04/06/10 06:38 PM
04/06/10 06:38 PM
A
Andrewh Online content OP
master
Andrewh  Online Content OP
master
A

http://www.dodgetrucks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78783&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Old post and very much like how feets talked about efi'ing a BB. Using the 5.0 ford computers and wiring.
The catch is still the distributer. But I was wondering if anyone knows what the ford one does.

The painless setup I have put a shutter wheel in the distributer to give it the crank position. Would that work for this so no new machining would be necessary?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662656
04/06/10 08:09 PM
04/06/10 08:09 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Wouldn't it be easier to use a year of ford harness that runs edis-8 instead of a distributor? Hanging a 36-1 trigger wheel off the crank is a well documented mod. Then basically all your distributor is doing is holding down your oil pump drive shaft.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #662657
04/06/10 08:30 PM
04/06/10 08:30 PM
A
master
master
A

I guess that seems more complex to me adding a trigger wheel.

I like the fact it is all in the distributer. Less add on's to the engine, less aftermarket parts to buy vs a junkyard pull.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662658
04/06/10 08:55 PM
04/06/10 08:55 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

I guess that seems more complex to me adding a trigger wheel.

I like the fact it is all in the distributer. Less add on's to the engine, less aftermarket parts to buy vs a junkyard pull.

Well the trigger wheel setup would be 100% junkyard parts. You take the ring and add it to your crank pulley. Then you make a bracket to hold the trigger sensor. If you're not good at fabbing you can buy this stuff pre-made even. But the mods to do it yourself are well documented, seems like a no-brainer to me, edis-4, -6 and -8 systems have been added to piles of vehicles. Many instructions on the net on how to do it as well as the megasquirt forums. The thing I like about the edis system is you can test it out with your carb. If the edis system is unplugged or fails to get a signal from the engine computer, it defaults to 10* btdc as a limp-home measure. But if the distributor is what you want, go for it, just bare in mind that 99% of the focus from others on modding for ignitions to other applications is going to be the edis stuff.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #662659
04/06/10 09:18 PM
04/06/10 09:18 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I am not entirely sure about the Ford system but could you use the factory Magnum Crank Sensor on the flexplate setup?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: IMGTX] #662660
04/06/10 09:36 PM
04/06/10 09:36 PM
A
master
master
A

While that would work with the stock magnum computer, I don't think it will work here. But again it comes down to what is the output of that distributer vs the other choices.

The other main draw back was the whole transmission thing to me for using the stock crank sensor.

IF you kept the 518, then it isn't a problem. But if you went with a different trans Like I did, keeping the 727, then it becomes a bit different I think.

The b&m flex plate replaces the stock magnum one for the neutral balanced torque converter. I was never clear on this, but my guess would be having to replace the torque converter to allow use of the stock flex plate at that point.

This just seemed to be a cleaner way, and allow you to use any of the magnums instead of the 95 and earlier for the simple ecu. or making your own from mega squirt.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662661
04/07/10 01:04 AM
04/07/10 01:04 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
I'll probably be doing the EEC-IV swap onto my truck at some point.

www.fordfuelinjection.com has a lot of information on the system. There are also some links to other forums.

I have a buddy with a 91 crown vic I was going to take the harness and sensors out of. After I pull the distributor I'll see what it takes to make it work in a mopar. The one guy took the mopar and ford dizzy to his machinist and said 'make it fit' I figure I should be able to come with something to make it work.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662662
04/08/10 11:59 AM
04/08/10 11:59 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
A carb will be cheaper and make more power, you just need to get it tuned right. There, now that’s out of the way.

I’ve looked into the 5.0 retrofit a lot too, and it does offer the opportunity to be cheaper for an ECU than the nearest competitor (which is Megasquirt). Yes, it’s been done, and yes, the distributor is the hard part. I believe I’ve found a simpler solution but haven’t had time to confirm it yet.

distributor
The main difference between the 5.0 dizzy and most Mopar dizzys: Mopar has a VR sensor and 5.0 dizzy uses Hall Effect. The guts of the 5.0 are too different to swap into a Mopar housing unless you have a lathe or mill to make some accurate adaptation pieces. For a drillpress guy like me, that route’s a no-go.

I’ve heard of guys cutting/welding the Ford top to the Mopar bottom, splicing shafts together, grinding a flat tang onto a Ford shaft, etc, but concerns for shaft runout, hardness compatibility to the oil pump drive shaft, and long-term durability concern me with those methods. It would be a real downer to have a hardness mismatch or a wobble make metal shavings in the engine. Along the way I discovered a Hall sensor and shutter wheel for the Mopar dizzy housing, now I need to figure out how it fits the BB shaft. Need to figure out which shaft is better to use - from either points or electronic dizzy.

Next:
The Ford ECM reportedly looks at the distance/time between rising/falling edges on the shutter wheel and it may not like the Mopar Hall sensor signal due to difference in diameter of wheel. I have compared Ford and Mopar wheels in Autocad and believe the wheel can be modified to emulate the Ford wheel a little better. I also have an idea on how to compare them electrically -- I simply need some spare time to wire up a TFI system to generate the signal, then I would use my Megasquirt to datalog and compare them. Here’s the biggie, though - since I have a Megasquirt system I’m working on, fiddling with a 5.0 system got put on the backburner.

speed-density or mass-air? You’ll have to decide whether to use SD or MA for this conversion. MA usually gets the quickest nod, partially from internet lore from Mustang circles regarding its flexibility, and also the allure of ‘sequential’.

However, I’ll propose SD instead – it’s a little older and ‘cruder’ and therefore I think it would be less sensitive to the VE difference between a 5.0 and a bigblock Mopar. The newer the ECU, the more sophisticated it is, the more emissions strategies it has, and the less likely you can ‘trick’ it with fuel pressure adjustments or resistors on the sensors. (Plus a MA sensor is nearly impossible to do a stealth installation with, and you’ll need an 80mm-ish size, which is an aftermarket piece. ($))

Here’s my theory:
Sequential EEC can conceivably look at the time between a cylinder firing and the result from the O2 sensor (at any particular RPM). It knows which cylinder is firing and possibly its distance to the sensor, and it makes adjustments based on that. Sequential is also more sensitive to cam and ignition timing (firing order) – reportedly it’s not a big deal on Fords if the order doesn’t match, but why go to the extra effort of MA if sequential’s benefit is lost? ,

If you use SD, though, it injects and makes adjustments bank-bank, so I think it will place less importance on instantaneous O2 sensor readings and O2 sensor location. Also, running bank-bank SD removes the low-RPM importance of Mopar vs Ford valve timing, i.e. timing the injection on the closed intake valve. (and we all know that sequential’s closed-valve benefit disappears as RPMS increase, right?)

I read somewhere that EEC can only adjust fueling +/- 12.5%. In our retrofit scheme, injector size and fuel pressure adjustments will make up for crude across-the-board fueling differences for the increased displacement and MAP, and EEC can then adjust as much as possible for the subtle differences in the VE curves between engines.

EDIS was mentioned.
Although EDIS circumvents the dizzy retrofit, it introduces a trigger wheel retrofit, which might be just as difficult from a fabrication standpoint. Also, it requires newer EECs, which are more likely to be OBD2 and have a bunch of extra stuff in them like electronic trans control, ABS, etc. Yes, that stuff can be turned off via a re-flash or a Tweecer, but that’s $$. The more you spend on this Ford system the closer you are to the cost of a fully-programmable Megasquirt IMHO.

Here are my favorite 5.0 links:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28401.0
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/EECIVInnerWorkings/
http://www.my5oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=225#225
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=7247.0
http://www.detomaso.nu/~thomast/efi/

I’ve you’ve read this far, you’ve earned a cookie! I have lots more info compiled, if there’s interest I’ll throw more info out. But right now… my hands hurt…

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662663
04/08/10 12:05 PM
04/08/10 12:05 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
I saw a BB reference and got sidetracked somewhat. If doing a smallblock, why not just use a 92-95 Maggie system?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662664
04/08/10 12:18 PM
04/08/10 12:18 PM
A
master
master
A

The problem with the early mag setup is the computer won't let you do any upgrades.

This would allow some upgrades without adding much more to the efi system, and let you run a newer engine.

The painless system uses the shutter wheel and halls effect sensor. Just not sure how it matches up to the ford system, or if it would be helpfull to anyone to make a few more of them.
It just drops into the mag distributer.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662665
04/08/10 12:32 PM
04/08/10 12:32 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Save your money, your hair (because you will pull it all out trying to rig that), and time. Buy a carb and be done. EFI will not give you any perfromance upgrades over a carb.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662666
04/08/10 12:43 PM
04/08/10 12:43 PM
A
master
master
A

While I agree for the most part, efi won't give you perfomance over a carb, it does offer quite a few benifits.

It has take 2 years to get my car drivable with the painless system. but I have driven it more now with it hooked up in one week then I did when it was carbed for a whole year.

I get in and know it is going to start. I can stop and not worry about it dying at a light.
As a cruiser it is very important that it be more reliable then the power factor.

It has died on me once, but when it was carbed it died multiple times a year.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662667
04/08/10 01:12 PM
04/08/10 01:12 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Save your money, your hair (because you will pull it all out trying to rig that), and time. Buy a carb and be done. EFI will not give you any perfromance upgrades over a carb.

And here comes Yuck, trying to save us from ourselves, by dropping his 'carbs are the best' turd in yet another informative EFI discussion.

Some of us want to try new things and like challenges. If you don't want to try new technology, or help others that do, why not stay out of the way???

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662668
04/08/10 01:24 PM
04/08/10 01:24 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

The painless system uses the shutter wheel and halls effect sensor. Just not sure how it matches up to the ford system, or if it would be helpfull to anyone to make a few more of them.
It just drops into the mag distributer.

Did Painless make special parts for that, then? I would be interested in seeing how that wheel compares geometrically to the Ford wheel or to the Mopar stuff.

I believe the Hall output is fixed in voltage and is rectified, so the timing of rise/fall is the only important thing. You would need to tie that Painless sensor into the Ford TFI sub-system, and a remote TFI from a 90s truck or T-Bird would make that much easier.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662669
04/08/10 01:27 PM
04/08/10 01:27 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

While I agree for the most part, efi won't give you perfomance over a carb, it does offer quite a few benifits.

I get in and know it is going to start. I can stop and not worry about it dying at a light.
As a cruiser it is very important that it be more reliable then the power factor.

The main reason I want to go EFI on my truck is for drive-ability and reliability. Know that it will always start, idle well, re-start when warm, etc. Currently I have to let it warm up for 10 minutes before I can put it in gear to move it. The idle is also inconsistent (750 sometimes, 1100 other times). All stuff that can be fixed, likely with a new carb.

Since I can get the harness, sensors & dizzy for free, I could either spend $300 on a new carb (mine was a fleabay special ), or buy a Quarterhorse programmer and some elbow grease on top of the new engine build.

Quote:

The Ford ECM reportedly looks at the distance/time between rising/falling edges on the shutter wheel and it may not like the Mopar Hall sensor signal due to difference in diameter of wheel.

Wheel diameter won't make a difference in the timing. Even if the sensor is on the outside of the disc rather than the inside, they still come around at the same time. One of my products has an inductive sensor measuring the time between tabs on a coupler to get speed and distance (knowing the drum diameter). Big or small diameter, the results are the same.

I was tentatively planning on doing a Mass Air install. With the QH/Tweecer, you can change the firing (injection) order, fill in the actual displacement, set up the calibration for larger injectors & maf, etc. You can even change the advance curve.

I was under the impression that MA also did bank-bank adjustments like SD does.

I've looked a little bit at Megasquirt. But especially if we can get the mopar hall effect to work with the ford system, it would be easier (to me) to just install the new dizzy than to fab on the trigger wheel.

I hadn't seen half of those links you included. I'd definitely be interested in any other information you have.

Maybe today I'll pull the ford distributor and start looking it over.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662670
04/08/10 01:39 PM
04/08/10 01:39 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

It has take 2 years to get my car drivable with the painless system. but I have driven it more now with it hooked up in one week then I did when it was carbed for a whole year.

Well something must have been very wrong with your carb setup if that was the case. People daily drove cars for over half a century. I daily drive my thermoquad equiped 440 to work every day spring-fall. It's never died on me or left me stranded, only time I've ever stalled it is before I got the choke dialed in properly. Cold driveability is actually quite good, I typically fire it, let it warm up 30 seconds, kick it down and go, even on days when the temp is near freezing, a 30-60 second warm-up is all I do. Of course efi will still be better in that situation, however a well tuned carb is quite under-rated in terms of driveability. I stress the well tuned part, which generally are not, going by the guys on this board. I'm not putting efi down, I myself have a megasquirt, efi intake and all the parts to make it work but I still waffle as to whether I want to go through with it because a well tuned carb is actually quite decent, and a lot less effort.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662671
04/08/10 01:44 PM
04/08/10 01:44 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

And here comes Yuck, trying to save us from ourselves, by dropping his 'carbs are the best' turd in yet another informative EFI discussion.

