06/03/08 01:48 AM
06/03/08 01:48 AM
near Harrisburg, Pa
440trk Offline
master
440trk  Offline
master

near Harrisburg, Pa
Did I miss it, or have you still not posted the Anti-freeze to water mixture? As mentioned, too much anti-freeze will make it run hotter..... If your anti-freeze is more than a 50/50 mix, it may very well be part of the problem.

While I realize you don't have a clutch fan now.... adding the MP clutch fan setup may very well help you out. I've had great success in the past using 440 A/C clutch fan setups on non a/c vehicles. They move LOTS more air and work great. That along with a good fan shroud has fixed any BB overheating problems due to air movement. Now if you're running WAY lean at idle....that could be another issue.

Where is your vacuum advance hooked to? Ported or manifold vacuum?

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: 440trk] #66175
06/03/08 08:50 PM
06/03/08 08:50 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
How does one tell between (or get) an AC fan clutch setup as opposed to non AC fan clutch? I'm in a similar boat as 69charger.

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: Exit1965] #66176
06/03/08 10:17 PM
06/03/08 10:17 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
timing is 15 initial, 20 deg mech adv, total 35 plus vac adv 14 (ported port)

yes it cools down when you revv it in N,

Mr Gasket highflow stat.

50/50 mix.

So i've been reading posts i searched for on dodge charger board while moparts was down, and found this one: web page

at the end on page 2, he says it was the fuel pump in the end. Now hear me out, last night my car actually died on me at about 190, i started it back up held the rpms at 2000 for a min and drove off, after several attempts of this i was off, and drove 20 mi home with no problems (but always moving, temps were at 180 moving, and creeping up at lights, but they were all short), but i have been noticing lately it's not running that good idle when hot as it used to. I don't know why it starts running like crap when it's hot, but i'm putting 2 and 2 together here and thinking that the fuel pump is getting hot, and failing, at idle causing a lean condition which = HEAT, and ultimately my problem. I'm sure my combo, parts used are good in the cooling system, and this just doesn't make cents. Whatcha think? ummm?

I don't want to throw parts at this like alum rad, fan, i should be able to cool with totally stock stuff, which by the way is all NEW, new rad, belts, water pump, hoses, stat, rad cap, ect....i'm done with the cooling system, it's all new stock stuff it should be enough to cool my stock motor no?

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #66177
06/03/08 11:49 PM
06/03/08 11:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The fact that it cools down when you rev it makes testing for the problem quite a bit easier.

The mixture and timing issues you are looking at are a possibility, but other things are much more likely.

To zero in on the problem:

Take the temp of the radiator at the inlet and at the outlet (buy/borrow an infrared gun). You should have somewhere in the 25 to 30 degree temp drop from inlet to outlet.

If you have less than 20 degrees temp drop, you are probably looking at low airflow. Not enough air to cool the water going through the radiator.

If you have more than 30 degrees temp drop, you are probably looking at low water flow. Not enough water to carry the heat out of the engine.

If you have the right temp drop, and the engine still heats up, then you are looking at being low on both water and airflow, or perhaps the mixture and timing issues.

Also try running it with the hood open. If it stays cool with the hood open, you have another thing that says airflow shortage.

If you have an airflow issue try the following tests.

With engine idling and the hood closed, reach in through the grill area and feel for airflow at the radiator. All the airflow should be INTO the radiator. Many times you will feel air coming back out of the radiator, especially at the corners. All this does is recycle already hot air and makes a huge difference in cooling. If you find air coming back out, it is very likely it is because the fan is too far into the shrould. Especially on tapered shrouds, the air will get pushed back out. Remember that a very large part of the air comes out the ends of the blades and if it hits the taper of the shroud it will be directed back towards the radiator. As I said earlier, having only .375 of an inch of fan in the shroud worked the best for me. Also check to see if hot air is finding its way back to the front of the radiator out around any openings by the radiator, or bouncing off something and coming back along the ground.

If the fan in the shroud doesn't do it, and you are still low on flow, try another fan. When I tested them, the 7 and 5 blade (on clutches) fans moved about the same amount of air, and stalled the clutch at the same rpm. I like the 5 because it is quieter, lighter and easier to install.

I that still doesn't do it, you will need to look at spinning it faster with different pulleys.

If the testing shows a water flow issue, that is easy to fix with a bigger pump and high flow thermostat, or by speeding up the pump with pulley changes.

Be methodical and collect your data carefully, and I think you will be able to track it down.

Last edited by booster; 06/03/08 11:50 PM.
Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #66178
06/04/08 05:45 AM
06/04/08 05:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but have you checked your vacuum advance??? If they are not working properly, engines run hotter, lose some performance, and get even worse mileage!

