiast
SixBBL69Boy  Offline
enthusiast

Columbus, OH
Looking for anyone that may own or have info on a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer named Bill Swad Chrysler/Plymouth in Columbus Ohio on Hamilton Road. My dads car was sold new there and need to know the address and dealer number. Any help would be great. PM or email sixbbl69@hotmail.com Thanks Jason

Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: Mr.Yuck] #667739
04/15/10 09:47 PM
04/15/10 09:47 PM
minot north dakota
ledft79 Offline OP
mopar
ledft79  Offline OP
mopar

minot north dakota
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They make carb'd intakes for new Hemi's so I don't see why not.

You don't see why you can't simply remove a stepper motor from the system because you don't know, or want to know, how EFI and ECUs work. Your answer to everything is a carburetor, and that's not what the OP is trying to do here.

oh boy you again....I know how it all works. I was stating that there are intakes and carbs on the market for this application, if one wants to do away with the drive by wire. I didn't even get into mounts, exhaust, x-member, trans tunnel and all the other mods that will need to be done to install that driveline in an old e-body.

maybe he should read the post about EFI'ing a 5.9 before he tries to tackle this "upgrade"

People see these fancy nice cars in magazine and think wow that's cool I should do that. But most have no idea on how expensive and challenging the work will be. That needs to be considered before one spends dime one.

I have researched many articles on any thing that has to do with this swap. I know most of what I am in for, but I have not found any articles that address the D.B.W. issue. Probably because it realy is not an issue, the way it sounds. That being said, I have never attempted any project that even comes close to this magnitude. I feel confident that I can pull it off with the help of all of you brainiacs, [and I mean that in a good way]. I read Moparts Q&A almost every night, and I am impressed with the amount of knowledge that is shared here every day. I just wish that all of you were my neighbors so you could come over and show me, in person, the things that are way over my head when I read them on here.

DRIVE EM, DONT HIDE EM.
Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: Fury Fan] #667740
04/15/10 09:49 PM
04/15/10 09:49 PM
minot north dakota
ledft79 Offline OP
mopar
ledft79  Offline OP
mopar

minot north dakota
Quote:

Quote:

I cant answer this but I got a question, why would you want this? Seeing Toyota has their issues with runaway throttles...I would trust a cable over a wire. good luck on what ever you choose, and be safe.

I would probably trust a cable over a wire also, but it is not a Toyota so I should be safe. If I do have a run away throttle, then I guess I'll get to see if I can still drive like I use to.

I agree, for that reason I’d rather have a cable.

About 10 years ago at my last job I needed to install a remote foot throttle on a GMC truck (one of the last 454s, and it was DBW EFI) and the PTO provisions in the ECM were not configured for a variable throttle. So we took a 2nd footpedal and wired relays in each of the TPS wires -- each relay switched between the corresponding wire on one pedal or the other. All the relays were triggered by the same circuit (with a few safety interlocks), and they switched over so quickly that the engine ECM didn’t know the difference.

I told you all of that so when I tell you all of this it’ll make more sense:
I would bet that a person could install one (or several) normally-closed relays inline with 'something' on the engine and wire those relays to open via a 'kill' switch on the dash. Perhaps in the power wires to the throttle stepper motor (assuming there is a return spring somewhere), perhaps in the power to the injectors (some or all), maybe to the fuel pump (although that could cause a few seconds of lean AFs and possible engine damage, but if the throttle runs away for some reason I think that could be a smaller concern). If a crafty person put some thought to it I’d bet he could create a simple electrical circuit that would allow you to kick the engine into reduced power or a closed throttle.

Probably should go for the reduced power in case you get stuck on railroad tracks.

There is not chance that I am ever going to engineer any thing electrical like that. I have a guy for the electrical end of every thing. It is staying EFI for sure. [no carb] I was concidering using a 440, but even that was going to get upgraded to an EFI set up. Also, what motors are classified as a stepper motors? That term is new to me.

DRIVE EM, DONT HIDE EM.
Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: ledft79] #667741
04/16/10 03:00 AM
04/16/10 03:00 AM
Temecula, CA
D
Dukes69 Offline
Dukes69  Offline
D

Temecula, CA
Quote:

Also, what motors are classified as a stepper motors? That term is new to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

Good luck with the swap. I'll be doing a cable actuated 6.1 here shortly.

Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: Dukes69] #667742
04/16/10 07:59 AM
04/16/10 07:59 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
A 440 EFI set up would be much much much easier, cheaper and you'd probably end up w/ more HP and torque.

http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/

Last edited by Mr.Yuck; 04/16/10 08:02 AM.
Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: Mr.Yuck] #667743
04/16/10 09:08 AM
04/16/10 09:08 AM
Almont, MI.
gdemon Offline
enthusiast
gdemon  Offline
enthusiast

Almont, MI.
Mine is drive by wire. I went with the black box under hood from and 04 ram. I couldnt come up with a way to mount the electronic pedal that felt comfortable to me. You can see the box in the pic by the power brake booster.

69 Barracuda 70 Cuda 70 Cuda 70 Cuda Conv. 70 T/A Challenger 70 Sport Fury GT 71 Demon 5.7 Hemi 72 Demon
Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: gdemon] #667744
04/16/10 11:32 AM
04/16/10 11:32 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
And that's the easiest solution to DBW right there. The 'truck box' also allows a person to connect a KD cable to a hydraulically-controlled trans if they want.

Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: gdemon] #667745
04/16/10 09:35 PM
04/16/10 09:35 PM
minot north dakota
ledft79 Offline OP
mopar
ledft79  Offline OP
mopar

minot north dakota
Quote:

Mine is drive by wire. I went with the black box under hood from and 04 ram. I couldnt come up with a way to mount the electronic pedal that felt comfortable to me. You can see the box in the pic by the power brake booster.

So this black box under the hood that is from an 04 ram, I was under the impression that the ram pedal was all that I was after. So, your original pedal operates the black box that was removed from the Ram. If the electric pedal is used, do I still need the black box, or does the black box replace the electric pedal. My motor and trans are out of an 04 ram. Now I am confused again, did the ram come with an electronic pedal, or just the black box, or both. Every one that I have talked to has told me about the electric pedal. This is the first that I have ever heard about a black box. I'm sory that I am so ignorant on this, but I have never had, nor seen a drive by wire set up before. I've only owened a couple of cars new enough to even have EFI.

DRIVE EM, DONT HIDE EM.
Re: Drive by wire in an E body [Re: ledft79] #667746
04/17/10 08:01 AM
04/17/10 08:01 AM
Almont, MI.
gdemon Offline
enthusiast
gdemon  Offline
enthusiast

Almont, MI.
The 04 ram should of had the Black box. You have to use the black box or and electronic pedal from a car or a newer ram. If you allready have your harness you need to know what it was made for because the wires will be in the wrong place and the connector might be different. I dont think the rams went to the electronic pedal until 05.Im using the stock gas pedal with a modified cable to attach to the balck box.

Last edited by gdemon; 04/17/10 08:02 AM.

69 Barracuda 70 Cuda 70 Cuda 70 Cuda Conv. 70 T/A Challenger 70 Sport Fury GT 71 Demon 5.7 Hemi 72 Demon
Page 2 of 2 1 2