Some of us want to try new things and like challenges. If you don't want to try new technology, or help others that do, why not stay out of the way???

I am trying to help him. There is no easy cheap way to EFI an old mopar. If you grabbed everything for the host vehicle, that'd be the best way to go. If you have added any perfromace upgrades it will not work so you have to start chopping and piecing things together, that get's expesive and tricky as you go. Most of us do not have the skills to set up and computerize EFI set-up. If a person can't tune a carb how the heck is he/she going to fab up a EFI system??? There is zero need for an EFI set-up on most of these muscle cars. Any benfit in mpg's or "drivablity" is crushed by the cost of the EFI system.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662672
04/08/10 01:46 PM
04/08/10 01:46 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

I suggest you get a book on carb tuning or have somebody help you. A car should'nt "die" w/ or w/o a carb.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662673
04/08/10 01:50 PM
04/08/10 01:50 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Wheel diameter won't make a difference in the timing. Even if the sensor is on the outside of the disc rather than the inside, they still come around at the same time. One of my products has an inductive sensor measuring the time between tabs on a coupler to get speed and distance (knowing the drum diameter). Big or small diameter, the results are the same.

Agreed, angular velocity is the same for a given engine RPM. However, teh Ford and Mopar shutter wheels have different tooth and gap widths, which affects timing of the rise/fall signals to teh EEC. Also, the 'oddball' tooth that it uses to sense #1 is different, and it's surely clocked in a different spot on the shaft because Ford and Mopar denote different cylinders as #1.

With the proper clocking it might work OK as-is, I just didn't get that far as I'm still waiting to put the wheel on a bigblock dizzy shaft. Otherwise, I believe the Mopar wheel could be modified to emulate the Ford teeth.

Quote:

I was under the impression that MA also did bank-bank adjustments like SD does.

It might, the info on the differences between SD and MA is sometimes fuzzy. To me it wouldn't make sense to fire an injector individually but then correct a whole bank at one time. But maybe that's what they did???

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662674
04/08/10 02:05 PM
04/08/10 02:05 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

Agreed, angular velocity is the same for a given engine RPM. However, teh Ford and Mopar shutter wheels have different tooth and gap widths, which affects timing of the rise/fall signals to teh EEC. Also, the 'oddball' tooth that it uses to sense #1 is different, and it's surely clocked in a different spot on the shaft because Ford and Mopar denote different cylinders as #1.

With the proper clocking it might work OK as-is, I just didn't get that far as I'm still waiting to put the wheel on a bigblock dizzy shaft. Otherwise, I believe the Mopar wheel could be modified to emulate the Ford teeth.

Ahh, yep, that would make a difference for sure. Is the wheel just a disc, and not a stamped 3D thing? If it's just a disc, it seems like it would be straightforward to design a new one and have a water jet cut it out.

I recall reading somewhere that it does sequential injection at lower RPMs to help with idle quality, then above some set RPM it transitions to bank fire??

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #662675
04/08/10 02:59 PM
04/08/10 02:59 PM
detroit, mi
POS Dakota Offline
super stock
POS Dakota  Offline
super stock

detroit, mi
Quote:

Quote:

Well something must have been very wrong with your carb setup if that was the case. People daily drove cars for over half a century. I daily drive my thermoquad equiped 440 to work every day spring-fall. It's never died on me or left me stranded, only time I've ever stalled it is before I got the choke dialed in properly. Cold driveability is actually quite good, I typically fire it, let it warm up 30 seconds, kick it down and go, even on days when the temp is near freezing, a 30-60 second warm-up is all I do. Of course efi will still be better in that situation, however a well tuned carb is quite under-rated in terms of driveability. I stress the well tuned part, which generally are not, going by the guys on this board. I'm not putting efi down, I myself have a megasquirt, efi intake and all the parts to make it work but I still waffle as to whether I want to go through with it because a well tuned carb is actually quite decent, and a lot less effort.

Exactly!!! When I was younger I do not recall cars constantly stalling at lights, or anyone complaining they couldn't drive them. they all drove fine.

And it's not like that's changed.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662676
04/08/10 04:13 PM
04/08/10 04:13 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

I am trying to help him. There is no easy cheap way to EFI an old mopar. If you grabbed everything for the host vehicle, that'd be the best way to go. If you have added any perfromace upgrades it will not work so you have to start chopping and piecing things together, that get's expesive and tricky as you go.

It’s getting cheaper and easier as the years go by because 1: more EFI cars are in the junkyards, and 2: more people attempt and discuss how to retrofit it. The reason I jumped on you was you basically just said 'don't do it' but didn’t offer an alternative solution. Nobody here said it had to be cheap or easy. You have a SC on one of your cars, right? That’s not cheap or easy – imagine if there was somebody who always tried to stop you from doing that – you would not have achieved it.

Quote:

Most of us do not have the skills to set up and computerize EFI set-up. If a person can't tune a carb how the heck is he/she going to fab up a EFI system???

True, lots of folks don't have the skills, but please identify who those people in this thread are. Maybe I’m one of them, I always thought I was OK with carbs, then I got a wideband and realized how bad my AF was on a carb that ‘felt’ like it drove well. I’ve got a buddy that’s ‘good with carbs’, his run fine when they’re cold with no choke, and he thinks that’s fine simply because it runs smooth. He wastes fuel – but not enough to blacken the plugs, so it’s OK for him. I think there are a lot of people out there like that. The performance and economy of their cars is less than it could be but they don’t know any different.
Quote:

There is zero need for an EFI set-up on most of these muscle cars. Any benfit in mpg's or "drivablity" is crushed by the cost of the EFI system.

You are correct, there is no ‘need’ for most people, it’s a ‘want’ -- just like other things. Drum brakes and points ignitions and single-field alternators are quite functional, yet people install discs and halogen headlights and MSD boxes and other stuff. Because we want to.

As another example:
All of my cars have at least 100K on the engines, and they really respond to more ignition timing when they are cold. They don’t need it when they are warmed up, and they sure don’t need it on a hot re-start. So as a ‘tuner’, I installed an MSD6 and an adjustable timing module, and it worked great. But I have to turn the knob by hand to advance/retard it, and I sure need to remember to retard it when it’s warmed up, which is a PITA for forgetting. An EFI system can do all that automatically.

Now, back to the discussion…

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662677
04/08/10 04:21 PM
04/08/10 04:21 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Is the wheel just a disc, and not a stamped 3D thing? If it's just a disc, it seems like it would be straightforward to design a new one and have a water jet cut it out.

It's kinda like an upside down tuna can with some notches cut out from the bottom. I put both wheels in CAD, overlayed them, and aligned the #1 tooth. Based on drawing 16 angular lines from the center of the Mopar circle (aligned with rising/falling edges), I believe some simple work with a file can get the Dodge wheel pretty close to the Ford wheel -- at least close enough to make it worth a try.

Quote:

I recall reading somewhere that it does sequential injection at lower RPMs to help with idle quality, then above some set RPM it transitions to bank fire??

I don't know if the EEC makes an actual switch in strategy or not, but mathematically any engine, based on RPM, valve timing, and injector size will eventually 'fade' to where the injector cannot physically inject enough fuel, quickly enough, during the degrees of open intake valve.

Last edited by Fury Fan; 04/08/10 04:27 PM.
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662678
04/08/10 04:50 PM
04/08/10 04:50 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
I'll be watching this as I would like EFI for potential fuel mileage benefits with the computer controlling timing and mix, and all season drivability.

my eddie 1406 is good, and I have it tweaked pretty well, but I have to tinker with the idle mix, pump shot, and change needles out between summer and winter fuel blends, the choke isn't always consistant in setting, and I have to sit and let it warm up for a few minutes in park if I don't want it to die putting it in gear in the winter when cold, etc.

I could get away with not having to do all that tweaking by running it 15% richer or so in the summer, but then I'd most likely drop fuel economy by at least a few MPG.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: patrick] #662679
04/08/10 04:56 PM
04/08/10 04:56 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
"You have a SC on one of your cars, right? That’s not cheap or easy – imagine if there was somebody who always tried to stop you from doing that – you would not have achieved it."

HAD wish I had it back... I hear what you are saying. I now spent money on a 6-pack, don't need it but I wanted it. My main point is EFI is really no better than a well tuned carb, but cost 6x as much. If you want EFI just say it, don't say you want it because it drives better or gets better milage. Just say It looks cool and I want to be different.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662680
04/08/10 05:17 PM
04/08/10 05:17 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

It's kinda like an upside down tuna can with some notches cut out from the bottom. I put both wheels in CAD, overlayed them, and aligned the #1 tooth. Based on drawing 16 angular lines from the center of the Mopar circle (aligned with rising/falling edges), I believe some simple work with a file can get the Dodge wheel pretty close to the Ford wheel -- at least close enough to make it worth a try.

ugh, that'd be hard to fab. I just called a pretty good machine/fabrication shop here. They can't take a flat piece and stamp it into a tuna can, but they think they could bend it into a circle and weld it to a top plate. Whether or not it would be balanced and true though...

What sensor and shutter wheel did you find?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662681
04/08/10 05:22 PM
04/08/10 05:22 PM
A
master
master
A

yes painless had a prototype piece made and gave it to me with the rest of the parts. Pins in under the sensor so you don't even see it when you pull the cap.

IF it would seriously help get more people moving along, I will go through the pain of pulling it for someone to study. The cuts in it are kind of crude as well, but it works.

It was a carbed 1965 poly 318 with the carter BBD.
Look it up, it was a crap carb. EVen bought a rebuilt one after trying to rebuild the original one on it. Helped some, but not a whole lot.

If I could have found a 4bbl intake for less then a new motor, I might have tried a holley and gotten it to run well, but that isn't really a choice. So I ditched the engine and carb when I could.

Even if the harness and computer had been free, it still cost me over 2k to do this conversion. So I agree it isn't financially worth it. But I sure like how it drives and when it is all said and done worth it.
BUT since it is a protype uint with no support, I think it pays to explore the other options.

And since they canceled the program, I think it wouldn't hurt to try and benifit the other people interested in doing this for all the effort.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662682
04/08/10 09:09 PM
04/08/10 09:09 PM
Ste-Sophie, Quebec, Canada
W
Wedgeman Offline
pro stock
Wedgeman  Offline
pro stock
W

Andrew...
I did the swap last year...remember me ?
It was nice running injection, mostly trouble free
starts, nice cruising.
As a long time Mopar fan, I never get enough of my engine and always want to upgade.....that's when I switched back to carb.

I was a nice experience.

Dan

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Wedgeman] #662683
04/08/10 10:32 PM
04/08/10 10:32 PM
A
master
master
A

Yep I remember.
I think this swap would have allowed you to keep the efi.

But I am also at the point that drivablilty is more important then speed.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662684
04/08/10 11:28 PM
04/08/10 11:28 PM
W
Wedgeman Offline
pro stock
Wedgeman  Offline
pro stock
W

In that case......you'll love it !
Good luck !

Dan
PS: getting rid of computor and harness...

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662685
04/09/10 08:05 AM
04/09/10 08:05 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

My main point is EFI is really no better than a well tuned carb, but cost 6x as much. If you want EFI just say it, don't say you want it because it drives better or gets better milage.

Gotta keep beating on the belief that a well-tuned carb is as good as EFI. It can work well and is cheaper/simpler. That's where the comparison ends.

As an example of what the 5.0 EEC does (other OEM systems may do it also):
With TPS = zero and engine RPM > 1500, pulsewidth ->> zero. What this means is when coasting above 1500 RPM, the fuel injectors are turned off.

Carbs can't do that, in fact my AF gauge shows my 440 goes at least 1 full point richer when coasting. I presume this is because of the very high vacuum and the closed throttle -- the above-idle engine speed sucks lots of fuel out of the idle circuit.

I have observed this phenomenom repeatedly with my Lincoln. When coasting down one particular long hill in town, I generally see 125+ MPG by the time I hit the bottom. Last time I tried it I put it in neutral (engien went to idle so the strategy turned off) and only got about 75.

Side note:
If retrofitting a 5.0 (or probably any other OEM system) make sure to integrate the Vehicle Speed Sensor as the EEC uses info from that for saving fuel and also for a good idle when coasting to a stop. This is described in the Pantera link I posted earler.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662686
04/09/10 08:45 AM
04/09/10 08:45 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

My main point is EFI is really no better than a well tuned carb, but cost 6x as much. If you want EFI just say it, don't say you want it because it drives better or gets better milage.

Gotta keep beating on the belief that a well-tuned carb is as good as EFI. It can work well and is cheaper/simpler. That's where the comparison ends.

As an example of what the 5.0 EEC does (other OEM systems may do it also):
With TPS = zero and engine RPM > 1500, pulsewidth ->> zero. What this means is when coasting above 1500 RPM, the fuel injectors are turned off.