One reason I like GM luxury cars of that era, like a 1971 Caddy I had for a long time...Idiot lights!
Hot light, then if you really push it, there was the stop engine light!
Had no idea how hot it was running, Hot light only came on once or twice on 98 degree days after stopping for gas.
After having a 1973 New Yorker, it was nice to not forever watch and worry over the Temp gauge, with the A/C on! Something to be said for being an idiot.

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #66179
06/04/08 09:07 AM
06/04/08 09:07 AM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Quote:

timing is 15 initial, 20 deg mech adv, total 35 plus vac adv 14 (ported port)

Mr Gasket highflow stat.

50/50 mix.

So i've been reading posts i searched for on dodge charger board while moparts was down, and found this one: web page

at the end on page 2, he says it was the fuel pump in the end. Now hear me out, last night my car actually died on me at about 190, i started it back up held the rpms at 2000 for a min and drove off, after several attempts of this i was off, and drove 20 mi home with no problems (but always moving, temps were at 180 moving, and creeping up at lights, but they were all short), but i have been noticing lately it's not running that good idle when hot as it used to. I don't know why it starts running like crap when it's hot, but i'm putting 2 and 2 together here and thinking that the fuel pump is getting hot, and failing, at idle causing a lean condition which = HEAT, and ultimately my problem. I'm sure my combo, parts used are good in the cooling system, and this just doesn't make cents. Whatcha think? ummm?

I don't want to throw parts at this like alum rad, fan, i should be able to cool with totally stock stuff, which by the way is all NEW, new rad, belts, water pump, hoses, stat, rad cap, ect....i'm done with the cooling system, it's all new stock stuff it should be enough to cool my stock motor no?

I think you're on to something. I've been watching this thread and it contains lots of good cooling system tips.However I don't feel 200 is too hot. My car will creep up to 200-210 in traffic on a hot day,but it never affects how it runs. I would look long and hard at fuel and fuel delivery,from the tank to the carb. Maybe borrow a different carb to try?
If your car creeps up to 220-230 or higher,forget everything I said and go back to your cooling system. But I wouldn't worry about 200 and it should't cause running issues! Good luck

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: Dcuda69] #66180
06/04/08 10:19 AM
06/04/08 10:19 AM
IL
71383beep Offline
top fuel
71383beep  Offline
top fuel

IL
I would have to agree. 200 is not hot. Both my 383 bee runs and idles here as well as my good friends 318 satellite. The factory built alot of these cars with 195 t stats (including mine) anyways so i can't believe that 5 extra degrees qualifies as hot.

I'm not sying that your not expereincing problems. I just think that something fuel or ignition specific is happening. I have heard of ignition wires doing wiered things when warmed up...the wire has a break that when it heats up and expands the contacts pull apart. when it cools down it works fine.

'73 GK6 Challenger Rallye - 340 4-Speed
Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT #66181
06/04/08 12:48 PM
06/04/08 12:48 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Quote:

The fact that it cools down when you rev it makes testing for the problem quite a bit easier.

The mixture and timing issues you are looking at are a possibility, but other things are much more likely.

To zero in on the problem:

Take the temp of the radiator at the inlet and at the outlet (buy/borrow an infrared gun). You should have somewhere in the 25 to 30 degree temp drop from inlet to outlet.

If you have less than 20 degrees temp drop, you are probably looking at low airflow. Not enough air to cool the water going through the radiator.

If you have more than 30 degrees temp drop, you are probably looking at low water flow. Not enough water to carry the heat out of the engine.

If you have the right temp drop, and the engine still heats up, then you are looking at being low on both water and airflow, or perhaps the mixture and timing issues.

Also try running it with the hood open. If it stays cool with the hood open, you have another thing that says airflow shortage.

If you have an airflow issue try the following tests.

With engine idling and the hood closed, reach in through the grill area and feel for airflow at the radiator. All the airflow should be INTO the radiator. Many times you will feel air coming back out of the radiator, especially at the corners. All this does is recycle already hot air and makes a huge difference in cooling. If you find air coming back out, it is very likely it is because the fan is too far into the shrould. Especially on tapered shrouds, the air will get pushed back out. Remember that a very large part of the air comes out the ends of the blades and if it hits the taper of the shroud it will be directed back towards the radiator. As I said earlier, having only .375 of an inch of fan in the shroud worked the best for me. Also check to see if hot air is finding its way back to the front of the radiator out around any openings by the radiator, or bouncing off something and coming back along the ground.