Carbs can't do that, in fact my AF gauge shows my 440 goes at least 1 full point richer when coasting. I presume this is because of the very high vacuum and the closed throttle -- the above-idle engine speed sucks lots of fuel out of the idle circuit.

I have observed this phenomenom repeatedly with my Lincoln. When coasting down one particular long hill in town, I generally see 125+ MPG by the time I hit the bottom. Last time I tried it I put it in neutral (engien went to idle so the strategy turned off) and only got about 75.

Side note:
If retrofitting a 5.0 (or probably any other OEM system) make sure to integrate the Vehicle Speed Sensor as the EEC uses info from that for saving fuel and also for a good idle when coasting to a stop. This is described in the Pantera link I posted earler.

don't really care about mpg's or numbers like that. Maybe if it was 1977 and I had only a 440 car to drive I might have cared. I guess if I wanted more MPG's out of a 440 I'd go w/ a 4 speed O/D.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662687
04/09/10 11:23 AM
04/09/10 11:23 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Quote:

ugh, that'd be hard to fab. I just called a pretty good machine/fabrication shop here. They can't take a flat piece and stamp it into a tuna can, but they think they could bend it into a circle and weld it to a top plate. Whether or not it would be balanced and true though...

Unless they didn’t understand what you were describing, you need to find a different machine shop (or show them a sample wheel).

Some fab ideas I see:
Weld a flat plate to a piece of round tubing, then true it in a lathe -- true the bottom flat plate surface for mounting and the ID-OD surfaces for rotational clearance and then put in a center hole. Mark the slots and cut with a hacksaw, clean the cuts with a flat needle file. Or...

Get a solid piece of steel and machine the whole thing in a mill.

As the original piece is a stamping, either machining operation should hold tolerances A-OK. Might be expensive, but you could get there. Probably only need +/- 1/32” tolerances.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662688
04/09/10 02:32 PM
04/09/10 02:32 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

Side note:

Hmm, it looks like this would go inline with the speedo cable and generate the pulses to the ECU.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G2887-1/

I'm not worried about matching the pulses/mile exactly; I believe it mainly needs to know when it's moving and when it's not.

Re: making a wheel
Those ideas sound a lot more feasible. They did mention they'd like to see a sample wheel to get a better idea about it.

What mopar distributor did you find that has a similar wheel & sensor?

My car (88 Subaru) uses a flat disc with an optical sensor. I'd need to study the Ford wiring diagrams, but a signal is a signal; it doesn't matter if it came from a hall sensor or an optical sensor as long as the waveform is the same. May be able to find an even easier solution using a flat disc.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662689
04/09/10 04:03 PM
04/09/10 04:03 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
According to fordfuelinjection.com, the Ford VSS is 8 pulse/rev, and an assumed 8000 pulse/mile.

That sensor you linked to would be great in that it should plug right in to our speedo cables (but the thread pitch needs verified).

My jury is still out on whether the difference would be an issue. Using the Summit sensor would tell teh EEC that you're doing 10 mph when you're only doing 5, eventually you'll be stopped but EEC thinks you're still moving. I don't know how sensitive/critical it would be at walking speed (like creeping in a line of cars toward a 4-way stop). If it were reversed (sending a lower speed than actual) I'd be more confident it would be OK.

Quote:

What mopar distributor did you find that has a similar wheel & sensor?

As for the wheel and sensor:
I read 2-3 stories on 5.0-Mopar EFI and didn’t like those cut-n-splice dizzy conversions, so I disassembled 2 Ford and 3 Mopar dizzys. I spent several weeks of thinkin’, researchin’, junkyardin’ and CADdin’ on these trigger wheels trying to find a simpler solution. I looked for off-the-shelf adapter bushings to adapt the Ford wheel to the Mopar shaft but didn’t find anything that I thought would work well (and the sensor would be tough to mount, too). I’m not ready to put my findings out there yet, for the following 2 reasons.

#1: I don’t have a setup to compare/test the electrical output signals yet.

#2: I’m hoping you guys might come up with an even better idea . (For example, I never thought of using a flat disc!)

Chew on it for a while – what other autos might have shutter wheels & sensors, and how could we research those parts via the internet???

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662690
04/09/10 04:20 PM
04/09/10 04:20 PM
Texas
vynn3 Offline
mopar
vynn3  Offline
mopar

Texas
Quote:

don't really care about mpg's or numbers like that. Maybe if it was 1977 and I had only a 440 car to drive I might have cared. I guess if I wanted more MPG's out of a 440 I'd go w/ a 4 speed O/D.

Fine, that's absolutely your prerogative. But if that's the case, maybe you should refrain from posting to so many EFI threads that carbs are all any of us will ever need?

This is not just a "go-fast" forum. There are lots of folks here with different needs/desires than yours. Believe it or not, some of us use our old Mopars as <gasp!> daily drivers.

Now, back to the discussion on retrofitting EFI, please.

vm

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: vynn3] #662691
04/09/10 04:48 PM
04/09/10 04:48 PM
A
master
master
A

well darnit you make me want to dig out the shutter wheel to take pics and get dimentions for you.
cause like an idiot, I just assembled it without doing that.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662692
04/09/10 05:46 PM
04/09/10 05:46 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Online content
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Online Content
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662693
04/09/10 06:45 PM
04/09/10 06:45 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

According to fordfuelinjection.com, the Ford VSS is 8 pulse/rev, and an assumed 8000 pulse/mile.

That sensor you linked to would be great in that it should plug right in to our speedo cables (but the thread pitch needs verified).

My jury is still out on whether the difference would be an issue. Using the Summit sensor would tell teh EEC that you're doing 10 mph when you're only doing 5, eventually you'll be stopped but EEC thinks you're still moving. I don't know how sensitive/critical it would be at walking speed (like creeping in a line of cars toward a 4-way stop). If it were reversed (sending a lower speed than actual) I'd be more confident it would be OK.

Or just change the scalar in the ECU to 10mph instead of 5mph for when to stop fuel shutoff (highlighted cell)
http://screencast.com/t/YzZlYzVkYzEt

There is also VSCFRQ - Vehicle Speed sensor frequency, set to 50Hz. Change that to 100Hz, wonder if it would correct it for the rest of the ECU.

Either way, when you're stopped, it will still show that you're stopped. Then when you hit 1mph, it reads 2mph, 5->10, 100->200mph , etc

It'd be nice using that sensor since we could keep our stock speedometers (I don't want to replace mine!), and get the signal we need. If nothing else, I can make a box that plugs in after the sensor to cut the number of pulses in half. I didn't look any farther at summit to see if they had one with a different number of pulses.

That accell distributor would probably work, but they sure are proud of them ($$)

AndrewH: It would definitely be interesting to see what they came up with for the distributor. If you have the time, I'd like to see some pics!

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662694
04/09/10 08:16 PM
04/09/10 08:16 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Or just change the scalar in the ECU to 10mph instead of 5mph for when to stop fuel shutoff (highlighted cell)
http://screencast.com/t/YzZlYzVkYzEt

There is also VSCFRQ - Vehicle Speed sensor frequency, set to 50Hz. Change that to 100Hz, wonder if it would correct it for the rest of the ECU.

Either way, when you're stopped, it will still show that you're stopped. Then when you hit 1mph, it reads 2mph, 5->10, 100->200mph , etc

I agree, stopped is fine and moving is fine, it's those transitions and near-zero points that might cause drivability issues (which is one thing we're trying to get away from ). I don't ahve any EEC tuning tools, so I'm at a disadvantage there. My gameplan is to use the 2 MS-II units I have, and then give the EEC a shot on a differnt car. I may have to use some 'trickery' with relays and resistors on the sensors, to modify my fueling curves and other things.

Quote:

It'd be nice using that sensor since we could keep our stock speedometers (I don't want to replace mine!), and get the signal we need. If nothing else, I can make a box that plugs in after the sensor to cut the number of pulses in half. I didn't look any farther at summit to see if they had one with a different number of pulses.

I wanna keep my speedo too. Aint no aftermarket round speedo that will fit in a 68 Fury or a 65 300 and look right.

Quote:

That accell distributor would probably work, but they sure are proud of them ($$)

Yep, huge money, and at that point you could install a Megasquirt and use the factory dizzy. That's the crux to me on the 5.0 conversion - you've got to get it cheap enough, or already have the tuning tool, or else it becomes more cost-effective to go MS.

And 2 of those Accell dizzys have mechanical advance. Why would you use a dual-synch dizzy (which is intended for sequential EFI, right?) and then not have the ignition timing controlled by an ECU? Ignition timing control is tantamount to engine responsiveness and area-under-the-curve torque.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662695
04/14/10 12:52 AM
04/14/10 12:52 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Fury Fan, what diameter is the Ford key wheel? Will it fit in a mopar distributor at all?

If it fits in the mopar dizzy, after looking at the picture wedgeman posted here, I'm sure I could find a way to mount a hall sensor in there; even if I need to cut a hole in the side of the distributor.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662696
04/14/10 09:34 AM
04/14/10 09:34 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Well, I was hoping to be able to hand you guys the secret all at once on a silver platter, but I hit a hurdle on my end, so I’ll start spilling some beans.

The Magnum distributor functions as a cam sensor, hence the 180° wheel shown in the other thread, the Magnums use a Crank Position Sensor on the flexplate instead. Why they used 2 sensors is beyond me, they could have used a trigger wheel in the dizzy or a missing tooth on the flexplate and eliminated 1 sensor, which would surely have been a huge cost savings!

Anyway, the distributor I have been looking at is from an 89-91 318 (or 90-92 360) TBI setup. Similar-looking sensor except the mounting tabs are different (they match the side screws of a points or electronic dizzy perfectly). And - this dizzy also uses an 8-tooth trigger wheel! The tooth spacing differs from the Ford wheel as I mentioned earlier, although I believe the ‘#1’ tooth can be filed narrower to emulate the Ford wheel. That’s job #2.

The Ford wheel is approx 2.35” OD, the Dodge wheel is approx 2.1” OD. The Dodge wheel diameter is not compatible with the Ford sensor, at least they don’t seem to want to package together in the Mopar dizzy because the Ford dizzy is larger OD and the guts are bigger. Anyone that has a Ford and a Mopar dizzy, please see if you come up with any ideas on how to merge them.

My plan was to install the TBI Hall and wheel in a B-RB dizzy, but this all hinges on whether the Dodge and Ford Halls are similar electrically (job #1). The hurdle I’ve hit is that the Ford takes a 12V input, the Dodge Magnum info I have shows it takes a 5V input and the wire colors differ from the TBI Hall I have. I want to be able to figure out how to test it, then put 12v into it and see if it blows the sensor. Hall sensors usually have a wide input voltage range, and it’s conceivable that Dodge used 5V as it was a standard sensor voltage and Ford used battery voltage instead. The sensor might not care what we feed it.

Anyone have a Dodge TBI schematic for the Hall sensor??? I need to know the wire colors so that I can hook it up to my test meter. If this sensor can handle 12 volts, it might be the solution. There would still be some mods required, but we’ll cover that in the future if this sensor will work (job #1).

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662697
04/14/10 10:13 AM
04/14/10 10:13 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Well, I was hoping to be able to hand you guys the secret all at once on a silver platter, but I hit a hurdle on my end, so I’ll start spilling some beans.

The Magnum distributor functions as a cam sensor, hence the 180° wheel shown in the other thread, the Magnums use a Crank Position Sensor on the flexplate instead. Why they used 2 sensors is beyond me, they could have used a trigger wheel in the dizzy or a missing tooth on the flexplate and eliminated 1 sensor, which would surely have been a huge cost savings!

Anyway, the distributor I have been looking at is from an 89-91 318 (or 90-92 360) TBI setup. Similar-looking sensor except the mounting tabs are different (they match the side screws of a points or electronic dizzy perfectly). And - this dizzy also uses an 8-tooth trigger wheel! The tooth spacing differs from the Ford wheel as I mentioned earlier, although I believe the ‘#1’ tooth can be filed narrower to emulate the Ford wheel. That’s job #2.

The Ford wheel is approx 2.35” OD, the Dodge wheel is approx 2.1” OD. The Dodge wheel diameter is not compatible with the Ford sensor, at least they don’t seem to want to package together in the Mopar dizzy because the Ford dizzy is larger OD and the guts are bigger. Anyone that has a Ford and a Mopar dizzy, please see if you come up with any ideas on how to merge them.

My plan was to install the TBI Hall and wheel in a B-RB dizzy, but this all hinges on whether the Dodge and Ford Halls are similar electrically (job #1). The hurdle I’ve hit is that the Ford takes a 12V input, the Dodge Magnum info I have shows it takes a 5V input and the wire colors differ from the TBI Hall I have. I want to be able to figure out how to test it, then put 12v into it and see if it blows the sensor. Hall sensors usually have a wide input voltage range, and it’s conceivable that Dodge used 5V as it was a standard sensor voltage and Ford used battery voltage instead. The sensor might not care what we feed it.

Anyone have a Dodge TBI schematic for the Hall sensor??? I need to know the wire colors so that I can hook it up to my test meter. If this sensor can handle 12 volts, it might be the solution. There would still be some mods required, but we’ll cover that in the future if this sensor will work (job #1).

or you could toss on a $250 carb and be done....lol

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662698
04/14/10 10:30 AM
04/14/10 10:30 AM
Tulsa oklahoma USA
2734bbl Offline
2734bbl  Offline

Tulsa oklahoma USA
Hey Fury what about a B/RB dizzy from a Lean Burn set up?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: 2734bbl] #662699
04/14/10 10:54 AM
04/14/10 10:54 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
The Lean Burn (and prior electronics dizzys) have a VR sensor (which gives an AC waveform) and the Ford and Mopar EFI systems (V8, at least) use a Hall Effect sensor which gives a square-wave output.

The Lean Burn dizzy doesn't really help for a Ford retrofit, but it is advantageous for an aftermarket EFI system that merely needs an ignition trigger with locked advance.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662700
04/14/10 11:13 AM
04/14/10 11:13 AM
A
master
master
A

So based on that picture wedgeman provided, the painless system replaced the cam wheel with a shutter wheel for the halls sensor.

Sorry, was to lazy to pull it out this weekend. Feets helped me move 8 cubic yards of rock on saturday, and I couldn't move on sunday to mark and pull it.
Might try again this weekend since it is going to rain.

are the BB and Sb shaft diameter and distributer body dimensions the same?
That is, would putting the magnum sensor and this shutter wheel in a bb distributer work?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662701
04/14/10 11:56 AM
04/14/10 11:56 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Congrats on moving that rock, you deserve a week off!

Yeah, Painless made a custom wheel, apparently not realizing there was an existing one available they probably could have used.

There are a lot of similarities between SB (electronic, TBI and Maggie) and B/RB dizzys – even the old points type like Mr Yuck probably uses

The housing is the same but differs only in height.

The Maggie has flat ears for mounting the sensor, all the others use 2 screws that go thru the sides of the housing.

South of the insides of the housing the shafts are the same diameter and have the same drive tang. Inside the housing there are some differences between points and electronic, and between TBI and the Maggie, both in length and diameters. Another critical dimension is the overall shaft length. The upper diameter of a B/RB points dizzy is too small for the trigger wheel, so I need to disassemble an electronic version to measure it.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: ZIPPY] #662702
04/14/10 01:16 PM
04/14/10 01:16 PM
Beaverton, OR, USA
Alikazam Offline
super gas
Alikazam  Offline
super gas

Beaverton, OR, USA
Quote:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=accel%20dual%20pickup%20distributor%20mopar&dds=1

OK, it's expensive....but it looks convienient as heck.

Wow... that looks VERY interesting I was contemplating adding a crank wheel (DIYAutotune.com has universal 36-1 wheels you can get already machined, fyi) and grinding all but 1 terminal off of my reluctor in my distributor for a cam signal and realigning the pickup for proper cam signal timing. But this looks way easier Thanks for the post Zippy!

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662703
04/14/10 03:50 PM
04/14/10 03:50 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

The hurdle I’ve hit is that the Ford takes a 12V input, the Dodge Magnum info I have shows it takes a 5V input and the wire colors differ from the TBI Hall I have. I want to be able to figure out how to test it, then put 12v into it and see if it blows the sensor. Hall sensors usually have a wide input voltage range, and it’s conceivable that Dodge used 5V as it was a standard sensor voltage and Ford used battery voltage instead. The sensor might not care what we feed it.

So it looks like the Ford wheel will fit inside the mopar distributor, and the main problem is finding a sensor that will fit, correct?

After looking at Wedgemans picture again, it sure looks more like an photo interrupter than a hall sensor. Is the white thing on the inside magnetic? Any wires going to it? I don't suppose there are any part numbers on the actual sensor on the mopar sensor?

I was just looking at Hall Sensors at Digikey for a different project, and yes, most of them have a very wide input voltage range. Or if it is optical, we just need another resistor in series to limit the voltage and it should work just fine at 12v.

If there's room, it may be easiest to put the ford wheel in the mopar distributor, then I can make a Hall Effect/Optical sensor that mounts to the mopar plate, like this one., Or we get a flat wheel cut out and mount our own sensor in the distributor

Anyone have an extra magnum distributor they want to sell me cheap? I have a Ford one I can pull and compare, but I don't think the junkyard here even has any magnums

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662704
04/14/10 04:44 PM
04/14/10 04:44 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

So it looks like the Ford wheel will fit inside the mopar distributor, and the main problem is finding a sensor that will fit, correct?

Yes, but the hole in the Ford wheel does not match the Mopar shaft, it is smaller. Also, the Ford wheel screws down onto a hub/flange/plate, while the Mopar wheel has a collar that crosspins to the shaft. I presume the Ford wheel could be re-drilled larger and then tackwelded to a setscrew shaft collar, but I didn’t consider that route after finding the TBI dizzy, I focused on it instead.

Quote:

After looking at Wedgemans picture again, it sure looks more like an photo interrupter than a hall sensor. Is the white thing on the inside magnetic? Any wires going to it? I don't suppose there are any part numbers on the actual sensor on the mopar sensor?

The white thing on the inside is actually metal, it is reflective in the photoflash. I doubt it is magnetic or mine would surely be covered in metal dust by now, I think I would’ve noticed that. The wheel goes between the 2 outer black portions of the sensor, not near the ‘white’ part. Ford’s TFI is a Hall and has 3 wires, and this one has 3 wires, so I presumed they were the same type of sensor. I learned a little more here: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/pickups.htm

Quote:

I was just looking at Hall Sensors at Digikey for a different project, and yes, most of them have a very wide input voltage range. Or if it is optical, we just need another resistor in series to limit the voltage and it should work just fine at 12v.

Quote:

If there's room, it may be easiest to put the ford wheel in the mopar distributor, then I can make a Hall Effect/Optical sensor that mounts to the mopar plate, like this one., Or we get a flat wheel cut out and mount our own sensor in the distributor

Yeah, a small add-on sensor of the right specs might be a simple solution, but you’d still need to mount it. If the TBI or Mag sensor work out, the mounting is built in. We will eventually narrow down to the best solution!

Quote:

Anyone have an extra magnum distributor they want to sell me cheap? I have a Ford one I can pull and compare, but I don't think the junkyard here even has any magnums

See if this link works:
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.c...amp;userPage=75

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662705
04/14/10 09:22 PM
04/14/10 09:22 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
C
Charger_440 Offline
super stock
Charger_440  Offline
super stock
C

Tulsa, Oklahoma
adding to favs

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662706
04/14/10 11:09 PM
04/14/10 11:09 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Thanks for the link (it did work). I'll just have to get the distributors together and see what I can come up with. Maybe that will answer most of my questions

I'm leaving tomorrow for a 10 day business trip, so I'll have to wait to dive into it until I get back

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662707
04/14/10 11:10 PM
04/14/10 11:10 PM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@#$%&*!  Offline
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
I don't know if this will be of any use, but here is a picture of a Mallory Unilite rotor. It doesn't fit the stock dist. shaft but a modification might make it work. They also have a low-cost kit to retrofit points distributors here: http://www.malloryperformance.com/ProductDetails.aspx?modelNumber=61003M&productID=5927 I don't know if widening the windows will increase the duty cycle.

5926243-P4140009.JPG (174 downloads)
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: @#$%&*!] #662708
04/15/10 01:19 AM
04/15/10 01:19 AM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
@#$%&*!  Offline
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
I think this one will fit with all pre-Magnum distributors: http://www.malloryperformance.com/ProductDetails.aspx?modelNumber=334&productID=5895
and can be used with the E-spark system or you could make your own optical sensor setup for it.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: @#$%&*!] #662709
04/15/10 11:59 AM
04/15/10 11:59 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
TBI dizzy

Ford TFI with integral TFI:

Ford with remote-mounted TFI:

Ford and Dodge wheels, Dodge wheel is zinc-colored.

Stacking them shows how close the size is, but with the tight confines of a dizzy housing there’s no simple way to put Ford stuff in a Mopar dizzy.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662710
04/16/10 05:44 PM
04/16/10 05:44 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

You are correct, there is no ‘need’ for most people, it’s a ‘want’ -- just like other things. Drum brakes and points ignitions and single-field alternators are quite functional, yet people install discs and halogen headlights and MSD boxes and other stuff. Because we want to.

After working on & racing FWD turbo mopars for over 10 years going back to my RWD roots was a painful experiance!

A well tuned carb is a wonderful thing but can't hold a candle to a well tuned EFI system.

My 67 Dart will have multi-port EFI with a Megasquirt controller.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: gdonovan] #662711
04/16/10 06:09 PM
04/16/10 06:09 PM
A
master
master
A

That is interesting. Why does it need the one off tooth?

Does the sensor part from the ford distributer fit in the tbi or regular mag distributer?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: gdonovan] #662712
04/16/10 06:31 PM
04/16/10 06:31 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

After working on & racing FWD turbo mopars for over 10 years going back to my RWD roots was a painful experiance!

A well tuned carb is a wonderful thing but can't hold a candle to a well tuned EFI system.

My 67 Dart will have multi-port EFI with a Megasquirt controller.

hahahahahahahah ok. EFI was developed for emissions. Don't fool yourself. Injection is nice to have but it in no way is any better for performance applications that a carb. If it was sooo great every swingin' Richard would have it on his "saturday night special".

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662713
04/16/10 07:17 PM
04/16/10 07:17 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

hahahahahahahah ok. EFI was developed for emissions. Don't fool yourself. Injection is nice to have but it in no way is any better for performance applications that a carb. If it was sooo great every swingin' Richard would have it on his "saturday night special".

What-ever, I'm not going to get in a flamefest with some fool on a board.

A properly setup EFI system will beat the hell out of carb any day of the week. Been there and done it for the last 10+ years.

Cost and complexity keeps it out of reach of most people.

Keep your stone age tech if that is what pleases you, I assume you run drum brakes and points too.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662714
04/16/10 09:00 PM
04/16/10 09:00 PM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
@#$%&*!  Offline
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
Quote:

...EFI was developed for emissions...

Fuel Injection came out in the '50's, long before anyone cared about emissions. You clearly don't know what the heck you're talking about. Computerized fuel control is so much better than a carb that caburetors are obsolete.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: gdonovan] #662715
04/16/10 10:23 PM
04/16/10 10:23 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

What-ever, I'm not going to get in a flamefest with some fool on a board.

A properly setup EFI system will beat the hell out of carb any day of the week. Been there and done it for the last 10+ years.

Cost and complexity keeps it out of reach of most people.

Keep your stone age tech if that is what pleases you, I assume you run drum brakes and points too.

ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner. COST and complexity.... Trust me I've looked into it. The COST does not outweigh any gain. Your are NOT going to run your EFI 440 any fater than I will in mine. You may get 1-2 mpg better but at what cost? Some here have the skill to make a EFI set up. most do not. It COST a ton of money and is A LOT of work for very little gain. If there was no EPA and car companies didn't have to have mpg/emissions standards every car would have a carb on it. Why? because it's cheaper. Not knocking EFI it's a good tool. Just not really a good investment. And no I have electronic ing and front disc. But hey those are easy cheap upgrades. It's a money thing for me. Show me that spending 3k+ on an efi set up is worth it. I can slap a supercharger on my car for that.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662716
04/16/10 10:26 PM
04/16/10 10:26 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
and no offense but you have been racing FWD turbo cars... those things hall tail no doubt. but it totally different than a big V8. You really need EFI w/ all that boost, that's a no brainer.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Mr.Yuck] #662717
04/17/10 09:25 AM
04/17/10 09:25 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Come on, Yuck, leave it alone, we're trying to do something here. Both sides of the argument have merit. I've had sweet-running carbs, and I've had ones that weren't worth a dead fly.

Have you ever put a WB to your favorite carb to see how good your AF curve is? I can tell you firsthand that a carb can feel smooth and still have a funky AF curve - which means you are missing out on some **below-max** torque. Carbs can give more max HP, but EFI gives you more power under the curve -- and that's what some of us are wanting.

Maybe we'll succeed at this, maybe not, but we're interested in giving it a shot. If you can come with some info to help us, we'd be appreciative, otherwise stop plugging up our thread.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662718
04/17/10 09:39 AM
04/17/10 09:39 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
I know Fury, done here. Hope he can get it sorted out. I've seen a bunch of EFI conversions, but most used the harness form the donor vehicle, usually a 1/2 ton Ram. That to me would seem like the best way to go.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662719
04/17/10 10:17 AM
04/17/10 10:17 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Every time I look at this with fresh eyes I get a new idea. I now think the Ford stuff could be put into a Mopar dizzy but it would take a few details to be ironed. This would be the best solution as we then know the Hall sensor is compatible with the EEC-IV, and it makes the distributor into a mechanical/fabrication conversion instead of an electrical one – everybody hates electrical, right? .