If the fan in the shroud doesn't do it, and you are still low on flow, try another fan. When I tested them, the 7 and 5 blade (on clutches) fans moved about the same amount of air, and stalled the clutch at the same rpm. I like the 5 because it is quieter, lighter and easier to install.

I that still doesn't do it, you will need to look at spinning it faster with different pulleys.

If the testing shows a water flow issue, that is easy to fix with a bigger pump and high flow thermostat, or by speeding up the pump with pulley changes.

Be methodical and collect your data carefully, and I think you will be able to track it down.

Great information boys and girls. Pay attention. I don't like to see 200 degrees in my cars. Probably not the worst thing that could happen but mine run better at about 180 or less. -Bob

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: BobR] #66182
06/05/08 10:59 AM
06/05/08 10:59 AM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
here's an update, i got the milodon high flow pump, new carter fuel pump, new heater hoses (going to bring them up to the fender as they are too close to the exhaust manifolds), coolant, going to clean/inspect carb for plugged jet, and i'm putting the electric fan back on since that wasn't the problem, plus at the last mopar show when i had no heat issues i was just about the only car that could idle for 1hr without overheating with the electric fan on!!!! now i can't just drive!!!! what a turn of events.

So hopefully after changing the fuel pump, water pump, flush/fill coolant, clean carb, putting electric fan back on, it better be fixed or else... Right now i don't care what fixes is i just want it to run cool, i had it running cool once.....

I'm really thinking the fuel pump is the issues, that would explain my lean surging at cruise, running hot at idle, and the running rough/dieing at idle.....that's the only logical explanation for all my symptoms.....for now.....

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #66183
06/05/08 11:39 AM
06/05/08 11:39 AM
Newburgh, NY
Old_Moparz Offline
master
Old_Moparz  Offline
master

Newburgh, NY
Not sure if you looked into it, but even new parts can be defective. You might have something brand new, but if the problem still exists, you automatically assume it's another cause. I remember having electrical issues on my '69 Charger almost 30 years ago & the same thing happened. I put in several new parts for whatever it was back then, but the issue was still there. I finally gave up & brought it to a shop where a friend worked & they diagnosed the problem being one of the new items I installed. I spent hours & lots of money chasing a problem I had & never thought to make sure I had working parts to begin with.

I saw a lot of good info suggested on this thread, but sometimes the simplest things are always overlooked.

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: Old_Moparz] #66184
06/05/08 11:42 AM
06/05/08 11:42 AM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Not sure if you looked into it, but even new parts can be defective. You might have something brand new, but if the problem still exists, you automatically assume it's another cause. I remember having electrical issues on my '69 Charger almost 30 years ago & the same thing happened. I put in several new parts for whatever it was back then, but the issue was still there. I finally gave up & brought it to a shop where a friend worked & they diagnosed the problem being one of the new items I installed. I spent hours & lots of money chasing a problem I had & never thought to make sure I had working parts to begin with.

I saw a lot of good info suggested on this thread, but sometimes the simplest things are always overlooked.

well all my symptoms could be explained by the fuel pump, it's the only thing i haven't changed...

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #66185
06/05/08 12:30 PM
06/05/08 12:30 PM
Pangaea
B5 Bee Offline
master
B5 Bee  Offline
master

Pangaea
The only Mopar cooling problems I've had, once all systems were clean and working properly, were cars that had the OEM radiator changed with an inferior replacement or recored with a cheap core.

Most of the replacement cores and radiators have a low fin count and fewer tubes than the OEM units. Pay extra for the good stuff if you want a cool running motor. A core with 1 or 2 extra rows may be needed if the motor is modified, otherwise the OEM count should work on near stock motors. BTW, I've never seen a 3 or 4 core radiator, radiators have 1 core with 2, 3 or 4 rows.

My '70 440-6 Bee runs cool with the OEM 22" radiator in the summer here in FL, were as my 225 slant six '68 Signet with a 19" replacement tends to heat up at highway speeds.

How good were the OEM units when new? Even the 440-6 C bodies came with a 22" radiator!

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: B5 Bee] #66186
06/05/08 12:48 PM
06/05/08 12:48 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

The only Mopar cooling problems I've had, once all systems were clean and working properly, were cars that had the OEM radiator changed with an inferior replacement or recored with a cheap core.

Most of the replacement cores and radiators have a low fin count and fewer tubes than the OEM units. Pay extra for the good stuff if you want a cool running motor. A core with 1 or 2 extra rows may be needed if the motor is modified, otherwise the OEM count should work on near stock motors. BTW, I've never seen a 3 or 4 core radiator, radiators have 1 core with 2, 3 or 4 rows.

My '70 440-6 Bee runs cool with the OEM 22" radiator in the summer here in FL, were as my 225 slant six '68 Signet with a 19" replacement tends to heat up at highway speeds.