The Ford sensor assembly (the black plastic part in the pics above) can be ground down a little to fit closer to teh edge of the Mopar dizzy housing. This allows either diameter of trigger wheel to be able to pass thru it.

The hole in the Ford wheel is the same size as the upper end of a points-dizzy shaft (underneath the lobed cam). The flange that the Ford wheel screws to is the same ID as an electronic or Mag dizzy,

Either wheel would require a collar of some sort to hold it perpendicular to teh shaft (for it is just a thin plate). I have a few ideas, I’ll report back if I have some success. It's might boil down to a person getting 2-3 JY dizzys and a few hardware store items and then putting them in a blender.

Quote:

That is interesting. Why does it need the one off tooth?

The one-off tooth tells the ECU where #1 cylinder is.

If we get the dizzy figured out, there are still some hurdles to jump - like the PWM IAC.

Last edited by Fury Fan; 04/17/10 10:26 AM.
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #662720
04/17/10 05:10 PM
04/17/10 05:10 PM
A
master
master
A

ok here are my pics of the wheel painless made and the 98 and up mag distributor.
Don't know if it helps or makes any difference.

I think you might be just as well off if you can cut off the tabs on the tbi rotor, drill out the center of the ford one and then drill holes in the tbi to bolt the two together.
IF you can get the ford guts to fit in the tbi distributer.

new wheel in the distributer

sensor plug

sensor

side view of the wheel and the empty distributer housing.

back of the wheel. Here you can see it was all one piece. no welds or bolt together.

side shot of the wheel

diameter

height

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662721
04/18/10 03:04 PM
04/18/10 03:04 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Is that a hall effect sensor out of a 2.2 turbo distributor?

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: feets] #662722
04/18/10 06:46 PM
04/18/10 06:46 PM
A
master
master
A

Quote:

Is that a hall effect sensor out of a 2.2 turbo distributor?

who are you asking?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662723
04/19/10 08:05 AM
04/19/10 08:05 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
The sensor shown a few pics higher appears to be from a Magnum distributor. It is similar to the sensor from a TBI V8, except teh mounting tabs and connector are different.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662724
04/22/10 11:54 AM
04/22/10 11:54 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Eureka?

I may have gotten it done! Needs to be nailed down, so to speak, and then it needs tested in an EEC-IV system somehow. I think spinning it in a drillpress and hooking an elec meter will suffice. Will need to figure out where all the #1s align (between 5.0 and Mopar) before I tackweld the trigger wheel. Need to do this in a bigblock housing after that.

There is not a lot of clearance for all this, so you’ll need your skills, and there are some subtle details involved too. Unless you have a handful of Ford and Mopar dizzys to sacrifice, read the info below while doing it and think 2-3 steps ahead -- because I am typing what I remember, a full 5 days after doing it.

I highly recommend using a remote-mount TFI distributor for this retrofit. Ford’s TFI was notorious for having heat-related issues with the TFI module (it’s the gray plastic thing that mounts to the side of a Ford dizzy and hooks into the brown part in the pics below). Module gets hot, ignition dies, then car starts up when it cools off – pretty easy to diagnose when you know what to look for, but let’s try to avoid it instead. The module requires heat-sink compound between it and the dizzy housing, and if omitted the TFI can overheat. Ford started remote-mounting the TFI on T-birds, trucks and some others around the early 90s, and the brown component is moved into the remote-mount setup also, so wires are all that must exit our dizzy in that case. More info: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/remote_tfi.htm

Some of the tips to success:
To re-cap, the Ford wheel is a larger diameter than the Mopar wheel, and the Ford dizzy is larger diameter also. Grind some of the sensor so that it can be shoved closer to the dizzy housing. Grind some of its mounting pins off also, then drill them for mounting screws. Feed the sensor’s connector thru the slot on the side of the dizzy. (I don’t fully know where this housing came from, the slot is for a vacuum pot, perhaps TBI and Mag dizzies may not have this slot?)

I am undecided on whether the shaft collar should be cross-pinned to the dizzy shaft. It will grip the shaft pretty well and I doubt it would ever creep out of alignment due to the low mass of the trigger wheel, but things would get ugly with the fuel timing if it ever did. I don’t know if it could cause engine damage - the ignition timing is controlled by the EEC based on the wheel, but it can only deliver to the sparkplugs based on the rotor, which is fixed to the shaft by a tab, so I don’t think it can deliver spark to the wrong cylinder at a wrong-enough time to cause damage. Regardless, it would be a PITA to diagnose if it started to creep.

Grind some of the sensor ‘reflector’ down to get it to fit better. Grind pins / drill mounting holes.

I held the sensor in place based on the wheel location so that gaps between the wheel and sensor would be correct, then drilled one mounting hole. Snugged that screw in place, the re-aligned and drilled the 2nd hole. Held the wheel to the shaft collar and rotated the housing. Felt some rubbing, so I wallowed one of the holes slightly, re-adjusted the sensor, and it was perfect.

Here the shaft is pushed up as normal so that you can see under the shaft collar. The shaft collar must be high enough for the bottom of the wheel to clear the sensor, but low enough that the dizzycap rotor can bottom out on the shaft (remember that we still have to preserve the rotor/cap geometry!). Do not sink the wheel so low that it can read the top part of the wheel, which does not have window breaks in it. Note that the sensor is not centered, this is one of the tricks to making the Ford sensor fit.

A little grinding to get the serrated-flange locknut to fit.

Trigger wheel is just a little above the housing base. Encyclopedia Brown-types will notice that the wheel in these pics is gold-colored, unlike the prior Ford wheel I pictured, which is a dark color. This particular wheel was from a V-6 Ford, and was sacrificed for this latest experiment. The correct wheel still needs to be tack-welded to the shaft collar.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662725
04/22/10 03:16 PM
04/22/10 03:16 PM
A
master
master
A

so I think you forgot a couple of things.
What shaft did you use?
Where did you get the collar?

Did you have to open up the inside of the ford wheel? or let it go?

Why did you decide not to use the mopar wheel chopped up a little?

Do the sensors provide the same output?

Just wondering.

As for pining the collar, it looks like there is a gap to tighten it to the shaft? But yes I think a pin would be better.

The housing for my mag does not have any slots or holes. only a notch for the sensor wiring to come out.

As for lining up number 1 cylinder, I think it actually matters more the relation to the rotor to that number 1 slot.
So where it point to in the ford vs where it points to in the mopar.
Since it would be adjustible based on that relationship not where 1 is.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662726
04/22/10 04:50 PM
04/22/10 04:50 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

so I think you forgot a couple of things.
What shaft did you use?

Mopar shaft, it’s approx .5” diameter.

Quote:

Where did you get the collar?

Probably McMaster.com, it’s just an ordinary clamp-on shaft collar, often used for drillbit stops, also.

Quote:

Did you have to open up the inside of the ford wheel? or let it go?

Yes, have to drive out the knurled flange and drill the center hole bigger.

Quote:

Why did you decide not to use the mopar wheel chopped up a little?

Upon finding a way to mount the sensor offset in the dizzy, it looked like the Ford wheel had a shot at working, and I happened to have a shaft collar the correct size, so I went that direction.

Quote:

Do the sensors provide the same output?

I still don’t know the answer to that question, haven’t found the pin-out data on the TBI sensor to compare it to the 5.0. The pics I just posted show the 5.0 sensor in there, so the TBI vs 5.0 electrical signal no longer matters (unless wanting to use the Mopar sensor).

Quote:

As for pining the collar, it looks like there is a gap to tighten it to the shaft? But yes I think a pin would be better.

This shaft collar is a clamp-on type instead of the more-common setscrew type, so there is a slight gap at the joint. Gives much better gripping power as it clamps around the whole shaft instead of just digging in at a single point with a setscrew. Makes me think it might not need a crosspin. Could put a dab of paint between it and the shaft and then could visually determine if it ever moves.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=6rx1hp

Quote:

The housing for my mag does not have any slots or holes. only a notch for the sensor wiring to come out.

I don’t know what this exact housing is then. If going the remote-TFI route it won’t matter what dizzy housing you use. Even the brown component could be remote-mounted if desired, it’s just 3 wires.
Quote:

As for lining up number 1 cylinder, I think it actually matters more the relation to the rotor to that number 1 slot.
So where it point to in the ford vs where it points to in the mopar.
Since it would be adjustible based on that relationship not where 1 is.

I agree, I just need to verify.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662727
04/22/10 05:13 PM
04/22/10 05:13 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

Eureka?

Awesome! I think you got it! I don't see anything else that shouldn't be unsurmountable

(I did have some other questions, but then you replied and answered them)

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662728
04/22/10 05:16 PM
04/22/10 05:16 PM
A
master
master
A

the only reason I mention the mopar sensor and wheel again, is that it seems to be an easier way to go. no welding, just hacking.

Which does lead to quesion, can you re angle that ford sensor so it lines up with the mopar wheel?

Less fabrication then. And then all you have to do is figure out which fin to cut on the mopar wheel.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662729
04/22/10 10:10 PM
04/22/10 10:10 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
I fully agree that the Mopar wheel/sensor is a simpler option if the sensor is still robust with 12v going thru it. Trimming one tooth on the wheel would be simple for anyone to do after the pattern is documented.

I haven't yet found info on what the 3 pins are, and the schematics I found from a FSM just show circuit #s, colors, etc - but no functionality for the wires. The Maggie colors don't match the TBI colors, either. And aside from all that, you guys all would need to get the TBI trigger wheel, for the Maggie wheel is a '1-tooth' thing as shown somewhere higher in this thread.

If anyone can provide me info on the wires, I'll try going a step further based on a Mopar sensor.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662730
04/23/10 09:50 AM
04/23/10 09:50 AM
A
master
master
A

I think you misunderstood.
Now that you have the FORD sensor mounted in the mopar distributer.

Could you mount it so that it works with the smaller diameter mopar wheel?

That way you don't have to figure out how to mount the ford wheel.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662731
04/23/10 11:51 AM
04/23/10 11:51 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Yeah, I did misunderstand.
I'd have to remount the sensor as the difference in wheel diameter exceeds the available slot in the sensor. I'd also have to mod the #1 tooth first, and then make sure that the sensor is mounted in a new spot based on that #1.

I found some info on the Mag sensor but not on the TBI, but 2 of 3 wire colors match between them. The Mag is fed 8 volts according to the info I found (not teh standard 5 or 12 ). I think I'll apply the Mag info to the TBI Hall and see how it reacts, then compare it to the Ford stuff. Probably can't get to that until next week though.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662732
04/23/10 12:13 PM
04/23/10 12:13 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
For all teh responders and interested folks, I made a poll in this thread:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...vc=#Post5942590
Please hit the poll when you get a chance.

I'm curious who all the players are here, what we'll be installing them on, etc -- because we'll have fab, installation & tuning issues to sort out after the dizzy is solved.

And to clarify - let's continue this thread!

Last edited by Fury Fan; 04/23/10 02:06 PM.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662733
04/26/10 02:21 PM
04/26/10 02:21 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
I did a little more research over the weekend:

The dizzy housings seem to be the same overall height:
I compared an LA TBI and an RB (so presumably LA, Maggie and B are the same also). Every other bare/unknown housing I have was also the same height.

The housings differ by:
1. if they have a slot for vacuum advance (all pre-LeanBurn carb'd cars),
2. no slot at all (LeanBurn cars and newer) or,
3. mounting ears for the screw-down dizzycap (Maggie).

The shafts differ by: the length down into the engine, and then the shaft up top (whether for points, VR sensor, TBI, or Mag). The points dizzys IMHO should be avoided, they look to be more difficult to convert (they have a 2-piece upper shaft - the cam lobe is a separate piece and it holds the rotor, and the trigger wheel needs to mount where the cam is).

Caps/rotors differ by:
The LeanBurn-older, the TBI, and the Maggie all use different rotors and/or cap combinations, so planning is required to mix-match the housings, shafts and upper parts.

End result:
It seems any engine, from A, LA, B or RB, could have a dizzy converted to the 5.0 TFI setup with the right combination of donor parts (Ford guts, Mopar housing of your choice, and shaft to match your engine).

Choose the shaft based on your engine size, then get the rotor that fits the top of the shaft, then the cap that mates with the rotor, then the dizzy housing that mates to the cap. Whether you seal off the vacuum slot or get a slot-less housing is a matter of preference.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662734
04/27/10 12:44 PM
04/27/10 12:44 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
So, it looks like you got the distributor figured out

Up above you mentioned something about the IAC valve? I was thinking that'd be a pretty straightforward part of the swap

Since it mounts directly to the throttle body, either get an elbow adapter like shown in the very first link, or come up with another way to mount it to the intake.