How good were the OEM units when new? Even the 440-6 C bodies came with a 22" radiator!

yes but this same rad did cool the car, now all of a sudden running hot, surge at cruise, heating at idle, and it DIES at 190-195????

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #66187
06/05/08 12:56 PM
06/05/08 12:56 PM
Indiana
W5Duster436 Offline
master
W5Duster436  Offline
master

Indiana
Quote:

well here's an update. I installed the rubber seal between the hood and rad support. I installed a 180* deg Mr Gasket high-flow stat. also removed the pusher electric fan. Now everything is stock except the high flow stat. WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE. The car used to drive (correction to my old post now that i payed attention to the gauge) 190 when crusin, and creeped from there at a stop, probably reaching 200 then vapor lock symptoms were setting in. Now it cruises at 175-180; it cycles between there, you can see the stat open and close, when it opens it drops instantly to 175, then slowly goes to 180. Last night i put the parking brake on, left it idling in gear for 15 mins, after a 1hr drive, and it stayed rock solid at 180. Plus i can hardly believe how much less engine compartment heat there is now. Also one thing that i thought was stupid when i was doing, but did anyways was wrap the fuel line in tinfoil. to my total amazement the fuel line is cold now, where before it was almost impossible to touch > that one blew me away. Anyways, i still have the milodon high flow pump on order, i'll put that in as well and i'm positive my running hot issues are solved now. thanks for all the help guys, i was really stumped on this one. i could not believe regular old tin foil was so effective at reflecting heat as it does. The part of the fuel line that i didn't wrap with foil was hot, and the part i did was totally cold!!!! i have a new item to add to my tool box as well as the following "must have items": duct tape, electrical tape, zip ties, JB weld, hammer, automotive GOOP, TIN FOIL!!!! i'm convinced that with these items anything can be fixed!!!

You can't believe what a good aluminum foil deflector beanie will do either! Put one on while you drive around and you'll be amazed! It will actually make you forget that anything is wrong with the car at all!

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #66188
06/05/08 12:59 PM
06/05/08 12:59 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Martin I'm just wondering what changed from when it was ok to now all of a sudden when it's acting up(vac leak,bad gas,pinhole leak in head gasket) but if it was something obvious I'm sure you would already know what it is. Dont give up we are with you on this one

Last edited by RapidRobert; 06/05/08 01:01 PM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #66189
06/05/08 01:34 PM
06/05/08 01:34 PM
Ball Ground GA
T
TrueTripleX Offline
super stock
TrueTripleX  Offline
super stock
T

Ball Ground GA
One more idea to consider. Do a block check at the radiator. I have had it happen where there was head gasket damage and it was leaking exhaust gases (and temperature) back in to the cooling system. Simple test to eliminate another possible cause.

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: TrueTripleX] #66190
06/05/08 02:39 PM
06/05/08 02:39 PM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
Better check your fuel pump pushrod, a lot of your driveability problems my stem from a rod that is short and not filling your bowls compleatly. these usually wear out.

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: ademon] #66191
06/05/08 03:25 PM
06/05/08 03:25 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Better check your fuel pump pushrod, a lot of your driveability problems my stem from a rod that is short and not filling your bowls compleatly. these usually wear out.

just pulled the fuel pump out, the push rod measures exactly to the service manual specs, with no wear at all. pump feels by hand to be really week when compared to the new one....

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: RapidRobert] #66192
06/05/08 03:29 PM
06/05/08 03:29 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Martin I'm just wondering what changed from when it was ok to now all of a sudden when it's acting up(vac leak,bad gas,pinhole leak in head gasket) but if it was something obvious I'm sure you would already know what it is. Dont give up we are with you on this one

I'm wondering the same, NOTHING CHANGED, this has progressively been getting worse and worse. Vac is 17" at idle in gear hot, rock steady. NO oil being used, NO coolant being used either, coolant perfectly clear, no scum/bubbles when running hot at idle, or when revved....so i would think the head gasket is fine...

Re: I give up, 440's just run HOT [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #66193
06/05/08 04:22 PM
06/05/08 04:22 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Oh I misunderstood I thought it happened all of a sudden.if its perfectly ok when moving but the temp starts to creep up at idle I gotta go back to what has been mentioned earlier not enough either air flow or water circulation(or a combination of both) but you've covered about everything so something that has already been touched on is not doing it's job. If I had to GUESS if I was sure that there was plenty of air flowing thru the rad then I would bite the bullet & get a better radiator(more area,more cores).The more I think about this if it was my deal I would buy a GOOD radiator.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7