Either way, the 'hard' part will be running the new throttle cable, and for us with automatics, the Throttle Pressure Cable (or kickdown cable )

Or is there something else I'm missing?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662735
04/27/10 02:19 PM
04/27/10 02:19 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

So, it looks like you got the distributor figured out

Up above you mentioned something about the IAC valve? I was thinking that'd be a pretty straightforward part of the swap

Since it mounts directly to the throttle body, either get an elbow adapter like shown in the very first link, or come up with another way to mount it to the intake.

Whether the IAC is a PITA depends more on what intake manifold and/or throttle body you plan to use. The Ford IAC is PWM (pulse-width modulated) while most GM, Dodge and universal 4-barrel-style use stepper motors. I believe somebody makes one of the 4V types with a PWM (Hitachi?) IAC that might be PWM, so check around. That's a high $$ TB, though.

So if you’re planning on putting the 5.0 stuff with a 5.2/5.9 throttle body (some guys in the poll said they’d be using the beerbarrel) or a 4-barrel-style TB, the Ford IAC won’t work without some mods to mount it remotely and ensure the original passage doesn’t leak air (that can be the harder part).

If you’re using a ‘standard’ converted intake manifold, then an Edelbrock elbow with a 5.0 TB on it is quite simple. For those in the lower-HP (or budget) domain, I recommend you check out the TB and elbow from a 4.6 Ford. Those TBs are 65 mm and good for around 245 hp (on paper). The 5.0 HO had a 60mm TB, and those engines can be tweaked above their 225hp rating before the TB becomes the restriction, so I’d bet the 65mm can go to 275hp or so. . The elbow requires an adapter plate to match the manifold but it would be a fairly simple one to make on a drillpress. Another option: look for a 5.0 Explorer, they have an intake similar to the Mustang but it has a 90° elbow that might be usable (and the TB is a 65mm unit, albeit different from the 4.6).

If you plan to mount the 5.0 TB right on top of a standard intake, the IAC will probably interfere with your aircleaner, as the IAC now points straight upward about 3". You could make a small thick adapter plate with cross-drilled passages to make it level, though. You'd also need some way to fasten the aircleaner. I have done such a configuration, and it fits neatly under a factory aircleaner.

Remote-mounting the IAC:
To remote-mount the Ford IAC, you’ll make a plate to cap-off the IAC ports, then drill//tap that plate for 2 barbed fittings that align with the ports. Run 2 hoses, one to the inside of the air filter region and the other to below the throttle blades. You might be tempted to T it into the power brake fitting, but don’t do that on a dual-plane manifold if that location is only in 1 plane.

Do something similar to the TB to block off the original IAC path. This is a little tougher as the passages are usually cast into teh TB and will vary based on what TB you use.

Get a roll of gasket paper from the auto parts store and get crackin’.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662736
04/27/10 02:31 PM
04/27/10 02:31 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Either way, the 'hard' part will be running the new throttle cable, and for us with automatics, the Throttle Pressure Cable (or kickdown cable )

Or is there something else I'm missing?

Nah, we're still planning hardware, I'm sure there will be more hurdles after that!

throttle and kickdown cables:
Ford used a kickdown-type cable on their AOD transmissions, so a 5.0 TB from an OBD1 car should have provisions on it for 2 cables. 5.0 Explorers and 4.6 vehicles all had electronic transmissions, so no 2nd cable -- those TBs could still be made to work, perhaps?

Also, if you find a Lincoln Mark 7 with 5.0 HO, it will have the TB on the passenger side and the cable might be long enough to use, but you’ll have to figure out how to hook it to your pedal.

For cables, check out your nearest Dodge van and/or pickup. Some of them are pretty long, and the firewall-mounted footpedals probably fit in late-60s-up Mopars with little effort. The KD cables should be easy to use also. I also discovered that a ‘low-head’ allenhead screw (can’t remember the size, perhaps #6?) was a near-perfect item to emulate the cable pins used on a Maggie TB. The cables have a special square locking clip that goes into a bracket on the TB, either get that bracket to reuse or make the square hole with a drill bit and a sharp needle file (I’ve done it both ways).
http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-cap-screws/=6ufx2q

For reusing any OEM cable you’ll most likely have to modify something at one end or the other, so a universal cable or a Lokar might end up better on the time/money scale – each person has to decide for themselves.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662737
04/27/10 02:33 PM
04/27/10 02:33 PM
A
master
master
A

kick down may or may not be simple.
I can't tell how cables mount the ford throttle.
If you scavange the parts off the newer truck the magnum comes out of, there is a factory cable to run the kick down lever.
It requires a few parts and a big bolt.

You may have to mod the tb side, but with these parts it should clip on to the transmission side.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662738
04/27/10 05:06 PM
04/27/10 05:06 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

If you plan to mount the 5.0 TB right on top of a standard intake, the IAC will probably interfere with your aircleaner, as the IAC now points straight upward about 3". You could make a small thick adapter plate with cross-drilled passages to make it level, though. You'd also need some way to fasten the aircleaner. I have done such a configuration, and it fits neatly under a factory aircleaner.

I was contemplating doing something similar to this. Also need to put the MAF in there somewhere; but you said you were doing SD, so you don't need it. That would definitely make a pseudo-stealth install easier.

I have something in mind that would stick the TB and MAF under the aircleaner, but I need to get everything and mock it up to see if it'll actually work, and not be too tall. The thin style MAFs are $$$

For the KD cable, it really shouldn't be too hard to find one long enough and finangle a way make it work. Heck, even a long manual choke cable with custom ends should be feasible to get to work.

All this planning, and I still don't have an engine to put it on yet

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662739
05/11/10 11:02 AM
05/11/10 11:02 AM
A
master
master
A

just thought I would move it back up so it doesn't fall off.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662740
05/11/10 11:20 AM
05/11/10 11:20 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
I was thinking about bumping it back up also...

Are there any other 'issues' that still need to be figured out?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662741
05/11/10 11:24 AM
05/11/10 11:24 AM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Some of this has been hashed out already:

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=46207.0

Still looking for the old moparts thread from 2005...

IIRC the consensus was that a small block TBI distributor would work fine with the Ford stuff.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: BBR] #662742
05/11/10 12:23 PM
05/11/10 12:23 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
If a smallblock TBI dizzy will work fine as-is, then we're off to the next step. If it's not OK, it might lead to some diagnosing at initial startup.

Next up - wiring.

I have a SD ECU from a Mark 7. Got a harness stub from a Conti. Some of the wires don't match between harness and the ECU pinouts (according to fordfuelinjection.com, anyway) but I think it'll be OK when it's re-tasked. The harness connector was impossible to get out of the Mark without major surgery to either the dash or firewall, but the Conti was a piece o'cake as it's all underhood. Conti harness has a 3-relay module built into it also.

I'm slowly working on making a schematic in CAD, then I can start to terminate the wire stubs onto a terminal strip (3 of them, probably, need at least 34 pins!). Need to figure out only the wires that are mandatory for the engine to start. Can hook other things up later and also make it durable/rugged.

FYI:
For the wiring, I've found a few cute, cheap watertight boxes at... wait for it... Lowes! Look at outdoor electrical enclsoures for outdoor lighting, sprinkler systems, etc. I've only found 2-gang boxes, though, so if you need a bigger one, check McMaster.com.
These are somewhat reasonably-priced.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-enclosures/=71lgav

This would be nice, but I’m sure it’s pricey:
http://www.bussman.com/pdf/c131c9d2-d45b-436d-a4ee-0d69bf5a0bb6.pdf

So who knows what junkyard vehicles have the easiest to remove, most stand-alone, and easiest to re-use 8-cyl injector harness? I'll give the answer shortly...

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662743
05/11/10 04:29 PM
05/11/10 04:29 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
We're waiting....

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: BBR] #662744
05/13/10 02:13 PM
05/13/10 02:13 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
IMHO, the 8-cyl injector harness to get... Cadillac Northstar and Olds Aurora 4.0 V8 around the mid-late 90s (give or take).

The harness contains only the injectors + 1 other sensor, it lays right on top of the intake with no other junk crossing over it, it has a big connector in it that you can use on your car if you want, and it's dog-gone cheap!

Ford 5.0 and 4.6, Magnum V8s and others I've looked at either require fuel rail removal, have injector banks split into 2 harnesses, and/or have a bunch of other sensors and junk in the way.

Steps (as I remember them):
1. remove the engine cover,
2. unclip each connector/injector (this takes a little practice on the metal push-clips),
3. follow the harness under the TB to the top of the transaxle and cut as far on the other side of the main connector as possible (but that's usually only a few inches before it blends into another harness).
4. pull the big connector under the TB, bending some small brackets, etc, to get clearance.

It'll take you about 15 min to get one out if you're slow. I've grabbed a few of these harnesses in the past and often the injectors are gone from these cars already, so there's 2 min saved on the injector clips.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662745
05/25/10 09:39 AM
05/25/10 09:39 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Anybody got any updates? Hoozie - did you find an engine yet?

I finally got a service manual to go with the ECM I have, now I need to go thru and see if the pinout info from fordfuelinjection.com is correct. I would've trusted that info for diagnosing a factory car, but not for re-tasking a Conti harness to a Mark ECU to a Mopar engine. 1 wrong wire could ruin everything, either in a puff of smoke... or silently.

In the next few weeks I'll start connecting the harness to some terminal blocks, then figure out what's next and what car/engine to try it on.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662746
05/25/10 10:20 AM
05/25/10 10:20 AM
Berlin, Germany
Flo Offline
mopar
Flo  Offline
mopar

Berlin, Germany
I installed an EDIS ignition system on my LA small block. Here is a link with some drawings:

EDIS install

This is actually a large step foward EFI. You can either go Megasquirt from there or run a Ford setup.

greets
Flo

Last edited by Flo; 05/25/10 10:20 AM.

1967 Fury III 4door HT tiny 318, late model roller block, bored and stroked to 344
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662747
05/25/10 11:33 AM
05/25/10 11:33 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

Anybody got any updates? Hoozie - did you find an engine yet?

No Haven't even had time to pull my harness yet. Now that the disc brakes are all but done, I can move forward on it.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662748
10/13/10 05:24 PM
10/13/10 05:24 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon

So, I somehow ended up with a '96 5.9l block in my shed, and a Ford harness in a box

After looking at everything for a while, I had one revelation:

The plastic bushing that holds the Mag TBI wheel to the shaft can have its 4 plastic plugs drilled out removing the metal wheel from it. The bushing can then go upside down on the shaft, and the Ford key (with a larger hole) can fit on top and bolt to it. Things I still need figure out include the final installed height of the plastic bushing, and if I can use the roll pin hole where it is, or if it needs to go up or down.

My second revelation:
The Ford & Dodge hall sensors look just about identical. I have the pinout of the Ford one, so I wonder if the Dodge one matches, just lining up the wires coming out of the sensor

To make a short story even shorter, the Dodge hall sensor has the same pinout as the Ford, and it works just fine at 15v!* Now I need to find a dodge wheel with 8 teeth.

Fury Fan, do the 8 tooth wheels you have, have the same angle between all the teeth (except for #1 on the Ford of course)? It would be awesome if we could use otherwise 'off the shelf' parts, rather than needing to hack on another sensor if we need to install a new one. Make an adapter to go from the remote mount Ford TFI to the Dodge hall sensor. Everything just 'plugs in'

As for alignment of the rotor to the wheel, see the attached picture. This is a ford distributor. You can see how the rotor is indexed by that hole in the wheel. So, all we need to do is make that hole line up with the rotor in the dodge housing, and everything should be fine.

*I've used Hall sensors for other projects, and every one I've seen has a ridiculously huge supply voltage range. ie, 4v to 30v.

6248791-fordalignment.JPG (142 downloads)
Last edited by hooziewhatsit; 10/13/10 05:36 PM.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662749
10/13/10 05:31 PM
10/13/10 05:31 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Here's a diagram showing how to test the hall sensors.

The wire colors on my Ford sensor are just what they seem to indicate:
Red: Power
Black: Ground
Green: PIP signal

On my dodge sensor, the middle wire going into the sensor has a white tracer, and is ground. Otherwise, just hold the ford & dodge next to each other, and the pinouts are the same.

So if the Dodge 8 tooth wheel is identical to the Ford wheel (after making one tooth smaller), I don't see why we can't use that distributor as-is with a remote mount Ford TFI.

6248801-PIPsensor.jpg (296 downloads)

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662750
10/13/10 05:44 PM
10/13/10 05:44 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
And a thoroughly bad picture showing the dodge & ford sensors and their outputs.

From left to right
Power, ground, signal

6248816-halloutputs.JPG (180 downloads)

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662751
10/13/10 05:45 PM
10/13/10 05:45 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Coincidence! I was just thinking about this project again, I printed the whole thread out so I could review it tonight, then an email notification pops into my inbox. Cool!

Here's the CAD drawing I have of the wheels. As I read the caption, there's some info that is a little confusing to me, so it will be to all of you also. The main thing is that 1 has a wide gap, 1 has a narrow gap, and IIRC the one gap needs to be narrowed with a file.

I'll try to dig this stuff out in the next few days and re-familiarize myself, maybe I can explain it better.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662752
10/14/10 12:46 PM
10/14/10 12:46 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

The plastic bushing that holds the Mag TBI wheel to the shaft can have its 4 plastic plugs drilled out removing the metal wheel from it. The bushing can then go upside down on the shaft, and the Ford key (with a larger hole) can fit on top and bolt to it. Things I still need figure out include the final installed height of the plastic bushing, and if I can use the roll pin hole where it is, or if it needs to go up or down.

If someone wanted to use a Ford wheel I think you could cut the teeth off the Mopar wheel and bolt the Ford wheel to the disc that remains -- and that might be a little more robust. Installation height and #1 orientation would have to be evaluated though. I don’t remember if the tooth height differs, but if the Ford teeth are too tall and rub the sensor plate they can be ground shorter as long as the sensor still sees a clean window/shutter effect. (I mocked up mounting the Ford wheel to a shaft collar that would clamp onto the shaft, thereby allowing any orientation/height that was required.)

Quote:

Fury Fan, do the 8 tooth wheels you have, have the same angle between all the teeth (except for #1 on the Ford of course)? It would be awesome if we could use otherwise 'off the shelf' parts, rather than needing to hack on another sensor if we need to install a new one. Make an adapter to go from the remote mount Ford TFI to the Dodge hall sensor. Everything just 'plugs in'

From an oddfire/evenfire perspective the teeth are spaced equally on both wheels with the exception of the oddball tooth/gap. However, the Mopar wheel has teeth that overall are a bit narrower than the Ford, and this will affect the system to an as-yet unknown degree (pun intended), because the coil is fired on the falling edge of the wheel, which will affect timing.

However, we’re gonna have 5.0 timing tables applied to either an A, B or RB engine, so there’s no reason to get concerned (yet) since we’re so far in left field (and at nighttime, too). Read the below snippet I got from another site:
Quote:

The signal output from the Hall sensor is called a Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) signal. There is one shutter that is skinny and this is how the EEC knows the #1 piston TDC position. This is also how the EEC knows where each cylinder is in the firing order due to monitoring the time rate between PIP signals (changing rpms) and the internal firing order data, which enables it to control sequentially the firing of the injectors.
The EEC then sends a signal (SPOUT) back to the TFI module requesting to fire the coil. The EEC senses the coil ground for feedback that the coil has then actually fired.
The coil fires on the falling edge of the SPOUT signal. The TFI also provides an internal SPOUT signal (based on the PIP signal) for limp home mode operation if the EEC has stopped sending the SPOUT. If the SPOUT plug is not inserted, spark timing remains at base timing during engine operation.

So here’s some theoretical diahrea:
The narrower Mopar teeth will cause the spark to occur X degrees advanced due to the advanced falling edge (which would typically be compensated for with distributor orientation). But this could also theoretically affect fueling, as the EEC could think the wheel was moving faster than actual (it sees falling edges happening quicker than expected) and therefore think engine RPM was higher, and begin firing the injectors differently based on fueling and timing tables. (The angular velocity is the same between the wheels at a fixed RPM but the tooth-tip speed is different, and EEC has some awareness/expectations of that toothtip speed). But EEC would then have the feedback from coil firing and have info on the true RPM. But it could conceivably think the spark was ill-timed vs the teeth. What will it do if coil firing suggests 3000rpm but toothtip suggests 3200 (arbitrary numbers)? If fueling is OK and near stoich (which means no misfires) but toothtip speed vs coil suggests consistently incorrect timing, what would it do??? Did the Ford engineers anticipate this scenario and write a specific diagnostic/limp response for it???

As there is so much unknown regarding how well a ‘foreign’ engine will run with EEC’s tables and maps, I suggest we start out simple and not worry about problems until there are problems.
  • Get a Mopar TBI dizzy, file a tooth narrower to reasonably emulate the Ford wheel, then either re-pin the wheel to point to Mopar #1 or re-lace the plug wires as needed (remember Ford’s #1 is different than Mopar #1, and re-lacing the dizzy wires might be easier).
  • Install the rest of the system hardware – remote TFI, harness, fuel system, sensors, etc.
  • see if it will start and idle.

If not, then diagnosis is in order, and using a Ford wheel in the dizzy might be required.

Whatever you guys do for modifying a dizzy and wheel, just remember to maintain the relationship between #1 piston at TDC, #1 wire going to #1 sparkplug, rotor pointing at #1 on dizzy cap, and Hall sensor aligns with falling edge on narrow tooth of the trigger wheel.

Here’s a good read:
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/EECIVInnerWorkings/

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662753
12/12/10 02:48 AM
12/12/10 02:48 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
I've been thinking about this again recently, and now I'm even more confused about the distributor Basically, I have no idea how the guy with the hybrid ford/dodge distributor has a running engine

Since the rotor rotation is opposite between ford (CCW) & dodge (CW), and the odd tooth is not symmetrical, running the Ford distributor backwards will produce a different pulse train in relation to where the rotor is pointing.

In the Ford engine, the rotor 'leads' the big gap (going CCW). Running backwards (CW in a dodge), the rotor would follow the big gap. And the small tooth would be on opposite edges. Now if you flipped the Ford wheel over, so the teeth are pointing up, then the pulse train would match the original engine when spinning CW.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Since apparently running backwards is close enough to work, I'd bet that if we shaved the tooth on the mopar 8 tooth wheel, it'd work just fine

I'm considering bolting together my 5.9l and making sure it'll idle before I build the 408. Then I'm not troubleshooting two new things at once

(Cool firing order/rotation site: http://www.boxwrench.net/specs_index.htm )

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662754
12/14/10 12:51 PM
12/14/10 12:51 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
I hadn't considered the rotation of the wheel, but I'll be doing a bigblock and it's the same rotation as the 5.0. Lucky for me.

Overall, I think the EEC-IV's reaction to what we're doing will follow this process -- -- all in milliseconds, too. Followed by some Dear-diary typing into some long-term adaptive tables.

I agree that shaving 1 tooth on the Mopar wheel will be an easy route, I mentioned earlier that it the TFI triggers on a falling edge, so make sure to pivot on that feature when orienting your wheel.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662755
12/14/10 03:04 PM
12/14/10 03:04 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

I hadn't considered the rotation of the wheel, but I'll be doing a bigblock and it's the same rotation as the 5.0. Lucky for me.

Overall, I think the EEC-IV's reaction to what we're doing will follow this process -- -- all in milliseconds, too. Followed by some Dear-diary typing into some long-term adaptive tables.

I agree that shaving 1 tooth on the Mopar wheel will be an easy route, I mentioned earlier that it the TFI triggers on a falling edge, so make sure to pivot on that feature when orienting your wheel.

Big block? Cheater It will match up as long as you orient the teeth down. I'm tentatively hoping to orient the teeth up, so I can use the dodge hall sensor, which doesn't require pulling the wheel off to replace the hall sensor.

From the autocad drawing you sent me, it looks like the teeth on the dodge wheel are on average 2-4* narrower than the Ford wheel. Like I mentioned above, if going backwards is close enough to work, I'd bet being 4* narrower than stock won't hurt anything. The other option I came up with was some way to make the necessary teeth that much wider

I heard back from the online machinist about making a wheel of the right diameter, so I can add the teeth in myself. Including the material, is $85 for one, $160 for three, or $215 for five. It would be similar to the pictures of Andrewh's trigger wheel.

Now I need to find a dodge 8 tooth wheel or two to experiment with

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662756
12/15/10 12:43 PM
12/15/10 12:43 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Do you have any junkyards near you to get trigger wheels?

If not, Car-part.com showed a handful of whole distributors for $19-25, which is the going rate at the PickaPart near me.

You probably know, but make sure to get a TBI dizzy, NOT a Maggie (Mag has a 1-tooth wheel). TBI is a little uncommon, only from around 88-91 on 318 and 89-92 on 360 -- and only in trucks, too.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662757
12/15/10 02:35 PM
12/15/10 02:35 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
We have one junkyard in town. I think they have 3 or 4 magnum trucks. None of them with the 8 tooth wheel - I already checked

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662758
12/15/10 11:51 PM
12/15/10 11:51 PM
Nevada
D
dezduster Offline
pro stock
dezduster  Offline
pro stock
D

Nevada
Great thread,stellar tech and its awesome the way you bounce ideas back and forth overcoming adversity. to ya.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662759
12/16/10 10:54 AM
12/16/10 10:54 AM
A
master
master
A

so a couple of things.
First yes someone is running it with a sb too, so rotation doesn't seem to matter.

Two, I think you are over thinking the wheel size and tooth size.

First, there is no way for them to know which one is the short tooth till after it passes.
So my bet is it just does a cal check.
By the way I just past number 1, where do you think I am.

Now the only concern I have is how they figure out which one is the short tooth.

Timing should not be an issue. Since they use the tooth as the trigger. My bet is that the smaller diameter of the mopar wheel will make up for the size of the teeth since the ford wheel is probably proportionally the same. But I don't want to do the math to figure it out this morning. But basically what I am saying is, why have that complex table programmed in if you don't need it. What purpose would it server to calculate timing based on the size of the teeth.

back to how they figure out the short tooth.
my concern there is as you speculated, why not have a table based on rpm for how long it takes that tooth to pass to say yep, here is number 1.

But I say that isn't fluid enough.
Wouldn't it be smarter to say, take the average of the last 7 teeth and compare to the next one.
if it is shorter call it number 1.
I understand rapid acceleration might change it, but would be easy with tps to say, you are at wot, so don't take that measurement, or take x percent difference due to accelleration.

I bet it will take the smaller wheel into account.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662760
10/26/11 06:25 PM
10/26/11 06:25 PM
A
master
master
A

since fury fan reminded me about it.
btt.
so you have something to work on after the fan is done.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662761
10/27/11 01:14 AM
10/27/11 01:14 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Nope, haven't done anything else on it. Still hoping to come across a cheap ECU on flea-bay

But I was thinking (oops), I don't want my truck to be down for the duration of figuring out the EFI, so it would be nice to have a test stand for the engine. And if I do the transmission controller, it would be nice to have a transmission test stand. I have a buddy with a spare 318 I could probably use, and I have a 46RE that in theory should work alright.

Once I get all my 'before snow' projects done here, I'll look into starting these projects.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: dezduster] #662762
10/27/11 09:03 PM
10/27/11 09:03 PM
Ohio
R
ralphie361 Offline
ralphie361  Offline
R

Ohio
You guys are awesome. I finished my efi magnum 68 fury in march and have put 4000 miles on it since. I think I put 3000 on it the previous 6 years I owned it. I have a big block belvedere and would love to inject it. I will be watching closely!

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: ralphie361] #662763
11/01/11 01:03 PM
11/01/11 01:03 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Hoozie -
Depending on how you plan to do the wiring you can bench test some of it, I think.

My plan was to put a terminal block junction on the stub out of the EEC, install some relays for ign, fuel pump, etc, similar to what the EEC used. Then make a new engine harness to attach to teh terminal block.

By tickling the EEC with ign the FP should give the 2-sec prime pulse. If the dizzy is spun via an electric drill or drill press (which would give various steady speeds) the EEC should figure out the 'engine' is starting/running and start to fire injectors. If using a drill press you'd need some way to keep teh dizzy housing from rotating.

All of the above would require having a bunch of indicator lights wired in, or you'd need to go round-robin with a test lite (if it works). If the injectors don't start lighting up, then it's kinda normal EEC diagnosis.

You might need an LED to watch the injectors flash, I've never tried a standard test light to see how it works.

My harness/terminal setup is probably 3/4 complete but bigger fish keep getting in front of it. I've contemplated buying the EZ-EFI multiport retrofit kit, but I know I won't have time to install that either.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662764
11/01/11 09:41 PM
11/01/11 09:41 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
I guess that should work as well. My main concern right now is making the distributor run reverse from what Ford does. Even if it activates the injectors, about the only way to know if it'll run is to throw it on an engine. And I don't want to break in a new 408 with a bad system.

I did find a 5.0 ECU (A9S) on ebay today. Should have it sometime soon.

Got several of my 'before snow' projects done recently, so getting closer to being able to work on this some more

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662765
12/14/11 11:18 PM
12/14/11 11:18 PM
Washington
E
edl94 Offline
edl94  Offline
E

Washington
Wow glad I found this thred. I have been planning on doing this EFI swap on my 440. Like the rest of you I have found out the dizzy is the hard part. If you have $700.00 laying around try this. http://www.massfloefi.com/replacement-add-on-parts/distributors/mallory-mopar-tfi-distributor.html If you are not made of money check out this link. http://www.gofastforless.com/ignition/tfi.htm Could it be true? Can you run a TFI unit on points? If you can a modification to the number one point cam lobe to shorten the dwell is all you would need. Lock up the advance and away you go. It may be too good to be true. Check it out and let me know if you think this will work. I have almost collected all of the parts to do this I just need a dizzy.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: edl94] #662766
12/15/11 01:25 AM
12/15/11 01:25 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

Could it be true? Can you run a TFI unit on points?

I guess it should work. My main concern would be how the points bouncing would affect the signal going to the ECU. Then just need to figure how much to modify the lobe to get the timing right on #1.

Interesting thought indeed

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662767
12/15/11 01:49 PM
12/15/11 01:49 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Thanks for the contribution, EDL94!!!

That $700 dizzy would solve 1 problem, that's for sure, but for me it kills the budget and the main justification for the 5.0 EFI.

This dizzy is a lot cheaper and might work just fine, too. http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-...d=mallory+mopar

I simply need to verify if hte dizzy I made works electrically, and then review how to mount/orient the wheel.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662768
12/15/11 03:37 PM
12/15/11 03:37 PM
A
master
master
A

I may have missed it, 3 pages worth, but did you try to get an output from the ford distributer and compare it to the dodge one?

also since these are batch fired, does it matter which on is #1 to the computer?

and finally, if either of you have everything but the distributer, I have a sb unilite sitting around, perhaps you can try to run it straight and see what it does? cut a tooth for where it indexes in the ford if you need to.

and then finally, if neither of you has time, send the stuff to me and I will try both, my distributer with the odd wheel in it and the unilite.

I think all I need is the computer and harness. I can reuse my injectors. if they plug in.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Andrewh] #662769
12/15/11 11:18 PM
12/15/11 11:18 PM
Washington
E
edl94 Offline
edl94  Offline
E

Washington
Andrewh,
The ford system is sequental fuel injection and needs #1 id. It also requires a digital signal to the TFI module. I think the unilite dist has a magnetic pickup that would not supply that clean digital signal the computer is looking for. I wish it would work.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662770
12/15/11 11:50 PM
12/15/11 11:50 PM
Washington
E
edl94 Offline
edl94  Offline
E

Washington
Yes I know Fury fan I don't have the money laying around for that distributer either. Just thought I would point out that it is out there. I am a long ways from a running engine Working on a full restoration and in the assembly phase. I have collected most of the parts needed for the mass air system and still trying to figure out the dizzy. I have looked at the other hall effect dizzys but dont want to waste money on something that may or may not work. The small block guys other than the rotation issue seem to have it easy there is room for a modified ford dizzy. The diameter is too big for a 440 it hits the valve cover. My plan was to make an adaptor redo the end of the shaft and run it, till I got one in my hands there is no way to make it fit. I hope moving the ford guts works so I can copy it. I might try running points to start just to see if it works.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: edl94] #662771
04/22/12 09:00 PM
04/22/12 09:00 PM
Washington
E
edl94 Offline
edl94  Offline
E

Washington
It runs! I woke up the wife at 7:30 this morning to the roar of the cam break in. Still needs tuning but it responds to throttle ok and idles well. Still alot of work to do but the ford system will work on a big block mopar.

7175410-post3.jpg (188 downloads)
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: edl94] #662772
04/22/12 11:24 PM
04/22/12 11:24 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

It runs! I woke up the wife at 7:30 this morning to the roar of the cam break in. Still needs tuning but it responds to throttle ok and idles well. Still alot of work to do but the ford system will work on a big block mopar.

Awesome!

Now hit us with the details

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: edl94] #662773
04/23/12 12:16 AM
04/23/12 12:16 AM
Marion Illinois
72d100 Offline
master
72d100  Offline
master

Marion Illinois
Quote:

thats a cool looking setup cant wait to hear more about it

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662774
04/23/12 12:38 AM
04/23/12 12:38 AM
Washington
E
edl94 Offline
edl94  Offline
E

Washington
Details: It is a 440 with 9.8 to 1 compression, stealth heads, Holley street dominator intake modified (for EFI), Lunati 60303 cam, windage tray, Schumacher try-y headers, and TTI 2.5 x-pipe exhaust.
Oh you ment the EFI details. This would not be considered a buget build. I did use a couple of used parts from ebay,(The MAF and 30# injectors) the rest was new. The fuel rails,and intake throttle body adaptor are edelbrock. The intake is a modified holley street dominator. I used a holley throttle body, painless wire harness,and all new ford style sensors. The trick is still the dizzy. I spent the cash and bought a mallory 95 series dizzy. It has a hall effect sensor and #1 cyl ID built in, the problem is #1 mopar and #1 ford are not the same. Just put the #1 ford or #2 mopar plug wire at the #1 id spot and wire the rest around the circle. the rotor still needs to point at mopar #1 at tdc. Hard to type but not that hard in real life. I also am using a quarterhorse programing card. It allows me full access to tuning and datalogging the ford ecu. I am using an A9L ecu all I have done so far is change the injector firing order, the cid, and the injector size. It seems to run OK but will need some work run great. I remote mounted the TFI on a heat sinc from ebay. I know I have not covered it all but if any one has more questions ask and I wil do my best to answer.

7175765-post1.jpg (182 downloads)
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: edl94] #662775
04/23/12 09:41 AM
04/23/12 09:41 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Glad to hear you had success, EDL94!

Hooziwhatsit - your turn.

EDIT -
EDL94 - can you give us some details of what you did for a fuel pump? In-tank? baffled? no baffles? external pump?

Last edited by Fury Fan; 04/23/12 09:42 AM.
Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: edl94] #662776
04/23/12 05:13 PM
04/23/12 05:13 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

Details: It is a 440 with 9.8 to 1 compression, stealth heads, Holley street dominator intake modified (for EFI), Lunati 60303 cam, windage tray, Schumacher try-y headers, and TTI 2.5 x-pipe exhaust.
Oh you ment the EFI details. This would not be considered a buget build. I did use a couple of used parts from ebay,(The MAF and 30# injectors) the rest was new. The fuel rails,and intake throttle body adaptor are edelbrock. The intake is a modified holley street dominator. I used a holley throttle body, painless wire harness,and all new ford style sensors. The trick is still the dizzy. I spent the cash and bought a mallory 95 series dizzy. It has a hall effect sensor and #1 cyl ID built in, the problem is #1 mopar and #1 ford are not the same. Just put the #1 ford or #2 mopar plug wire at the #1 id spot and wire the rest around the circle. the rotor still needs to point at mopar #1 at tdc. Hard to type but not that hard in real life. I also am using a quarterhorse programing card. It allows me full access to tuning and datalogging the ford ecu. I am using an A9L ecu all I have done so far is change the injector firing order, the cid, and the injector size. It seems to run OK but will need some work run great. I remote mounted the TFI on a heat sinc from ebay. I know I have not covered it all but if any one has more questions ask and I wil do my best to answer.

So it looks like you used this distributor? Good to know that it does work with the Ford stuff. Could also mean it would be easier to fab our own set up, if it's not sensitive to small changes
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-9557814/

Does the Holley Throttle body flow more air than the stock ford one? How big of MAF did you get? Going with all new stuff otherwise probably lowers the troubleshooting, but I don't imagine it helps the pocketbook

I've looked at the quarterhorse/binary editor stuff before, and it looks like it should work pretty well. I'd be curious to know how the tuning goes once you get into it.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662777
04/23/12 11:27 PM
04/23/12 11:27 PM
Washington
E
edl94 Offline
edl94  Offline
E

Washington
Yes that is the distributer I used. If I had a small block I would have modified a ford dist. The throttle body is this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-112-510/ 80mm. The MAF sensor is a used pro flow 80mm calibrated for the used 30lb injectors both from Ebay. I wont be tuning for a while still have wiring to do. and then final body work and paint. But I will keep you posted when the time comes.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662778
04/24/12 09:34 PM
04/24/12 09:34 PM
Washington
E
edl94 Offline
edl94  Offline
E

Washington
I copied this for the fuel pump. I think it works well and keeps the stock look. Installed a new prebent 3/8 line and used the stock 5/16 for a return. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...de/viewall.html

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: edl94] #662779
04/25/12 09:46 AM
04/25/12 09:46 AM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Did you use nylon fuel lines as the article mentions? I've been lookign for that stuff for a while, can find anythign specifically noted as SAE for fuel usage.

Also -
There's a special SAE hose for immersion in a fuel tank, were you able to find some?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662780
04/25/12 11:11 PM
04/25/12 11:11 PM
Washington
E
edl94 Offline
edl94  Offline
E

Washington
I thought about the nylon line but went with steel. I dont know where to find it either. It looks like a good option if you can find some. The fuel pump came with a short section of hose and clamps that I assume are correct for immersion. I used this pump.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-fuel-pump-255lph.html

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: edl94] #662781
04/26/12 12:17 PM
04/26/12 12:17 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Yeah, I would presume BBK to include the correct immersion-rated hose.

I've had my eye peeled for nylon for a few years, foudn some listed for fuel and oil but nothing with an SAE spec# on it, so I'll use steel too.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662782
10/02/12 06:18 PM
10/02/12 06:18 PM
Orlando, Florida
B
Buck Offline
Buck  Offline
B

Orlando, Florida
Was the dizzy ever solved?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: Fury Fan] #662783
01/28/13 04:56 AM
01/28/13 04:56 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Quote:

From an oddfire/evenfire perspective the teeth are spaced equally on both wheels with the exception of the oddball tooth/gap. However, the Mopar wheel has teeth that overall are a bit narrower than the Ford, and this will affect the system to an as-yet unknown degree (pun intended), because the coil is fired on the falling edge of the wheel, which will affect timing.

I've been looking at this again the last couple days, and found some more information on the distributor signals.

According to this document Link (section 2.2.7 PIP), the PIP signal is used to execute the internal base loop. So, that must be why the Ford distributor spinning backwards, and why the Mallory Hall effect distributor work.

So, if the Dodge 8 tooth wheel has evenly spaced teeth, and we can file the #1 indicator to match the Ford one, I think it should work just fine

This link shows a waveform of the Ford trigger wheel.

I also found the Ford Lightning MAF (LMAF) is relatively cheap at ~$100, but most people say it's only good for ~500hp (crank or rear wheel not exactly specified). A built 360 will be close to that, and a 408 should be well over it. Then you're into the realm of $200-300 MAFs.

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: hooziewhatsit] #662784
01/30/13 11:44 AM
01/30/13 11:44 AM
New Orleans, LA
E
EFIDynoTuning Offline
EFIDynoTuning  Offline
E

New Orleans, LA
i read the 1st two pages and skimmed over this one, so if anything i mention has already been discussed disregard it this is just a brief overview

the ford 90mm maf is good for approx ~450rwhp

when you can reprogram the ecu you don't have to have 'calibrated' meters for specific injectors, you can use anything you wish, a calibrated meter simply 'scales' the airflow by the same percentage as the injector size increase FOR A STOCK TUNE so the vehicle runs about right

with that said the only 2 sensors i recommend are the pro-m 60lb calibrated 85mm or 80mm sensors (good for ~800rwhp) and the 05+ slot style (high flow) sensor available from vmp hpx and the like (good for 3" =900rwhp, 3.5" = 1200rwhp, 4" = 1600rwhp), a factory 05+ ford slot sensor can be had on ebay for $16 from the user massairflow4u or something like that, for a few bucks more you can also get the connector as well so be sure to get that if you go that route, now the factory slot $16 special (non-high flow) is only good for 3" = 240rwhp, 3.5" = 340rwhp, 4" = 430rwhp, so it wouldn't be feasible for most

however, it appears the only difference between the high flow slot and the factory slot is that they burn 2 traces on the board, no one has verified this yet though so if someone wishes to do so post back with your results, the high flow slots are actually stock ford meters they 'recalibrate'

the ford ecu's (excluding the early 80s 4cyl svo's) use high impedance injectors, its useless to use anything other than siemens deka high impedance 80lb injectors, they typically sell for about $365 for a set of 8, be sure they are genuine theres a bunch of fakes that have hit the market recently

a set of 80s in a v8 at 40psi base fuel pressure is good for approx 1000rwhp, it will be less with boost

a single intank walbro 255 l/h pump is good for about 700hp crank

the speed density ford and mass air ford ecu's use the hego's (o2's) on a per bank basis, you can specifically designate which injector you want to assign to each o2 sensor, you can also disable the 2nd o2 sensor if you wish and run only one, especially useful for turbo setups

-decipha

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: EFIDynoTuning] #662785
01/30/13 01:11 PM
01/30/13 01:11 PM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline
master
roadrunninMark  Offline
master

GA
Looking at your MAF limitations, why can't you run two smaller MAFs or two of the lightnings? Can run some sort of "V" air intake. Would the computer be able to add the 2 and adjust the fuel accordingly?

Re: 5.9 efi a different way [Re: roadrunninMark] #662786
01/30/13 01:19 PM
01/30/13 01:19 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Is that thing running yet? What's it been 4 years?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7